WOY DEFENDS DRIVER DEAL

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PFT.Com said:
On Thursday, we suggested that the failure of agent Jordan Woy to disclose the bonus structure of receiver Donald Driver's new contract with the Packers was evidence that the bonus structure, well, wasn't all that good.

On Friday, we heard from Woy.

"I did give a statement to the press regarding Donald Driver's new two year extension," Woy wrote in an e-mail. "However, I was asked by Driver and the team not to disclose certain information."

But Woy was candid regarding certain other information. Here's what he had to say.

"The Driver deal was outstanding under the circumstances," Woy said. "Donald is 31 years old and had two years remaining on his contract for salaries of approximately $1.36 million and $1.86 million. After witnessing what Javon Walker went through I was amazed and very happy we were able to get accomplished what we did. We did it behind the scenes without any bad blood between Donald and the front office and no bad press for Donald in a town that idolizes their stars.

"Donald had no interest in leaving Green Bay," Woy explained. "He also told the team he would NEVER hold out. Andrew Brandt and Ted Thompson knew these things about Donald and could have really squeezed us. In fact, they did for a number of months. I had meetings with both of them several times face to face just to inch up their offers. We continued to point out over and over again why it was fair for them to take care of Donald in his final years and pay him accordingly. In the end, after a lot of debate, they did. Javon Walker was 23 with a great future in front of him but he was unable to get an extension in Green Bay. Many teams would have jumped to do an extension. Green Bay is not one of those teams. They keep their salaries tight and are no big on re-doing deals until they are up.

"Donald's deal is an outstanding deal given his age. He could have played it out and been a free agent at 33. Their is no telling what could happen in those two years and how much someone would pay a 33 year old receiver. As I told the Packers, 'It is time for the good guys to get taken care of.' I think NFL players get tired of only seeing the players who make scenes of themselves in public and fight with the teams in public get deals. Players like Donald, who came into the league as a 7th rounder from Alcorn State and who has been outstanding citizen should get taken care of. A lot of times they don't. I am happy when all players get paid large amounts of money. It is just nice when players like Donald Driver can get paid without going through a public mess and threatening to hold out or be traded."

Last month, Driver denied an ESPN report that he had asked to be traded if his deal was not restructured. The fact that the team "squeezed" Driver "for a number of months" makes us wonder whether there's any truth to the notion that Woy got frustrated during the process and asked for Driver to be dealt.

Read this, seriously. Read it. You'll like it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Zero.

I can't stand those pompous ***es from PFT. They get all over agents if they don't personally respond to everything they want. As if they are legitimate journalist. They hold grudges against certain players , coaches, agents, etc. Bunch of crybabies!

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Thanks for the heads up Zero.

I can't stand those pompous ***es from PFT. They get all over agents if they don't personally respond to everything they want. As if they are legitimate journalist. They hold grudges against certain players , coaches, agents, etc. Bunch of crybabies!

Yea the 'Lord Favre' to 'He who we shall not mention anymore' was a bit over the edge. Not to mention the emailing to Chris Havel.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter what kind of a deal anybody gets it isn't good enough.

A huge deal like Woodson's is just a contract.

Mark my words. No matter what deal Reggie Bush gets from the Saints they will tear it apart and blame the agent for not negotiating better with the Texans before the draft.

Hawk's deal will likely not be a huge signing bonus but roster bonuses to keep the cap charges limited in the future and a lot of money spent this year.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFT actually did say Driver got a pretty good deal. Here it is.

DRIVER GOT $4 MILLION TO SIGN

A league source has provided us with the real numbers regarding receiver Donald Driver's new four-year contract, which extends by two years his current deal. Previously, Driver's agent had disclosed the salaries and the total value only, without commenting on bonus money.

Per the source, Driver got $4 million to sign. He also will receive a $250,000 roster bonus and a $950,000 base salary in 2006.

It's a net increase of $3.49 million over his prior base salary of $1.76 million.

For 2007, Driver gets a base salary of $2.7 million and a workout bonus of $50,000. The net increase over his the base salary for 2007 from his old contract is $510,000.

So Driver gets a total raise of $4 million over the next two years and $4 million in cash now, in exchange for extending the term by two seasons.

In 2008, Driver will receive a $1 million roster bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus, and a base salary of $2.9 million. In 2009, he will get a $1 million roster bonus, a $100,000 roster bonus, and $3.9 million in base salary.

The total new money, then, is $13 million over four years, for an average of $3.25 million.

So it's a pretty good deal for Driver, since he was due to make $4 million over the next two years, but now will make $8 million. And he opted to take the $4 million signing bonus now, in the event that, when he is 33 in two years, he won't get that much on the open market.

But he still might be on the open market in 2008 or 2009, due to the $1 million roster bonus in each of the last two seasons of the deal. If the team decides that Driver no longer can play at a high level at age 33 or 34, the Packers will simply opt not to pay the roster bonus.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Message to players:

Act like a jerk, no money(Walker)
Act like an adult, get paid(Driver)

Walker's deal is heavily loaded from the second year on. He will be earning less this year than Driver, and if he doesn't show it, the Broncos can cut him with a manageable cap hit.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Message to players:

Act like a jerk, no money(Walker)
Act like an adult, get paid(Driver)

Walker's deal is heavily loaded from the second year on. He will be earning less this year than Driver, and if he doesn't show it, the Broncos can cut him with a manageable cap hit.

net...Walkers deal has nothing to do with being a jerk (although he was). It has to do with coming back from a serious knee injury. If he comes back from the injury he will make about 3 times the money Driver does. If Driver had the same injury he wouldn't have "got paid".

If you don't agree just look at T.O. He seems to get big bucks every year.

Members online

Latest posts