Would you take a chance on Janoris Jenkins

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Well documented off the field issues, but tremendously talented. If he happened to fall to the second round, would he be worth drafting or would you look for another DB who is perhaps not quite as talented with a clean nose?

Word now is that he was fired by his previous agent and has since signed with another along with his numerous other incidents. So in all probability he just may be around when we pick in the 2nd round.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is his own man and not the puppet of some huge crew of "friends" I would be more than fine with him. Green Bay is a great city for a troubled player to mature and learn how to be a man and a professional. I could not think of a finer role model and mentor than C Wood. He just has to go all in and can't be like Jolly who would retreat home to his crew.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If he is his own man and not the puppet of some huge crew of "friends" I would be more than fine with him. Green Bay is a great city for a troubled player to mature and learn how to be a man and a professional. I could not think of a finer role model and mentor than C Wood. He just has to go all in and can't be like Jolly who would retreat home to his crew.

Right on about Woodson. As a leader of our team who doesn't take any crap, he'd be a great mentor for someone like him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.

I have put some thought into this the past day or so and I struggle to think where a troubled kid coming out of college didnt cause headaches for the team. Michael Irvin was the only one that came to mind but I am sure they are more.

In GB its different, these players represent the team and all that it stands for. I doubt Lombardi would take a flier on someone this troubled.

I say that as a 1st round pick, but as a 2nd I wouldnt have a problem with them taking a chance on him. Doubt he last past the 40th pick though.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He has shown incredible recompense for his actions and insists that he has changed. NO. One of the other teams who don't care as much about character (Detroit and New England come to mind) will take a chance on him and we'll see how it turns out.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like thugs like him, no thanks.
There's a lot more to success in the NFL than pure talent alone. This kid's an @sshole, and not a hard worker.

Send him to Cinci.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I would consider "taking it a chance". I think he is an excellent CB.

Reminds me a lot of Asante Samuel. I really like him if he drops to the second I would definitely take a chance on him.

A lot of players have character issues coming into the NFL, but I think in the right atmosphere with the right people around him and good coaches they can change.

The one thing out of all his off the field blunders isn't the drug charger or bar fights. It's the fact that he can't keep in in his pants. I think the guy has fathered like 4 kids with 3 different broads. If he's not careful he could surpass Cromartie

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of players have character issues coming into the NFL, but I think in the right atmosphere with the right people around him and good coaches they can change.
True, most can change. Many don't though. I believe the headache, and roster-problems caused by Johnny Jolly not being able to change will cause Thompson to simply not include this scum on his draft board.

We'll see, although most likely he won't be there when we pick in round 2 anyway.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is worth a shot maybe by the 3rd or 4th round where the risk isn't as great.

Thing is...to invest a 1st or 2nd rounder in the guy and "hope for the best" off the field is very risky. Typically if these guys are having this kind of trouble in college, it only gets compounded with the fame and money that comes with playing in the pros.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has Antonio Cromartie written all over him... Tons of talent, but too much bagage... The guy has like four kids already and got kicked out of Florida... You need to try to get thrown out of Florida

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go back to 2008 draft. In the 2nd round you had a ton of talent. But at WR you had Nelson royal and Jackson. Now some will disagree but IMO jackson was the most talented of the 3 without question. But would I take Jackson over Nelson? No. Too much baggage too many headaches.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has Antonio Cromartie written all over him... Tons of talent, but too much bagage... The guy has like four kids already and got kicked out of Florida... You need to try to get thrown out of Florida

And then he went to Northwest Arkansas or wherever to avoid having to enter the supplemental draft...and what did he he do when he got there so he could tell NFL teams he was grown up and ready for the pros? He smoked a bunch of pot.

A kid like this is like a Pacman Jones-ish kind of guy who just makes bad decisions over and over...it's a part of who he is. Lots of teams have said (off the record) he's off their boards...and I'm sure the Packers are one of them.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like thugs like him, no thanks.
There's a lot more to success in the NFL than pure talent alone. This kid's an @sshole, and not a hard worker.

Send him to Cinci.
As I said, no thanks. This headline out today on Janoris: http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescr...tinued-drug-use-at-North-Alabama/Default.aspx

Troubled cornerback Jenoris Jenkins admitted to continuing drug use after transferring to the University of North Alabama according to Albert Breer of NFL Network.

"It's not just his personal situation with the kids and different moms. This is a multiple offender of the drug policy in college, and it's not like there were no character concerns at North Alabama," said one AFC personnel executive. "He had multiple opportunities to get away from it. He didn't at Florida, and he went to North Alabama and he wasn't clean there.

"You just wish the situation at North Alabama was clean, that he had a rebirth, from a personal and football character standpoint. But it was more of the same."
Again, many people seem to think smoking pot is no big deal at all, that's it's safer than getting drunk, etc.

The problem here is that it's illegal and it can lead to players being suspended, plus lazy, missing meetings, just shows a lack of discipline.

However, I have a strong source who told me about 5, 6, 7, years ago that LaDanian Tomlinson smoked pot on a daily basis... and he seemed to have a fine career. So I don't know what to think.... if they just don't get suspended, maybe it's okay?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, Charles would not put up with him acting a fool in the secondary.

Baltimore could be a good fit for him. Try acting reckless in that locker room with the king of the jungle in there, good luck.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this guy is necessarily a thug. He's just dumb and immature. I would pass unless he's available in the 3rd round, which he actually might be. He, IMO will certainly drop into the 2nd round because he's too much of a gamble to use a 1st rd pick on. The guy does have talent though, no doubt about it.

Members online

Latest posts