WR corps

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So our next gen, WR wannabe's...

What up with Brown's injury? I thought it was a performance benching, but looks like he's still unable to practice fully.

Lazard looks to make best advantage now. His PFF rating was higher than MvS for wk 1, I read.

D

Deleted member 6794

What up with Brown's injury? I thought it was a performance benching, but looks like he's still unable to practice fully.

Lazard looks to make best advantage now. His PFF rating was higher than MvS for wk 1, I read.

EQ didn't practice over the last two days and was declared out for Sunday's game vs. the Lions. I wonder when he got hurt as he didn't appear on the injury report at all last week.

You have to consider MVS had a terrible drop and should have come up with another long catch when evaluating his performance vs. the Vikings.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ didn't practice over the last two days and was declared out for Sunday's game vs. the Lions. I wonder when he got hurt as he didn't appear on the injury report at all last week.

You have to consider MVS had a terrible drop and should have come up with another long catch when evaluating his performance vs. the Vikings.

I'm prefty lenient on the long one he dropped. The 3rd down crosser however was inexcusable

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute and LeFluer clearly have confidence in MVS, EQ, Lazard, and the rest. Otherwise, they would have drafted a WR. This season will be a big test of their forsight. St Brown has developed an injury history which calls into question the wisdom of counting on him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Time to go out and sign someone. Gabriel, Sanu and Paul Richardson are available I believe?

Sanu signed with the Niners this week.

We roll with what we got there. May need someone in the trenches later.

While it might be true that the Packers will need to sign a free agent either on the offensive or defensive line at some point this season that doesn't prevent them from adding a receiver.

D

Deleted member 6794

How did adding a veteran insurance WR work out last season? Did he even get active on game day?

The Packers adding Ryan Grant last season didn't work out at all as he didn't play a single snap.

That doesn't mean Gutekunst shouldn't try to add another one if the need arises at some point this season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see it unless injury hits group. It is clear MLF would prefer hitting gamedays with 4 TEs and 4 RBs with his play calls than carrying a bunch of WRs. However, if Stern after week 4or 5 doesn't correct some of his issues, we very well could start only bringing 3 TEs and adding a WR.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we won't be needing a 6 WR aerial spread offense anymore. I wasn't too hot and bothered about them not taking a WR this past draft because what the youngins really needed was reps to gel with Aaron. My personal favorite is MVS because he brings a solution none of the other guys can but he's got literal stone for hands. Hopefully he can remedy that.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MVS is on pace for 56/1280/8. He's also left a bit on the field too.

He looks better than he ever has. I think it's okay to be a little optimistic. His speed creates a lot of opportunities for this offense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see it unless injury hits group. It is clear MLF would prefer hitting gamedays with 4 TEs and 4 RBs with his play calls than carrying a bunch of WRs. However, if Stern after week 4or 5 doesn't correct some of his issues, we very well could start only bringing 3 TEs and adding a WR.
I missed the first quarter so don't know where Sternberger was but I think he should be using the middle of the field...not the sidelines.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MVS can keep it up GB should be okay. That's a big if though.

TE is a different story. Jace has looked unplayable so far. Tonyan might need to be the guy for us.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of people think we are in good shape at WR/TE. Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but the Packers have faced a couple of pretty young and/or banged up secondary's in the first 2 weeks of the season. I'm going to wait a few more games, especially when facing top defenses to make my conclusions on just how good our Receiving group and our offense is.

Right now the most concerning thing for me are all the dropped passes, pretty much the same issue the Packers had last season. MVS in week one and Sternberger's 2 drops on easy catches yesterday has to get cleaned up.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they have plenty of guys to catch the ball. more importantly an offense designed to use them all...and a QB who can get it to them. they have make the catches, the o-line's depth has to hold up, and the ball has to be on time and on point. i feel great about all of it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of people think we are in good shape at WR/TE. Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but the Packers have faced a couple of pretty young and/or banged up secondary's in the first 2 weeks of the season. I'm going to wait a few more games, especially when facing top defenses to make my conclusions on just how good our Receiving group and our offense is.

Right now the most concerning thing for me are all the dropped passes, pretty much the same issue the Packers had last season. MVS in week one and Sternberger's 2 drops on easy catches yesterday has to get cleaned up.

I mean, MVS toasted the #3 overall pick in the draft. I don't care if he's a rookie, he's not a bad player. Young, yes. Bad? No.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute and LeFluer clearly have confidence in MVS, EQ, Lazard, and the rest. Otherwise, they would have drafted a WR. This season will be a big test of their forsight. St Brown has developed an injury history which calls into question the wisdom of counting on him.

I don’t know if that’s completely true, Gute said they had WRs rated really highly but just weren’t able to grab one, he didn’t think adding a late rounder would’ve helped much. Plus they did sign Funchess in free agency, so they were actively trying to improve the wr corps, unfortunately Funchess opted out of the season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know if that’s completely true, Gute said they had WRs rated really highly but just weren’t able to grab one, he didn’t think adding a late rounder would’ve helped much. Plus they did sign Funchess in free agency, so they were actively trying to improve the wr corps, unfortunately Funchess opted out of the season.
it wasn't just late rounders, after round 1 they didn't feel many of those guys added anything more than what they had.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I mean, MVS toasted the #3 overall pick in the draft. I don't care if he's a rookie, he's not a bad player. Young, yes. Bad? No.
He is a dangerous deep threat. Opponents are going to have to provide deep safety help if they keep connecting. Should make the opposite side hash to deep middle vulnerable to exploitation by Adams, Jones and Tonyan.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
they have plenty of guys to catch the ball. more importantly an offense designed to use them all...and a QB who can get it to them. they have make the catches, the o-line's depth has to hold up, and the ball has to be on time and on point. i feel great about all of it.

Going to fix this for you..... "they have to make the catches"

I would also add that as they face better defenses/secondary's, they will need to get open. I don't really consider the Vikings or Lions as good tests of our receivers abilities, more a confirmation that Rodgers is still playing at a high level.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed the first quarter so don't know where Sternberger was but I think he should be using the middle of the field...not the sidelines.

I didn't see him catch the ball once. And it looked to me that Rodgers was getting frustrated with him. He better fix whatever the problem is or there is no point putting him on the field cuz Rodgers won't throw to him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A lot of people, including myself, wondered if WR wasn't as much a point of emphasis as we all expected because the WR position wouldn't be featured as much in the offense. Through two weeks, that appears to be true. They've used a lot of 21, 12, 22, and 13 personnel.

Members online