WR Brett Swain

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much on him as well. 6'1", 198, 4.59 40 out of San Diego State.

GB brought him in for a visit, this from a JSOnline article:

WR Brett Swain, San Diego State, 6-0, 200, 4.63 - Slot receiver type who caught 58 passes for 973 yards (16.8) and five TDs for pass-happy Aztecs. Doesn't have blinding speed but has some quickness.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Made Tony Pauline's "hidden gems" section:

'Brett Swain, WR, San Diego State: He flew under the radar for most of the year but has caught the interests of a few teams lately. He averaged 16.8 yards on 58 receptions last season as SDSU's leading receiver. His toughness, smarts and hands could help him develop into a productive third or fourth receiver in the NFL."

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted continues to pile on the WR's and QB's. It would be nice to have another DB, but this is a good team, so I'm not going to quibble with late round draft choices.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL.com sez"

Pick Analysis:Swain has decent speed and size, but he's not particularly outstanding in any particular area. But he does have a chance to make the roster as a depth wide receiver. The Packers have done well in the past taking receivers late in the draft with players such as Donald Driver and Ruvell Martin.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some info from the Swain interview that JSOnline has:

How fast did you run the 40 on your pro day?

I think my official time was 4.41.

Did you lift?

I did 225 10 times.

What's your weight?

200 even.

What's the best part of your game?

I feel like I can be used in pretty much any scenario, playing all kinds of special teams and just being a utility player, asking me what I can do best on the field and asking me what I can do best on the field and just being that team player that can go out there and just do what the coaches ask. I mean, I feel like I can be a coachable person. I fee like I can be a great asset to somebody that would want to use me in that kind of situation.

As a receiver what are your best attributes?

Well, you know, a lot of people knock me on my speed. I was listed as a 4.6-something and I feel like that was something that really bothered me going through this whole situation. I felt like speed was a big part of my game that I felt like I had to prove to a lot of people. At my pro day I got my chance and I was able to run a good time. I felt like my speed is something that has really been helping me. A lot of people don't look at me as guy that's going to blow past them. But when I get up on them and I'm able to run by them they're able to understand that, hey, this guy can run a little bit. But I feel like my speed works with some of the things that I do and it has put me in the position I am right now.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand this pick at all.

Won't cry over it, because it's a 7th round pick. But still, it's a waste.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this talk of wasted picks are giving me the red ***. It's a seventh round pick--it can't possibly be judged the same way as the other rounds.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's going to have a tough time cracking the final 53-man roster, and that's under the assumption we'll be carrying 6 recievers. Sounds like a PS player for next year, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Might have a chance to compete for a roster spot in 2009 if Ruvell and Koren don't return.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Do you have a spot in mind for Brett Swain considering how deep you are at WR?)

Well, he's another guy who kind of caught our eye a little bit later. We had guys in there in the fall and they liked him and we were actually doing some work on the quarterback there and he caught our eye. And then we did some more work on him and we brought him in for a visit. Very impressive young man. We thought it was a good pick for us at the time.

they liked him, good enough for me.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Brett Swain ~ S.D.S.U. -- We've been told by an informed insider (national media) that Swain may be drawing heavier draft interest than all the other non-combine invites at wide receiver. Matter of fact, per the source, at least one N.F.C. North squad has him projected as a solid 5th rounder. Swain showed great hands dealing with a often erratic quarterback (Kevin O'Connell) and is faster than he's given credit for. Averaged 16.8 YPC in 2007."

He seems pretty fast, running at 4.41, allegedly has good hands, I can see this guy making the team, kind of a Joe Jurevicious, only faster. He comes from a smaller school.

It's amazing, now we have two white guy receivers.. who would have thought.

Reaction score
Swain showed great hands dealing with a often erratic quarterback (Kevin O'Connell)

Wow, I thought it said "******" instead of "erratic" so I had to do a double take on that. :doh:

I wonder how our other WRs are taking the addition of two rookie WRs to the mix. I certainly hope they don't take it personally.

I'm still struck by an apparent encounter at the draft party on Saturday where James Jones, after hearing of the Jordy Nelson pick, shook his head and said "why'd they do that?" :-?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I wonder how our other WRs are taking the addition of two rookie WRs to the mix. I certainly hope they don't take it personally.

job security doesn't exist in the NFL. these guys have been competing for playing time since they were 15...if any player takes a draft pick personally then their NFL livelihood is in serious jeopardy.

point being...they don't. every practice is an opportunity for somebody else to unseat you. hell, Training Camp might as well be a fight to the death of your career.

any athlete worth a damn knows there is always the next guy, and approaches it as such. it's professional football.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I'm still struck by an apparent encounter at the draft party on Saturday where James Jones, after hearing of the Jordy Nelson pick, shook his head and said "why'd they do that?" :-?

the Packers taking a WR with their first pick caught everybody else off guard, i don't see why JJ (dy-no-mite) would be any different. granted, he's a WR so self-preservation could completely be the reasoning behind the comment.

ion the same breath...who cares?

damn im drunk.

sharkbite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s the scoop on Swain….I’m an Aztec fan from San Diego and have been watching Swain for 5 years. Key attributes: The guy has incredible hands, very quick feet runs routes as good has Marvin Harrison and yes, very fast! He was timed in the 40 at Pro day at 4.37 and 4.41. In high school Swain and Reggie Bush were to two top 100m guys in San Diego County. So the kid can flat out run. He’s always received a bad rap with regards to his speed because he is a white guy.

He would have put up incredible number his senior year at SDSU but you have to remember the other receiver on the team was drafted by the Oakland Raiders. Swain also received double and sometimes triple coverage. This guy will surprise many people and furthermore if you ever get a chance to meet the guy he is the nicest most unassuming individual you’ll ever meet. Quality individual!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seems to me we got another 6th or 7th round WR pick that had everyone shaking their heads. I might be wrong but I think he turned out ok.

you pick a 7th rounder for their potential. not what they can do today. If they could do it today, they would be a first or second rounder.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here’s the scoop on Swain….I’m an Aztec fan from San Diego and have been watching Swain for 5 years. Key attributes: The guy has incredible hands, very quick feet runs routes as good has Marvin Harrison and yes, very fast! He was timed in the 40 at Pro day at 4.37 and 4.41. In high school Swain and Reggie Bush were to two top 100m guys in San Diego County. So the kid can flat out run. He’s always received a bad rap with regards to his speed because he is a white guy.

He would have put up incredible number his senior year at SDSU but you have to remember the other receiver on the team was drafted by the Oakland Raiders. Swain also received double and sometimes triple coverage. This guy will surprise many people and furthermore if you ever get a chance to meet the guy he is the nicest most unassuming individual you’ll ever meet. Quality individual!

Thanks for the insight on the kid.. I hope he brings it to the Packers.. always room for another quality football player in Green Bay.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Shark - If this is true, I take back what I said earlier.
I hope you're right.

sharkbite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's my opinion Swain went in the seventh round because of the program he came from. SDSU's head coach is a bafoon i.e. Chuck Long! CL never gave his players from the old coaching staff any credit when he came into the program. Swain is a much better receiver then Marcus Smith who went in the 5th round. CL looks really bad right now in San Diego. How do you have a QB and two receiver get draft into the NFL and install and run offense?? This kid Swain is something special. You folks out there will really enjoy watching him.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading here I actually think they might have a seventh round guy that might stick. I said before the draft that it will be very hard for the 5th, round on up to make this team.

I am sure we will have some coming in here questioning TT because some of these guys may just not make it when the reason WHY is the 53 we have right now is pretty strong.

NOT because these later round picks necessarily SUCK. It actually sounds like the entire draft is very athletic with more potential to be good then ready to play right now.

Kind of like what a draft is supposed to produce.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think white receivers by many are underrated just because they are white, white guys aren't supposed to run as fast and jump as high as black receivers.. So there definately seems to be some racial bias when it comes to certain positions in the NFL, among them receivers.

I think this Swain guy will show up, so will Nelson.

Latest posts