Yosh Nijman - The Answer, The Question, The Dilemma

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
100% agree, his ceiling is yet to be hit.
I agree with this as well. He just needs more time playing. Does he even have 15 games or 700 offensive snaps under his belt? Really good scouting and coaching is important. I wouldn't trade him for a future 3rd round pick given our current uncertainties on the o-line.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes and No, he will not be a household name to all the league, however - don't be shocked if the team knows Bakh is likely done to see us work out an affordable escalating two or three year deal on Yosh
I would agree with you if Yosh was playing guard. Even if Bahk and Jenkins knock Yosh out of a starting roll, teams don't forget quality LT's in this league. If the Packers let Yosh hit Free Agency, he will get some big offers.

Depending on Bahk's abilities IF and WHEN he comes back, I would almost rather see the Packers trade/cut Bahk at some point and keep both Yosh and Jenkins.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree with you if Yosh was playing guard. Even if Bahk and Jenkins knock Yosh out of a starting roll, teams don't forget quality LT's in this league. If the Packers let Yosh hit Free Agency, he will get some big offers.

Hold back some, I'm not saying he won't get offers, however I also don't feel teams are going to start lobbing Yosh just yet full time multi-year starting LT pay. Yosh and his agent are smiling though presently, because Yosh at WORST is proving with each game he isn't just potentially a LT in the league (even if bottom third) but IS a LT in the league.

Example Terron Armstead got $15M a year on his five year deal. He had injury issues in 2021, but previously before that as we know played LT for New Orleans for three straight years, totaling over 2400 snaps in those three seasons. Yosh won't get this level $ IMO. Elgton may, but not Yosh.

However, in a world without Bakh, if I understand contract right we save right around $8M cutting Bakh before next season...I'd give Yosh that for a year for sure...or around that depending how he plays out this year. Shoring up two Tackles like him and Jenkins provide flexibility then between JRJ, Newman, Tom and Rhyan (progression needed) at the guard and back up Tackle spots.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
However, in a world without Bakh, if I understand contract right we save right around $8M cutting Bakh before next season...I'd give Yosh that for a year for sure
I think you are way underestimating Yosh's value. If he stays healthy and continues to get enough work, he will play himself out of GB, unless they decide to part with either Bahk or Jenkins. I also think if he sits behind both of those guys and doesn't get a lot of snaps, a team will make him a much higher offer to play LT than $8M/year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are way underestimating Yosh's value. If he stays healthy and continues to get enough work, he will play himself out of GB, unless they decide to part with either Bahk or Jenkins. I also think if he sits behind both of those guys and doesn't get a lot of snaps, a team will make him a much higher offer to play LT than $8M/year.

It would be a deal structured with a hit to us of $8M that first year, not saying his overall AAV is that.

However, I also don't think the league will see him as a better LT than Terron - who had YEARS of starting level experience right this moment. I fully admit I think Yosh will continue to add to his resume because I don't think Bakh will be close to playing half the remaining games if that honestly.

GB and how they handle the Bakh issue + Jenkins and Yosh contracts this off season are going to play a massive part to our future....and could to the #12 sticking around possibly if we are restarting both tackle spots over....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It would be a deal structured with a hit to us of $8M that first year, not saying his overall AAV is that.

However, I also don't think the league will see him as a better LT than Terron - who had YEARS of starting level experience right this moment. I fully admit I think Yosh will continue to add to his resume because I don't think Bakh will be close to playing half the remaining games if that honestly.

GB and how they handle the Bakh issue + Jenkins and Yosh contracts this off season are going to play a massive part to our future....and could to the #12 sticking around possibly if we are restarting both tackle spots over....
ahhh....on the $8M hit. I think they could do even better than that and probably will need to, especially if they trade/cut Bahk.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhh....on the $8M hit. I think they could do even better than that and probably will need to, especially if they trade/cut Bahk.

We do have some decent hitting contracts expiring too though like Lowry ($8M hit this year), Cobb ($4.1M), Crosby ($4.7M), Lewis ($4.5M), Amos ($7.2M), Tonyan ($2.4M), Reed ($1.7M)

However of those you almost cannot "afford" to let Amos walk with Savage's play lacking....Tonyan could be a resigning candidate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We do have some decent hitting contracts expiring too though like Lowry ($8M hit this year), Cobb ($4.1M), Crosby ($4.7M), Lewis ($4.5M), Amos ($7.2M), Tonyan ($2.4M), Reed ($1.7M)

However of those you almost cannot "afford" to let Amos walk with Savage's play lacking....Tonyan could be a resigning candidate.
I know you love to look that far ahead, but I just can't, at least not 1 game into the season. :)

Way too much can happen between now and March. Players get hurt and/or take leaps forward/backward.

The one prediction I will make after game 1, Gute is going to realize that he mad a mistake not addressing the WR position early enough in the process. Now in his defense, I doubt he ever thought that Adams wanted out of GB.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you love to look that far ahead, but I just can't, at least not 1 game into the season. :)

Way too much can happen between now and March. Players get hurt and/or take leaps forward/backward.

The one prediction I will make after game 1, Gute is going to realize that he mad a mistake not addressing the WR position early enough in the process. Now in his defense, I doubt he ever thought that Adams wanted out of GB.

Oh for sure, but that's how my mind works. It's why working in a GM or under one is my dream...I'd have so many big boards and hypothetical scenarios mapped out on whiteboards on my walls it would be insane. (emphasis on that last bit LOL )

Reaction score
I don't know who had who in blocking assignments. Sometimes they leave that back guy open or have the TE push him into the pile.
I thought about that also, the TE. But on This play Lewis came in motion from outside and lined up in front of Z as if he was going to block him. Then upon the snap he ran away from Z. There is no way Lewis let’s an Edge come unabated into the play design. Lewis is such a seasoned professional that I have a hard time thinking he left a guy totally unblocked (unless he thought it wasn’t his responsibility to begin with).
This 1 yard goal line was hard to watch for me because that entire beautiful drive rested on that 1 play. I still think Nijman is a good player that shows tremendous effort, but letting him off the hook there is being too gracious.
Im about 75% sure that Dillon gets 1 yard there if no one trips him 3 yards in the backfield.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

However, in a world without Bakh, if I understand contract right we save right around $8M cutting Bakh before next season...

The Packers would only save $6 million by moving on from Bakhtiari before the start of the next league year.

I believe you're overestimating Nijman's value. I don't see any other team offer him $8 million a year let alone more next offseason if he doesn't end up starting the majority of games this year.

Despite that the Packers have the eighth highest cap space allocated towards their roster in 2023 at this point.

Members online

Latest posts