1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

You Make the Play Call

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by HardRightEdge, Nov 10, 2019.

Go For It or Kick the FG?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2019.
  1. Go For It

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Kick the FG

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. Poppa San

Poppa San Levelheaded Staff Member Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    You set up the poll and said it wasn't based on any particular play or past situation. Yet the discussion almost immediately turned into the situation in the past game.

2. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    To be clear, I didn't say anything about "past situations". I specified the situation. I said "past games", i.e., any specific past outcome (obviously referring to this past game) and to not apply 20/20 highsight.

Half the voters say they would go for it even though the specific play freshest in memory didn't work. Some percentage of those favoring the FG would have stuck with that opinion if it was a FG attempt and it was blocked.

Most readers here got what I was getting at: put yourself in the coach's shoes without 20/20 hindsight. Or put another way, if the same situation arose again in the next game, what would you do? You should give your readers more credit.

Some chose to qualify what they would do based on more situational variables. That's OK. Even as the quetion is posed, one's opinion is based on experiece of a collection of such similar plays, Packers or otherwise, as a question of probabilities. That's OK.

Expecting everybody to avoid dissecting the play that obviously gave rise to poll is hardly surprising to me, and I don't have any problem with it even if it happens to be "off topic" as it were.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I liked the call, not the result. MM would have taken the three. End of story.

4. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That's definitely not the case with me. If you look in the Shoutbox archive, you can see I said we should kick the field goal before the play. I get why people want to be aggressive, but I haven't seen anything to change my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1