Your Defensive Strategy??

OP
OP
PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Burnett to cover Witten for most of the game as well but believe the Packers will mostly use Ryan and Martinez at inside linebacker to stop the run.
Man I remember me and you had went back and forth about burnett, I must admit you were right. The dude has grown a lot I put my foot in my mouth when I said get rid of him. He's a good person all the way around, a guy I would go to war with any day. I just had to let you know you were right about him, he's the truth and playing lights out.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd force Dallas to run outside. I wouldn't even let them run inside at all. Use that sideline as an extra defender and make Zeke run lateral. The less space he has to operate the better.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd force Dallas to run outside. I wouldn't even let them run inside at all. Use that sideline as an extra defender and make Zeke run lateral. The less space he has to operate the better.

First of all not allowing the Cowboys to run inside is easier said that done and in addition Dallas excels rushing outside the tackles as well.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all not allowing the Cowboys to run inside is easier said that done and in addition Dallas excels rushing outside the tackles as well.

Yeah people keep forgetting that while Zeke is a great young back, that that Dallas Oline is full of studs. Tyrion Smith, Travis Frederick, Zach Martin. Our guys will have a hard time just maintaining their spots.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Elliot has more yards before contact than most RB's have total this year. Dallas' oline are great at opening lanes and getting blocks on the linebackers too. Toss a pretty capable back in there and it's tough to stop. I think we can do enough to give our offense a chance to do their part. Turnovers and 40 second possessions on offense will take their toll if that's what we do on offense

Sky King

Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that the Cowboys will come out running the ball and the Packer D will lean towards stopping the run with their personnel assignments. Why not? Behind that O line who wouldn't think that's the obvious strategy and counter-strategy of both teams?

So, here's an out-of-the-box strategy: The Cowboys initially come out pass-first. This would probably take everyone by surprise. An already suspect Packer pass defense may be further compromised if it is caught favoring the run. Advantage: Cowboys. And as we all painfully witnessed against Colin Al Frisco a few years back, when a Capers D gets caught less-than fully prepared for something it may be unable to adjust in time, if at all. Perish the thought that the Cowboys would also run the option. This is not a prediction, just a "What if?"

However, I'm far more inclined to believe that the Cowboys will play to their strength. I would guess they want to continue to impose their will just as they had in the earlier meeting this season. They totally demolished the (then) #1 rushing defense. Like a Lombardi team of old, they don't care if the opposition knows what they're going to do because they are confident that their opponent will not be able to stop it, anyway. It's a football macho thing.

Still, if they get the ball first it would be an opportunity to once again demoralize an opponent at the onset but in yet another creative way. It may say "We've already proven we're stronger than you, but this proves that we're also smarter and you have no chance."

And if pass-first didn't work on that first series they could always go back to favoring the run on the next series with little being lost. But if it did work out well it could quickly put to rest any doubts that a playoff game will rattle the rookie Prescott's confidence.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So, here's an out-of-the-box strategy: The Cowboys initially come out pass-first. This would probably take everyone by surprise. An already suspect Packer pass defense may be further compromised if it is caught favoring the run.

While I could see Linehan employing this strategy if he had a veteran QB and was playing against a team with a subpar offense. I think it could be a recipe for disaster for him and the Cowboys if it failed right out of the chute. The last thing you want to do is rattle a rookie QB and hand the ball over to Rodgers too quickly. While you could be correct, my money is on the Cowboys wanting to do exactly what they did to the Packers in October, run right down our throats, keep Dak's confidence up and win the game doing what got them there, run first, pass second.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I could see Linehan employing this strategy if he had a veteran QB and was playing against a team with a subpar offense. I think it could be a recipe for disaster for him and the Cowboys if it failed right out of the chute. The last thing you want to do is rattle a rookie QB and hand the ball over to Rodgers too quickly. While you could be correct, my money is on the Cowboys wanting to do exactly what they did to the Packers in October, run right down our throats, keep Dak's confidence up and win the game doing what got them there, run first, pass second.

Yeah, they ran all over us the last time. They'll try to come out and run all over us again.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensive strategy is unleash the beasts. Guion , Daniels, Peppers, Perry, Mathews moving around with Martinez and Ryan inside. Haha staying deep to punish WRs and pick off balls. Randall and Gunter outside, with Hyde and Burnett moving around.
All these guys are playing great right now. When we put them all on the field at once, we will win more than we lose.

That said, if our offense can get a lead on the rookie QB, and force him to try to play catch up. If we in any way can make them more one dimentional, the second half could get ugly for them...
As long as capers continues to play aggressive.

Reaction score
Matthews was a below average inside linebacker for the 1 1/2 years he played there and in my opinion there´s no reason to move him back as long as Ryan, Thomas and Martinez are healthy
First of all I'm not so sure that Martinez is 100% I hope he is because he is one of our top run stoppers. Secondly, The Packers D was ranked 20 Something before CM3 was moved inside second half 2014 and because of that move they became one of the top run stopping Defenses in the second half of the season after that..moving up 10 spots overall to rank in the top 1/3 (which means they played at a top 5 or so level to move that needle after so many games)
The important part to recognize is that it wasn't just solely CM3's talent that drastically improved our run D, it was a combination of getting the best talent on the field at the same time coupled with Clay being able to move effectively to both sides of the field with his speed. In any event, we need to mix things up because giving up 200 yards again isn't going to work in Arlington

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all I'm not so sure that Martinez is 100% I hope he is because he is one of our top run stoppers. Secondly, The Packers D was ranked 20 Something before CM3 was moved inside second half 2014 and because of that move they became one of the top run stopping Defenses in the second half of the season after that..moving up 10 spots overall to rank in the top 1/3 (which means they played at a top 5 or so level to move that needle after so many games)
The important part to recognize is that it wasn't just solely CM3's talent that drastically improved our run D, it was a combination of getting the best talent on the field at the same time coupled with Clay being able to move effectively to both sides of the field with his speed. In any event, we need to mix things up because giving up 200 yards again isn't going to work in Arlington

There's no doubt Matthews significantly improved the inside linebacker position in 2014 but that was because of a complete lack of talent. Don't fool yourself though Ryan, Martinez and Thomas are better suited to play the position and give the Packers a better chance of slowing down the Cowboys offense.

I'm fine with lining up Clay there occasionalky but not for the majority of the defensive snaps.

Reaction score
You also get flagged for 12 men on the field.:p
Must be the Polish in me.. but if we're gonna take the 12 men penalty might as well put the entire bench out there also and make it worth our while by giving our depth some extra snaps :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just seen Demarius Randall was added to injury report with a foot injury now.... Add that to the knee and shoulder and groin surgery recovery.geez. Bad year for him

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My focus wouldn't be to take one thing away and give up the other. It would be to limit them to field goals. If they go with this load up the box and stop Eazy strategy then they will just throw the ball on the depleted secondary and score td's. Play Eazy like any other rb and hold them to field goals.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just seen Demarius Randall was added to injury report with a foot injury now.... Add that to the knee and shoulder and groin surgery recovery.geez. Bad year for him
I'm hoping his constant injuries are a result of trying to compensate for the previous injury etc.... otherwise I think his career will be very short.

D

Deleted member 6794

My focus wouldn't be to take one thing away and give up the other. It would be to limit them to field goals. If they go with this load up the box and stop Eazy strategy then they will just throw the ball on the depleted secondary and score td's. Play Eazy like any other rb and hold them to field goals.

I don't believe Prescott is able to carry the offense on his own if the Packers are able to take away the Cowboys running game.

Most injury riddled team in all of sports.

According to a website tracking NFL injuries the Packers have suffered the 10th most injuries this season as well as only the 21st injury impact to team weighted approximate value.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Prescott is able to carry the offense on his own if the Packers are able to take away the Cowboys running game.

According to a website tracking NFL injuries the Packers have suffered the 10th most injuries this season as well as only the 21st injury impact to team weighted approximate value.

Ok fine. Most injury riddled team as far as leg injuries I've ever seen.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the talk about must stop Dallas' running game is missing the point. This game is about defense for both sides. So what if Elliot has 200 yards and 2 TDs? It just means it will be a lower scoring game for both sides. The question is which team will score on a higher percentage of their possessions? I'm pretty confident in the Packers' ability to win that showdown. Their chances of stopping Rodgers and Co. is pretty damn low with their pass defense. They will be able to take time off the clock, but they won't prevent us from getting ours when we do have the ball. They will likely need to win the turnover battle if they win the game. Packers will win 24-20.

Members online

Latest posts