Wow!!! Colt Lyerla participating in rookie camp

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I really hope the Packers take a chance on Lyerla. The guy is an absolute beast.
No news is probably bad news. I have a bad feeling he would be under contract now if we wanted him.

Hope he gets another shot somewhere.

I guess I like to root for the underdog.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep hearing the Steelers name pop up. With our need and as I have argued relative low risk I can't for the life of me see why they wouldn't give him a shot. If he goes to the Steelers or anywhere else for that matter and balls out I am going to be sick to my stomach. As AM states above I too am puling for him but I just hope he's wearing the right colors if and when he completes his transformation! Come on Ted, make it happen.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably isn't bad to give this guy a shot. Even two bad "character" guys on a team is a legit concern, but having one guy with issues among an assortment of high character guys can't be all that bad. Also, they have absolutely nothing invested in him...if he messes up he's gone. Didn't lose a draft pick, signing bonus or anything else. Pretty straight forward.

The only negative I can think of is if he really did great and becomes a Pro Bowl caliber player and then you have to potentially sign him to a big deal...that would be a tough call. Cross that bridge when we come to it I guess...give the kid a shot.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won´t comment on this topic anymore as this is a Packers forum and I´m here to talk about football.

But, geez, I was shocked reading a comment like that coming from a certified nurse who´s actually there to help people.
I don't have to call drug addiction a disease in order to help them. Calling it a disease just gives them another excuse to continue on with it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and I don't care about court-ordered drug tests. If I'm TT and sticking my neck out for Lyerla, I'm going to stand one foot away and personally watch the guy pull it out, go in the cup, and hand it to the technician. I'm then paying the technician a crisp $500 bill each time to ensure that the tests are done right.

No need for the $500. There are cups that have the test strips built right into them. Since they're made to err on the side of false positives, if they show negative, then he's clean. If they show positive, then you send it to a lab for verification.

I would require tests at 3 times per week for one month and then at least 2 random tests every week until he shows clean for 3 consecutive months.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colt signing imminent:

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1403575.html

There is a market here for a camp for troubled athletes. I would put it on 80 acres in northern Wisconsin and it would be part training facility and part rehab center. It would be completely removed from society by its remoteness and give a chance for these guys to better understand the fundamentals of life without the confusion of technology and current askew societal views. Teams would sign guys like Colt with the restriction that they had to live at the center for the next 2 years when away from football.

Hmmm, probably are places like this - but in California. Okay, who is in? I will probably need 5 investors at $1M each.

You being serious? I'm in!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good. With his immense upside, I don’t think it would have made sense to bring him in for a tryout and then not sign him. Unless he was injured, snorting something in the locker room, or participating in gang related murders. ;)

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm impressed with TT for making this move. This could be the Packers' Vontaze Burfict moment,and with Jermichael unlikely to return and Richard Rodgers a developmental player, this could turn into one of the best picks of the 2014 draft for GB.

It's worth a shot.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully, A) he makes the final roster or at least to pre-season games and then B) gets a # in the 80-89 range.
I suggest limiting it to the 81-89 range. #80 has a special place in my heart and I'd really hate to see that f***ed up at some point down the road.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If hes truly cleaned up and has his head on straight, he makes the final 53 and ends up being a big part of our offense.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this:

Had we DRAFTED Lyerla and Adrian Hubbard with 7th round picks, I guarantee you that some, or a lot of the pundits, the draft guys on TV and Sportsline and ESPN, etc. would have graded our draft even higher.

Again, grades don't mean anything until 2, 3, 4, 5 years have passed really. Although they can after just one season too.

A year ago, these 2 guys were projected to both be top-50 draft prospects.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this:

Had we DRAFTED Lyerla and Adrian Hubbard with 7th round picks, I guarantee you that some, or a lot of the pundits, the draft guys on TV and Sportsline and ESPN, etc. would have graded our draft even higher.

Again, grades don't mean anything until 2, 3, 4, 5 years have passed really. Although they can after just one season too.

Yeah. I'd say we won the "UDFA Draft"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'll say this:

There´s no doubt both of them have the potential to turn into impact players for the Packers. Especially Lyerla would be a huge upgrade compared to other players on the roster right now.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best part of the signing is that I no longer have to hear people talk about how a guy isn't "Packer people". If the Packers are willing to sign this guy, then moral issues obviously aren't a determining factor in personnel decisions.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best part of the signing is that I no longer have to hear people talk about how a guy isn't "Packer people". If the Packers are willing to sign this guy, then moral issues obviously aren't a determining factor in personnel decisions.
I think that would be a leap.

If you sandwich a bad apple with a bunch of good eggs, you safer than several bad apples together. Multiple bad apples and you have a bad synergy and things will more likely head south.

sandwich apple eggs - is it easy to tell when I post right before I eat?

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that would be a leap.

If you sandwich a bad apple with a bunch of good eggs, you safer than several bad apples together. Multiple bad apples and you have a bad synergy and things will more likely head south.

sandwich apple eggs - is it easy to tell when I post right before I eat?
Would have been easier to just post "Detroit Lions"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk