Yeah, like I'm letting that one slide...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't check the forum that often anymore (work,hookers,etc) but I just looked in the recently locked Favre's Last Throw thread and seen this...
How would you (or Brett know) where they're GONNA BE before they make their cuts? He had a defender collapsing in on him on the left side of the line....He had to make the decision while everyone was covered...It was a bad throw, period!

eh...you got nothin!

Yes, Fuzzy. You got me. How would Favre ever know where his receivers would be going. If only there were specific ROUTES they would run, and the QB would know it. If only they would make a bunch of different routes and call them PLAYS, and put them in some type of PLAYBOOK, and everyone would know where to go.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He had a defender collapsing in on him on the left side of the line....He had to make the decision while everyone was covered...

It's been stated and looked at that NO, not EVERYONE was covered, Mr. Revisionist history. He had some underneath options. And if he WAS pressured, the long out pattern(durr, how did he know he was gonna run the out pattern?!) is an even WORSE decision.

eh...you got nothin!

You got me.

With that said, no it's not just Favre's fault we lost. I've said that in just about every post since the loss. There's many culprits, but I could NOT let that type of...intelligent post go without getting my response in.

You don't throw where they are, you throw where they're gonna be.

Good day, sir!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett thought he was going to be open. He threw the ball to the spot where he thought Driver was going to be. Driver made his plays ALL DAY.

Driver made the cut, defender made the cut, ball was in the air, defender stepped in front.

Driver was the first read. To Brett(the only one that matters), he thought Driver was going to be open on the play. He let the ball go. whether any other receiver was open or otherwise didn't matter because he wasn't checking down, his primary receiver looked like he would be open on the play... REST is history.

Reaction score
Looking at that pic, I'm just baffled at how Brett couldn't see Grant coming out uncovered.

I mean you couldn't ask for anything better than to have the ball in the hands of a guy that constantly made plays this year, and have that guy do his thing in open space.

Tom Cruise is fair in his criticism, IMO. A lot of reporters mention how it seemed as if Favre locked on to one target in the second half, his first read. He's knows better than to do that.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Fuzznuts wrote:
Wow...two little Trom clones that know even less, and have to resort to childish name calling and insults...!

What I was saying...(and I'll speak slowly so you can follow along), is that FAVRe doesn't know where the D-E-F-E-N-D-E-R is going to be....as far as he knows, they are going to be sticking to the receivers like glue, like they had been the WHOLE GAME. Get it. This isn't Madden, so maybe you don't understand real football.

Also, when the defenders see the ball in the air, the LET UP on their coverage in case they have to go and make a TACKLE (a tackle is when the defender knocks the guy with the ball to the ground.)

I know this is complex. But try to follow along.....

Or better yet, get a book on football 101 and try not to be so snotty Jr....it's embarrassing to the grownups around here.

Yeah, I think Fuzznuts tried to say in the other thread that he was talking about Brett shouldn't have any idea where the DEFENDERS were going to be . . . . not the receivers.

EVEN IF that was what he was talking about . . I stand by my original statement: "Are you serious????!!" Are you trying to say that Brett is not capable of reading coverages and / or having ANY clue where and how defenders will react to certain things?? If that's what you were trying to say, which is seems like it was, then I'm still amazed by your assumptions. It seems like if anyone is knocking on Brett's ability, it's you with statements like that.

If Brett Favre has no clue how defenders and certain formations will react . . well then, we need a new quarterback.

HOWEVER, I know that he CAN do so, which is why it blows me away that you thought that he can't. If you know what defenders will do when the ball is in the air and such, why doesn't Favre?

Geeeez!!

=)

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts wrote:
Wow...two little Trom clones that know even less, and have to resort to childish name calling and insults...!

What I was saying...(and I'll speak slowly so you can follow along), is that FAVRe doesn't know where the D-E-F-E-N-D-E-R is going to be....as far as he knows, they are going to be sticking to the receivers like glue, like they had been the WHOLE GAME. Get it. This isn't Madden, so maybe you don't understand real football.

Also, when the defenders see the ball in the air, the LET UP on their coverage in case they have to go and make a TACKLE (a tackle is when the defender knocks the guy with the ball to the ground.)

I know this is complex. But try to follow along.....

Or better yet, get a book on football 101 and try not to be so snotty Jr....it's embarrassing to the grownups around here.

Yeah, I think Fuzznuts tried to say in the other thread that he was talking about Brett shouldn't have any idea where the DEFENDERS were going to be . . . . not the receivers.

EVEN IF that was what he was talking about . . I stand by my original statement: "Are you serious????!!" Are you trying to say that Brett is not capable of reading coverages and / or having ANY clue where and how defenders will react to certain things?? If that's what you were trying to say, which is seems like it was, then I'm still amazed by your assumptions. It seems like if anyone is knocking on Brett's ability, it's you with statements like that.

If Brett Favre has no clue how defenders and certain formations will react . . well then, we need a new quarterback.

HOWEVER, I know that he CAN do so, which is why it blows me away that you thought that he can't. If you know what defenders will do when the ball is in the air and such, why doesn't Favre?

Geeeez!!

=)

Yeah he failed all around. But this isn't about Fuzzy and his 'funny' posts(I know I laugh).

This is about the last throw. What bugs me the most about this is the fact that I can't say "He's a young player" or "He doesn't have much playoff experience" or "He'll learn from that"

He's almost 40. If he hasn't learned that locking on = bad, then...he never will. And yeah yeah yeah, "That's what makes Brett Brett. You take the good and the bad."

Yup.

But what this REALLY means is that this talented group of players and coaches has to improve even more if they want to win with Favre. They have to run better, catch better(through defenders? Cuz that's where he's gonna throw it sometimes.) and shut teams the hell out on defense to win. I'm just disappointed is all. Everyone fell apart during that game and I expected the veterans to keep us in the game, but they didn't(I'm looking at you, Al Harris).

And now that I wrote it, I REALLY want to see a guy catch a ball THROUGH a defender. It would be like kung pow.

Reaction score
But what this REALLY means is that this talented group of players and coaches has to improve even more if they want to win with Favre. They have to run better, catch better(through defenders? Cuz that's where he's gonna throw it sometimes.) and shut teams the hell out on defense to win. I'm just disappointed is all. Everyone fell apart during that game and I expected the veterans to keep us in the game, but they didn't(I'm looking at you, Al Harris).

Well said Trom Cruise.

Watch this part of your post get ignored by a certain someone...

DoddPower

Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Well said Trom Cruise.

Watch this part of your post get ignored by a certain someone...

Yeah, the only reason I keep posting about this topic is because I just really expected just a LITTLE bit more. By no means did I expect Favre to be god, but I also didn't expect him to be a significant factor in losing the game. Thank god his first interception flew right back into the hands of Tauscher. I haven't watched the game in awhile, but from what I remember, that was a terrible throw.

I hate to sound like i'm raggin' on the dude, but he has just set the bar so high. If there's one thing I expect from having a veteran quarterback, it's to take care of the football.

I still have confidence in him and I hope he comes back. However, i'm not sure I do have confidence left in him when the game is in his hands and it's super cold. It's fairly easy to play well when you're running game produces over 230 yards. But that's not always going to be the case, especially in playoff games, and that's no excuse for a superstar. In both of the really cold weather games this year, it just seem to take his fire out of his game. Maybe he just needs to train a little bit more in the conditions as he grows older . . if he will. Do some jumping jacks on the sideline. Run in place, jump around a bit . . something. Just don't sit there in your jacket until the last possible second before going back on the field. Get your team and crowd pumped up . . they're all in the weather too.

Here's to the best of luck for Favre . . . . or Rodger's!!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was another photo in the locked thread.

Go back and look at it. It was a photo taken seconds before the above photo was taken. It is a photo that shows Grant two seconds before the above photo.

In that Photo Grant is bursting though a massive hole that the "O" line opened.

I do not remember the formation they were in on the play, but Grant had a hole to run through the size of the Panama Canal.

I wish Grant had the ball in his hands by shuttle pass or hand off when he hit that hole. If he did the Packers would be in Arizonal this week.

NOTE TO TROM: I can understand your frustration. But the original thread was locked for a reason.

PLEASE DO NOT BEAT A DEAD HORSE.

Perhaps it was a mercy lock, so that a forum member did not make a complete fool out of himself by trying to continue to get out of a post that was called out by so many people.

Perhaps it was kind of like stopping a beating in a M.M.A. match when someone should not be in the ring.

R.P.

Toddy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Go back and look at it. It was a photo taken seconds before the above photo was taken. It is a photo that shows Grant two seconds before the above photo.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

"Mercy lock RP by someone who was getting a beat down?"

I think not.

I thought that you had more sense than the "Madden Nation" crowd, and the "Fantasy Football" guys, rather than the real football kind but....

I guess not.

Once again, if you look at Toddy's first picture...everyone is COVERED. And Grant wasn't yet breaking open, it looks like he was still in blocking...

NO QB...(and I mean no one)...not Tom Brady...not Peyton Manning...is going to know how the defender is going to be COVERING the receiver BEFORE the receiver makes his break!

Do you think that QB's can read minds too, Dodd...or see the future? I know you think Favre has to be superman without any help from his teammates, but no football player I know of can do such a thing...Maybe in Madden they can do that, I don't know....but this is not fantasy football, it's the real thing, and it's a little different.

It's easy to make a judgement after the fact, but what if he threw it to Jennings and that DB jumped the route?

Was Favre throwing to a spot where he thought the receiver was going to be..?.YES. Did the throw make it to that spot? NO...it was a tough "out pattern" throw on a cold and windy night. A difficult throw.

Favre had already made his decision and commitment to throw to Driver. Would it have been better if he had seen Grant breaking open and hit him.?..YES. But things happen pretty fast out there, and you have to live with your decisions once you make them.

On a warmer night with less wind, Favre makes that throw every time. He's already admitted that it was a bad throw, but it wasn't a bad decision.

I suggest that you lock this thread AGAIN administrators because the only reason that I can see that it was opened up again, against the rules is to continue to bash Favre like this guy is.....

meh

..you still got nothin'...

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole team played terrible, lets beat the whole team.

Lets give this young team credit where credit is due, we have come a very far way and had a great season doesnt this matter?

Lets move on.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beating a dead horse? How? Move on?

Yes, when bad things happen, lets just pretend they didn't happen. I like that.

And why is discussing this 'beating a dead horse?' So when free agency picks up and people start complaining about lack of activity, after a couple days of it, I can start posting that stupid 'dead horse' picture? Ok then.

DoddPower

Reaction score
What good does it do to dwell on things we cant change? We now look to the future.

Well, for me, it's not really dwelling at all. Just analyzing and discussing. It's a good time burner when I'm at work and in between classes. It's not like there are a ton of other things to discuss at the moment, and it's not like the game was THAT long ago. There will be PLENTY of "dead horses" being beat during the next three months I'm sure.

I have pretty much moved on from the throw, the only thing that still boggles me is the fact that fuzznuts doesn't think Favre should be able to read and respond to different coverages. As long as he has played, he should have an idea about how certain defensive formations will react. ALL quarterbacks in the NFL do this and if not they wouldn't be playing in the NFL. I know Favre is great at this, we've seen it time and time again this year, especially with him changing the play at the line. If the Giants D really boggled his mind that much . . well . . that's a different discussion. Expecting this is FAR from expecting him to be a "superman."

That's like a janitor expecting special praise for sweeping the floor. It's their job and it's whats expected of them. They get no special praise just for doing what they're being paid to do.

=)

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That makes no sense.

What is a QB supposed to do when everyone's covered?

He's supposed to know, somehow, which guy is gonna be uncovered before they make their cut?

How is he supposed to know that....by telepathy?
:lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree Brett was going to throw where DRIVER was going to be, but the throw didnt make it to that spot..

Fuzzy, your wrong with this [quote="fuzznuts]Once again, if you look at Toddy's first picture...everyone is COVERED. And Grant wasn't yet breaking open, it looks like he was still in blocking...[/quote]

Grant WAS NOT blocking anyone, he is running head up, arms swinging, Hall is on his left blocking someone..

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Brett was going to throw where DRIVER was going to be, but the throw didnt make it to that spot..

Fuzzy, your wrong with this [quote="fuzznuts]Once again, if you look at Toddy's first picture...everyone is COVERED. And Grant wasn't yet breaking open, it looks like he was still in blocking...

Grant WAS NOT blocking anyone, he is running head up, arms swinging, Hall is on his left blocking someone..[/quote]

LT,
Grant wasn't looking either when Favre's mind was made up and he was going through with his motion.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone fell apart during that game and I expected the veterans to keep us in the game, but they didn't(I'm looking at you, Al Harris).

I'm not going to get into the Favre thing because I really feel like it's beating a dead horse, but I wanted to come to Harris' defense here.

I'm sure you've played at least sandlot football. If you're covering someone and the QB puts the ball exactly where only the WR catches it or it goes incomplete, pretty much all you can do is tackle the WR as soon as he catches it.

That's how Eli was all day. Their chemistry was perfect. He was putting the ball right over the shoulder that they had agreed upon. Pretty much all Harris could do in that situation is tackle him (or draw a PI penalty).

So instead of blaming Harris, I'd give credit to Eli and the receiver.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Fuzzy, your wrong with this [quote="fuzznuts]Once again, if you look at Toddy's first picture...everyone is COVERED. And Grant wasn't yet breaking open, it looks like he was still in blocking...

Grant WAS NOT blocking anyone, he is running head up, arms swinging, Hall is on his left blocking someone..

LT,
Grant wasn't looking either when Favre's mind was made up and he was going through with his motion.[/quote]

I understand that, but to say he was still blocking was wrong..Pic clearly shows he is not blocking anyone

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Grant WAS NOT blocking anyone, he is running head up, arms swinging, Hall is on his left blocking someone..[/quote]

First of all your right. Grant was wide open the entire play. Favre just had to be the hero and try and throw the impossible pass that never ever looked like a good option or even a remotely open option.

but you wrote it wrong longtime. you said "Fuzzy, your wrong with this."
thats redundant. the correct packerforum english would be just "Fuzzy" because Fuzzy means: wrong, or the act of being consistently and relentlessly wrong. so you should just say Fuzzy youre fuzzy.

Favre screwed up. thats all we wanna hear. he leads every QB ever in the "screw up" column. He is still the greatest QB ever to play ever. But he screws up occasionally its ok to admit it. He screwed up on the last play, which eventually cost us the game. Theoretically the TEAM shouldnt have been in that place to begin with. But regardless the team was in that situation and Favre screwed up.

Blind Homerism isnt gonna win us a Super Bowl i know that.

Members online

Latest posts