Your ideal WR target

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That seems all well and good and is what Ted Thompson would probably do - meanwhile if Amari goes to Baltimore, San Francisco, New Orleans or other team that's trying to contend, we're that much behind our attempts to close the gap with the elite. My opinion is that the team is going to need to take some risks with the cap and make a truly bold move to improve this offense. Signing Amari would do that.

Lol. Yeah, I don't like your particular idea so I must be Ted Thompson. You really found your way to the bottom of this one.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Playing it safe, in my opinion, isn't going to get Rodgers another ring.

I don't know what "playing it safe" means to you. As far as I can tell, it means doing anything with our cap other than signing Cooper?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what "playing it safe" means to you. As far as I can tell, it means doing anything with our cap other than signing Cooper?

Playing it safe is plugging holes with average contracts with upside talent. Hoping that they pan out and come reasonably cheap. Safe, good, probably a Ted Thompson strategy. Hence my analogy. The rest is building through the draft. Obviously what literally every team tries to do, some better than others. That's amounted to one superbowl in the Rodgers era and a lot of getting our teeth kicked in by teams with more talent. Taking risks would be getting an AJ Green, trading for an ODB, yes signing Amari, etc. Doing something to get these guys with elite talent to play here and giving them a contract commensurate with their talent. Not doing that may mean another trip to the playoffs, but I would find it hard to believe that with Adams, a rookie WR and Lazard that this team will beat San Francisco. I'd rather Adams, great vet, rookie WR than anything else. This thread is about IDEAL wr afterall, to me, this offseason that's Amari.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Playing it safe is plugging holes with average contracts with upside talent. Hoping that they pan out and come reasonably cheap. Safe, good, probably a Ted Thompson strategy. Hence my analogy. The rest is building through the draft. Obviously what literally every team tries to do, some better than others. That's amounted to one superbowl in the Rodgers era and a lot of getting our teeth kicked in by teams with more talent. Taking risks would be getting an AJ Green, trading for an ODB, yes signing Amari, etc. Doing something to get these guys with elite talent to play here and giving them a contract commensurate with their talent. Not doing that may mean another trip to the playoffs, but I would find it hard to believe that with Adams, a rookie WR and Lazard that this team will beat San Francisco. I'd rather Adams, great vet, rookie WR than anything else. This thread is about IDEAL wr afterall, to me, this offseason that's Amari.

It's not like the two options here are Cooper and bargain basement shopping. I realize it might be easier to pretend that's the case, but it isn't. Some people might just find it smarter to spend the resources differently. I can just as easily say "how are we going to compete with SF and BAL without any linebackers, blah, blah, blah..."

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Playing it safe, in my opinion, isn't going to get Rodgers another ring.

What is this obsession with "Getting Rodgers another ring" **** ? He should be trying to get the damn organisation another "Lombardi Trophy". I know it`s just semantics but FFS !!! He serves US, we don`t serve HIM. :mad:
This is exactly why I`m beginning to hate him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is this obsession with "Getting Rodgers another ring" **** ? He should be trying to get the damn organisation another "Lombardi Trophy". I know it`s just semantics but FFS !!! He serves US, we don`t serve HIM. :mad:
This is exactly why I`m beginning to hate him.
I was with you until the last sentence. Why hate Rodgers because some fans are misguided? Lol.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long have you been a GB fan, just curious?

Also no offense but Driver was not a "home run hitter". Easily my favorite Green Bay receiver ever....and would be in discussion for overall too. He was no speed demon or home run hitter.
Let me make this very clear for you. A smaller receiver with 4.3 speed that can hit a homerun was my hope, not a must set in stone. So please stop creating unnecessary arguments against my post as if my wish was an absolute and that I'm against anything else. I already acknowledged wanting a Jennings, driver type. I would take a smaller guy such as Cobb, Jennings who can work the slot with 4.5 speed.

Fan since the Magic man was QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just get one that can run 4.3-4.6, can run routes cleanly and disguise them well in breaks, can learn and run an offense quickly, and can catch when the ball is thrown to him and then run with it after he catches. There, I've checked every box we need in a WR :) Being a decent human being off the field also helps keep you on the field, so I hope he's that too.

as for AJ Green and a 3 year deal similar to Jimmy's? No thank you, it would be worse than the Jimmy deal. At least Jimmy was on the field. I don't think AJ has a full season in him anymore let alone 3. and there is a difference between Cobb and AJ, Cobb could at least find the field to get injured. and he's much younger in a football sense. he has a whole other "contract" worth of time less than AJ does. He had trouble staying healthy, but usually was at least playing. AJ? Can't even get on the field.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly only seeking explanation and al
Let me make this very clear for you. A smaller receiver with 4.3 speed that can hit a homerun was my hope, not a must set in stone. So please stop creating unnecessary arguments against my post as if my wish was an absolute and that I'm against anything else. I already acknowledged wanting a Jennings, driver type. I would take a smaller guy such as Cobb, Jennings who can work the slot with 4.5 speed.

Fan since the Magic man was QB.

FYI not making any argumentative stances or changing anything.

Ah the magic man..

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They made the guy the 5th highest receiver in the league and he's averaged 600 yards and 3 TD per season while playing in one of the league's best passing offenses with the league's best quarterbacks. From weeks 2 to 16, the man came up with 361 yards and zero touchdowns. It blows me away that people defend that move.

And again, the Chiefs could afford is pay two receivers that much money because their QB has been on a rookie contract. Mahomes will be making ~35M/season starting in 2021 and Watkins will be long gone.

In any case, I think we will compete with the Chiefs, Saints, Ravens, and 49ers by spending our resources wisely to improve the roster. That means making sure they maintain the offensive line and address the linebacker position in addition to finding more pass catching talent.
Hey, enough already. The post was about strategy, not the overall results. An apple is NOT an orange, OK??

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the chances GB signs Randall Cobb, I believe he's a FA and someone Rodgers trust?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the chances GB signs Randall Cobb, I believe he's a FA and someone Rodgers trust?
I suggested that he is someone we try to sign back for a minimum deal, but chances are I say there's like a 10% chance we sign him. I think everyone's moved on from him as far as management goes, and it wouldn't surprise me if Dallas tries to sign him for an 8 million dollar contract or more since McCarthy is there. I'd love to have him back though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say maybe we got rid of him a year too early, so that stunk for us. But if we brought him back there's a chance we also get to have him for the year too late part too. I don't think he's going anywhere for just a year contract again. I think they've made the decision to move forward when they let him go, I don't see them bringing him back. They need someone that is going to be here for the next 3 years at the top of their game or ascending.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Green was done 2 seasons ago. I wouldn't even sign him in camp I wanted him to still be playing at the end of the year.

Green, when healthy, has been one of the best 20 WRs in football each year he's played, and it's not like he's ancient or anything, he's the same age as Julio Jones. You can argue about whether he can actually STAY healthy, but when he has been healthy, he has been tremendous. Obviously any smart team that signs him will be paying a discounted price based on the unknown of how well he'll hold up.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple things....AJ Green cannot play a whole season. I LOVE THE GUY but that has become nearly a guarantee.

Robby Anderson is going to be arguably the biggest winner of the WR Free Agency money train...after Amari Cooper and maybe a guy like Green. Robby outside of Amari has the longest projection due to his age. Anderson on a cheap deal ain't even an option to consider.

I mentioned Anderson on a cheap deal. If he doesn't come cheap then the team shouldn't sign him. On a cheap contract he should absolutely be considered. He's young, extremely fast, and has managed to put up decent numbers in some pretty awful offenses. I also wouldn't discount what effect actually having experienced, good role models as teammates might have on him.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned Anderson on a cheap deal. If he doesn't come cheap then the team shouldn't sign him. On a cheap contract he should absolutely be considered. He's young, extremely fast, and has managed to put up decent numbers in some pretty awful offenses. I also wouldn't discount what effect actually having experienced, good role models as teammates might have on him.

Anderson wants 14 per and is not interested in giving teams discounts, per rotoworld.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hey, enough already. The post was about strategy, not the overall results. An apple is NOT an orange, OK??

I'm sorry my discussion with a different poster upset you. I will try to be more considerate of your feelings.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anderson wants 14 per and is not interested in giving teams discounts, per rotoworld.

That would be a deal breaker for the Packers IMO. They don't have the cap room to pay two #1 WR contracts and that is with Davante Adams on what I think is a great deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thought they got rid of him one year too early.
Given his injury history I was fine with it, but assumed they would replace him with a healthier equally skilled player. They didn't and that is what the problem was IMO. Had they replaced Cobb, we wouldn't have missed him.

If they can't find anyone else during Free Agency this time around, I would be fine with bringing Cobb back on a similar deal that he signed with the Cowboys. He and Rodgers have good chemistry and its one less starter needed to improve the roster.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That would be a deal breaker for the Packers IMO. They don't have the cap room to pay two #1 WR contracts and that is with Davante Adams on what I think is a great deal.

Given Anderson's background and reputation, I'd be very hesitant to give him serious guaranteed money.

Members online

Latest posts