Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn: B+
Vince Biegel, LB, Wisconsin: A
Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU: A-
DeAngelo Yancey, WR, Purdue: D+
Aaron Jones, RB, UTEP: A-
Kofi Amichia, T, USF: C+
Devante Mays, RB, Utah State: B-
Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU: A+

Would have rather taken a CB or DE instead of Yancey, and think there were better options at OL than Amichia (even picking up multiple UDFAs and drafting defense at this spot would have been better). I am fine with drafting 3 RBs because we essentially had 3 free picks (most teams average 7) and we currently do not have a clear #1 back on our roster. Dupre may very well go down as the steal of the entire draft.

This was the best draft in my memory since Thompson took over.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin King, CB, Washington: A
Josh Jones, S, N.C. State: A-/B+

The second round TT hit a home run. Overall: A

Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn: B

Adams reminds me too much of Jerel Worthy to be that positive about.

Vince Biegel, LB, Wisconsin: B

For me, the hardest pick to evaluate. An improvement over Fackrell and possibly Martinez. A good pick but at the top of the 4th? Will he play ILB or OLB?

Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU: B

Would rather have had Perine.

DeAngelo Yancey, WR, Purdue:
Aaron Jones, RB, UTEP:
Kofi Amichia, T, USF:
Devante Mays, RB, Utah State:

Not real high on any of these guys. No Guard?

Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU: A

Great Pick!

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Kofi Amichia, T, USF:
Devante Mays, RB, Utah State:

Not real high on any of these guys. No Guard?
As for not drafting a Guard, TT likes to draft T's and convert them to G's in the NFL. Amichia was a LT in college, earning all conference honors. He is better suited to play G in the NFL, and I have read he can play all 3 positions. I give him a C+ grade at the moment, and if he takes Barclay's spot on the roster, the guy gets an A+

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna judge the 3 guys I've seen and only those guys.

Adams: A-. There is a knock that he takes plays off but put him with Daniels and that'll stop happening. Definitely in the rotation. Almost wish we ran a 4-3 to have him and Daniels inside together. Like to see him gain about 15 pounds too.

Biegel: B+. Third best Linebacker on his college team, I agree with Mayock and co. that he can play inside, but I think the only way you do that is if there is injury or if he just out plays people. I'd rather try him inside than Clay. I think he ends up starting for us this year at one of the 4 spots and upgrades whatever spot he takes.

Dupre: B This kid was the best WR I saw in the SEC last year, and LSU never has a qb. Give him Josh Dobbs and he's a #1. With Aaron sky is the limit. Why not an A? Because we have alot of guys at WR and we could've done other things, he seems a little small too.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for not drafting a Guard, TT likes to draft T's and convert them to G's in the NFL. Amichia was a LT in college, earning all conference honors. He is better suited to play G in the NFL, and I have read he can play all 3 positions. I give him a C+ grade at the moment, and if he takes Barclay's spot on the roster, the guy gets an A+

I looked up Amichia (cbssports admitted they didn't evaluate him!) and you're right, he projects as a G in the NFL. Looks like the Packers were interested in him for a while.

I also am reconsidering my grade on Jamal Williams, raising to a B+, maybe higher. He's more physical than Montgomery, they say he runs between the tackles very well and is more of a bruiser than I thought. With a 4.53 (4.59 at combine) 40 he's not slow either. Not fast, but not slow. Williams is also said to be a good blocker, particularly when it comes to picking up blitzes. I think he'll be good for GB.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna judge the 3 guys I've seen and only those guys.

Adams: A-. There is a knock that he takes plays off but put him with Daniels and that'll stop happening. Definitely in the rotation. Almost wish we ran a 4-3 to have him and Daniels inside together. Like to see him gain about 15 pounds too.

Biegel: B+. Third best Linebacker on his college team, I agree with Mayock and co. that he can play inside, but I think the only way you do that is if there is injury or if he just out plays people. I'd rather try him inside than Clay. I think he ends up starting for us this year at one of the 4 spots and upgrades whatever spot he takes.

Dupre: B This kid was the best WR I saw in the SEC last year, and LSU never has a qb. Give him Josh Dobbs and he's a #1. With Aaron sky is the limit. Why not an A? Because we have alot of guys at WR and we could've done other things, he seems a little small too.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons why Adams seemed to take plays off is that Auburn had him playing 74 snaps a game. In 2016 they lowered that number and his performance improved dramatically.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Auburn's offense couldn't stay on the field the last 2 years so yes that is a legit issue. I'm an Auburn fan, so I can attest to that this reasoning is legit.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
2a. K. King, CB, UW: INC

2b. J. Jones, S, NCSU: INC

3. M. Adams, DL, AUB: INC

4a. V. Biegel, ED, WISC: INC

4b. J. Williams, RB, BYU: INC

5a. D. Yancey, WR, PUR: INC

5b. A. Jones, RB, UTEP: INC

6. K. Amichia, OL, USF: A+++

7a. D. Mays, RB, USU: INC

7b. M. Dupre, WR, LSU: INC

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give this draft a solid B+ and I'm very excited to see how it plays out. King and Jones look like immediate contributors. They are tall, fast, athletic, and unlike Rollins and Goodsen, these guys actually played defensive back in college instead of being converted/failed basketball players who might be athletic enough to play in the NFL. From everything I'm reading, Adams has the potential to be a force on the defensive line if he's motivated and works hard. I'm also reading that many scouts believe that Biegel is as good as/or better than TJ Watt. The Packers could have up to four new contributors on the defensive side of the ball this year.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My two cents:

Kevin King: (A) I really like this pick. It gives us length we've never really had at corner and he's not just height, he has speed. Also didn't allow a single TD in 2016.

Josh Jones: (B+) Honestly, I was hoping we'd take a pass rusher here. I really liked Rivers, Willis, Hall, Williams, or Basham. However, I can understand if some think those would be reaches at this pick. Back to Jones, the kid is a freak. I was blown away by his combine and the size and speed he brings along with versatility.

Montravius Adams: (A) Really like this pick! I was a huge fan of Adams and thought he would go in the second. I think we got real value with this pick. I don't think he's going to be a DE like people think, I think he ends up more of a NT with Clark and Daniels being the pass rushers. He is a beast of a man though and should generate interior push. If I'm being honest, I was hoping we traded up for Rivers here.

Vince Biegel: (C+) I understand there were concerns about Lawson and his injury history, but how did we pass on that value here? I view this pick as a Fackrell pick... nothing too flashy and hopefully he produces at the next level. Definitely not wowed by this pick.

Jamaal Williams: (B) I think he'll be a decent back, but nothing really THAT special. I also believe this is why TT decided to draft so many running backs. I don't believe he was completely sold on the pick. I do like that he's a plus blocker and should compliment Ty pretty well. Note: I don't think we would have actually picked him, but we just missed out on Deatrich Wise Jr. here.

DeAngelo Yancy: (D) I don't understand this pick at all. We're not really hurting at wide receiver and this guy really isn't anything special. I was hoping for a guard here, mostly Danny Isidora. Again, I know a lot of people wouldn't take the chance, but I also would have loved to see us take a chance on Brantley here. Just feel like we left a lot on the table with this pick, especially since we picked a better prospect in the 7th round.

Aaron Jones: (C+) I knew we were going to pick multiple running backs this draft because it came right from TT's mouth. I was hoping Mack would slip to us though and that didn't happen. I honestly didn't watch this guy's tape, but he has pretty awesome measurables and was a sleeper in the draft community.

Kofi Amichia: (B) I'll admit I know nothing about Kofi. In his own words "It was crazy. I expected them to call me but I didn't expect it to be that soon." I think we could have got him later or even as a UDFA. That being said he was a first-team all-AAC, he's strong(32 reps), athletic(4.99 40yd), and he ranked 5th overall for PFF's pass protecting tackles in this draft. Overall, I really wanted Danny Isidora in place of Yancy and could have took a shot at Jalen Myrick or Ifeadi Odenigbo here, but I think it's a really good pick.

Devante Mays: (C+) Wow, I was really hoping Ejuan Price would fall to us here, but the football gods weren't that nice to us. Watching this guys tape is pretty exciting. He literally looks for contact. He's not the shiftiest guy I've seen, but he's a little bowling ball. Can't wait to watch him play.

Malachi Dupre: (A) I don't think I've been as excited for a late 7th round pick in quite some time. This guys has a super high ceiling and struggled from crappy quarter back play. I'm really excited to see what he can do with Aaron. I was excited about Geronimo last year and knew he'd make the team. I'm twice as excited for Dupre.

Overall, there were some head scratchers and reaches, but I think it was a very good draft. Slightly concerned about our effectiveness and depth for pass rushers, but we'll see.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall: B+

• Kevin King, CB, Washington: A- Bit of a question for me. Has extraordinary tools and can be something special. Tested better than he played, always causes me some concern. What he can be - though - outweighs the risk. He will be a decent CB with the opportunity/ceiling to be one of the best in the NFL.
  • Josh Jones, S, N.C. State: A Best pick of our draft. I didn't look at any safeties, but figured they would be taking one just because this was a very deep draft for safety. Reading about him after the fact - he looks impressive. Like the fact that he is fast and hits hard. We need speed and aggressiveness in our defense.
  • Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn: B Another player on the upswing. I hope his becoming a father will have an affect on him. Can be very good. Really thought we should be looking OLB, RB, or OL with this pick.
  • Vince Biegel, LB, Wisconsin: D I want to like this pick. But I just don't think he has a very high ceiling. I think his best scenario is that he is a decent player, never will make impact plays. But he is smart player and a safe pick. Would have gone RB with this pick.
  • Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU: B- Got my RBs mixed up and thought this was a guy I despised. Was upset at first, but I think he is okay. Wish we went RB sooner but pundits seem to like him.
  • DeAngelo Yancey, WR, Purdue: C Thought there were better options out there at WR, but this is a long shot IMHO.
  • Aaron Jones, RB, UTEP: B I like this kid. Good pick for the 5th round.
  • Kofi Amichia, T, USF: C I thought they should try OL earlier, there were some players in rounds 4 and 5 that I though made sense,
  • Devante Mays, RB, Utah State: B Really like this pick. Perfect round 7. You are never getting a sure thing, but you are rolling the dice on greatness. TT's 3rd dart at the RB dart board. We will see in 3 months were they hit.
  • Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU: A Same as Mays. Taking a stab at something potentially great. A safe pick here doesn't have a chance to improve the roster.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like the first 2 picks. Love getting more athletic and getting more size. Adams really intrigues me and I honestly said I wanted Biegel over watt because I didn't see watt as a first round guy and thought Biegel was a late 2nd kind of guy who would slip. After that I just don't know enough about the guys. Over all it is a B+ to A- draft for me

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
too much emphasis on the offense when the defense needed more help. Why all the rb's? at least 2 will be cut or sent to the practice squad. and picking Yancey? head scratcher....... who is in the room when TT makes the picks?

Overall, I'm giving this draft a C............but an A on trying to beef up the practice squad...time will tell............

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
too much emphasis on the offense when the defense needed more help. Why all the rb's? at least 2 will be cut or sent to the practice squad. and picking Yancey? head scratcher....... who is in the room when TT makes the picks?

Overall, I'm giving this draft a C............but an A on trying to beef up the practice squad...time will tell............

The first 4 picks were defense. What more could you ask? The team goes db, db, dl, Olb and that isn't enough focus on defense?

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best thing about this draft is the Bears might have wasted it! We'll see how our guys play out, at least on paper we look better. Hoping the kid from Auburn turns into a stud, gotta be tough in the middle, DL, MLB, Safety all look to be what we needed to get better in the middle. Maybe the kid from Wisconsin becomes our MLB, Singeltary was too small too right? It's the off season, we're still full of hope!

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will have to give this draft an A.

What more do we want?

Got the D positions filled. Maybe not the guys we really wanted but made some nice picks with what were available. Trading down gave us more to add depth in our RB lineup and addressed a few concerns. Got a nice pick with Williams. Really excited that he will provide some strength to the backfield, along with Jones/Mays adding quickness and speed. Excited about King, Jones, Adams, and Biegel along with Francois that will help our pass rush and secondary. Peanut Butter Jelly!

And Will Dupre be another Driver under Rod? Kid is good! Something about LSU and Louisiana where many talents come from. Could it be the spicy Cajun food they eat? Last time I was in New Orleans I nearly burned my mouth on those boiled Crayfish they eat. I grew up catching those things to play with. Never thought people eat them. Anyway......As Perfectbeard stated the LSU QB problem might have contributed to a lack luster performance of Dupre putting him under the radar. Now with Bennet in the lineup we have a stellar receiving core: Nelson, Cobb, Adams, G-mo, Dupre(will definitely take davis' spot), Bennet/Rogers. And can't forget our sixth star receiver Janis. he will go into the hall of fame for his hail mary catch. count on it!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since everyone pretty much highlighted and rated guys, I will leave that alone as well as sit back and see how each of the 10 draft picks does in the future. However, a few general observations that I took from this draft:

1. TT knew that the poor play of our secondary last year, wasn't just due to the young guys being injured.
  2. Not sure how it reflects on Monty, but taking 3 RB's tells me that TT was very unsure about the position and maybe is taking a page out of Bill Belichick's playbook, having a variety of running backs to choose from isn't a bad thing. I think those 3 selected also shows TT learned a valuable lesson from last year. You don't start the season with 2 RB's with experience and expect to find one of your PS UDFA's ready to step in if needed. At least 1 if not 2 of those RB's drafted may end up on the PS and the other (Williams) sees some playing time behind Monty. We are now deep at RB, as long as the rookies are decent. Personally, I would have prefered taking Perine or a better running back earlier and saved at least one of those picks for another position. But I like that TT is finally seeing that there is a need to have some quality depth at RB as well as a variety of styles. All 3 RB's chosen have different attributes and that will give the Packers a lot more options in determining which back will see action. Preseason competition between them is going to be fun to watch!
  3. Last observation. TT and Capers should be on a short leash to fix this defense. The draft resources pumped into it the last 6 years is over the top. My fear is yes, we have Aaron Rodgers, but really the offense has been pretty much ignored for 6 years with early round picks and that just may start showing in the next couple of years. I'm not *****ing about the picks on defense, it was obvious to most of us they were needed, but some of us wondered if TT saw it that way due to what he did and didn't do in Free Agency. The draft proved to me that TT knows that the defense still needs fixing, something he could have maybe attempted to accomplish through free agency, had he, the Packers would have had the ability to use a top pick more aimed at the offensive side of the ball.
Overall I like the picks. Love some of the UDFA's, especially Justin Vogel, a top collegiate punter!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It can't be his best draft ever, because he didn't draft Rodgers.

I do believe he did great. The first 4 picks were exactly what we needed on defense. The two big fast dbacks are what I always want, and never get!!! So now I got it. How can I be unhappy?,lol
The offensive players were an interesting mix of talent. I'm optimistic. Especially the 5th rd rb and the lsu wr.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly had not heard any of these names prior to the draft so I can not address my grades to any players specifically so I will limit my opinions simply to the positions drafted with regards to needs and the roster as it stood before the draft and as it stands now.

Overall I'm happy with the picks. I'm perfectly fine with the first three picks.

1st pick CB. We needed a CB to lessen the dependency on R&R so good pick here. Who says Ted doesn't draft for need? Randall and/or Rollins may still pan out and if King does as well we are set at the position for a while and if one of the Rs doesn't having King makes it less of a need that both of them do.

2nd pick S. Not a real perceived position of need but with all the talk of Burnett maybe playing more at ILB and the fact that he is a FA next year means that to me this is a good pick as well.

3rd pick DL. You can never have enough big bodies up front and if this guy can help generate some push up front and help keep the starters fresh then again, good pick.

4th pick OLB. Ted now has McCaffrey and the OLB from Wisconsin. And people say he is a bad GM. Seriously though our LBs were nothing to write home about so the pick makes sense.

5th Pick RB. Personally I would have liked to have gotten a RB a bit earlier but he addressed what I think was a need. More on the RB situation later.

I'm going to lump the other RBs and WRs together since it seems Teds approach was more is better with regards to the positions. I figured he would take another WR so neither pick surprises or bothers me and the fact that he took 2 doesn't really surprise me either. I am a bit surprised by 2 more RBs taken and I guess a little disappointed. While I am not confident in Michael or Jackson and it wouldn't surprise me to see both of them cut for two of these three rookies I think taking 2 more after Williams might have left better options on the board.

OL. With the signing of Evans I didn't see G as the pressing need some did. I expected a OL and was hoping for maybe 2 to develop and I got my 1. I would have liked to see 1 more in place of 1 of the RBs or WRs so in a way that's a bit of a disappointment but he did get one and it does seem that he likes to take tackles and move them to guard so he stayed true to form. Does that give us even a smidgin more breathing room depth wise at tackle since our guards have at least played the position in the past?

The biggest surprise is the 3 RBs. Its interesting that Ted thought our RB position was in such shape that it needed 3 picks to address but not in such shape to take one higher than the late 4th round. We have a very crowded roster now and some might wonder if that means Monty will move back to WR but the thing is I'm not sure if any of the guys we took would be an adequate replacement for him. I'm assuming Monty and Williams splitting the majority of the carries, Michael is gone and one of the two rookies or Jackson taking the third spot and the other two on the PS (is Jackson PS eligible?) Not exactly the way I wanted to go into the season at RB but Blount is still available right?

Overall I'll give it a B+. He went a little heavy on WR/RB and IMO a little weak on the big guys and pass rush Exchange 1 of the WRs or RBs with another Oline or pass rusher and its a A- at least. Like I said, I don't know about the individual players and as we have already see opinions are all over the map on those guys anyway so one more wouldn't make a difference. If they pan out the worst ones will be good picks and if they don't the best ones will be busts, all we can do now is wait.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll keep it short and simple..B minus. Loved the King , Jones, and Dupre picks. However they went overboard with all the RB picks. Two of the three won't even be on the active roster. Should've added more olb and DL help.

Behind King my favorite pick is Dupre. Dupre is going to end up the #1 wr in Green Bay one day. Catches the ball, has great quickness and burst, runs nice routes, and competes for the football. We probably won't see it next season, but I'm going to say he's build in the mold of former LSU tiger wr Jarvis Landry. Even tho Landry went way higher the similarities in their game are eerie similar..and last time I checked Jarvis Landry is a pretty good football player down there in Miami..and Tanehill isn't even that good to me.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Happy with rounds 1, 2, and 3 results. Agreed that Dupre in the 7th was a great pickup. Not that impressed with day 3 otherwise though. Though we did some to address edge rush and rb, I am not very excited by our approach there.

Oh right, a grade... my fan grade is a B. If your team can hit with their first 3 picks, that's a good draft, even if the rest is underwhelming to you.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I noticed Dupre on one of the "best available lists" at around round 5. So I started researching him and was wondering when the hell he was going to be picked. Could end up being a great pick, I think he already passed Janis and maybe Davis on the depth chart when he woke up this morning and put matching socks on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts