Yet another "whoops. Our bad."

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LJ fined $7.5 k
L.J. FINED $7,500

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that Chiefs running back Larry Johnson was fined $7,500 for planting a flag in the end zone after scoring a touchdown against the Packers on Sunday.

The move, albeit not premeditated, still constitutes the use of a prop. Thus, the fine applies.

One of the bozos who runs around with an enormous flag bearing the team's logo handed the pole to Johnson after he scored a touchdown. Johnson then rammed it into the ground, a la Michigan State on Notre Dame's turf a couple of years ago.

League rules prohibit the use of the ball or any other prop in touchdown celebrations. It is still permitted, however, to dunk the ball over the goal post or to jump into the stands.

Once again, something that should've been an call was missed by the officials during the game, yet is "made ok" by the league less than a week later.

At least LJ is doing something with all that guaranteed money that he hasn't earned this season....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really didn't care that they didn't penalize him. It just seemed so spur-of-the-moment, unlike T.O's sharpie or Joe Horn's cell phone. I would've been pissed if a Packer player did that and got penalized. And so would a lot of other Packer fans. No doubt, the refs have made some crappy calls against the Packers this season, but this one is not high on my list. The real bad ones were the two TD's that they took away from us against the Redskins and that bogus call for lining up in front of the center on that one field goal attempt by the Bears.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous. I hope these officials are heavily fined. They obviously have no idea what they're doing, or what the rules are. Its embarrassing really.

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I would've been pissed if a Packer player did that and got penalized. And so would a lot of other Packer fans.

I would've been pissed if a Packer player did that period. At the player. It would've been a boneheaded, lack-of-discipline penalty.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what's the 'our bad' count at for GB this year so far? 5?

Possibly costed us our only loss too. Ricockulous.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty cool that he did it. I'd much rather see someone do that then do some of the crap they do. Only Deion Sanders should be allowed to do endzone dances, Everyone else just looks like a clown.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Greg C. said:
I would've been pissed if a Packer player did that and got penalized. And so would a lot of other Packer fans.

I would've been pissed if a Packer player did that period. At the player. It would've been a boneheaded, lack-of-discipline penalty.
When Bigby kicked the ball, at his OWN frustration, he was flagged immediatly. LJ makes a big display in the endzone, that takes a WHOLE lot more time then Bigby kicking at a ball, and uses a prop right in front of the refs, and NOTHING.
The Packers should be keeping count of all the bogus or non calls all season, and print up an article in the newspaper at the end of the season. Then let the NFL give them one fine for it. It would be WORTH it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Then let the NFL give them one fine for it. It would be WORTH it.
If I were MM, I would be broke. LOL
I know......it HAS to burn him BAD! If it had been me on the sideline, watching LJ do his stunt, i would have run out and grabbed the first ref and asked him where the hell the flag was!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
I thought it was pretty cool that he did it. I'd much rather see someone do that then do some of the crap they do. Only Deion Sanders should be allowed to do endzone dances, Everyone else just looks like a clown.

What about that old Bengals guy, forgot his name, the guy who did the Iggy shuffle?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

What about that old Bengals guy, forgot his name, the guy who did the Iggy shuffle?
Ickey Woods

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please, let's not ruin a great season by pretending the refs have a conspiracy against the Pack. They've made some mistakes. It happens. They suck.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but it just doesn't seem worthwhile to complain about the refs failing to throw a flag for a TD celebration that was not preplanned and not insulting to anyone, even if it was technically against the rules. Try as I might, I just can't muster up any anger about this one.

Some goofball handed him a flag and he stuck it in the field. Big deal. I really don't think it violated the spirit of the rule.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
As I said in the NFL thread of this topic.. I personally had no issue with the none flag... it was a spur of the moment thing that is no different to me that jumping in the stand for the Leap..

PS.. the Leap probably causes more a delay than the waving of a flag does.. different complaint but same nature.. how can a goalpost be a prop and the stands not be one.. the post isn't going anywhere?

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was him do that I was sure the officals would throw a flag.
I was really surprised that they didn't.
Personally I can live with him waving the flag. It is the jamming it into the turf that I found offensive.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in the NFL thread of this topic.. I personally had no issue with the none flag... it was a spur of the moment thing that is no different to me that jumping in the stand for the Leap..

PS.. the Leap probably causes more a delay than the waving of a flag does.. different complaint but same nature.. how can a goalpost be a prop and the stands not be one.. the post isn't going anywhere?

The delay is the same.

But one is jumping into the stands of your HOME stadium.

and the other is jamming a flag into the opponents field, which is insulting(and messing up the field, even though it was out of play).

I know it wasn't malicious, but flag worthy, oh hell yeah. Just another botch job by the NFL.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

The delay is the same.

and the other is jamming a flag into the opponents field, which is insulting(and messing up the field, even though it was out of play).

I know it wasn't malicious, but flag worthy, oh hell yeah. Just another botch job by the NFL.

Um, the game was played in Kansas City, trom. How many beers did you have?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Pack93z said:

The delay is the same.

Um, the game was played in Kansas City, trom. How many beers did you have?

Was it really? Well then...good, let em mess up their own field! :oops:

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of the rules are retarded. The delay of game rule is retarded. I personally think that the anti-celebration penalties are retarded. The dances, props, everything like that was usually just in good fun, IMO.

I guess my point is that we get flags for ticky-tack, could go either way PI calls all day, highly questionable holding calls that negate TDs, 12-men on the field calls reversed when they were obvioiusly in violation, and when an obvious violation of what is supposed to be an emphasized rule is made by an opposing player, it gets ignored during the game.

I don't think that there is a conspiracy, just ****** squads calling most of the Packers games.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree that it is kind of a lame rule. But it is the rule. And I don't think its too much too ask that the officials actually know the rules. Theres no excuse for the officials to be that ignorant.

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When calls go against your team the refs are always called out and blamed. When calls go for your team no-one says anything.

That's the nature of the game and of being a fan.

We won at KC and that's all that matters.

The celebration clearly wasn't preplanned and I have no qualms with it whatsoever.

It would only annoy me if the same set of refs called the Packers for doing the same thing.

Come to think of it we were flagged for delay of game on the forward pass that was deemed at the time a lateral and our player kicked it out of bounds to stop a turnover. After review it was deemed forward and then we were flagged for delay of game for deliberately kicking the ball. The play should have just been called as an incomplete pass as no whistle had blown and the packer player had no idea at the time that the play was dead.

You know what.

Scratch everything I just wrote above saying the refs aren't biased against the pack!!!!!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup Flep.....thats just it. Theres no consistency (unless you want to say consistantly BAD) as far as the refs go this year. I'n SHOCKED that we are 7-1 with the way the refs seem to work so hard to get us.
They say it all evens out in the end.........which means we should win ALL of our remaining games by bad calls made FOR us by the refs.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the lion's have been getting bad calls for years. believe it. good teams get the good calls. last couple of years packers weren't all that good. so it's not surprising to hear of the missed calls. I'm serious about this. seen it happen again and again. The pack is just normally very good, so you guys don't see it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When calls go against your team the refs are always called out and blamed. When calls go for your team no-one says anything.

That's the nature of the game and of being a fan.

We won at KC and that's all that matters.

The celebration clearly wasn't preplanned and I have no qualms with it whatsoever.

It would only annoy me if the same set of refs called the Packers for doing the same thing.

Come to think of it we were flagged for delay of game on the forward pass that was deemed at the time a lateral and our player kicked it out of bounds to stop a turnover. After review it was deemed forward and then we were flagged for delay of game for deliberately kicking the ball. The play should have just been called as an incomplete pass as no whistle had blown and the packer player had no idea at the time that the play was dead.

You know what.

Scratch everything I just wrote above saying the refs aren't biased against the pack!!!!!!

That delay of game call was another screwup by the officials, but if they were biased against the Pack don't you think they could've picked a better place to make a bad call? It was a five-yard penalty when the Packer offense was going backwards anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts