WR James Jones

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones
WR | (6'0", 207, 4.54) | SAN JOSE STATE

Strengths: Is smooth getting in and out of cuts, has adequate quickness and runs adequate short-to-intermediate routes. Shows adequate awareness, reads defenses fairly well and can settle into soft spots when sees zone coverage. Footwork is sound and flashes the ability to get a clean release working against press coverage. Is tough and isn't afraid to go over the middle. Times jumps well, has great leaping ability and flashes the ability to catch the ball at its highest point despite height. Competitive, fights for the ball when it's in the air and can make the tough catch in traffic. Has experience returning punts, can long snap and can contribute on special teams. While didn't play at a collegiate powerhouse, plays with confidence and appeared to be at best in biggest games.

Weaknesses: Doesn't show a second gear when tracking the ball downfield and isn't going to stretch many defenses. Occasionally loses focus, has some problems locating balls thrown over shoulder and drops some passes should catch. Though runs hard and flashes the ability to make the first defender miss lacks breakaway speed and isn't much of a homerun threat after the catch. Doesn't play with enough of a mean streak and isn't much of a blocker at this point. Marginal score on the Wonderlic Test.

Overall: Jones was redshirted in 2002 before playing in nine games (zero starts) in 2003 as a backup receiver and long-snapper catching one pass for eight yards. In 2004, he saw action in all 11 games (six starts) and caught 25 passes for 317 yards (12.7 average) and one touchdown. Jones started three of 11 contests in 2005, making 30 receptions for 278 yards (9.3 average) and scoring one touchdown. In 2006, he started 12 of 13 games hauling in 70 passes for 893 yards (12.8) and 10 touchdowns, earning a second team All-WAC selection. For his career he has carried 24 times for 126 yards and one touchdown. Additionally, Jones has returned 42 punts for 307 yards (7.3 average).

Jones' potential is limited by his lack of top-end speed, but he has the skills to develop into a productive sub-package receiver who also contributes on special teams. His mental and physical development as a senior has improved his draft stock significantly and he could come off the board as early as the fifth round.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bit of a reach here. Was rising in recent weeks but we probably could have had him in the 4th. Rather gone safety here.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones Draft Profile
JAMES JONES
Wide Receiver/Punt Returner
San Jose State University Spartans
6:00.6-207
San Jose, California
Gunderson High School

OVERVIEW:

The consummate team player, the coaching staff took full advantage of Jones' athletic ability and versatility in 2006. He not only went on to lead the team in receptions, but also showed a strong throwing arm for the option pass, natural hands to handle punt return duties and also keep the defenses honest with his ability to get good yardage on the reverse. He went on to score by catching, running and throwing the ball during his final year. Jones was the 2001 League Most Valuable Player as a senior at Gunderson High School. He was a first-team All-Central Coast Section choice and played in the 2002 Santa Clara County North- South All-Star Game. In addition to football, he lettered in basketball and track, registering a personal best of 6'8" in the high jump. Deciding to stay local, Jones enrolled at San Jose State in 2002, spending the season on the scout team. He saw minimal action in nine games in 2003, but caught only one pass for eight yards while recording three tackles. He started six of 11 contests as a sophomore, ranking second on the team with 25 receptions for 317 yards (12.7 avg) and a touchdown. He added 80 yards on 11 punt returns (7.3 avg) and recorded one solo tackle. As a junior, Jones started just three games, but he still finished second on the team with 30 catches for 278 yards (9.3 avg) and one touchdown. He picked up 48 yards on eight carries (6.0 avg) and 106 yards on 20 punt returns (5.3 avg). He also totaled five tackles (four solos) on special teams. The second-team All-Western Athletic Conference choice was named team MVP in 2006. He led the team with a career-high 70 receptions, gaining 893 yards (12.8 avg) with 10 touchdowns. He rushed 11 times for 76 yards (6.9 avg) and a score and returned 11 punts for 121 yards (11.0 avg). He also connected on 2-of-6 passes for 57 yards and a touchdown. In 44 games at San Jose State, Jones started 21 contests. He caught 126 passes for 1,496 yards (11.2 avg) and 12 touchdowns. He gained 126 yards with a score on 24 reverses 95.3 avg) and completed three of seven passes (42.9 percent) for 58 yards and a touchdowns. Jones made nine tackles (six solos) on special teams and returned 42 punts for 307 yards (7.3 avg).

ANALYSIS:

Positives: Solidly built athlete with a lean, yet defined frame, showing good upper body muscle definition, long arms and large, soft hands...Lacks explosion off the snap, but does a good job of accelerating throughout his route...Can fill in as a long snapper in an emergency...Runs with good balance and shows above average hand/eye coordination...Can make the tough catches in traffic and then run around defenders with the ball...Has a smooth, gliding running motion, but does not generate an explosive pull-away burst... Does a nice job of scanning the field to find the open area...Uses his hands well to get a push off the defender up field...Will extend and grab for the ball, showing consistent hand skills... Fights for the ball in traffic, generally coming up with it due to his determined attitude and leaping ability...Has the body control and timing on his leaps to compete for the ball at its high point... Best when utilized on hitches, as he has the strength to turn a short toss into valid yardage...Makes good body adjustments tracking the ball in flight...Fluid in and out of his breaks and is alert to coverages, settling into the field's soft areas nicely...Shows good urgency getting down field as the gunner on the coverage units. Negatives: Lacks great timed speed or a second gear to separate...Tends to look lackadaisical going for the ball at times...Needs to develop better shake moves to escape defenders at the line...Rounds his cuts and is has had ball concentration lapses, as he needs to be more conscious of securing the ball before running with it...Lacks a separation burst and needs to develop better moves to sell the route and surprise the defensive back...For his size, he seems too passive when it comes to blocking, lacking the ability (or desire) to sustain and finish his blocks....Takes soft angles out of his breaks and defensive backs generally stay with him through the route...Even though he has good weight room strength, it fails to translate to the field, as he will be stopped on initial contact. Compares To: BEN OBOMANU-Seattle...Even though he lacks blazing speed, Jones manages to get to most balls thrown his way. He is better suited for hitches and short area routes, but needs to be crisper in his open-field cuts. He is a marginal blocker and not really elusive, as he won't be one that can be used to threaten the deep secondary. However, he reads defenses well and has a knack for finding soft areas on the field.

INJURY REPORT:

No injuries reported.

CAREER NOTES:

Jones' 70 receptions in 2006 rank fourth on the school's single-season record list behind Guy Liggins (72 in 1986 and 77 in 1987) and Edell Shepherd (83 in 2001)...His 10 touchdown catches in 2006 are topped only by Shepherd (14 in 2001) and Oliver Newell (11 in 1997) on the Spartans' annual record books...Ranks 11th in school annals with 1,496 yards receiving...His 126 receptions rank third in school history behind Tim Kearse (142, 1980-82) and Liggins (149, 1986-87).

AGILITY TESTS

Campus: 4.59 in the 40-yard dash...Bench pressed 225 pounds 21 times...35-inch vertical jump...10'6" broad jump...32 1/2-inch arm length...9 3/4-inch hands...Right-handed...9/24 Wonderlic score. Combine: 4.6 in the 40-yard dash...1.63 10-yard dash...2.67 20-yard dash...4.2 20-yard shuttle...11.58 60-yard shuttle...7.06 three-cone drill...34-inch vertical jump...9'11" broad jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times.

PERSONAL:

Sociology major...Born 3/31/84 in San Jose, California.

HIGH SCHOOL:

Attended Gunderson (San Jose, Calif.) High School, playing football for coaches Jay Carrasco and Chris Bolding...2001 League Most Valuable Player as a senior at Gunderson High School...First-team All-Central Coast Section choice and played in the 2002 Santa Clara County North-South All-Star Game...In addition to football, he lettered in basketball and track, registering a personal best of 6'8" in the high jump.

Not a burner or really tall but seems to be able to go over the middle and "may" be able to get jump balls.

Reaction score
To be honest, I think this is a good pick.

We have some young talent on safety that has potential, and I would rather work on developing Underwood and Culver instead of getting another guy to try and replace Manuel.

This guy kinda reminds me of Jennings with the "lacks second gear" type thing.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a pretty good pick he is a talented receiver but what about better receivers like Aundrae Allison and there are better receivers but this pick isn't bad.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
To be honest, I think this is a good pick.

We have some young talent on safety that has potential, and I would rather work on developing Underwood and Culver instead of getting another guy to try and replace Manuel.

This guy kinda reminds me of Jennings with the "lacks second gear" type thing.

With all due respect, I think the frustration is that he could have been had in round 4. We could have used our 1st round 3 pick on someone else.

If this guy turns out to be a special teams stud though, I'll be happy.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wondered why not Aundrae Allison. Jones ran a 4.6 forty and Allison ran a 4.39

Although I'm satisfied with Jones

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones plays more like Boldin from AZ. He's obviously not as talented, but that's the style he has (tough catches in traffic, hard to bring down, physical).

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where the 4.6 came from. Everyone is saying Jones ran 4.54 at the combine and 4.4 something on campus.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where the 4.6 came from. Everyone is saying Jones ran 4.54 at the combine and 4.4 something on campus.

NFL draft countdown says a 4.6...either way 4.49 seems bett

But Like I said he looks like he plays faster than he timed

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL draft countdown 40-times are not to be trusted.

40 Time: 4.54 40 Low: 4.50 40 High: 4.61

Official combine results:

Height: 6006
Weight: 207
40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.54
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 9'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: 7.06

Pro day results:

Height: 6006
Weight: 207
40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
20 Yrd Dash: 2.62
10 Yrd Dash: 1.49
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 35
Broad Jump: 10'6"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the physical tools, i just hope he can "get" the offense quickly, if he does what Gregarious did last year i'd be happy.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a tough kid that can go across the middle and fight for the ball. That's what were missing with Fergy. He no longer has it in him.

Reaction score
Great point warhawk.

Ted said yesterday that he expects Jones to make an immediate impact, so it isn't like he is drafting Jones with the expectation that he'll sit out and learn in year 1.

Also, WR coach Robinson said last year with Gregorious Jennings, it became apparent quite early into the minicamps that this kid would contribute right away.

I'm guessing if Jones doesn't show something, the Packers will then seek to add some help, but as of now they expect him to contribute and I think that is a good sign.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts