WR Rushmore of Green Bay

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love when you get bored and let your mind wonder to the discussions we all hate that we love to have.

So...let's say you're tasked with the selection of the 4 greatest Wide Receivers for a statue to be placed outside Lambeau Field.....who you got?

For me I have 2 clear choices right off the bat:

Don Hutson - The father of the position and route trees used today. 99 touchdown receptions...let that soak in given the time he played. Ninety-Nine touchdowns. Holds the touchdown record and did all this with only 112 games ya'll - and in the 30's/40's!!! He also even has nearly 8,000 yards which is insane for the time period (4th place)

Sterling Sharpe - The dude was honestly going to threaten some of Hutsons' records and I personally think he instead of Driver would sit at the top of yards and receptions by quite a bit really.

#3 and #4 are tougher...but with the 3rd spot I gotta give the nod to:

Donald Driver - His story, his legacy, his longevity...the man just oozes everything the organization would want to be associated with. Record holder for the most receptions and yards.

4th is tough...to be honest I have to eliminate Adams as we have to do this as right now. If he sees another contract with the Packers and avoids injury, the man would be here if this discussion was in 5 years. It comes down for me between Lofton & Freeman. In the end I gotta give the nod to:

James Lofton - I mean while he doesn't lead in any of the major categories, he does sit second to driver in both yards and receptions. A man well worthy of the honor.

Others well worthy of consideration: Freeman, McGee, Nelson, Brooks

Last edited:

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You start carving now with the top three, and by the time you reach spot #4 Devante's full body of work will be known.

And he'll be up there.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You start carving now with the top three, and by the time you reach spot #4 Devante's full body of work will be known.

And he'll be up there.

Don't get me wrong he very well may play himself up into it, but a LOT left to his story to know for certain.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have guessed Driver led all time yards. yes, those four have the best stats. Adams and Nelson would be in my personal top four. I've been a fan for all the guys except Hudson was way before my time.

We have had our share of good ones!

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And stupid me thought this was going to be a thread about a potential new WR addition named Rushmore who happens to be a GB native. LOL.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have guessed Driver led all time yards. yes, those four have the best stats. Adams and Nelson would be in my personal top four. I've been a fan for all the guys except Hudson was way before my time.

In the scenario painted you gotta think historically and such. I mean arguably most gifted WRs of course Adams and Nelson are there...but Adams is honestly not proven enough to be there yet, another couple seasons cement him.

Someone wants to know a crazy stat about Lofton is that he freaking had a 18.2 yards per catch average. INSANE.....Adams for reference is less than 13, Nelson 14.3

Lofton was a freak, but he would be the one to come down for Adams in a few years if he keeps delivering

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta love when you get board and let your mind wonder to the discussions we all hate that we love to have.

So...let's say you're tasked with the selection of the 4 greatest Wide Receivers for a statue to be placed outside Lambeau Field.....who you got?

For me I have 2 clear choices right off the bat:

Don Hutson - The father of the position and route trees used today. 99 touchdown receptions...let that soak in given the time he played. Ninety-Nine touchdowns. Holds the touchdown record and did all this with only 112 games ya'll - and in the 30's/40's!!! He also even has nearly 8,000 yards which is insane for the time period (4th place)

Sterling Sharpe - The dude was honestly going to threaten some of Hutsons' records and I personally think he instead of Driver would sit at the top of yards and receptions by quite a bit really.

#3 and #4 are tougher...but with the 3rd spot I gotta give the nod to:

Donald Driver - His story, his legacy, his longevity...the man just oozes everything the organization would want to be associated with. Record holder for the most receptions and yards.

4th is tough...to be honest I have to eliminate Adams as we have to do this as right now. If he sees another contract with the Packers and avoids injury, the man would be here if this discussion was in 5 years. It comes down for me between Lofton & Freeman. In the end I gotta give the nod to:

James Lofton - I mean while he doesn't lead in any of the major categories, he does sit second to driver in both yards and receptions. A man well worthy of the honor.

Others well worthy of consideration: Freeman, McGee, Nelson, Brooks
I think Lofton was better than both Driver and Freeman. I think Boyd Dowler was better than McGee as well. I also think Nelson was better than Freeman. Just my opinions.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hudson, Sharp, Lofton and then whomever you like. Lofton was a stud, Sharp just a monster. Adams looking like he is ready to join that small group.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lofton was better than both Driver and Freeman. I think Boyd Dowler was better than McGee as well. I also think Nelson was better than Freeman. Just my opinions.

Boyd is well worth inclusion in the conversation for sure!! I tried hard to not let my love of Nelson make me over judge him. Same as I struggled to not kick Jennings because I dislike him.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Don Hutson - Defined the position
Boyd Dowler - How can you not have a Lombardi era WR on your short list?
James Lofton - Had a successful career after he left GB after 9 seasons and has a career receiving yardage of 14,000.
Sterling Sharpe - In 7 season he put up 8000+ yards. If his career had not been cut short at the age of 29 he could have had 3-5 years and had 12-14,000 yards when finished.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be honest, if we are talking about carving faces Mt Rushmore style then it's not just about stats. Lofton drops off of my list due to transgressions off of the field. Hutson and Sharpe for sure. It's hard to argue with Driver as everything about him was genuine class and heart. Freeman is up there with him but a notch below. That season he played with a cast on his broken forearm was remarkable. When was the last time you saw a skill player do that?

So with Huston, Sharpe, and Driver in my top three spots, I would go with Max McGee for the final spot. He is in 5th for career TDs and was a rock along with Dowler for Bart Starr. Davante Adams is certainly climbing the list fast with his skills & stats, along with showing the class and professionalism that exemplifies the type of player that belongs on a Packers WR Mount Rushmore.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff Janis must the first name on the list.

My list would be:

1. Don Hutson
2. Max McGee
3. Sterling Sharpe
4. James Lofton

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hutson and McGee, Dowler etc I only know from highlights unfortunately.

I can only go wit the players I’ve really watched. Sharpe and Lofton are easy 1-2.

After that probably Driver just because the years and the numbers were really good.

the 4th spot can be Adams in a few more years easy if he keeps it up. It would likely be Jennings has he stayed here a couple more years rather than running routes for Ponder. I liked Freeman but he’s not a carve his face in the mountain good receiver to me. Of course Jordy had high considerations and would be my 4th at this point.

but I would think at least one guy I didn’t get to watch live is deserving of at least 1 spot to bump him off.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I compare versus their contemporaries, mainly to dilute the rule and game changes.
1. Don Hutson
2. Bill Howton
3. Sterling Sharpe
4. James Lofton

Who was Bill Howton? Twice all Pro, twice led the league with over 1k yards (in 12 games), averaged about 100 yards per game for those two seasons, led league in scoring once. He did this on a 50's era team that made the gory years seem successful. Picture this year's Davante's numbers on a team like the Jags. And all in the days of 4 yards and a cloud of dust.

Driver is tough to leave off but he played with HOF QBs in an era of pass first and did it for a long time. That was how he got his numbers. He made top ten but never led the league. He was very good but not dominant. I can see Adams knocking Lofton off the list.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hutson, Sharpe and Lofton are pretty easily there. (Honestly if Sharpes career doesn't get cut short i think he and not Rice wouldve gone down as the best WR ever)

The 4 spot is tricky and really could get filled by 3-5 guys with good arguments for each

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly if Sharpes career doesn't get cut short i think he and not Rice wouldve gone down as the best WR ever

That is a tough hypothetical to run, but I have always said the same thing. He was far better than many even begin to remember.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more bit of appreciation for Driver: a track & field guy, 7th round out of Alcorn State (where?), and ends up with those stats.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of very good (especially wide outs) have been track and field stars. Now we seem to look for TEs on the basketball court. Dowler was a high hurdler.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Boyd is well worth inclusion in the conversation for sure!! I tried hard to not let my love of Nelson make me over judge him. Same as I struggled to not kick Jennings because I dislike him.
Jennings was better than Freeman IMO. He was real good but not top 4 for sure.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, if we are talking about carving faces Mt Rushmore style then it's not just about stats. Lofton drops off of my list due to transgressions off of the field. Hutson and Sharpe for sure. It's hard to argue with Driver as everything about him was genuine class and heart. Freeman is up there with him but a notch below. That season he played with a cast on his broken forearm was remarkable. When was the last time you saw a skill player do that?

So with Huston, Sharpe, and Driver in my top three spots, I would go with Max McGee for the final spot. He is in 5th for career TDs and was a rock along with Dowler for Bart Starr. Davante Adams is certainly climbing the list fast with his skills & stats, along with showing the class and professionalism that exemplifies the type of player that belongs on a Packers WR Mount Rushmore.
I would’ve never guessed that McGee was 5th in TD’s. That’s very impressive and he punted for us too. I didn’t see him during his prime so maybe he is ahead of Dowler who I did see when he was really good.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time I hear Sharpe’s name my brain goes oh what could have been if Sharpe doesn’t get injured and we drafted Barry instead of Mandarich

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nelson might have been higher on the list if not for bad luck and circumstance, he came into the league behind Driver Jennings and Jones. That knee injury in 15 robbed him of what should have been one of the best years of his career and likely hastened his decline. Then you have 13 where he was on a crazy pace right up until Rodgers got hurt. At his prime he was as good as any receiver in organization history, but his career wasn't as fortunate as some. I do like him more than James Lofton, however.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No one caught touchdown passes while **** faced like Max Mcgee did.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1)Hudson changed the game. Watching highlights of him is like watching the men vs the boys. He just dominated.
2) Lofton - Amazing talent and he played on some really bad teams where he was often double teamed.
3) Sharpe - Best possession receiver I ever saw.
4) Driver - Very tough over the middle receiver who could take a hit and make the catch. Also had deceptive speed.
5) Jordy - Could have been higher on this list if he hadn't had the knee injury.
6) Dowler or Adams

What a line up!

Members online

Latest posts