Wow!!! Colt Lyerla participating in rookie camp

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hawk is just fine, people rag on him, but I dont see why.....maybe because he does not live up to his draft position well enough for some people. I like the guy. He has good motor, VERY durable, leading taclker for years now, does not cost much, and like others have said - he had a damn good season last year without consistant support opposite him. Now brad jones on the other hand..... slow reaction time, poor tackling, lame duck, and over paid....what upside does he provide?

Just to put Hawk´s 2013 season in perspective, PFF ranked him 48th out of 55 ILBs last season, 52nd in run defense.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Only on paper. Never know how a team plays year to year anymore. So much parity.

That´s true. But as long as otherwise proven the Seahawks are the team to beat. They haven´t lost a lot of impact players from last season to think any other way.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don´t understand why you would feel better about the ILB position. Aside of some UDFAs the Packers haven´t added any talent at the position. There´s no guarantee any of those undrafted guys will even make the 53.

The penciled starters obviously aren't the best in the league but with everything improved all around them I think they do better. Plus there is a chance Bradford could end up there or someone else. There are quite a few LB's on roster. Well see what happens.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The penciled starters obviously aren't the best in the league but with everything improved all around them I think they do better. Plus there is a chance Bradford could end up there or someone else. There are quite a few LB's on roster. Well see what happens.

Bradford has never played ILB in college and the Packers have already come out and said he´ll play at OLB. There´s no reason to bring that up over and over again.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But the LBs with talent on the roster are OLBs who might as well be DEs when you talk about switching them to ILB. Bradford maybe, but as some have said, there's no evidence or facts showing he can even play ILB or anything but OLB and college DE for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
ILB and center are still huge question marks going into OTAs. Seattle is still the better team as of now.

I know the Seahawks roster as well as ours and I don't see it. This is a team that lost quite a few guys and really didn't add anything. Pre-draft I would of called it a push maybe. Not now. There offense isn't even on the same page as ours. Lynch is 28 and it has to start showing sooner then later. Offensive line is worse then last year. The defense will be good but won't be what it was last year. Chancellor just had hip surgery. There little 170 pound noodle 2nd round draft pick "Richardson" already hurt his shoulder W/O pads. It's not to serious but that guy is gonna get snapped. Talk about a 2nd round reach. There big 40 million dollar D-line is gone. I cant wait till Sherman get's smoked.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I know the Seahawks roster as well as ours and I don't see it. This is a team that lost quite a few guys and really didn't add anything. Pre-draft I would of called it a push maybe. Not now. There offense isn't even on the same page as ours. Lynch is 28 and it has to start showing sooner then later. Offensive line is worse then last year. The defense will be good but won't be what it was last year. Chancellor just had hip surgery. There little 170 pound noodle 2nd round draft pick "Richardson" already hurt his shoulder W/O pads. It's not to serious but that guy is gonna get snapped. Talk about a 2nd round reach. There big 40 million dollar D-line is gone. I cant wait till Sherman get's smoked.

I know you have been advocating this for a while. It´s been three and a half month since that defense held the best offense in NFL history to eight points. Their offense, while not being elite, put up as many points as the Packers (obviously without Rodgers for half of the season) did in 2013. They lost some guys on the DL, but have two talented draft picks out of the 2013 class to replace them. I don´t see any reason why the Packers should be considered the better team as of now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Bradford has never played ILB in college and the Packers have already come out and said he´ll play at OLB. There´s no reason to bring that up over and over again.

I know but there is 3 months between now and then. If you have all the components of Capers Hy-brid 3-4 defense working correctly all the middle linebackers really have to do is make tackles. On passing downs you can replace one of them with Hyde. I'm hoping somebody in camp is gonna show they can come up and tackle.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, we've taken a huge first step toward becoming the Raiders or Lions.
Come on man! I can respect the fact that you aren't feeling the fact we gave this kid a chance but the above statement is borderline treason. Take a look at Jolly if you would. He was given another chance and from all accounts has taken it and ran with it. We are talking about a guy that served time and was a full blown adult during the time of his transgressions. Would the prudent thing to do have been kick him to the curb in your opinion? Forget the fact that he had a pretty good year for us, the guy has turned his life around and is now a productive member of society. If we can give a grown-A-man another chance I just can't see why we can't give a youngster a chance to redeem himself as well. Your post would make one think that we are always trolling the wire for the latest pariah as long as they can help the team but that is nowhere near the truth. As the majority of us and one would assume the Packer brass feel, if the kid screws up he's gone with the quickness. However, if he can stay on the path he can not only be a good player for us but a contributing member of society. Win/Win in this guys eyes. Do your thing Colt and as always GPG!!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I know you have been advocating this for a while. It´s been three and a half month since that defense held the best offense in NFL history to eight points. Their offense, while not being elite, put up as many points as the Packers (obviously without Rodgers for half of the season) did in 2013. They lost some guys on the DL, but have two talented draft picks out of the 2013 class to replace them. I don´t see any reason why the Packers should be considered the better team as of now.

Right, and that's what the NFL stands for. "Not For Long". Name one dominate defense in the last 20 years that continued to dominate at that level? In today's game with free agency it's almost impossible to do. To many "moving parts"

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I know but there is 3 months between now and then. If you have all the components of Capers Hy-brid 3-4 defense working correctly all the middle linebackers really have to do is make tackles. On passing downs you can replace one of them with Hyde. I'm hoping somebody in camp is gonna show they can come up and tackle.

The ILBs have to drop into coverage as well. Even if you replace one of them with Hyde in obvious passing downs (which would result in the team playing a dime defense) the other one still has coverage responsibilites.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If all you have to do is come up and tackle, Lattimore would have been fine. It's a lot more instinctual than that. You have to know which gap to shoot, read play action, chase down running backs, play some zone and some man coverage, there's so much more to it. And in capers 3-4, you have to be able to rush the passer at basically every position on defense so you can't forget that.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Right, and that's what the NFL stands for. "Not For Long". Name one dominate defense in the last 20 years that continued to dominate at that level? In today's game with free agency it's almost impossible to do. To many "moving parts"

The Seahawks have lost three rotational players on the DL while extending all of their core players on defense. I don´t see any reason to believe their defense won´t be able to be dominant again in 2014.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Baltimore. Pittsburgh. They both had strong defenses for a long, Long period of time.

PS: NFL stands for national football league ;)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Baltimore. Pittsburgh. They both had strong defenses for a long, Long period of time.

PS: NFL stands for national football league ;)

Yeah right. Not at the dominance the Seahawks D was at last year. Not year in and year out. No way.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah right. Not at the dominance the Seahawks D was at last year. Not year in and year out. No way.
So because a team figures it out, that makes it impossible to repeat? Nobody thought a team could dominate the Super Bowl like belicheck and Brady have as a duo either and check out their showcase. There are new records broken every year, the teams in the NFL are always getting better. Schemes are changing, players getting smarter, coaches getting smarter. There's no way to predict that Seattle is going to have a worse defense than last year. No way.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Steelers twice allowed fewer points than the Seahawks last season and a single point more than them in another season over a four year span from 2008-11.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Steelers twice allowed fewer points than the Seahawks last season and a single point more than them in another season over a four year span from 2008-11.

Seahawks D was successful because of "turnovers" and "scoring points". You can run it right down there throat. Tired of people bringing up Denver and there "gimmick offense". They had no power running game and Manning can't get ball down field.

Rodgers and Lacy are going to shut that place up. Take it to the bank.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Seahawks D was successful because of "turnovers" and "scoring points". You can run it right down there throat.

The led the league in points allowed, total and passing yards allowed and were tied for 7th in rushing yards allowed. I think it was very tough to gain any yards on them last season. Maybe the offensive coordinators should have asked you though as you seem to have the solution to move the ball against their defense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks are tough because they hit you in the mouth and don't wait for you to. They will be a top defense again this yr and I don't see why that would change.

Members online

Latest posts