Your Biggest Question

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heading into the draft, what question are you still wondering about that might heavily impact draft plans?

For me, it's their vision for the offensive line.

We know that David Bakhtiari and Josh Myers are set at left tackle and center. That's where my confidence ends.

Is Elgton Jenkins in their future plans at LG or RT?

If they want him at RT, are they happy with the combo of Runyan and Newman going into the future? Or would they want to replace one or both?

If they want Jenkins at LG, then do they have future plans for Yosh Nijman? Is there any chance than Runyan can play RT?

Depending on how you answer these questions, the Packers might want an immediate upgrade at guard, an immediate starter at tackle, or simple depth at both, and that's going to heavily impact where they decide to draft OL.

So what questions are bugging you? And do you have any thoughts about this one?
It's an interesting topic Dantes and one where you'll get a variety of opinion.

My biggest question is about Bakh. It seems like something went wrong that we probably don't know about. I have doubts that he'll be back, or if he does return, if he'll ever get back to All Pro level. I think we might know more after the draft. If Gluten goes for an OT in round 2, especially a left tackle, that tells me all is probably not well with Bakh. It's just strange that there is no word.

And I don't worry at all about Jenkins, well except for when he returns. He could be a viable replacement for Bakh, but I'd rather see him at RT. Good news is he can play anywhere.

I'm not wild about Myers, and if there's a guy available in rd 2, I'd take him. Especially with Patrick gone. That said, I hope Myers can be the guy. Just not good to change out Centers every year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am mostly wondering if Aaron Rodgers is all in.
Ordinarily I wouldn't question Rodgers' commitment. But after the last two years, it's hard to say that $$$ are not his number one priority. Well, wish granted on $$$ and he can gratify his ego on highest paid player, for what that's worth (ask Adams). I think in a team sport, ego takes a back seat to working with teammates - and to win championships.

Like it or not, that will be put to the test this year. He's gonna have to find patience and new ways to work with inexperienced receivers. He certainly can do that, but will he?

I think the answer is yes. He has all the money needed to start a small country. I would think he'd like to shut up critics and win at least one more SB. Because if he doesn't, that's gonna haunt him once he retires. Ask Dan Marino (even though he won no SBs).

Rodgers has built up a reputation, fairly or not, as a choker in showtime. Hell he hasn't even been back to the SB since 2011. To change that he's gonna have to work harder than ever. We should know soon. It's the one thing he can't buy. I think he has too much pride and we can count on him to step it up.

One positive sign is if he shows up for voluntary OTAs. A lot of people here say he won't show, and I guess I wouldn't be surprised. But every second he gets with the new receivers is priceless. I won't hold it against him if he's a no show. It sure would be a positive sign if he shows.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would one hundred percent target younger guys personally. An older guy would need to be absolutely special in some aspect for me to not go younger route.

This is an older draft class in general so I expect some traditional norms be broke by Gute and Co. Gute did today again confirm the drafts focus in not the now but the future - which I think was his way of reinforcing he won’t be forced into a specific position mindset.
I think Gluten has to say he's focused on the future. That's GM 101. And maybe he is because his job depends on it. We've seen owners become much more ready to pull the trigger on GMs and HCs after even one bad season. I think Gluten is smart enough that he can do both (play for a championship and keep an eye on the future). There are lean cap years ahead, so it would certainly help if he nails this draft and at least gets to the SB. I think that's doable.

And I agree that thanks to Covid, the draft class is one year older across the board. It just seems like there are a lot of guys coning in around 23 or 24 instead of 21 or 22. I don't know how to explain that. I know it's not because they're finishing their Masters' degrees!

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did dinasours die?
We don't know for sure.
Maybe asteroid impact.
Maybe got hunted to extinction by an alien race.
Who can believe anything when everything is money driven agendas.
And people opinions are underlined by protecting there careers and incomes.

Money is cancer and the whole world is sick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't know for sure.
Maybe asteroid impact.
Maybe got hunted to extinction by an alien race.
Who can believe anything when everything is money driven agendas.
And people opinions are underlined by protecting there careers and incomes.

Money is cancer and the whole world is sick.

Aaron Rodgers immunized them...... LOL

Reaction score
This is an older draft class in general so I expect some traditional norms be broke by Gute and Co. Gute did today again confirm the drafts focus in not the now but the future - which I think was his way of reinforcing he won’t be forced into a specific position mindset.
To add to that. In referencing a question I never caught about moving on the board. Gute said how we really have to be careful no to be overly enamored by a particular favorite player. To me that said he won’t do anything crazy in packaging. (which he obviously has the draft capital) But rather would be patient.

That said he followed it up with basically saying that doesn’t mean he won’t consider moving if there is a segment with a group of high graded players that will help our team.

Reaction score
Tyni you must be excited for Tomorrow. If I had a ticket and the draft was across the street?
I’d give it to you just to see your reaction! Lol

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Other questions:

1) Are they willing to trade Love or set on keeping him?

2) How many of the top receivers are they genuinely interested in?

3) What veteran pass catching options might they try to trade for?

4) What type of defensive linemen and edge rush do they want to complement the current guys on the roster?

5) How eager are they to upgrade over Krys Barnes?

6) How early would they draft a true backup at cornerback?

7) How do they see the future of the safety position and, as a result, what type of safety would they target?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh, and then what's the story with Treylon Burks and George Pickens?

There's smoke about Burks not training before the combine, struggling to keep his weight down at Arkansas, not knowing the playbook, not putting in the effort if he wasn't getting the ball, etc.

And with Pickens, the late smoke is all about his character, and some people I listen to have been unwilling and almost embarrassed to say what it is.

If untrue, they could be awesome picks. If true, they could be mega busts.

Reaction score
Other questions:

1) Are they willing to trade Love or set on keeping him?

2) How many of the top receivers are they genuinely interested in?

3) What veteran pass catching options might they try to trade for?

4) What type of defensive linemen and edge rush do they want to complement the current guys on the roster?

5) How eager are they to upgrade over Krys Barnes?

6) How early would they draft a true backup at cornerback?

7) How do they see the future of the safety position and, as a result, what type of safety would they target?
I’m going to give you MY interpretations as if the interviewee was gone sick and they asked me to step to the mic :cool: (I’m bored)

1. No.
2022 is Clements opportunity to get the best version of Love to come to fruition Tom is as close to a QB whisperer as we get. Gute is already labeled as a failure because of that Love selection. So he has nothing to lose and everything to gain.
1B.

In meantime we have a #2 in the playbook 3 years and he’s about to get some incredible receivers to toss the ball to. Don’t be surprised if…. I’ll tone my prediction to Love will hit his stride this year.

2. Depending on what we deem as top. I think Most would agree a top 50 type selection is the top end WR. I think it’s highly probable that we get one in Rd1 unless they are just wiped out.

3. The draft will decide that. Very Possibly (70%) None at all. It’s my belief the Packers draft at least 2 WR and possibly another flex TE. Those rooms are stocked full. I think the media and bulk of fans see our WR group flailing and spiraling down. I think we won’t see it that way come playoffs this year.

4. Idk. I’ll defer that question to Coach Barry

5. Krys has been a blessing. Yet on many teams he’s a very capable depth piece and that’s not a slight at the NFL level. Barnes is invaluable in buying us time. Pairing Campbell with a quality, high ceiling Rookie could be very formidable if he shows up year 1. If not, we’re ok.. we’ve got Krys. We have time.

6. Brian has never been afraid to overlap at a priority position like CB. It could even be a top 3 or 4th GB selection (Meaning Rd2)!if their is a high value guy we feel good about. You can’t have enough good CB’s. It’s an injury prone position.

7. It’s increasingly likely that Savage is gone next season unless he steps up his game. He’s been ok. But he’s so much more talented than just OK. I’d rather we keep Amos another year or two. I have Safety in the 3rd Round. I could see as high as 2nd Round unless it’s a no brainer type pick. If not I expect a Day 1-2 2023 drafted S

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m going to give you MY interpretations as if the interviewee was gone sick and they asked me to step to the mic :cool: (I’m bored)

1. No.
2022 is Clements opportunity to get the best version of Love to come to fruition Tom is as close to a QB whisperer as we get. Gute is already labeled as a failure because of that Love selection. So he has nothing to lose and everything to gain.
1B.

In meantime we have a #2 in the playbook 3 years and he’s about to get some incredible receivers to toss the ball to. Don’t be surprised if…. I’ll tone my prediction to Love will hit his stride this year.

2. Depending on what we deem as top. I think Most would agree a top 50 type selection is the top end WR. I think it’s highly probable that we get one in Rd1 unless they are just wiped out.

3. The draft will decide that. Very Possibly (70%) None at all. It’s my belief the Packers draft at least 2 WR and possibly another flex TE. Those rooms are stocked full. I think the media and bulk of fans see our WR group flailing and spiraling down. I think we won’t see it that way come playoffs this year.

5. Krys has been a blessing. Yet on many teams he’s a very capable depth piece and that’s not a slight at the NFL level. Barnes is invaluable in buying us time. Pairing Campbell with a quality, high ceiling Rookie could be very formidable if he shows up year 1. If not, we’re ok.. we’ve got Krys. We have time.

6. Brian has never been afraid to overlap at a priority position like CB. It could even be a top 3 or 4th GB selection (Meaning Rd2)!if their is a high value guy we feel good about. You can’t have enough good CB’s. It’s an injury prone position.

7. It’s increasingly likely that Savage is gone next season unless he steps up his game. He’s been ok. But he’s so much more talented than just OK. I’d rather we keep Amos another year or two. I have Safety in the 3rd Round. I could see as high as 2nd Round unless it’s a no brainer type pick. If not I expect a Day 1-2 2023 drafted S
Good point that quality WRs can be had up to about pick #50 of the draft. There are guys who will be drafted after that who will be studs. The GM needs a crystal ball for those guys.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

1. No.
1B.

1. I agree with you.

2. I am a little skeptical. If I am only guessing, I think that they're interested in Williams, London, Burks, and Pickens (of the guys who could go round 1); the former two would probably mean trading up and the latter two apparently have major character red flags.

3. I think that they will try very hard to acquire a veteran pass catcher but that they're willing to pass altogether rather than force a guy that doesn't really fit or a price that's untenable.

4. I can't decide whether they'll target two gappers or interior rushers or both; stand-up, droppable edge rushers or facsimiles of the starters, or both.

5. My guess is that they'll draft some competition for Barnes in the middle rounds and let it play out in camp.

6. I agree that's possible; I know very little about the corners in this class.

7. I agree with that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally feel they only need to draft 1 offensive lineman. If they draft 2 I believe it is more of an indictment on Jenkins health than there confidence in Newman, Nijman and Runyan.
I'm more worried about Bakh's health. He's been out over a year and 27 snaps (Detroit game) two weeks ahead of the Niners game had him sidelined. That's concerning. Well to me it is. I don't recall a good reason for why he didn't play, unless it was the conditions (the field was a mess that night).

Unless I missed something, the question with Jenkins is when he'll be available. But he's another big guy with a torn ACL and like Bakh, it can take a long time to heal. Hopefully, they're both gonna be OK.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope for Savage. He has everything to be a big time play making safety, he just hasn't. I'm good with Amos for as long as he wants to be here. He's as steady as they come, assignment sure, just makes plays down after down and makes his share of big ones at big moments as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am one hundred percent there at OL with you as main. Their belief in Runyan and Newman I think will be stated before the end of Day 2. Upgrading guard play is one of the ways many fail to discuss when wanting to see our passing offense excel no matter who is at WR.

For discussionary reasons I’ll bring up two others -

Their belief that the future of TE1 is in the building…do they target a TE before the end of the third? Why would they if they feel Deguara or Tonyan is the answer they’ll invest serious capital in for the future…Deguara and Tonyan being very different TE types and Davis potentially an answer but very unproven I think an early pick will illustrate in house we question the existence of our future at TE.

Likewise ILB is that as well…safety is one others may say but we simply have a massive need there for future and wouldn’t shock anyone. ILB we locked in Campbell for years, Barnes has been solid and McDuffie and Summers respectibly are there and the organization likes them. BUT upgrading that off ball #2 could be the quickest and easiest way in 2022 of boosting this defense and would express the teams belief that they don’t believe Barnes is going to be an investment for the team into the future.
I don't think Barnes is a long-term starter, just the second best ILB they have. In this draft, I'd be fine if they took a WR and an ILB in rd 1, depending on who falls to them. I'd also be ok with any combination of WR, ILB, or iDL. And if WR drops to rd 2, so be it.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's a question-- will they care that Chris Olave has no physical element to his game? He doesn't break tackles, he doesn't win contested catches, he doesn't block. But he's very fast and runs good routes. Would they just stick him on the outside and let him play in MVS's old role down the field?

I like him but I have struggled the entire process with whether I like him for GB. Still wondering.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Barnes is a long-term starter, just the second best ILB they have. In this draft, I'd be fine if they took a WR and an ILB in rd 1, depending on who falls to them. I'd also be ok with any combination of WR, ILB, or iDL. And if WR drops to rd 2, so be it.

I will never support the drafting of an off ball linebacker in round 1 until I see a for sure first ballot hall of fame type prospect at the position. The positional value of off ball LBs simply isn't that level.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Early on I felt he was too risky. As we learn more about these other guys negatives I am now on the J. Williams bandwagon. I would not trade up to get him because of the injury but if somehow he fell to 22 I would take him without hesitation.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should take best availae between EDGE, OL, CB,S,WR in round 1

Then same thing in round 2 including DT minus positions we filled in round 1.
Definitely 1 receiver within first 4 pics.

Round 3 OL, WR unless we got one round 1 or 2 then go with best player betwin LB,S,CB,TE minus what we got in round 1-2.
Round 4 TE, DT, LB, WR,
Round 5-7 best available depth/prospects inclusive ST players etc..

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do the packers look at recent receiver contracts and realize the potential importance of having an additional fifth year of a controlled contract in drafting a receiver in the first round? They’ve shown that understanding at edge, corner, and qb but recent contracts have pushed receivers into that group as well.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and then what's the story with Treylon Burks and George Pickens?

There's smoke about Burks not training before the combine, struggling to keep his weight down at Arkansas, not knowing the playbook, not putting in the effort if he wasn't getting the ball, etc.

And with Pickens, the late smoke is all about his character, and some people I listen to have been unwilling and almost embarrassed to say what it is.

If untrue, they could be awesome picks. If true, they could be mega busts.
I'm curious about this too, specifically with Pickens. Not the first time I've heard it up but I'm always quite skeptical whenever you hear news like "Oh, it's really bad news. Super bad. So bad that I can't tell you what it's about. I can't even give you the slightest indication as to what it might even be related to, it's that bad. Couldn't even give you the tiniest hint, it's too bad"

But then apparently whatever this terrible deed is was also well-hidden enough that nobody else knows what it is either (or is also unwilling to say) and the news hasn't got out to any non-reporters or unnamed "sources" or coaches or whoever.

Not saying the kid is a saint or anything. I couldn't have the slightest idea one way or another. But it sure seems AWFULLY fishy to hear stuff like this pop up that's seemingly as non-specific a "red flag" as there could possibly be...

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean geez, you would think the guy was on double secret probation or something.

Members online

Latest posts