WR Trade ?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'd be amazed how easy it is to defend if the player is a bad of a route runner. They end up tipping the route to the DB and even when they aren't then they are making their breaks at the wrong point which throws off a QB and the rest of the offense.

Hell we have plenty of guys that can do that. People need to stop with the notion that just because a guy has good size and can run that it means there has to be a way for them to be able to contribute.
And Janis, while fast, is a long way from being a good route runner. It took Nelson a few years to develop such talent, and Janis is no Jordy. He is a stud on STs though, gotta give him that.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Janis, while fast, is a long way from being a good route runner. It took Nelson a few years to develop such talent, and Janis is no Jordy. He is a stud on STs though, gotta give him that.

He has the gifts to *be* a special teams ace. So far, he's been a bit of a derp there, tbh :D

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has basically admitted that the lack of a deep threat is allowing opposing defenses to scheme against the run and the short passing game. That is how I understood it and correct me if I'm wrong. Getting Davante Adams back will help, primarily with the middle passing game since Adams is a big, strong receiver who can go over the smaller DBs and outmuscle them. But turning Adams into a cure-all, which sometimes is the way that Rodgers and co. make it sound, is IMO wishful thinking.

So to me what it adds up to is that the lack of a deep threat is a problem for this offense. Rodgers held onto the ball a lot against St. Louis because guys weren't open and even when he did hold onto it in the hopes of extending the play and making into one of those "big" plays, they still didn't get open often times.

The only true speed receiver the Packers have is apparently Janis, but he's just not ready if he ever will be. Other than that, the Packers do not have a burner, a guy who can get behind the secondary. Maybe Adams to an extent, but how much can he be relied upon to do that?

So I guess I'd say, if there is a receiver on the trading block and his price tag either in terms of salary or picks is not that high, then I wonder if the Packers shouldn't seriously consider pulling the trigger.

Now in the long run, it would be better not to do anything this season, to wait for Jordy to come back next year and spend an early draft pick on a WR who fits that bill, if there is one. That would be the smart thing to do, but if it's a question of winning the SB this year, and one of the main things standing in the way are defenses that feel safe in ignoring the deep ball and cheating up against the run and the short passing game. . . well you only get so many chances to win a SB.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to add, Davante Adams seems to me like a younger version of James Jones. Big, strong, good hands, probably a bit faster than Jones, but I couldn't honestly say how good a route runner he is. That's something Jones seems to do well.

But Adams isn't going to run by the coverage very often.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has basically admitted that the lack of a deep threat is allowing opposing defenses to scheme against the run and the short passing game. That is how I understood it and correct me if I'm wrong. Getting Davante Adams back will help, primarily with the middle passing game since Adams is a big, strong receiver who can go over the smaller DBs and outmuscle them. But turning Adams into a cure-all, which sometimes is the way that Rodgers and co. make it sound, is IMO wishful thinking.

So to me what it adds up to is that the lack of a deep threat is a problem for this offense. Rodgers held onto the ball a lot against St. Louis because guys weren't open and even when he did hold onto it in the hopes of extending the play and making into one of those "big" plays, they still didn't get open often times.

The only true speed receiver the Packers have is apparently Janis, but he's just not ready if he ever will be. Other than that, the Packers do not have a burner, a guy who can get behind the secondary. Maybe Adams to an extent, but how much can he be relied upon to do that?

So I guess I'd say, if there is a receiver on the trading block and his price tag either in terms of salary or picks is not that high, then I wonder if the Packers shouldn't seriously consider pulling the trigger.

Now in the long run, it would be better not to do anything this season, to wait for Jordy to come back next year and spend an early draft pick on a WR who fits that bill, if there is one. That would be the smart thing to do, but if it's a question of winning the SB this year, and one of the main things standing in the way are defenses that feel safe in ignoring the deep ball and cheating up against the run and the short passing game. . . well you only get so many chances to win a SB.
It's hard to argue what you have outlined, and very convincingly BTW. Baseball teams do this late in the summer to add a missing piece.

And if the Packers get fourth or fifth round picks for Williams and House, they could trade a 4th or 5th rounder this year.

And you're right, the time is now, not next year, to make a run. Following your logic, I'd prefer they trade picks for a deep threat they can keep for a few years, and save the first and second round picks next year for an ILB.

We'll see. Certainly Rodgers having to hold the ball longer increases pressures, hits, and sacks. One injury to Rodgers and this O becomes pedestrian. You make a very persuasive argument to do something now.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for adding talent if the cost is not prohibitive. Proven players with those criteria (cheap speed) are usually not available at the snap of the fingers. Whatever is bothering this offense, if in fact anything is, I don't think signing just any old burner will be much help. It has got to be a guy with something more than speed (we got a guy with speed) and those guys do not usually come cheap. People will point to players on other teams and say "we should trade for him" as if our desires are the only ones that matter. You have to remember that the other team has to want to trade that player away. I think getting Adams back and Cobb back 100% healthy (hopefully that's possible) after the bye will help a lot. It may not give us that deep burner but it will give us more reliability to be able to spread the ball around. I also think having a 100% healthy Lacy will help a heck of a lot as well. I just don't think its necessary to panic and start trading away the future for a fix that may not be needed. Like I said, if a decent player suddenly became available and the price was not to high I wouldn't mind seeing it happen but I'm not going to sit around crying that we don't have a true burner and Ted is doing nothing to address the situation.

Members online