Your Defensive Strategy??

lil dicky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play base when they dictate us to play base. This is the game you drafted Kenny Clark for. By playing base you force the Cowboys to choose whom to double team up front between Clark, Daniels, and Guion. Behind him you have Ryan, Martinez, and you can set the edges by constantly rotating our deep group of OLBs. Keep HaHa deep and ready to watch the play action. Keep Burnett in the box as an extra defender and have his coverage responsibility on Witten when in man. Press the living hell out of the 5'8, 175 lb Beasley.

Dallas does not do anything special, they just do what they do well. Run, screens and, play action. The last matchup we stacked entirely too much inside and they burned us with outside screens, good reads by Zeke to bounce out, and play actions that led to one on ones in the short passing game outside. We also saw in the first matchup an Ezekiel Elliot who just ran harder than the defense was willing to tackle. Too many arm tackles and weak attempt to force him back. Zeke embarrassed this team and its run defense that at the time was #1 in the league. If we can manage to tackle better on defense and not fumble 4 times, 3 lost, and 1 interception we dominate them and Ill be there in the nosebleeds witnessing an Aaron Rodgers on a mission and a frantic Dak Prescott trying to keep pace. They dont have the experience or the skill or the legend.

D

Deleted member 6794

Im just curious what would be the defensive game plan you come into Dallas with?

The Packers will have to load the box to hopefully contain the Cowboys running game putting their offense in unfavorable down and distance situations. The cornerbacks will have to win in man-to-man coverage as Capers won´t be able to provide them with as much safety help over the top as against the Giants.

giants game plan.

There´s absolutely no chance the Packers defense will be able to consistently stop the Cowboys rushing attack in subpackages.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was brought up in the Packers.com chat yesterday.

There is no magic or fancy strategy that would work for sure this game.

The guys up front have to beat their blockers and the secondary has to hold up with less help.

If the Packers stack the box and Elliot still runs very well, it means the guys up front are not winning and the defense will have a long day.

Reaction score
This game will come down to many
1 on 1 matchups because Dallas has as many playmakers as GB.
We need to play aggressive which means harassing the Wideouts and Whitten within 5 yards to slow timing while challenging Prescott with us rushing 4 and blitzing a 5th off the edge to use speed to force quick throws that don't let the receivers routes fully develop.
Use Morgan or HaHa as a lateral spy to contain Dak so he doesn't have an open bowling lane to run up or break edge containment for 1st downs.
Cowboys running game will quietly run the clock and limit GB possessions which as we all know means Aaron is sidelined. We need to get them punting or at least kicking FG on some early possessions.
Watch for trick plays, They like to pitch to a WR or double reverse and then let the WR throw a pass in what initially looks like a running play. Don't be fooled stay with your man like a fly on poop. These plays are often dynamic in that they will either result in high yardage yield for them OR a D TAkeaway for us.

Last edited:

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Stop the run and force the QB to throw the ball. If you stop Zeke, the Cowboys will have to give Aaron Rodgers the ball. If Aaron Rodgers can control this game, the Packers win 33-17

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers will have to load the box to hopefully contain the Cowboys running game putting their offense in unfavorable down and distance situations. The cornerbacks will have to win in man-to-man coverage as Capers won´t be able to provide them with as much safety help over the top as against the Giants.
And hope that the pressure gets to Dak even slightly. If he's able to consistently put throws where he needs to put them in (hopefully :roflmao:) tight man coverage, then more power to him.

I just have my doubts that he is going to be able to do that.

It's ultra critical for Rodgers and the offense to throw up 7 on the first drive.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhmmm....hope that Rollins comes back because the packers need more capable corners for coverage because the safeties are going to have to help against the run. Emphasize lane integrity for the pass rushers because Dak will take advantage of openings and run for first downs.

Other than that? Hope the offense can score a lot of points because with the injuries in the secondary, it's gonna be real tough to stop the run if Burnett is being forced to play corner rather than help against the run.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way in heck can the Packers just rely on the corners on the outside to match up consistently 1 on 1. The Dallas WRs are not bad.. and Beasley ate our lunch in the first game. Now if Shields was playing? That's a different story. He could shadow Dez... but we don't have a single guy who can take a wr out of the game at corner. Yet alone line up against Dez Bryant 1 on 1 with no help. IMO Dez Bryant is still an elite wr when he's on.

Not to mention Jason Whitten! The middle of the field is always so wide open in Capers defense! so there's another reason you can't commit everything to stop Zeke. Honestly the best we can hope for is that Daniels, Clark, and Guion to all play out of their minds, and for all the backers especially Clay Matthews to be able to get off the darn blocks! I honestly would would play Hyde on the outside against Dez and slide Randall to the inside against Beasley. Seems like a better matchup. It would also help if Tyron Smith didn't play as well!

D

Deleted member 6794

No way in heck can the Packers just rely on the corners on the outside to match up consistently 1 on 1. The Dallas WRs are not bad.. and Beasley ate our lunch in the first game. Now if Shields was playing? That's a different story. He could shadow Dez... but we don't have a single guy who can take a wr out of the game at corner. Yet alone line up against Dez Bryant 1 on 1 with no help. IMO Dez Bryant is still an elite wr when he's on.

Not to mention Jason Whitten! The middle of the field is always so wide open in Capers defense! so there's another reason you can't commit everything to stop Zeke. Honestly the best we can hope for is that Daniels, Clark, and Guion to all play out of their minds, and for all the backers especially Clay Matthews to be able to get off the darn blocks! I honestly would would play Hyde on the outside against Dez and slide Randall to the inside against Beasley. Seems like a better matchup. It would also help if Tyron Smith didn't play as well!

Unfortunately I don´t expect the Packers to be able to contain the Cowboys rushing attack without loading the box. I would prefer Gunter to cover Bryant for most of the game, he seems to excel covering receivers like him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don´t expect the Packers to be able to contain the Cowboys rushing attack without loading the box. I would prefer Gunter to cover Bryant for most of the game, he seems to excel covering receivers like him.

When you say WRs like him do you mean Julio Jones? Because he got help alll game versus Jones. I don't think Gunter can cover Dez Bryant 1 on 1. May be wise to move him to Williams side and take your chances with Hyde. With Hyde he's hot good ball skills and he's more fluent than Gunter. Should be interesting to see if Capers plays it how he did the first game. Either way Dak threw for over 230 yds and for 3 touchdowns without Dez while Zeke still was able to kill us on the ground.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Either way Dak threw for over 230 yds and for 3 touchdowns without Dez while Zeke still was able to kill us on the ground.
Zeke is the key to this entire puzzle. Stop him, you stop the Cowboys.

Dak will not be near as efficient if Zeke can't be a consistent producer on the ground.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our d line and LBs better have the best of game of their lives because our secondary is going to need all the help they can get.
btw...can janis tackle?

as you are all aware fellow packer zealots, if obj didn't have a bad performance we could have easily seen a close game. i'm sure dallas is well aware of the passing play opportunities the giants had. hopefully dak eats something too spicy and does the pepto bismol dance for 3 hours...but then again he is from louisiana and they do tend to eat spicy foods. nvm...maybe mexican?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeke is the key to this entire puzzle. Stop him, you stop the Cowboys.

Dak will not be near as efficient if Zeke can't be a consistent producer on the ground.

This I know. But we still can't allow him to get comfortable throwing tonwide open WRs in the middle of the field either.

OP
OP
PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my outlook, I would stick with a similar game plan to the first time we played them. Dallas just a team that lines up and just wears you down nothing tricky about them. If you notice the first game the linebacker were getting in the gaps but zeke would bounce outside every time so I would tell the linebacker to do just that but come in controlled. bring burnett down to mid range with haha over the top cause these corner cant cover man to man. Giant game could have got ugly with just a few completions. I think if we play with the lead meaning score early I don't think dallas can keep up with us, there is no one in their secondary that can hold cook inside or out. If I had to chose I would rather get worn down as a defense then to just get blown apart by the pass cause we all know these corner need help.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I read that Zeke was in a minor car accident this morning.....I'm glad that he was ok and will be playing on Sunday, I really wouldn't want us beating the Cowboys with that as the excuse as to how we did it. :D

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This was brought up in the Packers.com chat yesterday.

There is no magic or fancy strategy that would work for sure this game.

The guys up front have to beat their blockers and the secondary has to hold up with less help.

If the Packers stack the box and Elliot still runs very well, it means the guys up front are not winning and the defense will have a long day.
Agree. Our d-lineman must win more of the 1 on 1 battles. I don't think our DB's will consistently be successful unless Prescott gets consistent pressure. Dallas has decent to good skill players at every offensive position. Winning first down will be crucial early in the game.

Latest posts