Wow!!! Colt Lyerla participating in rookie camp

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I forgot Rodgers as well.

And by 'liking' my SIG bet suggestion, I took that to mean the bet was on?

Only rules - it can't be profane or abusive. What I will make you do is something along the lines of "From now on I will trust the Amish Mafia regarding all things Packers."

This thread suddenly got more interesting. I, for one, am hoping that the Captain accepts this bet! Because, for us amused bystanders, we get to watch someone lose the bet and have to endure a season of AWESOME SIGs...

Come on, Cap! Do it.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks have lost fom their 2013 roster, offense and defense:
OT Breno giacomini
DT Clinton Mcdonald
FS chris maragos
WR golden tate
WR sidney rice
DE chris clemmons
DE red bryant

They wont be exactly the same, but they should be top 10-12 defense. Thing is, GOOD defensive coordinators figure things out and know how to combat them. If we have any chance at all in winning in their house, it will be from the added threat of a good ground and pound game helping to open up play action pass. Now seattle will have to lean on their offense a lot more this season to put up pointa as I think their D wont be as productive in helping to put points on the board. Which means russell wilson will actually have to stand in and throw the ball more times and like someone already said, Lynch is not the beast mode he used to be and RB age is creeping on him with a quickness. They will be contenders, but I HIGHLY doubt they will repeat or even go to the SB again this season.

They resigned Sidney Rice (torn ACL last year), but lost CBs Walter Thurmond and
Brandon Browner. In addition, their bye week is early, week 4 I believe.

I'm going to guess they go 10-6 and are a wildcard team.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy - "In my mind he (Finley) is a Green Bay Packer - hopefully"

Sounds like MM is optimistic as well.

Sounds like MM knows how to say the right things to the press.

Nothing wrong with optimism. It just seems like the Packers are very cautious with spinal injuries and all the roster moves signal that they're preparing to go forward without Finley.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They resigned Sidney Rice (torn ACL last year), but lost CBs Walter Thurmond and
Brandon Browner. In addition, their bye week is early, week 4 I believe.

I'm going to guess they go 10-6 and are a wildcard team.

Sydney Rice is Garbage.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would be more worried going up against the Niners D-line or the Rams D-line then the Seahawks. The Hawks wont consistently get pressure with 4 this year. They will have to blitz. There big corners become a liability if they cant get pressure with 4. They wont win there division this year and probably miss the playoffs. Either way there not gonna get home-field. Toast.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

How can you not be excited about the defense? You wanted Clinton-Dix and they got him so now Burnett can play closer to the kine. Peppers has been added. Hayward is coming back and was out all last year. Daniels is only getting better. Neal showed he can play. Datone Jones and Nick Perry should be better. Then we have added a couple 300 plus pounder that run under a 5.0 forty. The defense is getting faster.

Also, We don't need a top 5 defense to be a contender. More turnovers would be great.

I agree that we don´t need a top 5 defense to be a contender. I´m excited the Packers got Clinton-Dix and Hayward will for sure make the secondary better as well if he can stay healthy.

I´m not convinced Peppers will have a huge impact though and I doubt the run defense has improved at all by getting rid of Pickett and Jolly and not adding any other pick guys or upgrading the ILB position.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Mike McCarthy - "In my mind he (Finley) is a Green Bay Packer - hopefully"

Sounds like MM is optimistic as well.

Perhaps I was a little tough on Colt. But I do think he has a long way to go before he is starting games for us.

I´m sure McCarthy would love to have Finley back. He can´t do anything about his medical condition though.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1829535/colt-lyerla said:
wasn't asked to run a variety of routes in this offense. Relies on his athleticism rather than technique as a route-runner and blocker

Rob Rang named Rob Gronkowski as the player comparing best to Lyerla´s talent level in the same article. I would be excited if it would work out that way.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Ha I don't know about that. Think hes got a lot of work to do to be an everydown player/starter. Like getting a hold of his very prolonged and recent personal demons/issues. Like making the final roster. He's just a rookie, and he will have to be without incident to make the team.

The fact that all 31 other teams didn't take a chance on him even as an UDFA, when there are several teams that have no problem gambling on troubled players with upside, really says something. It's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that this kid messes up and is gone. I do believe it's worth a shot though because there's little downside for the team.

There´s no doubt he has to overcome a lot of obstacles to even make the team. But talent-wise the guy would have been a first-round pick.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m sure McCarthy would love to have Finley back. He can´t do anything about his medical condition though.

Rob Rang named Rob Gronkowski as the player comparing best to Lyerla´s talent level in the same article. I would be excited if it would work out that way.
interesting. But even Gronk did not start as a rookie till the 7th game. Myabe he was injured, i dont recall. the Pats had a bigger need and Gronk was much more NFL ready.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Not surprisingly Lyerla's deal didn't include a signing bonus, three-year minimum deal

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
how do we know he is? How do we know he will adapt to NFL speed? How do we know he will adequately prepare? We are all ill-informed amateurs with limited resources, eexpressing our opinions.
RIGHT!!! I agree, so there is no reason to be thrilled about this guy or any real reason to hate on him or belittle any unknown abilities. Some guys just can't adjust, some guys pick it up quickly. If he was compared to Gronk, that is a damn good thing.....because Gronk was said to be raw and unready and look what he did with Brady.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RIGHT!!! I agree, so there is no reason to be thrilled about this guy or any real reason to hate on him or belittle any unknown abilities. Some guys just can't adjust, some guys pick it up quickly. If he was compared to Gronk, that is a damn good thing.....because Gronk was said to be raw and unready and look what he did with Brady.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I am definitely rooting for the guy. And I hope he makes the team. I just think the likelihood of him starting are near zero. I don't see any problem with expressing my opinion, that is why we are all here. I hit some and I miss on some as well.

If a poster here thinks they know how a player will do - definitively - then there is probably an issue there. Some are certain that they know more than a room full of professional evaluators/ trainers/ coaches/ etc.

It is all in fun.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man! I can respect the fact that you aren't feeling the fact we gave this kid a chance but the above statement is borderline treason.

Actually, it was sarcasm. You'd do well to learn to recognize it, Sheldon.

Take a look at Jolly if you would. He was given another chance and from all accounts has taken it and ran with it. We are talking about a guy that served time and was a full blown adult during the time of his transgressions. Would the prudent thing to do have been kick him to the curb in your opinion? Forget the fact that he had a pretty good year for us, the guy has turned his life around and is now a productive member of society. If we can give a grown-A-man another chance I just can't see why we can't give a youngster a chance to redeem himself as well.

Apples and oranges. If the cocaine was the only factor, you would a point. There's also the complete lack of discipline, the frequent breaking of team rules (at OREGON for God's sake!), quitting on his team mid-season for whatever reason (NO excuse there), and of course the deplorable things he said about the parents of kids who were shot at Sandy Hook. And I haven't seen any evidence he was under the influence of any kind of drug at the time he said it.

By the way, don't give me the nonsense about Jolly being an adult and Lyerla not being a "full blown" adult (whatever the hell that is.) Lyerla was a couple weeks shy of 21 when he got caught with the coke. He was an ADULT. And since age is a mitigating factor for you, your comparison is flawed anyway. Jolly's problem with codeine started when he was in high school... you know, when he wasn't an adult. Jolly also never had the team discipline problems and quitting attitude Lyerla has.

Just as Hernandez is on a whole other level of deviance than Lyerla, Lyerla is on a whole other level of deviance than Jolly.

Do your thing Colt and as always GPG!!

Well... the GOOD things anyway. I hope I'm wrong, but the more I read on Lyerla, the more concerning it is. If he's incident-free 3 years down the road, I'll gladly eat my hat.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before his coke incident this guy was going to be drafted in the upper 3 rounds... Not a toddler to the position or football.....

I don't think anyone is denying his potential, but there are plenty who are denying his potential for problems.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

interesting. But even Gronk did not start as a rookie till the 7th game. Myabe he was injured, i dont recall. the Pats had a bigger need and Gronk was much more NFL ready.

Gronkowski actually started in Week 1 and a total of 10 games during his rookie season.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason I just don't see Finley playing football again, at least not with us. I like the competition at TE now though and I hope Colt can keep his head down because I'm curious to see how he will translate into the NFL. I tell you guys what, this year I might actually watch all of the pre-season games because I'm gonna want to see how some of these guys perform. Should be really interesting.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly worth a look but from what I've read the questions about him certainly aren't on the field. What I didn't see in the linked story is any comment that Lyerla is committed to kicking his drug habit. He wasn’t interviewed for that piece and may not be talking to the press at all, but if he isn’t completely committed to changing his life… IMO the most important part of his tryout will be trying to get a read on his mental and emotional state.
Addiction recovery, especially at his age, and as a pro athlete with temptation in every town will be very hard. I wish him the best and he is in a supportive organization - look no further than Brett Favre or Johnny Jolly. Talented guy but he must realize that recovery starts with realizing you have a problem, asking for help, and taking advice. Good luck young man. In spite of your past mistakes, this takes courage. For him personally, whether he ever catches a pass, I hope he is successful.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I didn't say he was good, just said they resigned him. The two CB's the Seahawks lost
in free agency, Thurmond and Browner, were quality players and I think will come
back to hurt them.

Probably so, every year at least one or two of there guys in there secondary get caught for PED's.

Last edited:

Latest posts