Wow!!! Colt Lyerla participating in rookie camp

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks are tough because they hit you in the mouth and don't wait for you to. They will be a top defense again this yr and I don't see why that would change.

It won't change. They will be a top defense for a long time. They're young. Earl Thomas and Sherman make up the best secondary in the league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Seahawks have lost fom their 2013 roster, offense and defense:
OT Breno giacomini
DT Clinton Mcdonald
FS chris maragos
WR golden tate
WR sidney rice
DE chris clemmons
DE red bryant

They wont be exactly the same, but they should be top 10-12 defense. Thing is, GOOD defensive coordinators figure things out and know how to combat them. If we have any chance at all in winning in their house, it will be from the added threat of a good ground and pound game helping to open up play action pass. Now seattle will have to lean on their offense a lot more this season to put up pointa as I think their D wont be as productive in helping to put points on the board. Which means russell wilson will actually have to stand in and throw the ball more times and like someone already said, Lynch is not the beast mode he used to be and RB age is creeping on him with a quickness. They will be contenders, but I HIGHLY doubt they will repeat or even go to the SB again this season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks are tough because they hit you in the mouth and don't wait for you to. They will be a top defense again this yr and I don't see why that would change.
I will make this prediction, the Seahawks will wind up a wild card team just eek into the playoffs and they will get beat in the first round. Their defense will give up significantly more points this coming season.

Why? Because many SB teams suffer the season after. Players sometime ease up after winning it all. Hey, you don't think they spent a some time celebrating with friends, families, and teammates - when the year before they were in the gym at that time? The heart of their defense is that incredible secondary. Now two of them have gotten their big $$$. Players sometime ease up after hitting the big payday. And Sherman strikes me as a very vein guy who would enjoy the 'good' life. I would worry about giving a lot of money. And all it takes in the secondary is for one player to not be effective for the whole defense to be exposed - kind of like us last season and MD Jennings.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will make this prediction, the Seahawks will wind up a wild card team just eek into the playoffs and they will get beat in the first round. Their defense will give up significantly more points this coming season.

Why? Because many SB teams suffer the season after. Players sometime ease up after winning it all. Hey, you don't think they spent a some time celebrating with friends, families, and teammates - when the year before they were in the gym at that time? The heart of their defense is that incredible secondary. Now two of them have gotten their big $$$. Players sometime ease up after hitting the big payday. And Sherman strikes me as a very vein guy who would enjoy the 'good' life. I would worry about giving a lot of money. And all it takes in the secondary is for one player to not be effective for the whole defense to be exposed - kind of like us last season and MD Jennings.

MD Jennings was NOT the only ineffective part to our D last year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MD Jennings was NOT the only ineffective part to our D last year.

1 ineffective part can make the entire defense look bad.

when u r shocked at how much better the D is this year and how much better ILBs and DLs are playing it won't be all beause of Peppers or players suddenly developing, it will be mostly Dix has some range and the D will no longer have to compensate for MD short-comings.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The led the league in points allowed, total and passing yards allowed and were tied for 7th in rushing yards allowed. I think it was very tough to gain any yards on them last season. Maybe the offensive coordinators should have asked you though as you seem to have the solution to move the ball against their defense.

I dont think there D-line is going to be what is was last year overall. Well see.

Also, if Finley is healthy and signed you could potentially see Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Finley, Lyerla all on the field at the same time in certain situations. Unstoppable.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think there D-line is going to be what is was last year overall. Well see.

Also, if Finley is healthy and signed you could potentially see Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Finley, Lyerla all on the field at the same time in certain situations. Unstoppable.
Lyerla has a long way to go before making this Te, let alone being a threat.

I could see him focusing and keeping his nose clean, he still will only be on STs for 2 or 3 years. TE is difficult and he didn't play or practice it much, or as much as most TEs coming out. Add to that he doesn't sound to smart by all accounts and I think TE production is at best a few years away.

I can also see him relapsing and freaking out and trying to snort the 20 yard line chalk on the first day of practice.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I could see him focusing and keeping his nose clean, he still will only be on STs for 2 or 3 years. TE is difficult and he didn't play or practice it much, or as much as most TEs coming out. Add to that he doesn't sound to smart by all accounts and I think TE production is at best a few years away.

I can also see him relapsing and freaking out and trying to snort the 20 yard line chalk on the first day of practice.

Before his coke incident this guy was going to be drafted in the upper 3 rounds... Not a toddler to the position or football.....

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Seahawks have lost fom their 2013 roster, offense and defense:
OT Breno giacomini
DT Clinton Mcdonald
FS chris maragos
WR golden tate
WR sidney rice
DE chris clemmons
DE red bryant

They wont be exactly the same, but they should be top 10-12 defense. Thing is, GOOD defensive coordinators figure things out and know how to combat them. If we have any chance at all in winning in their house, it will be from the added threat of a good ground and pound game helping to open up play action pass. Now seattle will have to lean on their offense a lot more this season to put up pointa as I think their D wont be as productive in helping to put points on the board. Which means russell wilson will actually have to stand in and throw the ball more times and like someone already said, Lynch is not the beast mode he used to be and RB age is creeping on him with a quickness. They will be contenders, but I HIGHLY doubt they will repeat or even go to the SB again this season.

I don´t understand why people think the Seahawks defense will drop to top 10-12 because they lost three rotational players on the defensive line where they have Jordan Hill (2013 3rd-round pick) and Jesse Williams (first round talent, but dropped because of injuries) waiting in the wings.

On the other side the Packers add a safety and a 34-year old pass rusher and people assume it´s a guarantee the defense will make a huge jump next season.

Get some perspective!!!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I´m not worried about the Packers offense at all, if Rodgers stays healthy they´ll be one of the top three in the league. The defense will have to step up big time for us to be a Super Bowl contender though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If he stays away from troubles Lyerla will be the Packers starting TE in week 1.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say being the starter Week 1 is a long shot but not impossible by any means. As Dylan Hoppe said, kid isn't completely new to the position and from all accounts had he played and played well this last year would have been snagged in the first 2 rounds for sure. If Mike has him on the 53 I can't see it being only for ST purposes. If he learns the playbook and showcases his skills I see no reason he won't be out there sooner than later and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of week 1. Skill and performance are what get you on the field in this league and if the kid looks the part, plays the part and stays in his lane I think he will surprise some people with how soon he is catching passes from 12. I just wonder if he makes the team and stays straight how long it will take for the sniffing the yard markers and "snow" game jokes to cease. I put the over/under on his 3rd season... GPG!!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say being the starter Week 1 is a long shot but not impossible by any means. As Dylan Hoppe said, kid isn't completely new to the position and from all accounts had he played and played well this last year would have been snagged in the first 2 rounds for sure. If Mike has him on the 53 I can't see it being only for ST purposes. If he learns the playbook and showcases his skills I see no reason he won't be out there sooner than later and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of week 1. Skill and performance are what get you on the field in this league and if the kid looks the part, plays the part and stays in his lane I think he will surprise some people with how soon he is catching passes from 12. I just wonder if he makes the team and stays straight how long it will take for the sniffing the yard markers and "snow" game jokes to cease. I put the over/under on his 3rd season... GPG!!
chance of Colt making the team is already slim. Chance of Finley coming back Good, chance of a raw FA beating him out - near zero.

Colt has 1st round talent but is very raw. He did very well in college relying on athletic skill alone. He will have great difficulties in understanding the playbook an developing route running skills. if hemakes the team, and I give him a 20% chance, he will be behind Finley, Q, and Bostick. And that is all even if he keeps his nose clean.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

chance of Colt making the team is already slim. Chance of Finley coming back Good, chance of a raw FA beating him out - near zero.

Colt has 1st round talent but is very raw. He did very well in college relying on athletic skill alone. He will have great difficulties in understanding the playbook an developing route running skills. if hemakes the team, and I give him a 20% chance, he will be behind Finley, Q, and Bostick. And that is all even if he keeps his nose clean.

IMO the chances of Lyerla making the team are far bigger than of Finley returning to the Packers. Even if he´s cleared by some teams (which I don´t think will happen) there´s close to no chance Dr. McKenzie will allow him to play again.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the chances of Lyerla making the team are far bigger than of Finley returning to the Packers. Even if he´s cleared by some teams (which I don´t think will happen) there´s close to no chance Dr. McKenzie will allow him to play again.
I forgot Rodgers as well.

And by 'liking' my SIG bet suggestion, I took that to mean the bet was on?

Only rules - it can't be profane or abusive. What I will make you do is something along the lines of "From now on I will trust the Amish Mafia regarding all things Packers."

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lyerla's already a good route runner when he applies himself. Smoother than most collegiate TEs. He just took plays off at Oregon when he knew he wasn't a primary target. (Chip Kelly often neglects his TEs and his Oregon program was a terrible place for TEs to develop, IMO.) Not sure what makes you think playbook comprehension is a problem.

Frankly, you're writing a narrative about Lyerla that doesn't really correspond to the reality. Colt has off field issues and the effort wasn't there on every play. Skill and smarts are not the issue.

Also, It's extremely optimistic to think that Finley is returning.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the decision regarding Finley's return to play is up to his operating surgeon. If the surgeon releases Finley all other team physicians will then offer their own opinions to the team they represent, but it is up to the team whether or not they sign an eligible player. The job of the team physician in this circumstance is that of an educated consultant--not the decision maker. Finley's surgeon has as much experience in Finley's condition as anyone in the league, and someone will sign Finley if he is released to play. But nobody will sign him if the surgeon does not release him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I´m not worried about the Packers offense at all, if Rodgers stays healthy they´ll be one of the top three in the league. The defense will have to step up big time for us to be a Super Bowl contender though.

How can you not be excited about the defense? You wanted Clinton-Dix and they got him so now Burnett can play closer to the kine. Peppers has been added. Hayward is coming back and was out all last year. Daniels is only getting better. Neal showed he can play. Datone Jones and Nick Perry should be better. Then we have added a couple 300 plus pounder that run under a 5.0 forty. The defense is getting faster.

Also, We don't need a top 5 defense to be a contender. More turnovers would be great.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t understand why people think the Seahawks defense will drop to top 10-12 because they lost three rotational players on the defensive line where they have Jordan Hill (2013 3rd-round pick) and Jesse Williams (first round talent, but dropped because of injuries) waiting in the wings.

On the other side the Packers add a safety and a 34-year old pass rusher and people assume it´s a guarantee the defense will make a huge jump next season.

Get some perspective!!!

Thank you

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lyerla's already a good route runner when he applies himself. Smoother than most collegiate TEs. He just took plays off at Oregon when he knew he wasn't a primary target. (Chip Kelly often neglects his TEs and his Oregon program was a terrible place for TEs to develop, IMO.) Not sure what makes you think playbook comprehension is a problem.

Frankly, you're writing a narrative about Lyerla that doesn't really correspond to the reality. Colt has off field issues and the effort wasn't there on every play. Skill and smarts are not the issue.

Also, It's extremely optimistic to think that Finley is returning.
Mike McCarthy - "In my mind he (Finley) is a Green Bay Packer - hopefully"

Sounds like MM is optimistic as well.

Perhaps I was a little tough on Colt. But I do think he has a long way to go before he is starting games for us.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1829535/colt-lyerla said:
wasn't asked to run a variety of routes in this offense. Relies on his athleticism rather than technique as a route-runner and blocker

www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/colt-lyerla?id=2543636 said:
Fluid route runner. Very good body control. Adjusts easily to the ball. Can create in the open field with very good run skills. Natural hands. Good catching radius. Functional blocker with enough playing strength to sustain. Highly competitive and determined to prove critics wrong. Is smart and hardworking.

There is definitely a difference of opinions out there.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In order for the Packers to be a top defense the mentality has to change on the defense. The Seahawks have good players on defense but they also have a different mentality when it comes to playing defense as well. They don't want the offense to carry them but have it the other way around. I think ours is that but in reverse. That's why once Capers is done the new guy has has to have that kind of mentality and refuse to be outdone by the offense and have the players in defense believing the same thing.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you not be excited about the defense? You wanted Clinton-Dix and they got him so now Burnett can play closer to the kine. Peppers has been added. Hayward is coming back and was out all last year. Daniels is only getting better. Neal showed he can play. Datone Jones and Nick Perry should be better. Then we have added a couple 300 plus pounder that run under a 5.0 forty. The defense is getting faster.

Also, We don't need a top 5 defense to be a contender. More turnovers would be great.

We have no idea how the packers will play on defense because all these guys your excited about either haven't played in the pros or have question marks because of age. That is our defense right now. A big question mark. I hope it's answered in a good way but we won't know until we see the team on the field.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he stays away from troubles Lyerla will be the Packers starting TE in week 1.
Ha I don't know about that. Think hes got a lot of work to do to be an everydown player/starter. Like getting a hold of his very prolonged and recent personal demons/issues. Like making the final roster. He's just a rookie, and he will have to be without incident to make the team.

The fact that all 31 other teams didn't take a chance on him even as an UDFA, when there are several teams that have no problem gambling on troubled players with upside, really says something. It's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that this kid messes up and is gone. I do believe it's worth a shot though because there's little downside for the team.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Well its been discussed he couldn't sign anywhere on the East Coast, and I believe if we replace Finley and Stoneburner with Rodgers and Lyerla things are going to work out fine. Rodgers as a guy who can catch and Lyerla as the physically aggressive TE. Both rookies, both with potential.

Members online

Latest posts