Would you trade Ferguson to the Eagles?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other day I read how the Eagles would be looking for a receiver with the season ending injury to Pinkston, and with the uncertainty of TO. The writer mentioned the Packers, Bucs, and I think Denver as possible trading partners because they all run a similar offensive system as Philly.

I think the teams he mentioned was just speculating on the writers part, but it got me thinking. The Eagles and Packers have made trades in the past. And if we were to trade a receiver, Ferguson might be the most logical candidate if the Packers wanted to make a trade. We have Driver and Walker as starters. Murphy is a rookie with potential. Chatman is dependable and can be used to return kicks. So we have some depth at the position to maybe trade one for some defensive help. It will probably never happen, but I was just curious what others thought about it.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
The other day I read how the Eagles would be looking for a receiver with the season ending injury to Pinkston, and with the uncertainty of TO. The writer mentioned the Packers, Bucs, and I think Denver as possible trading partners because they all run a similar offensive system as Philly.

I think the teams he mentioned was just speculating on the writers part, but it got me thinking. The Eagles and Packers have made trades in the past. And if we were to trade a receiver, Ferguson might be the most logical candidate if the Packers wanted to make a trade. We have Driver and Walker as starters. Murphy is a rookie with potential. Chatman is dependable and can be used to return kicks. So we have some depth at the position to maybe trade one for some defensive help. It will probably never happen, but I was just curious what others thought about it.

Absolutely...Robert Ferguson for Jeremiah Trotter.

The Packers then would have a real MLB.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's an intriguing idea, Arizona. It's encouraging to think that our #3 would be their best receiver by far if T.O. doesn't come back. And the Eagles have a lot of talent on defense, which the Packers are in need of. I would still be hesitant, though, because if Walker or Driver goes down I wouldn't want to rely on Chatman or Murphy as starters. Plus, Ferguson could really come back to haunt us. So I guess I wouldn't do it unless the price was very high. Besides, why bail Philly out of a desperate situation?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. Fergie is a good special teams guy an is fearless over the middle not to mention he plays through most of his injuries an playes better that a lot of WR who are not injured.
You never help out the opposition and that is exactly what the Eagles are. It would have to benefit the Packers dramatically for it to even remotely considered.

Fergie plus zero cap hit
for
Lito Sheppard and 2nd or 1st rd draft pick.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur that's an intriguing idea. Ferguson is also in the final year of his contract...but it would only work if the Packers could get something in return....
Corey Simon?(sorry...just dreaming)

It would be tough to trade a guy to a team that you might face in the playoffs...

but I think Andy Reid would welcome Ferguson and it would provide Ferguson with a chance he might not have in Green Bay with Walker and Driver.

Ferguson is also one of Green Bay's better special teams players and a tough, hard nosed guy, something the team has in short supply.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure Fergy is in his last year? Didn't he sign that extension about a year ago?

As has been said, good ST, don't want to face him in the playoffs, what if JW, or DD go down? For these reasons, and Philly being much more desperate, I'd say only if the trade is weighted in the Packer's favor.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
sorry steel wool, already got someone at MLB

Couldn't agree more. Barnett will be fine at MLB for the Packers. If they get their hands on a MLB in the future, he would be best served on the outside. Until that day comes, the Packers will have a solid MLB in Barnett.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I just read in the paper the same thing.It said that the eagles might try to do a trade with the packers. They have done many before,Fergie for a player and/or a draft pick. The paper says the eagles are done with T.O. he will not be comming back on the team.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
I am with steel on this. Trotter would be a great pick up.

It wouldn't be the first time the Pack went after him either....

It seems like ppl are tearing down steel w/out even reading what he says. Very few on these boards, or in the organization deny that Barnett would be better suited on the outside, yet steel is getting blasted for suggesting what everyone thinks. Adding a true mlb, and moving Barnett outside would be beneficial.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy, it is not what he says, but how he goes about it. I agree with some of his points, but his whole gig is to drop bombs that will inevitably be responded to so that he can have his little moment to play victim in the whole thing.

Personally, I like Ferguson...... his hands, underestimated speed and most importantly, his toughness. His toughness sets a tone for the team, and as such, he is a quiet but effective leader. Don't know if we want to part with that right about the time he has shown he is coming out to make some noise this season.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
I am with steel on this. Trotter would be a great pick up.

You do recall how well Trotter did outside of the JJ system haven't you? Remember him with I believe Redskins?

He's a system player, he works great in that system and I wouldn't trust him outside of it.

We already have a MLB his name is Barnet, he's a pretty young guy too, could possibly be another Zach Thomas under Bates.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watching Trotter on the fleagles he looked good. System or not, maybe he has gotten better with the experience of the skins and maturing in philly. He makes plays. He doesn't seem to miss open field tackles like barnet did last night, and last season. Not saying that Barnet isn't good, but move him outside where his speed can be used to hunt down the runs, and put someone more solid in the middle.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Ferggie also but would do what is best for the team. For that to happen the trade would have to be weighted heavily in our favor. I believe Philly in their situation now is worse off than we are. To give them Ferggie helps them out tremendeously, therefore I would want a good established defensive player and first rd or second and fourth rd pick(s) in return. If we are not going to get an established player then I would want multiple draft picks like 1,3 and 5.Something like that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Just watching Trotter on the fleagles he looked good. System or not, maybe he has gotten better with the experience of the skins and maturing in philly. He makes plays. He doesn't seem to miss open field tackles like barnet did last night, and last season. Not saying that Barnet isn't good, but move him outside where his speed can be used to hunt down the runs, and put someone more solid in the middle.

He was highly sout after before he left for the Redskins and flopped too. No question he's a stud, but seeing how badly he flopped the last time he left I would have to put that into consideration before trading a guy like Fergie.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slick, you make a good point about trotter...~ 3 yrs. ago the Pack decided between JJ and Trotter...both turned out to be duds. W/ Trot, I'm not sure if it was system, arrogance, whatever, but that is cause for concern.

Packertraxx...I agree, Eagles are desperate, whether they admit it or not, so whichever team's receiver they pursue has the leverage, and if that team happens to be the Pack, and it happens to be Fergy, with his upside, the Pack need to make sure the trade favors them.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are desperate ,,, wel let them drown in their own mistakes.

If your enemy is making a mistake DONT EVER stop or even warn him..so if they are paying for their mistakes why should we trade a proven player for a wannabe draft pick or a wannabe defensive player... NO WAY LET THEM DROWN !!!

Best luck Packers....

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
If they are desperate ,,, wel let them drown in their own mistakes.

If your enemy is making a mistake DONT EVER stop or even warn him..so if they are paying for their mistakes why should we trade a proven player for a wannabe draft pick or a wannabe defensive player... NO WAY LET THEM DROWN !!!

Best luck Packers....

The reason why we should consider a trade is because what happens if a team that doesn't have to play Philly or worry about them till superbowl pulls a trade? Then we get nothing out of our depth at WR and philly still fixes their problem. Obviously we should only do this if the price favors the Packers, but I don't believe that we should avoid a trade because we feel that we can stop Philly from getting out of this hole.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about this possible trade even where Najeh was interjected into the mix as a possible victim of being traded to the Eagles. I say if we can get a Defensive starter, worthy starter we can afford to let Fergie go. I think he is a good player but man we have some nice depth in that area not to mention one of the best NFL QB's ever who makes our WR even better.

Must add in the Favre factor for our WR!!

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize the Eagles were actually interested in trading for Ferguson when I started this thread. I just kind of threw it out there on a whim because I knew the Eagles are getting desperate for receivers.

On the one hand I'd hate to see Fergy go, because he plays hard and I still think he might have a chance to develop into a good receiver if he can stay healthy. But with 2nd round pick Murphy waiting in the wings, and with Chatman as a security blanket, I wouldn't mind trading Fergy if we can get a quality defender in return because it's one position we have some depth at.

My one fear though would be Driver or Walker gets hurt like a few posters mentioned and we wouldn't have Fergy to fill in, but that can happen at any position so it's kind of the chance you take.

Members online

Latest posts