Your ideal WR target

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question should be: how do you order the 2020 WR draft class, and who do you expect will be available to GB at #30?

Personally......you have Jeudy at the top than Lamb and Higgins together....after that I honestly could make an argument for about 10 guys. That is why the depth of this group is incredible.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robby Anderson

More of a good player and less of a prima donna. Probably the best WR available out there FA or Draft.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Green was done 2 seasons ago. I wouldn't even sign him in camp I wanted him to still be playing at the end of the year.
It is too early to make that kind of assessment. This is the SAME thing you guys said about Cobb last year, and the dude still produced. No he may not be as dynamic as he once was but I'm pretty confident the guy can still play fairly decent. We will see.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How tall is this 4.3 receiver?

6'4 or 6'5 I think. As far as running a go route, his height is more advantageous. Think Martavis Bryant.

His problem is that he can't run any other routes, and doesn't have much for agility...but straight line speed and getting deep? He's got that!

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious...if speed is what you want, what difference does it make whether he is 5'6' or 6'5'?

Oh to answer your question, listed at 6-4

The question of this thread is what is your ideal receiver to get.

This means people are going to give their opinion of what they think. If you read my original post. I said I want GB to stop bringing in 6'2"-6'5" tall WRs. I want GB to get a smaller receiver who is fast. That is my opinion. I happened to mention John Ross, that is my opinion.

What is the problem? One poster in particular just took the portion about me wanting a 4.3 receiver and ran with it.

I want GB to bring in a receiver 6 feet or under , ideally who can run a 4.3, what the heck is wrong with that?

If GB drafts a 6'6" WR runs a 4.9, and he gains 1500yds, I'll be happy. I'm just giving my opinion of what i want to see.

To answer your question, none of our tall WRs are working out. Outside of Adam, maybe Lazard, everyone else can easily be replaced, can't get any worst.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Height is overrated for WR. Greg, Jennings, Randall Cobb, Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Edelman, Desean Jackson, TY Hilton....all just under 6ft. Davante is just over at 6'1.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question of this thread is what is your ideal receiver to get.

This means people are going to give their opinion of what they think. If you read my original post. I said I want GB to stop bringing in 6'2"-6'5" tall WRs. I want GB to get a smaller receiver who is fast. That is my opinion. I happened to mention John Ross, that is my opinion.

What is the problem? One poster in particular just took the portion about me wanting a 4.3 receiver and ran with it.

I want GB to bring in a receiver 6 feet or under , ideally who can run a 4.3, what the heck is wrong with that?

If GB drafts a 6'6" WR runs a 4.9, and he gains 1500yds, I'll be happy. I'm just giving my opinion of what i want to see.

To answer your question, none of our tall WRs are working out. Outside of Adam, maybe Lazard, everyone else can easily be replaced, can't get any worst.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, merely trying to understand it. Why the desire for a short reciever?

Reaction score
I’m sorry. I’m not sure why that struck me as funny! :laugh:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't pay attention to college football much so i'll say best available with our first pick in the 2nd round...unless they get one in FA. at this early date it seems cooper is the best of the lot. if they address the DT/ILB issues in FA then go for a WR in the first round.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the tall WR experiment is not working in GB.

I guess for me, I don't care about the height of a WR.

Don't care if they're 5'10. Don't care if they're 6'5. I'm not going to put limits or ceilings on height (for the most part). So to me, you saying that you want them to be sub 6'0 is kind of silly.

I just want them to have good speed, run good routes, have good hands. For the most part, size is secondary after that.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the tall WR experiment is not working in GB.

Just to add, just because the current ones haven't worked, doesn't mean tall WR's are bad. Just like if they had worked, it doesn't mean they're all good.

I also think you have to keep expectations in kilter. Lazard is an UDFA. MVS was a 5th round pick. EQSB was a 6th round pick. The majority of players picked there don't pan out. The reason they're not working out isn't because of their size, it's because of limitations in their game. Now sometimes size correlates to that, but sometimes it doesn't.

Also, fwiw, John Ross has never had a complete season as good as what MVS has done. And that includes Rodgers missing him on quite a few deep shots.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Green would be a good option, provided he was healthy. I think a 3-year contract similar to Jimmy's would be my preference if we lure him here (and I do think Gute should test the water) though there should be outs should the team wish to move on after a year. For this reason, I bet he stays with Cinci... why uproot his family if he is only effectively signing a one year deal elsewhere?

Cooper I think would be my preference. Good burst scores, a top 5 talent in his draft year with good durability. Signing him would take a weapon away from McCarthy and co. and I think he would work well as a #2 beside Adams. A draft pick, Adams, Cooper, could be the very best in the NFL. Gute should definitely have a look-see at signing him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
AJ Green would be a good option, provided he was healthy. I think a 3-year contract similar to Jimmy's would be my preference if we lure him here (and I do think Gute should test the water) though there should be outs should the team wish to move on after a year. For this reason, I bet he stays with Cinci... why uproot his family if he is only effectively signing a one year deal elsewhere?

Cooper I think would be my preference. Good burst scores, a top 5 talent in his draft year with good durability. Signing him would take a weapon away from McCarthy and co. and I think he would work well as a #2 beside Adams. A draft pick, Adams, Cooper, could be the very best in the NFL. Gute should definitely have a look-see at signing him.

Amari Cooper would be a good addition to any passing game, but if he gets to free agency then you're talking about something in the neighborhood of 20M/season. That's wayyyy too much money to tie up into the WR position between him and Adams.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So to me, you saying that you want them to be sub 6'0 is kind of silly.

I just want them to have good speed, run good routes, have good hands. For the most part, size is secondary after that.

Again, you moving the goal post. I said I want them to bring in a smaller guy with speed that can make an impact. Don't make it seem like I'm saying cut everyone and bring in 5'8'' WRs to fill up the depth chart. I hope GB can get "1" impact receiver who can play the slot and hit home runs a John Ross speed type or Jennings, Driver, Cobb type.

From my understanding, GB was purposely bringing in tall receivers in prior seasons. I'm just saying it didn't work out.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari Cooper would be a good addition to any passing game, but if he gets to free agency then you're talking about something in the neighborhood of 20M/season. That's wayyyy too much money to tie up into the WR position between him and Adams.

KC has Hill and Watkins who each make a ton of money. It's not impossible. This is a win now team and that would be a win now move.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, you moving the goal post. I said I want them to bring in a smaller guy with speed that can make an impact. Don't make it seem like I'm saying cut everyone and bring in 5'8'' WRs to fill up the depth chart. I hope GB can get "1" impact receiver who can play the slot and hit home runs a John Ross speed type or Jennings, Driver, Cobb type.

From my understanding, GB was purposely bringing in tall receivers in prior seasons. I'm just saying it didn't work out.

How long have you been a GB fan, just curious?

Also no offense but Driver was not a "home run hitter". Easily my favorite Green Bay receiver ever....and would be in discussion for overall too. He was no speed demon or home run hitter.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
KC has Hill and Watkins who each make a ton of money. It's not impossible. This is a win now team and that would be a win now move.

Signing Sammy Watkins is an interesting comp, given that the move has been an epic bust for the Chiefs.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Sammy Watkins is an interesting comp, given that the move has been an epic bust for the Chiefs.

It was a win now move to get him, Kansas City is in the Superbowl. They fit him under the cap and he's had some game saving performances for them this year.

His performance is beside the point though. They were able to fit them both on their team in the salary cap era. They were successful with their strategy in that they're in the Superbowl. That's that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It was a win now move to get him, Kansas City is in the Superbowl. They fit him under the cap and he's had some game saving performances for them this year.

His performance is beside the point though. They were able to fit them both on their team in the salary cap era. They were successful with their strategy in that they're in the Superbowl. That's that.

Simply because a team does something and then makes it to the Super Bowl does not make it a "winning move." There are bad decisions on every roster that aren't necessarily debilitating. Watkins is one such bad decision. It turns out you can swallow a bad cap move or two when you have the best QB in the league playing for a 5M hit.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simply because a team does something and then makes it to the Super Bowl does not make it a "winning move." There are bad decisions on every roster that aren't necessarily debilitating. Watkins is one such bad decision. It turns out you can swallow a bad cap move or two when you have the best QB in the league playing for a 5M hit.

They bargained that Sammy would help them win games. He had a heavy hand in winning them two games this year, one just so happened to be in the AFC championship. The other after Hill broke his collarbone week one which helped them solidify the second seed. They lose that game and they're the 3rd seed with the Pats getting a bye - big shift in the whole scheme of things. Yes, he's had limited production for a large part of this season, but AGAIN it's besides the point. He was a top FA addition at the time for a team that wanted to load up talent around their talented young QB. Nobody is going to talk trash about his contract if he blows up the stat sheet in the superbowl which is not outside the realm of possibility considering the momentum he caries going into the game. Cooper is a different player with an injury history that is favorable in comparison. Kansas City has fit a top 5 WR, top TE, and Watkins and still be 20 million under the cap. It's possible with the right maneuvering and again would take a weapon away from Dallas - who have a talented roster capable of putting it together during the remainder of the Rodgers era. How else do you suppose we will compete with the Chiefs, Saints, Ravens, and 49ers?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They bargained that Sammy would help them win games. He had a heavy hand in winning them two games this year, one just so happened to be in the AFC championship. The other after Hill broke his collarbone week one which helped them solidify the second seed. They lose that game and they're the 3rd seed with the Pats getting a bye - big shift in the whole scheme of things. Yes, he's had limited production for a large part of this season, but AGAIN it's besides the point. He was a top FA addition at the time for a team that wanted to load up talent around their talented young QB. Nobody is going to talk trash about his contract if he blows up the stat sheet in the superbowl which is not outside the realm of possibility considering the momentum he caries going into the game. Cooper is a different player with an injury history that is favorable in comparison. Kansas City has fit a top 5 WR, top TE, and Watkins and still be 20 million under the cap. It's possible with the right maneuvering and again would take a weapon away from Dallas - who have a talented roster capable of putting it together during the remainder of the Rodgers era. How else do you suppose we will compete with the Chiefs, Saints, Ravens, and 49ers?

They made the guy the 5th highest receiver in the league and he's averaged 600 yards and 3 TD per season while playing in one of the league's best passing offenses with the league's best quarterbacks. From weeks 2 to 16, the man came up with 361 yards and zero touchdowns. It blows me away that people defend that move.

And again, the Chiefs could afford is pay two receivers that much money because their QB has been on a rookie contract. Mahomes will be making ~35M/season starting in 2021 and Watkins will be long gone.

In any case, I think we will compete with the Chiefs, Saints, Ravens, and 49ers by spending our resources wisely to improve the roster. That means making sure they maintain the offensive line and address the linebacker position in addition to finding more pass catching talent.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They made the guy the 5th highest receiver in the league and he's averaged 600 yards and 3 TD per season while playing in one of the league's best passing offenses with the league's best quarterbacks. From weeks 2 to 16, the man came up with 361 yards and zero touchdowns. It blows me away that people defend that move.

And again, the Chiefs could afford is pay two receivers that much money because their QB has been on a rookie contract. Mahomes will be making ~35M/season starting in 2021 and Watkins will be long gone.

In any case, I think we will compete with the Chiefs, Saints, Ravens, and 49ers by spending our resources wisely to improve the roster. That means making sure they maintain the offensive line and address the linebacker position in addition to finding more pass catching talent.

That seems all well and good and is what Ted Thompson would probably do - meanwhile if Amari goes to Baltimore, San Francisco, New Orleans or other team that's trying to contend, we're that much behind our attempts to close the gap with the elite. My opinion is that the team is going to need to take some risks with the cap and make a truly bold move to improve this offense. Signing Amari would do that.

Members online

Latest posts