Year End Awards?? A real head scratcher

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was laying in bed last night thinking to myself......with one game left in a very forgettable season, if awards HAD to be handed out, who would they go to?

1. MVP? I would have to say for lack of anyone else, it would be AR. Not really for what he did on the field this year. More for showing and proving to everyone just how valuable he is to the team.
  2. Offensive Player of the year?
  3. Defensive Player of the year? Clark?
  4. Rookie of the year? Williams?
  5. Most improved player of the year?
  6. Most disappointing player of the year?

I will let others run with this if they want to. I except #6, sadly, to get the most discussion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

MVP: Rodgers
Offensive player of the year: Adams
Defensive player of the year: Martinez
Rookie of the year: Jones
Most improved player of the year: Martinez
Most disappointing player of the year: Bennett

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP- Aaron

OPOY-Adams/Bahktiari

DPOY- Martinez

Rookie- Slight edge to Williams

Most Improved- the bar wasn't set high for this guy from last year but Randall seems like an ok pick. Martinez is the smarter pick. Kenny Clark also improved.

Disappointing- I'll pick Bennett, but a lot of guys you could put as most disappointing. I'll also throw in Jordy, HaHa, Nick Perry, Montgomery, and even Kendricks/Rollins.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookie of the year I would say Kevin king. Both jonses and Williams were definitely in the conversation. But king showed me he has elite measurables and could match up against elite wrs respectably, as a rookie.
Randall could be the most improved.
Ofpoy Adams...
Defpoy Clark. I'm going to venture to say Martinez benefitted greatly by Clark tearing up the middle up front.

Darrin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. MVP? Adams
  2. Offensive Player of the year? Bahk
  3. Defensive Player of the year? Clark
  4. Rookie of the year? Vogel
  5. Most improved player of the year? Martinez
  6. Most disappointing player of the year? Bennett

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7. Most tolerable and understanding Packers fan of the 2017 season.
8. Least tolerable and understanding Packers fan of the 2017 season.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP - Rodgers. He proved his value by exposing this team/coaching as being completely incompetent without him on the field.

OPOTY - Williams. Without him the Packers would have been eliminated a few weeks ago.

DPOTY - Martinez. He was a factor in every game and would be the main reason for Capers keeping his job if that happens.

ROTY - Williams. See: OPOTY.

MOST IMPROVED: Adams (offense) and Martinez (defense). They kept this team in the playoff hunt and neither had a "bad" game.

MOST DISAPPOINTING - Nelson (offense) and Daniels (defense). Neither showed up at all this year especially when they were most needed to be leaders on their side of the ball.

BEST COACH - Ron Zook. For the first time in years, special teams wasn't atrocious; it was actually quite good most games.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP- I don't think there's any question that Rodgers is our most valuable.

OPOY- Adams. Best offensive player on the team not named Bakhtiari who was my strong second/first nod holding down the left side on a line that was in so much flux all year and they just kept being good enough or better when they easily shouldn't have been. Adams came up big in some big games and if he doesn't get hurt in Carolina, who knows how that game turns out. Rather be throwing the ball to him late than Allison.

DPOY- Clark, It all starts up front and for much of the year he was a beast inside. and if his job wasn't to take on blockers so much, he'd have his name called a lot more often.

Rookie- Williams. Most consistent and steady performer when given his opportunity. Steady in blocking for pass protection and steady in the face of some pretty good defensive fronts running the ball.

Most Improved- Randall, slightly nudging out Martinez and Clark. Solid in pass coverage, pretty good in run support and the only reason he wasn't getting more press is because of the overall breakdowns by the rest of the defense and people's dug in opinions of him last year.

Disappointing- I'd say Bennett, but he's such a turd, I don't even want to bestow an award of any sort from this team upon him. Not even this one. That's how little I think of this guy. So I'm going to have to give it to Ha Ha. Always seeming a step late or with his head down a bit too much whiffing in every game. Watching plays happen in front of him instead of making them. Though I remember a game later in the year, I think the Ravens game, where he actually turned and ran with a receiver perfectly down the field, turned and intercepted the pass. and I'm thinking, this is what he should be doing weekly. Enough of the plays that are air mailed to him, this was making a play. Thought it was great, and then it was right back to the same old same old the rest of the year. That non play making ability against the Panthers in the back of the endzone sealed this award for him from me. Kendricks was my runner up. I know it was his first year in the system, but he's a vet and has more talent than he showed. I guess it goes to show, just because you sign seasoned vets, it doesn't mean **** unless they perform. TE looked to be a position group that was as good as any in the league to start the season, I can't think of a time when the group performed at such a low level.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • MVP? Carson Wentz (Wentz should get it, plus I'm sick of Brady, plus his numbers are not elite)
  • Offensive Player of the year? Todd Gurley (scrimmage yards, total TD's, second coming of Charger's LT)
  • Defensive Player of the year? (Cameron Jordan? Aaron Donald? Chandler Jones? Calais Campbell?)
  • Rookies of the year? Alvin Kamara (he will be feared next year) and Marshon Lattimore (young elite)
  • Most improved player of the year? Jared Goff (what a difference...a coach that cares...can make)
  • Most disappointing player of the year? Martellus Bennett (lost respect for the man)
  • Coach of the Year? Sean McVay (respect)
  • Coordinator of the Year? Frank ***** (backup QBs make the best coaches)
  • Executive of the Year? Howie Roseman (making moves)
  • Comeback Player of the Year? Todd Gurley (what a difference...a coach that doesn't care (Jeff Fisher)...makes)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeez, all those AR for MVP is just cringeworthy!

1. MVP? Davante Adams
  2. Offensive Player of the year? Jamaal Williams (or Aaron Jones)
  3. Defensive Player of the year? Blake Martinez or Kenny Clark
  4. Rookie of the year? Jamaal Williams (or Aaron Jones)
  5. Most improved player of the year? Blake Martinez
  6. Most disappointing player of the year? Ha Ha Clinton Dix
I refuse to remember that Bennett was ever a Packer and would not put him in any of my lists.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Jeez, all those AR for MVP is just cringeworthy!
The team was 4-1 and were a legitimate Super Bowl contender with a healthy Aaron Rodgers and 3-8 without a healthy Aaron Rodgers.

Not sure what's cringeworthy about acknowledging that Aaron Rodgers is most certainly the Packers Most Valuable Player.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7. Most tolerable and understanding Packers fan of the 2017 season.
8. Least tolerable and understanding Packers fan of the 2017 season.

I'd like to nominate myself for #8. :) Not only have the name, but I haven't been tolerant of anybody in the NFL, including my own guys, since they evolved into multi-millionaires playing for billionaires.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team was 4-1 and were a legitimate Super Bowl contender with a healthy Aaron Rodgers and 3-8 without a healthy Aaron Rodgers.

Not sure what's cringeworthy about acknowledging that Aaron Rodgers is most certainly the Packers Most Valuable Player.

Not for this season....not even close. Jamaal Williams has contributed more than AR12 this season. It's just an insult to rest of the team to not recognize their efforts and just hand over awards to a players who has missed most of the season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with the league honor, and as it is in other sports, what's the definition of MVP How did the Pack do without AR? How did they do without _______? Obviously, sitting out 1/2 the season means AR didn't contribute as much overall as some, but was he the most valuable?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with the league honor, and as it is in other sports, what's the definition of MVP How did the Pack do without AR? How did they do without _______? Obviously, sitting out 1/2 the season means AR didn't contribute as much overall as some, but was he the most valuable?

It's as simple as who contributed the most to the team this season. And for that you need to have played at least majority of the season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not for this season....not even close. Jamaal Williams has contributed more than AR12 this season. It's just an insult to rest of the team to not recognize their efforts and just hand over awards to a players who has missed most of the season.

What did Jamaal Williams contribute to making the Packers successful? I guess when I look at an MVP candidate I look at who is the player that was the most important player to a team's success. The Packers were 4-1 with a healthy AR. Once he was injured, there was not 1 player that really stood out in my mind as a "we have to have him to win." Adams might be a runner up, but even with him, the team lost.

Rodgers may not have played in many games, but his value to the team in the 6 games he played was evident and the loss of his services further proved just how valuable he is to this team.

I guess maybe we should ask the Cleveland Browns what they do every year for their team MVP?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's as simple as who contributed the most to the team this season. And for that you need to have played at least majority of the season.

So you name Williams as MVP? Williams didn't have any significant carries until 11/12 against the Bears......half way into the season.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers may not have played in many games, but his value to the team in the 6 games he played was evident and the loss of his services further proved just how valuable he is to this team.

Um, that's still Aaron Rodgers.

MVP is recognition of actual on field contributions for the said season. Simply put best performance across the season. Not a franchise or career award.

And Rodgers was not really performing to his own lofty standards in this season. He had a passer rating of 86.5 vs Seahawks, 90.7 vs Falcons, 102.6 vs Bengals and had 1 INT in each of the games. Ignoring the lowly Bears and not fully recovered Panthers games....his best performance was the game vs Cowboys (122.9). Even if you just count games he has featured in, it certainly is not MVP grade.

So you name Williams as MVP? Williams didn't have any significant carries until 11/12 against the Bears......half way into the season.

I named Davante as MVP. The only WR who managed to perform decently with and without AR and probably most important offensive player this season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
MVP is recognition of actual on field contributions for the said season. Simply put best performance across the season. Not a franchise or career award.

And Rodgers was not really performing to his own lofty standards in this season. He had a passer rating of 86.5 vs Seahawks, 90.7 vs Falcons, 102.6 vs Bengals and had 1 INT in each of the games. Ignoring the lowly Bears and not fully recovered Panthers games....his best performance was the game vs Cowboys (122.9). Even if you just count games he has featured in, it certainly is not MVP grade.

I named Davante as MVP. The only WR who managed to perform decently with and without AR and probably most important offensive player this season.
"MVP" grade is wins and losses. 4-1 v.s. 3-8. That's all you need to know.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

My apologies, you mentioned Williams as being more valuable than Rodgers. I didn't see your other post. I can see an argument made for Adams as offensive player of the year, but since it's a subjective thing, I will agree to disagree with you on who was the MVP for the Packers in 2018, Rodgers or Adams.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was laying in bed last night thinking to myself......with one game left in a very forgettable season, if awards HAD to be handed out, who would they go to?
  1. MVP? Aaron Rodgers
  2. Offensive Player of the year? Devante Adams
  3. Defensive Player of the year? Blake Martinez
  4. Rookie of the year? Aaron Jones or Jamaal Williarms
  5. Most improved player of the year? Blake Martinez
  6. Most disappointing player of the year? Martellus Bennett

Can we add Most Surprising Player as the opposite of #6?

Staff online

Members online