You can't tell me you aren't worried about our Defense anymore

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I refuse to buy into the notion that our "D" is poor. Minnesota has alot of good players on their team regardless of their record. They had been riding McNabb up to this point. I'm certain they'd have a win or two more if they had played this Ponder character. He's no slouch.
So yea, the "D" is a concern but it's not one that will lose us a title in January. They are not dominant but I think they are moving in the right direction. As for Jenkins, I think the Pack never, ever considered losing Neal for so long of a time. But hey, they still find a way to win every single game.
At least we know the next opponent isn't a "trap" game as everyone keeps thinking we'll lose. These guys are focused.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They play when they have to. I mean come on 2 interceptions not to mention Minnesota had really short field after punt fumble. Woodson was several inches away from knocking/catching the Jenkins TD pass. BS roughing call on Matthews. It's not as dominant as last year's D in terms of yards and pts too if you wanna argue that but inside the redzone this team is still I think top 5 or top 10 I forgot. In other words, lots of FG compared to TD given up.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Tramon Williams said yesterday that opposing coaches had the whole off season to watch film on Capers' D and they are game planning for him every week. Williams said they can tell because every team they play is now using the same formula against them. He also said the teams are using a lot of max protect during games as well, which is frustrating the D.

Maybe Coach Capers will dig into his bag of tricks and come up with some new wrinkles during the bye to confound these already prepared opponents.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to rewatch the game, but it seemed like when we rushed 3-4, Ponder had all the time he needed, and sat back in the pocket and picked us a part. In the first half, I was screaming for Capers to blitz. He is a rookie quarterback, and has trouble with the blitz. In the second half it appeared that when they blitzed, Ponder had trouble and made several costly mistakes.

I have to disagree with you Sparta. Our pass rush is a problem. Zombo won't help - he hasn't yet and we can't count on Neal being effective if/when he comes back. But our pass rush has been the topic of it seems like 100's of posts, so no sense beating a dead horse. As I have said in all of those posts, as long as we outscore the opponent, it doesn't matter how good or bad our passrush is - we will continue to win - as ugly as some of them may seem.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
We were playing a divisional opponent.

You have to look at all the angles. You can expect us to let Minnesota get by with some things because we play them twice a year, and they know us just like we know them. Just like when we play Chicago, you always see us let them slide with something they normally don't get by with. That's divisional games, and you have to respect that. It never matters the record, a divisional opponent has a 75% chance of beating you than any other teams in the league because you play them twice, and you know them like they know you.

While Ponder did look good, we did not let him look as good as Cam Newton did throwing 400+ yards on us.We DID NOT allow him to complete 50% of his passes too, that's something that no one seems to look at here, and when it mattered the most, our defense stopped them on 3rd down to give the offense back the ball and run the clock.

We are 7-0, our defense is not ranked #1, that's the other side of the coin. Hard to complain when you are the last undefeated team in the league.

Eventually we are going to lose a game, but it will get better. Also, everyone has forgot the cardinal rule of going into this season with the defending Super Bowl champions on their schedule. WE HAVE A TARGET ON OUR BACK. EVERYONE is going to try and knock off the Super Bowl champions! Last year the Saints got out played by teams they should have been blowing out, and were barely beating those teams at that, and at the time they were coming off of a Super Bowl victory. If you have a chance to knock down the defending champs, that's just enough encouragement to play your best 100%. Teams are giving us their best games, because that reason; they have a chance to give us our first loss.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like the secondary decides to live and die by the turnover. If they're not getting picks a lot of time ill see passes completed with no other defenders on the same TV screen as the receiver. They get the turnovers when it counts (thank God for Woodson) but on the same note are maybe too aggressive too often and are easily beaten by receivers when they gamble wrong? It seems too often opposing teams are just able to virtually walk down the field for 3 or 4 first downs before the defense decides to tighten things up.

I know a lot of people have the mentality that "were 7-0 so it's hard to complain" but I just have to say that I'm glad we played New Orleans the first game of the season when everyone was a little unsure of themselves because they're definately good enough to beat us. The time when our team will get into trouble and lose a game is when we will play another elite quarterback who has a shootout with Rodgers and their defense stops us one more time than we stop them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are 9th in points allowed, 9th in rushing yards allowed, and 31st in passing yards allowed. So yeah deny away we have a pass defense problem.

Im dreading Rivers in 2 weeks. But I trust in Capers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I see a defense that has issues right now...Some if not all the issues can be as follows (forgive me if posted already)

1) Missing Collins is huge along with Shields...That is like missing Grant, and Jennings
2) Teams have had all offseason to figure out how to game plan for our D--It has been reported that offenses are doing the same thing..And that means teams see a weekness
3) We are Sb Champs..Teams are gunning for us as hard as possible, specially our division foes

I also see a defense that when really needed, they stop their opponents..

But our pass defense has issues...Lets hope they fix them

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of good points and insight in this thread for both sides of the issue. There is something up with the pass D, 31st in the league isn't something you can just ignore. We do struggle against rookie QBs that we have never faced before, both Newton and Ponder threw us for a loop but that can't be all of it. We are 7 games deep in the season approaching the halfway point. The defense has improved and they seem to really come to life in the 2nd half, but while not trying to be a pain, I would really like to see the 31st ranked pass rush come up a little. I say this because I know they are capable of it. I know the talent is there, they are capable much more. But, then we can look at it from another angle, how can we have a 31st ranked pass rush and still be 7-0, the last team left undefeated? Even with an elite offensive line, the team still needs some means of defense to have the kind of season the Packers are having so far. The root of the problems for the Packers D lies in pass rush, but as I've been saying all this season, it's a problem that can be fixed. They are only going to improve. Injured players are going to heal and players are going to come back from injury. Not to mention, Dom Capers, one of the best defensive coordinators I've seen in my lifetime. While the team has areas to improve upon, I still think a 7-0 record trumps a 31st ranked pass rush. Until the D starts costing us games, I'm not going to worry over them so much. It's not going to be something I'm willing to overlook, but it's also not something that makes me really worry over the defense and the team.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
There are a lot of good points and insight in this thread for both sides of the issue. There is something up with the pass D, 31st in the league isn't something you can just ignore. We do struggle against rookie QBs that we have never faced before, both Newton and Ponder threw us for a loop but that can't be all of it. We are 7 games deep in the season approaching the halfway point. The defense has improved and they seem to really come to life in the 2nd half, but while not trying to be a pain, I would really like to see the 31st ranked pass rush come up a little. I say this because I know they are capable of it. I know the talent is there, they are capable much more. But, then we can look at it from another angle, how can we have a 31st ranked pass rush and still be 7-0, the last team left undefeated? Even with an elite offensive line, the team still needs some means of defense to have the kind of season the Packers are having so far. The root of the problems for the Packers D lies in pass rush, but as I've been saying all this season, it's a problem that can be fixed. They are only going to improve. Injured players are going to heal and players are going to come back from injury. Not to mention, Dom Capers, one of the best defensive coordinators I've seen in my lifetime. While the team has areas to improve upon, I still think a 7-0 record trumps a 31st ranked pass rush. Until the D starts costing us games, I'm not going to worry over them so much. It's not going to be something I'm willing to overlook, but it's also not something that makes me really worry over the defense and the team.

I've began to think that once we finally lose a game, our passing defense will get it back together.

Being the Super Bowl Champions, we're getting everyone's best game. I'm sure if we weren't the defending champs, teams would not be trying to play us lights out. The one that knocks down the defending champs will be crowned, just like when the Falcons beat the Saints last year by a missed field goal in OT, everyone just ran with them as being a great team, and also if it's a losing team, it won't matter it will make their season just for beating the Super Bowl Champions.

Once we drop one game, and come down to earth from the undefeated status, I think it will give much room for the passing defense to improve upon. I'm not saying I want us to lose, but it's going to happen eventually, and it can be a blessing in disguise. Losing to the Patriots last year without Rodgers I believe was a big eye opener, that this team was built to make it to the Super Bowl when we nearly beat them without our starting quarterback.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the D needing to step up. Regardless of being 7-0 there is ALWAYS room for improvement. You have to constantly look to shore up weaknesses and prepare for the next opponent. Teams are always gunning for super bowl champs, 7-0 adds "fuel to their fire"

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
General problems in the NFC North:

Packers: Pass defense
Lions: Oft-injured QB, poor secondary, awful run game
Bears: Forte & Hester their only weapons, Jay Cutler as QB, coach makes dumb decisions, idiotic OC, horrid OL, terrible secondary
Vikings: Depleted secondary, bad OL, gutless coach, only plays 2 quarters out of 4, can't hang on to a lead to save their lives, McNabb a waste of money, the fact that they're the Vikings

Yeah, the Packers are in a deep hole. They're so lucky they're 7-0.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

Bears: Forte & Hester their only weapons, Jay Cutler as QB, coach makes dumb decisions, idiotic OC, horrid OL, terrible secondary
Vikings: Depleted secondary, bad OL, gutless coach, only plays 2 quarters out of 4, can't hang on to a lead to save their lives, McNabb a waste of money, the fact that they're the Vikings

Nobody can say that better, you summed it all up perfectly!!!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

And yet, with a depleted secondary, bad OL, gutless coach and only playing 2 quarters out of 4. Not of mention a rookie QB in his first start throwing less than 50%, the Vikings took the Packers to 30 seconds left in the game before the Packer put it to rest for good. All it took was two interceptions and a blown coverage by a backup DB for the Packers to win. Have fun the rest of the season. The Packers tough part of the schedule begins after the bye.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

And don't forget the Lions can't stop the run either.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you won't be convinced there is a problem until we lose? I guess that's a rather overly optimistic attitude to have, but really? We were nearly beaten by a rookie QB in his first game. We were absolute crap on 3rd down, our receivers dropped a lot of easy passes, wide open holes in our defense made Ponder look like Joe Montana.

If you don't see a problem or room for improvement. We'll I guess everyone suffers from delusion on some level.
Some folks on here see the glass as half empty.
Others, such as myself, see it as half full.

I don't really understand what there is to complain about with the defense when they hold the teams back from scoring and let the Packers O run up the score to surpass the other team when they are behind.
The D is helping the O win game after game after game starting from last season.
All total, the Pack is 13-0.

Right now, my most unforgettable game this season is the Atlanta one. The D did not let the Falcons score any more points in the second half on Atlanta's own turf.
After that I am now convinced that this team will refuse, absolutely refuse, to let any teams beat them this season.
Think about that next time before you want to complain about this d.

You don't have to be satisfied with the d, but you should at the very least be satisfied with things they are doing and give credit and props where it's due.
They are helping the Pack win games.
At least be happy with that.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And yet, with a depleted secondary, bad OL, gutless coach and only playing 2 quarters out of 4. Not of mention a rookie QB in his first start throwing less than 50%, the Vikings took the Packers to 30 seconds left in the game before the Packer put it to rest for good. All it took was two interceptions and a blown coverage by a backup DB for the Packers to win. Have fun the rest of the season. The Packers tough part of the schedule begins after the bye.

In my opinion the toughest part of the schedule is past having played the Saints, Falcons and two division opponents on their own turf. San Diego (and possibly Det in Det) are the only real tough games left. Yet with all the problems you propose the Packers have, they must have just been lucky for 7 straight games. Don't you wish the Vikings were that lucky?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we are 7-0. But there will come a time when our pass defense has to play better than it's 31st ranking. There's a problem there and I think it's going to bite us in the **** if it isn't fixed. I hope it's not when we are in the playoffs where it's a loss and out.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Some folks on here see the glass as half empty.
Others, such as myself, see it as half full.

I don't really understand what there is to complain about with the defense when they hold the teams back from scoring and let the Packers O run up the score to surpass the other team when they are behind.
The D is helping the O win game after game after game starting from last season.
All total, the Pack is 13-0.

Right now, my most unforgettable game this season is the Atlanta one. The D did not let the Falcons score any more points in the second half on Atlanta's own turf.
After that I am now convinced that this team will refuse, absolutely refuse, to let any teams beat them this season.
Think about that next time before you want to complain about this d.

You don't have to be satisfied with the d, but you should at the very least be satisfied with things they are doing and give credit and props where it's due.
They are helping the Pack win games.
At least be happy with that.
The problem that many are pointing out is that so far the Packer have won despite the Defensive shortcomings. But with a tougher schedule ahead, the Vikings are currently the only team with a losing record at this point, that the Packer have left to play. The defense may not be able to always depend on Rodgers to pull out a TD to win the game.

Members online

Latest posts