Yes, it is the biggest game of the season so far:

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it is the biggest game of the season so far:

... But far from the biggest game the Packers strive for...

By Bruce Smith

Yes, it is a huge game, and yes the Packers should play to win, but Mike McCarthy and his young team is wise to keep one regular season game in perspective.

The winner and loser of Thursday’s big game for bragging rights are both likely to get byes in the first round of the playoffs. While the winner of Thursday’s game has the inside track on home field advantage, it is far from guaranteed to the winner.

Four games will remain for both teams after the Shootout at the Cowboys Corral.

Below is the remaining schedule:

PACKERS

Dec. 9 vs. Oakland (2-8)
Dec. 16 at St. Louis (2-8)
Dec. 23 at Chicago (4-6)
Dec. 30 vs. Detroit (6-5)
Combined record: 14-27

Detroit is the only team with a winning record the Packers will face, and they beat the Lions on Thursday, 37-26 and get them at home next time.

COWBOYS

Dec. 9 at Detroit (6-5)
Dec. 16 vs. Philadelphia (5-5)
Dec. 22 at Carolina (4-6)
Dec. 30 at Washington (5-5)
Combined record: 20-21

Three of the last four games are on the road and all 4 teams are still in playoff contention, and will be playing to keep playoff hopes alive.

The Packers are currently a battered team with a number of injuries to key players. In contrast, Dallas is relatively healthy, coming out of their game against the Jets without an injury.

I will not be surprised if Mike McCarthy decides to protect some of his injured players to have them available for the rest of this season and more importantly, for the second season – where every game is: win or go home.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is this guy saying your coach is going to hold some players out of Superbowl 41 and 3/4 so you can assure they are there later.... Thats very dumb , this game will decide who is the number one seed. Dallas will not lose against any of the teams after this game so if Dallas pulls this off I know no one else will beat them anyway. The strategy this guy seems to be implying is to be conservative and for that he is dumb.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is this guy saying your coach is going to hold some players out of Superbowl 41 and 3/4 so you can assure they are there later.... Thats very dumb , this game will decide who is the number one seed. Dallas will not lose against any of the teams after this game so if Dallas pulls this off I know no one else will beat them anyway. The strategy this guy seems to be implying is to be conservative and for that he is dumb.

All he's saying is the Pack shouldn't put hurt guys in the game which would risk them getting hurt even more. No need to call people dumb.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Number 1 seed means jack **** if your key players are hurt.

Agreed.

Injuries are what got us killed in '02. A lot of us Packer fans remember this season very well.

Reaction score
Thats very dumb , this game will decide who is the number one seed. Dallas will not lose against any of the teams after this game so if Dallas pulls this off I know no one else will beat them anyway. The strategy this guy seems to be implying is to be conservative and for that he is dumb.

For you to call Bruce is downright absurd.

Here is one important thing for you to consider: Dallas is a great running team, better than Green Bay.

In the cold weather, in Lambeau, you will need to run the ball effectively to win. Guess what Cowgirlfan, Dallas has a clear advantage.

Where as playing in Dallas, the Pack will be better suited in running a pass heavy game to exploit Dallas' weakness with S's that aren't exactly great in pass D.

Also, having players like Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, KGB, Aaron Rouse at full speed will allow us to exploit the speed these players have on the field in Dallas.

In short, Bruce and many others that agree with the line of thinking presented by Bruce in his original post, realize that when healthy, the Packers are a team capable of competing with Dallas, even on their turf.

And the real meeting actually worth a damn will be in the playoffs, not this week.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that our depth behind our missing players is rock solid, and good enough to allow us a shot to win the game.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:yeah:

The man speaks truth!
I think that Washington beats Dallas in the final week of the season. Campbell was a mistake away from winning the game for the Redskins IN Dallas, and the final meeting will be IN Washington. I'm looking forward to that game.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The man speaks truth!
I think that Washington beats Dallas in the final week of the season. Campbell was a mistake away from winning the game for the Redskins IN Dallas, and the final meeting will be IN Washington. I'm looking forward to that game.

Th only way the Deadkins beat us is as this: If we win on Thursday and then do not win a game until week 17 leaving us at 14-1 and you at 13-2 maybe less. Then if that happens we will put subs in anyways and win or lose it would not matter we would still be the #1 seed. Unless a loss will not hurt us that game I can assure you we would not let those losers beat us.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Dallas's chances here even though I am rooting for the Packers of course. I don't quite believe this insane amount of confidence Dallas is getting right now. They really do have a great record and have been playing well, but I think they will slip up in a game. Maybe not against Green Bay, but we all saw how the Bills game almost got away from them. I see Dallas losing one more game for sure going into the playoffs. Call me crazy...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jnells said:

The man speaks truth!

Th only way the Deadkins beat us is as this: If we win on Thursday and then do not win a game until week 17 leaving us at 14-1 and you at 13-2 maybe less. Then if that happens we will put subs in anyways and win or lose it would not matter we would still be the #1 seed. Unless a loss will not hurt us that game I can assure you we would not let those losers beat us.

No offense Cowboysfan, but that Deadkins game was closer than you would have liked to admit. That game came down to a hail mary, which of course the odds are in your side when it comes down to that, but I'd imagine that last two minutes had you worried. Also, didn't you get a late interception deep in your territory as well?

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboysfan178 said:
jnells said:

The man speaks truth!

No offense Cowboysfan, but that Deadkins game was closer than you would have liked to admit. That game came down to a hail mary, which of course the odds are in your side when it comes down to that, but I'd imagine that last two minutes had you worried. Also, didn't you get a late interception deep in your territory as well?

I do agree that game was too close but I wasn't worried really... Even if they scored I knew Dallas could have kicked a game winning FG. Luckily it never came to that.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the Cowboys... with a passion... that said, if we can give Christ (Favre) time he will shred that secondary up, besides Newman theres no cover people there IMHO... Our defense will hold up and the running game wont affect us. Romo will need to have a big game and with our corners I just can't see it happening. Good luck 'girls

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jnells said:

The man speaks truth!

Washington gave you a game in Dallas. At home they'll probably do the same. I do agree that Dallas should win every game the rest of the way with Green Bay has a pick em right now but nothing is a given when divisional teams play.

packerbacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dallas game

the way i see this game going is i dont think dallas can cover all 4 or 5 wr we put on the field.They have 2 good cb's and there safties are horrible in coverage so we can take advantage of that very easily. They only way we can do that is if the o line can handle their 3-4, by the way have we played anyone yet that runs the 3-4,that would be intersting to see how we did against it. i think our d will hold their rbs wont stop them but will contain them and owens will have a decent game, nowhere near 4 tds like last game but hawk on witten will be big hes had troubles with the te's lately but those are the only 2 weoponsthey have that kinda worry me
lets here what every one else has to think i perdict the score 21-28 pack lests hope im right that will gave us homefiled thoughout the playoffs and thats the ultamate homefield in januray below 34 degrees cant beat that

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
dallas game

The biggest concern I have is Favre has never had a good game at Texas Stadium that I can remember. All I can remember is tons of INTs in playoff games there. Ugh...

This is a big game and Favre can get spastic in big games (Chicago for example this year, stupid INT). I hope our young team can go in there with a lot of poise and come out victors. Or at least show they have the talent to possibly beat the Cowboys in a rematch later in the year. The Dallas media has basically crowned Dallas the Best Team in the NFC and NFC champions already. Hope we can show them differently.

If Woodson can't go 100% we are in really big trouble then for sure as I don't think we have anybody besides him who can cover T.O. Al Harris is solid but your gonna need a real standout corner to shutdown T.O. Even then he'll get some TDs I'm sure.

Romo's mobility is gonna be another issue.

Maybe it's just me but I think this is going to be a high scoring game for both sides.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dallas game

This 5 WR set thing you guys keep talking about on here is going to get Farve hit tons if you do that.... I kinda doubt you guys are gonna go 5 WR set too many times.

Members online

Latest posts