Your thoughts on the 2007 Draft picks

OzFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering what people think of the draft picks made in 2007. Now we're a few weeks in to the season, I thought it would be nice for an early review.

(1) What did you think were the requirements before the draft?
(2) Straight after the draft did you feel those requirements had been met?
(3) How do you rate each of the picks now the season has started?
(4) If you could turn back time, are there any players that could have been picked (i.e were available when it was Oakland's turn to pick), and didn't, that you think would actually have been better for the team?

Looking forward to reading what you think.

Oz

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering what people think of the draft picks made in 2007. Now we're a few weeks in to the season, I thought it would be nice for an early review.

(4) If you could turn back time, are there any players that could have been picked (i.e were available when it was Oakland's turn to pick), and didn't, that you think would actually have been better for the team?

Oz

i think for your first post you are going to start a great discussion.

I'll start it off.

i thought a playmaker on offense was important. i wanted greg olsen over harell , but what do i know

2. no i do not

3.rate the picks
harrell = Incomplete

B-Jack= C+ I like his hands out of the backfield, but he seems very tenative when making his breaks.

J Jones = B+ great hands and size, just needs expeience, and some confidence.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur dhpackr; I was upset when we passed on Olson. At the time we were fairly deep on D-Line but weak at TE. Olson is going to pay dividends for the Bears once they learn how to use him. He would have been a good asset to our offensive scheme. I do think we did good though through the rest of the draft.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OzFan said:
Hi guys,

Oz

i think for your first post you are going to start a great discussion.

I'll start it off.

i thought a playmaker on offense was important. i wanted greg olsen over harell , but what do i know

2. no i do not

3.rate the picks
harrell = Incomplete

B-Jack= C+ I like his hands out of the backfield, but he seems very tenative when making his breaks.

J Jones = B+ great hands and size, just needs expeience, and some confidence.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt because it's waaaaay too premature to judge, but I think JJ is an A. Great find. He was a steal and I think in the future, other GMs will be bummed they had a shot at him.

And you're right, this is a good first post.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far the class looks like a B. Not as good as 2006 but still a pretty decent class.

I agree that I would've taken Greg Olsen over Justin Harrell BUT our Tight Ends are playing better than I actually thought they would. Franks and Lee have been rock solid this year.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Harrell doesn't get on the field this year then I'm going to be very sad that we didn't take the trade that the Browns offered us. Two first round picks next year would have been far better than Harrell this last year unless he really comes on strong at some point this year.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
If Harrell doesn't get on the field this year then I'm going to be very sad that we didn't take the trade that the Browns offered us. Two first round picks next year would have been far better than Harrell this last year unless he really comes on strong at some point this year.

i would have loved that trade, but its way too early to write off harrell

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems like the most awkward possible time to be asking this question. Obviously Jones and Crosby are looking like great picks right now, Harrell is not looking so hot, Brandon Jackson is looking fair at best, and not much can be said about any of the others. A lot will depend on how Harrell and Jackson turn out.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Whhhaaat? I think quite a bit can be said about Hall, White, Bishop, and even Wynn and probably Rouse. He didn't seem to make any mistakes in his limited amount of time he was in and put in at least one really good lick.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whhhaaat? I think quite a bit can be said about Hall, White, Bishop, and even Wynn and probably Rouse. He didn't seem to make any mistakes in his limited amount of time he was in and put in at least one really good lick.

Korey Hall is starting by default. It's too early to tell if he'll be any good. The running game hasn't been good, so it's hard to say much about his blocking, and he's seldom called on to catch a pass. Plus the Packers have gotten away from using him anyway, with all the empty backfields or one-back sets.

Bishop has been good on special teams, but we don't know if he'll be a good linebacker.

Who is White? Do you mean Corey White? He got cut.

Rouse did nothing in the preseason and saw his first game action today as a temporary fill-in for an injured player.

I'm not dumping on these guys, I'm just standing by my word that it's too early to say much about them.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Harrell ends up being a bust, Thompson gets a pass just because of the James Jones pick.

MONEY!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Harrell ends up being a bust, Thompson gets a pass just because of the James Jones pick.

MONEY!

Didn't Wolf have a draft where the first one or two picks didn't pan out, but he got so many good ones in later rounds that it was considered to be one of his best drafts?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far the class looks like a B. Not as good as 2006 but still a pretty decent class.

I agree that I would've taken Greg Olsen over Justin Harrell BUT our Tight Ends are playing better than I actually thought they would. Franks and Lee have been rock solid this year.

Right now i give the draft an overall B as well. The packers are 4-0 , but our first and second round draft pics have not done to much.

Crosby , and Jones seem to be gems, I look foward to seeing what Rouse and Barbre can contribute in 2007

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Right now i give the draft an overall B as well. The packers are 4-0 , but our first and second round draft pics have not done to much.

Crosby , and Jones seem to be gems, I look foward to seeing what Rouse and Barbre can contribute in 2007

I foresee JJ as being really, really good. He alone may make this draft a good draft.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones is a stud.

Ted Thompson seems to be very good at picking receivers that are NFL ready. (Greg Jennings, James Jones)

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Oz

(1) Get a receiver who could stretch the field, get a safety who would not give up big plays and have blown coverages, get some quality depth at corner, replace Bubba Franks, Get a runningback and some depth at linebacker, preferably a good pass coverage linebacker.

(2) Not at all. Im not saying we needed to fill all those requirements, but at least some of them or a couple of them. We filled NONE and we had picks and cap space.
(3) Round 1 & 2 were a waste/unnescecary picks. Jones was very good, Crosby is good. The rest who knows, too soon to tell.
(4) Trade for Moss, Pick Dwayne Bowe, Greg Olson, one of the 5 DB's that were taken right after our 1st round pick. Get some offensive line help. Pick up veteran FA RB at bargain bin price, see Jamal Lewis. Thats what i would have done.

The TE's have played much better than i expected but Olson would have been a nice TE of the future. James Jones has played well although he doesnt stretch the field like a Moss or Bowe would. Stretching the field would help our running game out as im sure you know. Running back has been really bad. There arent too many holes and when there are holes, they dont hit the holes so we give up on the running game which i understand. You cant develop the running game at the expense of losing games. Our offensive line has been terrible at run blocking. I mean, its good that they do a decent job at pass blocking and its nice to see these young guys you draft develop. But, if they cant run block, they arent complete NFL lineman and if they cant work it out by years end, something needs to be done.

Balls2TheWalls

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Oz

1. Roster Turnover - It is important to bring new blood to the team and improve at a lot of positions even if you only improve slightly.

Quantity and Quality - Teams hit on players anywhere in the draft, it is important that we have a lot of chances to bring in players. However, our scouting needs to be on point enough to hit on quality players.

2. I think I would like to believe they were met. I was dissapointed with our late round picks at first, and thought that the Justin Harrell pick was questionable.

3. Grades
Justin Harrell - D - Really was drafted into a deep position, and has to be questioned as a draft pick because of it. There were playmakers on the board at TE and S while there was quality on the OL.

Brandon Jackson - C - Has been unspectacular in games. He really needs to prove to me that he has the field vision that the coaches touted.

James Jones - A - Finding a player of his calibur even in the third round was incredible. Really made the pundits eat their words after calling him a reach, and he will be a staple of this offense for yeards to come.

Aaron Rouse - C - 1st on the depth chart behind a talented set of safeties. Hopefully he can realize his potential and find the field, but Bigby and Collins have looked very good, and it will be difficult for him.

Allen Barbre - C- - He is the kind of offensive lineman we want, but he is pretty deep on the depth chart. I was hoping he could bounce Coston on the depth chart, but he has yet to do so. He has the mentality and the speed to be something special in our system.

David Clowney - D- - He was the only receiver on our roster in the preseason that had blazing speed and it just didn't show on the field. He is on the practice squad, but didn't show enough to me that I can justify saying he should even get a roster spot in the future.

Korey Hall - C+ - Looked like a busted pick for a deep linebacking core, but he has stepped in and been solid out of the backfield as a receiving fullback. He is also part of an excellent special teams.

Desmond Bishop - C+ - Monster on special teams, and could be a staple at backup middle linebacker. Excellent pick for this point in the draft.

Mason Crosby - A - Great leg strength, good accuracy. Probably the best kicker in the draft, and he stepped right in to win our first game for us. Great pick.

Deshawn Wynn - B+ - I didn't even think he would make the roster, but he has looked like the best running back on the team. His mentality has changed, and his play has mirrored that.

Clark Harris - F - Blown pick. We needed quality at TE, and it wouldn't have been difficult for a marginal talent to make the roster there, and he didn't.

4. I think the only round where it would be sound to make a thought like that would be in the first round, and if I could turn back the hands of time to pick a different player there it would have to be one of these players:

Dwayne Bowe - WR - LSU
Robert Meachem - WR - Tennessee
Brandon Meriweather - S - Miami
Greg Olsen - TE - Miami
Aaron Ross - CB - Texas

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Harrell still boggles the mind. Even if he pulls through we're still loaded at DT. Did the injury reports in April tell us he wouldnt play the first month?

I like Brandon Jackson, don't forget how raw of a talent he is, he left after his junior year, if we had any other running backs on the roster he'd have time to develop and we wouldnt pin the fate of our run game on him

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Harrell still boggles the mind. Even if he pulls through we're still loaded at DT. Did the injury reports in April tell us he wouldnt play the first month?

Do not confuse people with the facts.

Do not ever question management or you will be kicked off the forum.

Get in line and think like everyone else

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

yeah, cause gawd forbid you think differently. like you said, if you disagree w/TT, then you are not a packer fan and must be banned!!!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

yeah, cause gawd forbid you think differently. like you said, if you disagree w/TT, then you are not a packer fan and must be banned!!!

You're both still here, aren't you? Stop *****ing about rules that you've made up in your minds and get back to making useful cotributions to this forum, please.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
HatestheEagles084 said:

I wouldnt know anything about that :new:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
de_real_deal said:

You're both still here, aren't you? Stop *****ing about rules that you've made up in your minds and get back to making useful cotributions to this forum, please.

This.

I haven't seen Dhpackr make one contribution to the forum.

You disagree with management. You're here. So shut up with the "you get banned if you disagree with management" BS.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think our draft is doing ok, but I'd really like another two years before going in depth with it though.

Members online

Latest posts