Yosh Nijman - The Answer, The Question, The Dilemma

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back at the 2019 draft and the 2021 Green Bay Roster might lead someone to wonder, just how did Yosh Nijman go undrafted...and dig deeper and that question only gets bigger?

I mean here is a giant of a man, with two years starting blindside experience (32 total while at Virginia Tech) - minimal injury history and an off the chart RAS score. His measurables were:

6'7'
314 lbs
34.125 inch arms
10.125 inch hands

An ELITE 9.8 RAS SCORE
4.88 Forty Yard Dash
30.5 Vert
906 broad
4.5 shuttle...folks this is insane for his size

Those measurables + his experience in D1 alone would almost always assure someone a draft spot on Day 3 WORST CASE. Perhaps someday we will hear the story of Yosh from the perspective of Gute and others upon realizing he was out there in the UDFA pool. Now remember we weren't desperate for any real help along the OL, and what we did need I'm sure in house they felt picking Elgton Jenkins in the Second Round of 2019 did just that....but Yosh projected as someone worth trying to get in house.

THE ANSWER
Fast forward three years and here we are watching Yosh playing 157 of the 176 possible snaps at left tackle in the pre-season and seeing his name on the starting lineup due to injuries for the 2021 season. As I type this it is claimed by PFF that one Yosh's 474 offensive snaps this year, he has allowed a mere 3 sacks and only committed 3 penalties. His overall grade: 64.2. For a little reference, Elgton Jenkins in 2020 regular season graded out at 67.7...so while it is a far cry from Bakhtiari's normal 80+ grading, Yosh answered arguably the biggest call Green Bay had to place this year to one single player.

THE QUESTION
With games yet to be played and no doubt more snaps to occur, everyone would much prefer to focus on the pursuit of the highest goal: a super bowl. However, no doubt in the back of many minds is just how and what does Yosh represent for the future and how does it play out in post season decisions? With his level of play there is little doubt that if the tender placed on him is not high enough, a man of his stature with now the experiences he has put on tape at LT - will draw attention from other teams. So while it isn't a question anyone needs to worry about now...the question still remains: What to do or offer/tender Yosh Nijman for upon this year's end?

In the end it all can wait for another day to decide, we've got a game on February 13th to fight to get to...for now let's just appreciate a man that is and has played a massive part in somehow getting us to where we are. A man no one expected or if we are honest wanted to see have to play a ton...yet here we are.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

(Picture from Dairyland Express)

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always worry about any OL over 6'6". I just don't think the human knee can handle the stresses a big man taking that kind of pounding.

He has been a huge surprise and is one of the players we can point to and say that he probably saved this season.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the cap issues, it could be a problem with the tender offer. I think Turner is going to be a cap casualty and Yosh is the RT of the future. They need to prioritize keeping Yosh.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the cap issues, it could be a problem with the tender offer. I think Turner is going to be a cap casualty and Yosh is the RT of the future. They need to prioritize keeping Yosh.

This even with a higher tender would save us a few million in 2022 for sure. Sucks cutting Turner as he has been solid and dependable, but that move is one on my mind as well as a no brainer possibly to save a few million - which is going to be important to do.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted earlier this season that Nijman would be an ideal Turner -replacement at RT and his play bolsters that idea. Like Turner, but not at $9mil in '22. I think Stenavich has worked hard to correct most of Nijman's technical short-comings and GB will continue reaping the rewards.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted earlier this season that Nijman would be an ideal Turner -replacement at RT and his play bolsters that idea. Like Turner, but not at $9mil in '22. I think Stenavich has worked hard to correct most of Nijman's technical short-comings and GB will continue reaping the rewards.

Yup quite a few of us sorta see the writing on the wall for Turner, only due to the cap situation we are facing - definitely not due to his play for sure.

I will say this, I think many shouldn't be surprised if before Day 2 of the NFL draft comes to an end Green Bay has an athletic OL and most likely Tackle added.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll be afford Yosh and Turner....once we trade Rodgers, Jones and Adams out. :rolleyes:

Um....

Adams is costing us literally zero right now in 2022. There is no more or less money to go around due to him.

Jones is going nowhere as it actually costs us money to cut/release him for the 2022 season - if he leaves it will be after next year.

The only one of those potentially listed that could assist in the cap issues is Rodgers in a trade, and a lot of that depends on trade details and items which can or cannot be included in them contract wise - I'll leave explaining that to someone else like @captainWIMM Rodgers has a bunch of voided money now on his contract...which I'm not even sure if can be included in a trade to a team that didn't construct the voided year...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like, but I guess that depends on Bachtiari

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll be afford Yosh and Turner....once we trade Rodgers, Jones and Adams out. :rolleyes:
Difficult for me to understand people that don't see the value of Aaron Jones. Even the accountants out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

THE QUESTION
However, no doubt in the back of many minds is just how and what does Yosh represent for the future and how does it play out in post season decisions? With his level of play there is little doubt that if the tender placed on him is not high enough, a man of his stature with now the experiences he has put on tape at LT - will draw attention from other teams. So while it isn't a question anyone needs to worry about now...the question still remains: What to do or offer/tender Yosh Nijman for upon this year's end?

The Packers could put a second round tender on Nijman next offseason, which would have cost $3.384 million in 2021. I highly doubt any other team would be interested in giving up that much to sign him to a better deal. Ideally, the team would be able to sign him to a cheaper long-term deal though.

The only one of those potentially listed that could assist in the cap issues is Rodgers in a trade, and a lot of that depends on trade details and items which can or cannot be included in them contract wise - I'll leave explaining that to someone else like @captainWIMM Rodgers has a bunch of voided money now on his contract...which I'm not even sure if can be included in a trade to a team that didn't construct the voided year...

Actually the Packers could save more cap space by extending Rodgers compared to trading him. As a side note, the voided years added will count against the Packers cap at some point no matter what.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could put a second round tender on Nijman next offseason, which would have cost $3.384 million in 2021. I highly doubt any other team would be interested in giving up that much to sign him to a better deal. Ideally, the team would be able to sign him to a cheaper long-term deal though.

Actually the Packers could save more cap space by extending Rodgers compared to trading him. As a side note, the voided years added will count against the Packers cap at some point no matter what.

I agree, and think the second round tender is what might be in the future for Yosh....and like others suspect think good chance he gets a crack at the RT spot when Turner is a cap casualty. I predict it is Yosh or a rookie draft pick that is our RT in 2022.

As for the second part, yup an extension would for sure save money no doubt as it would be structured with that intent should we convince him to stay. Thanks for the voided information I knew you would know.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a question for folks...this season we saw us lose arguably two of our top 4 players (#69 and #23). Who in your opinion has delivered and answered the call more than the other:

Yosh - stepping up at LT (and Jenkins as well)
Stokes/Rasul - filling the void of Jaire (and King unable to perform mostly)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a question for folks...this season we saw us lose arguably two of our top 4 players (#69 and #23). Who in your opinion has delivered and answered the call more than the other:

Really hard to pick one that answered the call more than others... all of the replacements have been phenomenal in their efforts to keep AR upright and the D above average.
Rasul/Alexander, Nijman/Jenkins/Bakhtiari, Deguara/Davis/Tonyan, Patrick/Myers, OLB's/Z. Smith, and I'm probably missing a few. D. Campbell acquisition has been huge at ILB. Kelly for Turner has turned out to be decent after a really rough ST start for Kelly.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not where we are now without the contributions of all of the above named players.
Terrific work fellas.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, and think the second round tender is what might be in the future for Yosh....and like others suspect think good chance he gets a crack at the RT spot when Turner is a cap casualty. I predict it is Yosh or a rookie draft pick that is our RT in 2022.

I would prefer the Packers to re-sign Nijman to a long-term deal to lower the cap hit for next season.

Don't get me wrong, Nijman has done a fantastic job filling in this season. But in my opinion Rodgers makes up for a lot of deficiencies on the offensive line. I don't think the unit would have looked that good with any other quarterback.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to re-sign Nijman to a long-term deal to lower the cap hit for next season.

Don't get me wrong, Nijman has done a fantastic job filling in this season. But in my opinion Rodgers makes up for a lot of deficiencies on the offensive line. I don't think the unit would have looked that good with any other quarterback.

So then your vote would go Stokes/Rasul in that question?

I'd be game for a multi-year deal on Yosh

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Douglas acquisition has turned out extraordinarily well no doubt.

That said, I believe the Campbell acquisition has been the one true game changer from the get go. It seemed to me that the entire defense took on a much more tough and aggressive persona with him in the middle. It just looks, behaves and smells different from previous years. He's my team MVP for the 21 season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So then your vote would go Stokes/Rasul in that question?

I'd be game for a multi-year deal on Yosh
I think Nijman will get a 2 year offer much like Lucas Patrick did a couple of years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts