WR Trade ?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why they don't have Janis run one of those deep posts all the way across they field off of play action seems like even if his route running isn't very good he should be able to do that

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why they don't have Janis run one of those deep posts all the way across they field off of play action seems like even if his route running isn't very good he should be able to do that

You'd be amazed how easy it is to defend if the player is a bad of a route runner. They end up tipping the route to the DB and even when they aren't then they are making their breaks at the wrong point which throws off a QB and the rest of the offense.

Hell we have plenty of guys that can do that. People need to stop with the notion that just because a guy has good size and can run that it means there has to be a way for them to be able to contribute.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't seen any of the other wr run that route. Only Nelson I don't think any of the rest are fast enough. It's essentially a race diagonally across the field which someone who is faster than most should theoretically win especially with the aid of play action gaining them a step. Or maybe they are fast enough but for whatever reason we haven't run that play once this year and I feel like it was a go to play in the past. The play action shot play to Nelson.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't seen any of the other wr run that route. Only Nelson I don't think any of the rest are fast enough. It's essentially a race diagonally across the field which someone who is faster than most should theoretically win especially with the aid of play action gaining them a step. Or maybe they are fast enough but for whatever reason we haven't run that play once this year and I feel like it was a go to play in the past. The play action shot play to Nelson.

Just because they haven't ran it with success doesn't mean they haven't run it. And to say your oversimplifing a deep post as a race across the field is an understatement. The same logic would hold for a drag route. Why can't Janis run those.

Once again just cause a guys fast doesn't mean he can run routes. And in terms of guys on the roster not having enough speed Jennings never had great speed, good yes but not great, but he was our best deep threat for years simply because he could run routes

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to believe he could run a drag route, he ran one for a td against the Rams in his first pre season. I haven't watched ever game but I haven't seen them run it at all success full or not. If they have Rodgers didn't throw it deep down the field as he did with Nelson in the past. It's not oversimplified you run a certain number of yards straight up the field then you cut diagonally across the field certainly not rocket science I don't understand how one could be incapable of it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to believe he could run a drag route, he ran one for a td against the Rams in his first pre season. I haven't watched ever game but I haven't seen them run it at all success full or not. If they have Rodgers didn't throw it deep down the field as he did with Nelson in the past. It's not oversimplified you run a certain number of yards straight up the field then you cut diagonally across the field certainly not rocket science I don't understand how one could be incapable of it.

By that logic every route should be easy to run and yes you are over simplifing it. Does he get off the line cleanly? Can he stop a DB from rederecting him? Can he make a crisp break? Does he tip the route to the CB before he makes said break? Can he adjust his route depending on what coverage the D is playing?

All those things are things that get factored into a route and I never even mentioned a thing about him catching the ball in traffic or with a DB in his hip pocket.

And just cause a guy ran something in the preseason once is hardly an indicator of a guys a ability to do it in the regular season.

Once again. Just cause a guy has good size and can run it doesn't mean he's capable of contributing.

Also. Just because they haven't completed it down the field doesn't mean any of the WRs didn't run down the field. It means they weren't open. It's very possible Jordy was just better at getting open down field then our other guys? Just a hunch.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT wouldn't trade for a receiver unless either Jones or Cobb when down for the rest of the season. Even then its still a stretch. GB would likely make due for the rest of the season unless Janis or Abby don't step up.

The only scenario I see TT picking up a receiver would be the injury to Cobb or Jones late in the season and a decent receiver pops up on waivers that fits the system. If GB would have to put them on the IR then they could trade for someone that's up on waivers and still be able to use them in the postseason. Knowing TT, he will pick up some street free agent that was working in a grocery store, but sometimes those pickups work out big time!

D

Deleted member 6794

Knowing TT, he will pick up some street free agent that was working in a grocery store, but sometimes those pickups work out big time!

That may work at other positions but with receivers having to earn Rodgers trust before even getting any snaps I don't see that happening.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or the Packers just need to stay put and wait for Adams to get healthy. TT is not one to over react after two lackluster games. Rodgers said they need a deep threat and that the actually have the guy on the roster he is just hurt. Rodgers actually went out of his way to say Adams is a Pro Bowl talent. A receiving core of Cobb Jones Adams Montgomery and Rodgers at TE should be enough with a solid running game.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone but the front office seems to be wanting to make trades, lol

We'll be fine either way.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is coming back soon, Montgomery has shown nice upside, Jones has been perfect as a filler for this year, R. Rodgers has been a solid contributor, and Cobb has been banged up with a bye week soon to rest up. So far with some injuries, issues, Lacy's struggles and facing a few pretty decent defenses we're still a top 5 scoring offense so far.

A couple down weeks on offense doesn't necessitate a drastic trade for an expensive veteran WR who has never played a down with Rodgers.

Even at 5-0 I'm all about looking for ways to improve the team but this is unnecessary.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything give a 7th rounder for Vernon Davis as he would at least give the offense a dimension it currently lacks. That is assuming he still has the ability to stretch the seam and I'm not familiar enough with him to know if that is the case.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting video thanks. It seems like GB needs to do something at WR. I just don't see TT trading draft picks. But ya never know. TT may have a surprise for us. Certainly opposing Ds can load up underneath. Hurts the passing game and the run game. Janis is not the guy.
He's got two extra 4th rounders this year. I could see it happening.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is speculating that the Packers will receive two compensatory picks in the 4th
round for losing Tramon Williams and Davon House in free agency. The compensatory
picks aren't announced until after the season, but given the contracts they received
two 4th rounders or a 4th and a 5th appear to be reasonable.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is speculating that the Packers will receive two compensatory picks in the 4th
round for losing Tramon Williams and Davon House in free agency. The compensatory
picks aren't announced until after the season, but given the contracts they received
two 4th rounders or a 4th and a 5th appear to be reasonable.

Got it. Thanks.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of these rumored trades will ever materialize. Even if Thompson would be interested in Jackson and fine with giving up draft picks the Packers simply don't have the cap space to acquire him as he would count roughly $7 million against the team's cap by trading for him now.
That's a good point and I just don't see TT ever trading or otherwise parting with draft picks. Unless it's draft day itself and even then he usually trades for more picks. There have been some notable times when he traded up - I think he did that to get CMIII - but that's different than trading for a fast but aging WR who, to your point, would require a $7 mil cap hit that can't be done anyway.

I don't know that the lack of a deep threat is going to set this O back enough that it makes a difference. Double team Cobb, make em pay somewhere else. And what's wrong with mixing up passes to the slot and slants in with running plays? It takes more time off the clock and keeps the D rested. And with the D playing as well as they are, no need to make a trade that would seem like a panic move. There's no reason to panic. They're 5-0 and have played maybe the hardest part of their schedule.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is coming back soon, Montgomery has shown nice upside, Jones has been perfect as a filler for this year, R. Rodgers has been a solid contributor, and Cobb has been banged up with a bye week soon to rest up. So far with some injuries, issues, Lacy's struggles and facing a few pretty decent defenses we're still a top 5 scoring offense so far.

A couple down weeks on offense doesn't necessitate a drastic trade for an expensive veteran WR who has never played a down with Rodgers.

Even at 5-0 I'm all about looking for ways to improve the team but this is unnecessary.
Very well said. Reporters need to come up with something to get us riled up. This idea of trading for a deep threat doesn't hold up. And trading a pick means giving up years of productive time for a guy, if it were Jackson, who only has a year here anyway. No thanks.

Members online

Latest posts