WOW! Some eye-popping cuts and trades!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Packers dot com

----

Packers Reach 53-Man Limit

posted 09/03/2005

Reducing their roster to the NFL-mandated 53-man limit, the Green Bay Packers Saturday released 19 players, placed two on injured reserve and completed two trades. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions.

Green Bay has traded CB Chris Johnson to the St. Louis Rams for LB Robert Thomas, a fourth-year veteran out of UCLA. In addition, the Packers traded T/G Steve Morley to the New York Jets for a future undisclosed draft choice.

The team has released the following players:
T/G Brad Bedell
WR Craig Bragg
WR Sam Breeden
CB Chris Day
T/G Joe Hayes
DT Cletidus Hunt
LB Corey Jenkins
WR Jamal Jones
FB Vonta Leach
DT James Lee
TE Sean McHugh
LB Nick McNeil
QB J.T. O'Sullivan
LB Ray Thompson
WR Andrae Thurman
CB Leigh Torrence
DE R-Kal Truluck
DE Seante Williams
RB Walt Williams

The team has placed the following players on injured reserve:
S Todd Franz
RB Joey Harris

Hunt, a starting defensive tackle the last three seasons, was drafted by the Packers out of Kentucky State in the third round of the 1999 NFL Draft.

The Packers are allowed to begin signing players to practice-squad contracts after 11 a.m. Sunday morning. Green Bay on Monday begins on-field preparations for its 85th NFL season.

----
So who backs up Clifton at left tackle? Bob Skoronski?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truth be told, I'm a little surprised by the Hunt cut, but I'm not exactly upset...don't let the door hit your huge lazy *** on the way out Cletius!!!

Reaction score
Thompson got cut. :shock: Wow, wasn't expecting that at all. But well Mr. Hunt, I would say it had been a pleasure to have you play for the packers, but that would be a lie. Guess Manning is one damn good player. And So is Williams. Let the season begin! :pals: :beer:

*Edit* I guess that Favre guy is also alright... :wink:

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Hunt finally got cut. Good. The trade for LB Thomas, IMO was a good one.
I was not surprized with the Lee or Thompson cuts. They did not perform in the pre-season.

Maybe Leach, Williams and Thurmon will get a PS spot if they are available from waivers.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are indeed some interesting moves.
Like most can't say I am sorry to see Hunt leave. (Except for the money he is talking with him.)
I had hoped Leach would stick but the odds were against him from the beginning.
I expected Bragg to be cut and GB try to stick him on the PS.
Truluck was sure a waste of 2 draft choices. Oh well give MS a 1/2 point for trying to shore up the DL with him last year.
I kinda liked Walt Williams. PS maybe?

Reaction score
wpr, no doubt he will be on PS. we have 2 FA RB next year, one is getting older in age. I expect Williams to replace ****** if he doesn't resign next year. Walt was on PS last year too, and got some game action against Texans. Showed flashes, but got injured on his longest run and then put on IR. Hope he is on PS for sure.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my first contribution will be about the penn stater, of course...FB-TE Sean McHugh, one heck of a player for the nittany lions, hope he catches on for a team somewhere....

we cut cleditus because of our talent on d-line, according to packers.com WHO are we talking about--truluck, james lee cut too, i don't know who is on our d-line anymore...this is going to be one ugly defense i hate to say...but i appreciate the trade for robert thomas

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my questions list.......

• RB Walt Williams
    WR Andrae Thurman
    T/G Brad Bedell
    LB Ray Thompson
    TE Sean McHugh
    DT James Lee
Otherwise, I'm not surprised all that much......

Green Bay has traded CB Chris Johnson to the St. Louis Rams for LB Robert Thomas, a fourth-year veteran out of UCLA. In addition, the Packers traded T/G Steve Morley to the New York Jets for a future undisclosed draft choice.

[The team has placed the following players on injured reserve:
S Todd Franz
RB Joey Harris]

These SIX GUYS should make the Practice Squad.....
I'm watching the Ted Thompson video (Packers.com) as I write this up....

*EDIT* - The Chris Johnson Saga is one I'm real happy about -- The Packers found a way to let him go, yet with his health returning, he still has upside value and they made the most of it with St. Louis. 8) Now watch the guy excel on astro-turf....... :roll:

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the PS was for rookies and 1st yr players only. I didn't think that all these guys would be eligible for the PS

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
I thought the PS was for rookies and 1st yr players only. I didn't think that all these guys would be eligible for the PS
Could be - I haven't memorized all the rules ...as yet. One can hope.....

And, if that's true, then we have only (what) these three....? Who would go that route?

• RB Walt Williams
    WR Andrae Thurman
    LB Ray Thompson

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great to see Hunt finally gone. I was disappointed that Chris Johnson is gone. I hope that this LB they got for him is decent. I'm a little leery of former first-round picks who have underperformed. (Tim Couch, Akili Smith)

The Packers are shorthanded at OT, but they must be planning on getting someone off the waiver wire. It's strange to have 10 offensive linemen and only one bona fide left tackle among them.

I was hoping Andrae Thurman would be kept, at least until Chatman and Murphy heal up. We'll see what happens. There will be more roster moves soon, I'm sure.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad Hunt is gone as well. I don't like the hit on the salary cap that will come as a result of his being cut, but I'm glad he's gone. The other cuts weren't at all surprising to me. Now lets see who we can pick up off the waiver wire?

Pack14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very happy to see Hunt getting the boot. Great move by Thompson. Interested in seeing who we pick up off the waiver wire.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts