• Dallas Renegades

• Houston Roughnecks

• Los Angeles Wildcats

• New York Guardians

• St. Louis BattleHawks

• Seattle Dragons

• Tampa Bay Vipers

• Washington Defenders

Do those names sound like minor league football names or what? If Vince McMahon runs the XFL anything like he does the WWE lately, he's going to have problems. Tampa Bay Vipers sound they're his tribute to Randy Orton.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t get why, other than St. Louis, all are large market NFL team cities. I don’t see Cowboy fans saying “ Let’s go watch minor league football”. Duluth, El Paso, Portland, Colorado Springs, Des Moines, etc. are cities that may have more of an appetite for minor league football in my opinion.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

XFL has a decent chance at some real success. I'm going to watch. I've picked STL as my team. This is a very different situation than the last time the XFL took the field. They have very solid financial backing. They have a strong team in place to run the league this time around. They've scrapped the novelty WWE crossover crap they did last time. They have realistic expectations and a 10 year plan in place to build and grow the league. Oh, and free lap dances in the luxury boxes.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have realistic expectations and a 10 year plan in place to build and grow the league.
Usually these spring football leagues are dead long before 10 years. I thought they gave up on it too easily last time though. I don't know how much I am going to watch, but I expect to at least loosely follow it.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I see they've released the names of the eight XFL teams. Here they are:

• Dallas Renegades

• Houston Roughnecks

• Los Angeles Wildcats

• New York Guardians

• St. Louis BattleHawks

• Seattle Dragons

• Tampa Bay Vipers

• Washington Defenders

Do those names sound like minor league football names or what? If Vince McMahon runs the XFL anything like he does the WWE lately, he's going to have problems. Tampa Bay Vipers sound they're his tribute to Randy Orton.
whaaat no Chicago or San Diego teams, what an insult

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
unless someone posts on here, I'll likely not even know they played a game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
At least a couple of my boys and I are going to follow the D.C. team because it is the closest to us. But I won't be able to see the first weekend because I'll be up in the mountains for "woods therapy." ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

At least a couple of my boys and I are going to follow the D.C. team because it is the closest to us. But I won't be able to see the first weekend because I'll be up in the mountains for "woods therapy." ;)

Watch out for those banjo playing hillbillies mate.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I am actually hyped for this. I hope this actually finishes the season unlike the AAF.

Go Vipers.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go Vipers.
So did anyone watch any XFL this weekend? What did you think?

There are only eight teams, I saw six of them this weekend. I thought the football was better than I expected, and some of the rules are interesting. I like the way they do kickoffs. I wasn't really watching the games very closely though, I just had them on the TV. Sometimes I wasn't even in the house.

As for the Vipers, I liked their lime green helmets. But they got beat like the Packers playing in Frisco. Well, not that bad, but close.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flipping thru today, there was football on fox. I did catch the 2nd half kick off, caught me by surprise LOL. I'm like why are they all way up there, and he kicked it didn't he? why aren't they running? Then it all came back to me :)

It's an interesting concept, haven't really thought all the scenarios thru, but on the surface seems to be something they could toy with in the big boy league.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an interesting concept, haven't really thought all the scenarios thru, but on the surface seems to be something they could toy with in the big boy league.
Beats watching eight touchbacks a game.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the kickoff and punt rules. I like the rules on timeouts and the clock. I like fewer commercials and shorter half time. I like the transparency on reviews in the booth. Basically I like all the changes except the extra point format. No change necessary there.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically I like all the changes except the extra point format.
Yeah, I'm not fond of the extra point changes either. Or that they got rid of field goals. I guess the extra point format is supposed to take the place of field goals (because you can score three points).

The punting change is fine except I don't like that they got rid of the coffin corner. Probably the old school in me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not fond of the extra point changes either. Or that they got rid of field goals. I guess the extra point format is supposed to take the place of field goals (because you can score three points).

The punting change is fine except I don't like that they got rid of the coffin corner. Probably the old school in me.
I'd agree, football isn't broken, yet. No reason to go tinkering with everything.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

There are still FG's. I thought the games were fairly entertaining.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are still FG's. I thought the games were fairly entertaining.
I guess you're right, they had only been considering getting rid of the field goals. I thought they had pulled the trigger, but I was mistaken. Well... good.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How often do you see coffin corner punts these days anyway?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed on the kickoffs, I think i mentioned it earlier. Made that comment concerning maybe changing extra points and some punting changes.

Members online

Latest posts