Wow, Packer fans, worst call I've ever seen

cmc0605

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a Broncos fan, but just looking around the different forums to get a sense of the reactions out there. My sense is that everyone and their mother who aren't Seattle fans acknowledges that the NFL screwed up.

I can understand the Seahawks rationalizations. I tried to rationalize with myself a few years ago why the Ed Hochulli screwup with Jay Cutler's "fumble" against San Diego wasn't actually a screwup. Eventually, I had to come to terms with the fact that I was wrong, and that Denver shouldn't have won that game.

The gif video that "hawkfan" posted in the first page is rather irrefutable evidence of Jennings interception. The arguments otherwise are not compelling. As soon as Jennings catches the ball, it can be seen that Tate's left hand is touching the ball, and his right hand is on Jennings' wrist/arm, and subsequently is removed from touching anything (his right hand makes it around the helmet of Jennings, well away from any contact with the ball). The argument that his left hand touching the ball equates to possession is ridiculous. You cannot touch a ball while another guy grabs it out of the air and say that you possessed it. Jennings had two hands on it the whole way and brought it to his chest. The fact that Tate maintained his ability to touch the ball, and then wrapped his arms around it on the ground is irrelevant, and frankly, using it as an argument is just a sign of denial. It's like saying that if a mother is hugging a baby around her chest, and someone comes and puts their hand on the baby, the other person is now holding the baby (and by NFL logic, now belongs to them). Any rationalizations of joint possession in the air are unequivocally wrong.

Dirrty Bear

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As soon as Jennings catches the ball, it can be seen that Tate's left hand is touching the ball, and his right hand is on Jennings' wrist/arm, and subsequently is removed from touching anything (his right hand makes it around the helmet of Jennings, well away from any contact with the ball). The argument that his left hand touching the ball equates to possession is ridiculous. You cannot touch a ball while another guy grabs it out of the air and say that you possessed it. Jennings had two hands on it the whole way and brought it to his chest. The fact that Tate maintained his ability to touch the ball, and then wrapped his arms around it on the ground is irrelevant, and frankly, using it as an argument is just a sign of denial. It's like saying that if a mother is hugging a baby around her chest, and someone comes and puts their hand on the baby, the other person is now holding the baby (and by NFL logic, now belongs to them). Any rationalizations of joint possession in the air are unequivocally wrong.

Tate wraps his arms around it BEFORE Jennings gets both feet on the ground. That's the key piece that everyone seems to lose sight of. Everyone is looking for the straw that breaks the proverbial back of this ridiculous referee lockout. It's hard to look at this objectively when you're actively rooting for these scrub refs to fail. This applies to most NFL fans and pretty much the entire sports media complex.

WhodatD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a die-hard Saints fan- You guys got robbed! It's a disgrace to the game we love and to the players and fans who put so much into each and every game. I hate it for you guys. I hate it for your team. It really is unbelievable what the greatest game in the history of mankind has been reduced to. In a league that brings in around $9 BILLION a year it seems insane to me to refuse to fork over a few million for your employees that have helped to make your product the best on the market. That's the equivalentof me buying one of you a couple of pitchers of beer for crying out loud. . . .

I've watched the Saints robbed SEVERAL times this year in just 3 short weeks (I'll be the 1st to admit that they are NOT playing as well as they can but in 3 games decided by one possession or less thoses "little" calls here and there are making a HUGE difference) and while I haven't seen all of the Packers' games this season I do know that the 49ers were getting away with murder (something like 5 false starts that were never called among several other things.)

How many more games are going to be decided by something other than the players on the field? How many coaches are going to lose jobs because of the officials' inability to call a fair game? How many players are going to be injured because these scabs have no control over the guys on the field?

I don't know how you guys' organization works but I gotta say y'all might just be the only hope the fans have at getting this thing turned around. All of the other owners seem to be dug in and refusing to budge; just look at the comments made by Jerry Jones if you don't believe me. I would like to think that in private circles that the owners are pushing for some change but considering the level of greed in this league it is probably unlikely. Raise hell folks! Tom Benson never pushed back and the results of that have shown in a seriously detrimental way. Take it to 'em! If for no other reason than just to protect your own team and the investment that you have made in them. I'm really sorry for what happened to you guys last night and for what happened to your team. Wishing you the best for the rest of the season.

PS: Please POUND the Bears!

http://whodatwarriors.com/2012/09/18/the-integrity-of-the-game/ (To the moderator- If I am not supposed to post a link please just remove it and not my comments. It was not an intentional effort to break any rules.)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heya WhodatD, thanks for the words. We'll be seeing you next week huh? It'll be a real Roger Goodell love-fest next Sunday with Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers just gushing with praise for our Commissioner and all the wonderful things he's done for this game over the last year. Hell, they should a half-time show in his honor!

If the Packers come out playing real mad against the Saints next week, don't take it personal. ;)

WhodatD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heya WhodatD, thanks for the words. We'll be seeing you next week huh? It'll be a real Roger Goodell love-fest next Sunday with Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers just gushing with praise for our Commissioner and all the wonderful things he's done for this game over the last year. Hell, they should a half-time show in his honor!

If the Packers come out playing real mad against the Saints next week, don't take it personal. ;)

ExpatPacker this weeks matchup was one of the ones I was most looking forward to this season 2nd only to the rematch with the 9ers. Now. . . .not so much. The team has been decapitated and they're PLAYING that way. I will always love the Saints and will still watch 'em every single time they play but while it IS possible they could turn it around and make a great season out of this whole debacle it's pretty unlikely. Regardless of what fans' opinions on the so-called "bounty-gate" might be there is one thing that could not be more clear- Roger Goodell is BAD for the NFL. It is the implementations of HIS policies that have gotten the league into the situation that it now finds itself. It is HIS fault that that the Packers are now sitting at 1-2. Hats off to the Seahags for a great defensive game (AND to the Pack for that matter) but here we are: instead of discussing a great defensive battle we are talking about one of (if not THE) worse calls in the history of the game. It's time for Rog to go.

poepoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a hardcore Seahawks fan, and I can say with near certainty that the ball was intercepted.

But here's the thing. The entire game was a joke. 24 penalties for over 250 yards. It's just ridiculous. Even before the controversial TD, the game just didn't seem legit to me. I was shaking my head more than I was cheering.

WhodatD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And a huge kudos to Rodgers for coming out today and saying what the league does NOT want to hear!

Sam92687

Cheesehead
Reaction score
****** Reacts To Replacement Refs (Golden Tate Touchdown)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ExpatPacker this weeks matchup was one of the ones I was most looking forward to this season 2nd only to the rematch with the 9ers. Now. . . .not so much. The team has been decapitated and they're PLAYING that way. I will always love the Saints and will still watch 'em every single time they play but while it IS possible they could turn it around and make a great season out of this whole debacle it's pretty unlikely. Regardless of what fans' opinions on the so-called "bounty-gate" might be there is one thing that could not be more clear- Roger Goodell is BAD for the NFL. It is the implementations of HIS policies that have gotten the league into the situation that it now finds itself. It is HIS fault that that the Packers are now sitting at 1-2. Hats off to the Seahags for a great defensive game (AND to the Pack for that matter) but here we are: instead of discussing a great defensive battle we are talking about one of (if not THE) worse calls in the history of the game. It's time for Rog to go.

We have to remember, of course, that Goodell represents the owners and it is they who decided on a lock-out, not Goodell. That being said, Goodell's tenure hasn't been good. You hit the Saints' organization with some severe penalties in the name of player safety, but then compromise that same safety by bringing in a bunch of incompetent high-school refs who can't possibly be expected to control the game? Pretty much reeks of hypocrisy. And the owners look like a bunch of greedy fat-cats who care only about money and not the integrity of the game.

Were I Goodell, if he is preaching the gospel of player safety, under these circumstances in which his message has been completely undermined, I would resign.

Cali's#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't bear it any longer, I almost read all your comments Hawk. Your just being ignorant to the fact. There is no way you can dispute this. ALL the evidence is there, all your seahawks and the fans know it, they just don't want to say their wrong. Why is it you guys are the only ones in the world that think otherwise?? Hmmmm............ *shrugs*

WhodatD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to remember, of course, that Goodell represents the owners and it is they who decided on a lock-out, not Goodell. That being said, Goodell's tenure hasn't been good. You hit the Saints' organization with some severe penalties in the name of player safety, but then compromise that same safety by bringing in a bunch of incompetent high-school refs who can't possibly be expected to control the game? Pretty much reeks of hypocrisy. And the owners look like a bunch of greedy fat-cats who care only about money and not the integrity of the game.

Were I Goodell, if he is preaching the gospel of player safety, under these circumstances in which his message has been completely undermined, I would resign.
I couln't agree more.

cmc0605

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tate wraps his arms around it BEFORE Jennings gets both feet on the ground. That's the key piece that everyone seems to lose sight of. Everyone is looking for the straw that breaks the proverbial back of this ridiculous referee lockout. It's hard to look at this objectively when you're actively rooting for these scrub refs to fail. This applies to most NFL fans and pretty much the entire sports media complex.

Not sure what game you watched, but we're talking about the GB-SEA game last night. The one where Jennings clearly intercepted the football, had two hands on it, and brought it to his chest, while Tate managed to have his arm around Jenning's body and have a hand on the football...only in an alternate universe is this a simultaneous catch. There's pretty much universal agreement on this, and has been widely discussed by former refs and ESPN.

you're defending the indefensible.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The correct call would have been made by the regular refs. Even if one of them had made the touchdown call, they would have conferred like they do, and reversed it. The game is just too fast for these incompetent replacements. Week after week now we just have to expect missed calls, defenses getting away with things and games being possibly affected like they were last night. The owners know that we will all keep complaining, yet gathering together to watch football every Sunday. Maybe we all should just boycott it until they fix it.

poepoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The replay officials are not replacements. A regular NFL employee made that call.

Dirrty Bear

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what game you watched, but we're talking about the GB-SEA game last night. The one where Jennings clearly intercepted the football, had two hands on it, and brought it to his chest (with his feet still in the air), while Tate managed to have his arm left hand around Jenning's body secured on the football and have a had his right hand on the football at the moment they landed on the ground both players had both hands on the ball...only in an alternate universe is this a simultaneous catch. Due to the universal detest for the scrub refs and the anxiety to bring the regular refs back, there's pretty much universal agreement on this, and has been widely discussed by former refs (who have an interest in siding with their union brothers) and ESPN, who over the years have clearly favored the NFL's national darlings (Cowboys, Packers, etc.)

you're defending the indefensible truth.

Here, fixed it for ya.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trolling, Trolling, Trolling!
The Pack has 13 games left to prove themselves.

But I'm sure when they fail to reach the playoffs this season, we'll all get to listen to their "classy" fans whine about how they got jobbed in Week 3 and nothing about the fact that their offense just can't seem to get it done.

Waaaaaaahhhhh.... Waaaaaahhhhhh!!

Yes A Troll!!!

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus Tate pushed off. That should have been called.

Exactly, there are two reasons who caught the game ending Hail Mary should have been moot. The fact Tate shoved Shields to the ground is one. The other is they may never have been in that situation in the first place if it weren't for the previous call of pass interference on Shields on 3rd and 25 when that was clearly offensive interference if anything.

Dirrty Bear

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cheeseheads should be angrier at the phantom calls that extended the previous drive to even get Seattle into scoring position. Now those were blatant, bad, wrong calls (especially the roughing the passer call which negated the interception).

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is with all these Seahawks fans trying to see something that isn't there? They got the win no matter what. The NFL clearly stated that no matter what, the call was wrong. It's probably because the Seahawks have never won a championship in their history. I always used to go after the Steelers for Super Bowl XL, but the Seahawks have become my new least favorite team.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks ExpatPacker, I'm not really trying to convince you guys that it is not a BOGUS call. In reality, I agree it is total BS. I would be livid if it was the other way around. At the same time though, I believe it IS a touchdown with the rules the way they are.

That said, that rule is total ********. Jennings made the catch, Tate tagged along the whole way and got just enough that by rule it's his. Honestly, some of these rules need to a) be less ambiguous and b) make ******* sense for whatever situation occurs in the game.

The rules need to be changed so that plays like this are an interception because this should have been one.
I'm having a hard time following your logic.
It looks like that you reluctantly agree that it's an INT.

And it's not the rules that need to change. It's the hiring of qualified scab refs.

Dirrty Bear

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did not have dual

Tate's arms are wrapped behind Jennings? WTF? His arms are CLEARLY wrapped around the ball, just like Jennings' arms.

Here's another video which shows a better view of Tate's arms establishing control of the ball.
http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video.html?freewheel=91052&sitesection=kcpq&VID=23823733

Also, tell me how that is not a simultaneous catch, but this is?

Members online

Latest posts