Young Guards play well!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=502893

Rogers, 6 feet 4 1/2 inches and 340 pounds, appeared to have one hurry against the 299-pound Colledge and one hurry against the 305-pound Moll. He was credited with four tackles and, for perhaps the first time in his 10 games against Favre, failed to get him on the ground.

"Rogers can manhandle anyone," tackle Chad Clifton said. "We just tried to be as firm as possible. I think Colledge did a very admirable job against him today. He's a guy with a bright future."

very happy to see this. you can talk junk all you want to about detroit lions as a whole football team. but you cant say much about their front 7 they are pretty damn solid. and we definetly held our own. that is very very promising for the future.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the line looked OK. Favre had time and did not get sacked, but some was due to playcalling(moving the pocket, quick throws, etc). The run game still has not been able to get on track, and this is the area where the zone blocking scheme will be most evident(as pass blocking is pretty much pass blocking regardless of scheme).

I would like to see a continued committment to the run and watch the young line improve through experience and repetition.

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bigups to the packer line today... as everyone has stated, i would have liked to see more production from the running game but ahman did carry the ball 22 times... sooner or later it's going to come together

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Wells was better than the two guards. He had Rodgers one-on-one on a couple of occasions and stoned him. Really solid stuff from Wells.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prior to the game I really felt with DET's front 4, that Favre was going to get sacked often. This was a pleasant surprise. Also hats off the OL coaching who schemed the DET DL to a tee.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge did do a great job yesterday. To hold up like he did against a player of Rogers ability with what little experience he has shows what kind of upside is there especially considering he could also play tackle.

The technique problems he brought with him hurt early on but he certainly has come a long ways from the pre-season. More than baby steps for such a short period of time.

Hopefully we saw some strides with the DB's in the second half. That was so much better than the previous two and a half games.

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i kinda like the fact that the interior line is young. i know it will ahve its problems early on and we may have bunches of breakdowns... but the fact that they can all grow together and develop is nice.

not to mention it takes the pressure off these kids a little bit when there are a bunch of young people. like with oakland and robert gallery he was young and supposed to be great... but with all the pressure he has so far just crumbled.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hammer said:
Let's hope they stay hungry from week to week.

Thats what I was worried about myself, but the quotes im reading today are making me not worry. They know theres a lot of work to do, and they have to protect the QB like that every damn week.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from the OL for their performance this week, but it is also fair to mention that MM is doing a lot with the game plan to help them out.

He's keeping at least one RB and/or a TE in the backfield on almost every passing play, using such things as the no-huddle, trick plays, quicker passes and rolling pockets more frequently.

While doing things like this can help, they also cut down on your other options offensively.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
Not to take anything away from the OL for their performance this week, but it is also fair to mention that MM is doing a lot with the game plan to help them out.

He's keeping at least one RB and/or a TE in the backfield on almost every passing play, using such things as the no-huddle, trick plays, quicker passes and rolling pockets more frequently.

While doing things like this can help, they also cut down on your other options offensively.

I agree. This is something Mike Sherman(sorry) didn't do. We had a horrible o-line, and what did he do? Empty backfield....and favre would get murdered (yet conspiracy theorists say MM\TT want favre gone...kinda topsy turvy).

This is something that will help us out while the young line come into their own. MM is just using and adapting to what he has on the team, and that adaptability is a good sign for GB fans.

Hopefully in 4-5 weeks we won't have to use so many extra blockers cuz our o-line can handle everything(id like to see them test vs a not so great dline, but using extra blockers vs. Detroit = Smart move)

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They young line wasn't overwhelmed like I thought they could be. But look at our running game and tell me this is a quality line. They are a work in progress. If they continue to improve I'll jump on the band wagon. Right now I see a very young and inexperienced group of kids who are in way over their heads. Hopefully one day, they won't be.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Right now I see a very young and inexperienced group of kids who are in way over their heads.

Really? Looked like the Detroit front 4(plus blitzers!) were in over THEIR heads! Go Rooks!

I agree with the run game, but it wasnt gonna be a complete overhaul in 1 week. 16 game season.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
They young line wasn't overwhelmed like I thought they could be. But look at our running game and tell me this is a quality line. They are a work in progress. If they continue to improve I'll jump on the band wagon. Right now I see a very young and inexperienced group of kids who are in way over their heads. Hopefully one day, they won't be.

The use of the short passing game is just as effective as running. Check out Ahman's receiving yards - check downs and screen passes. Same outcome different stat. It's called the west coast offense, which was lost in Green Bay for a few years.

I did like Sherman's power running game in 03 - 04, the problem was the league caught up to it and the appropriate adjustments weren't made.

The young o-line and MM for that matter deserve a few kudos this week, but there is still a lot of work to do.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree with Dakota T and add that utilizing the athleticism of the line in the short passing game with more ability to get where they need to be and lead the blocking is smart football.

You make up what you lose with battering rams that are less agile this way.

I would also question whether or not these guys are over their heads by any means. Certainly we would like to see the run game more efficient and with time I believe it will come.

We have not played patsies when it comes to run defense. The Saints, Lions, and Bears are ranked 5th, 7th, and 8th against the run. The only 100+yard game out of eight these teams have played was Packers vs. the Bears.

What we do need is for our guys to catch it better and to stop the other team from catching it so much and we will be fine.

I think we got a little better defending in the second half yesterday. There certainly wasn't anybody running loose downfield in the second half like we have seen.

Losing Kearse was bad for Philly. They gave up 24 against the 49'rs and got lucky on a goal line stand fumble or it would have been 31.

But Philly is ranked #1 in passing offense. We can and should score our share. It's time the defense gelled. Hopefully the second half was an indicator it's on it's way.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Lare said:

I agree. This is something Mike Sherman(sorry) didn't do. We had a horrible o-line, and what did he do? Empty backfield....and favre would get murdered (yet conspiracy theorists say MM\TT want favre gone...kinda topsy turvy).

This is something that will help us out while the young line come into their own. MM is just using and adapting to what he has on the team, and that adaptability is a good sign for GB fans.

Hopefully in 4-5 weeks we won't have to use so many extra blockers cuz our o-line can handle everything(id like to see them test vs a not so great dline, but using extra blockers vs. Detroit = Smart move)

I think you also hit on another point worth mentioning Trom, I was impressed with the adjustments MM made in the offensive game plan this week to better suit the strengths & weaknesses of his players.

As you mentioned, this was never one of MS's strong points, and probably one of the major reasons his teams always struggled in the playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts