Would you support a packers game in London?

Would you support a Packers game outside of the US?

• YES!

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • No.

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you guys support a Packers game if it was in London or somewhere else on foreign soil?

Positives - worldwide exposure, new fans, maybe sell more items and make the team some more $.

Negatives - could lose a home game. Travel would be killer. The time of the game might be off for fans watching back home in the USA.

So... what do you think?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
We need a "I'm not sure" option!

Doesn't NFL stand for "National Football League"??

Will it then be INFL? hmmm

Eis Bowl

Touchdown Artist
Reaction score
I say no. I don't think any team should be doing this. It messes with the team schedule and workouts too much and the home fans get left out.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If every team did it every year. Games in Los Angeles, Mexico, Argentina, Canuckland, London, Munich, Brisbane. Why not. I would play on Thurs or Friday following the bye week for travel time and jet lag. Instead of an 18 game schedule, maybe stay at 17 with this being a way to keep the home - road games even for everyone. Heck even Minnesota might get a game between two professional teams this way.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If every team did it every year. Games in Los Angeles, Mexico, BRAZIL, Canuckland, London, Munich, Brisbane. Why not. I would play on Thurs or Friday following the bye week for travel time and jet lag. Instead of an 18 game schedule, maybe stay at 17 with this being a way to keep the home - road games even for everyone. Heck even Minnesota might get a game between two professional teams this way.

Corrected it. ;)

GaryGnu

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is meant by "support" in this question?

Do I want to Pack to play in London - No
Do I think it would help the team or organization - No

but I do support the team during every game, home or away.... so??????

jamie97520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course we should support such games. Allowing the Green Bay Packers (and the NFL) to acquire fans in other nations is very important and can only be a plus for the organization. The distance from the East Coast to London is only a few hours longer than say the distance from Seattle to Miami so travelling cant be considered much of an issue. Losing a home game is unfortunate but financially it is worth it.

It is all part of this globalized world we live in. I think there will eventually be a Foreign Franchise in the NFL.

I grew up in England and followed Green Bay as much as i could (thanks to relatives in Wisconsin) and there are fans there who deserve the chance to see a game.

Jamie
Twitter - j_h_stewart

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh, if they did play outside of the US it would be either Toronto or London, both of which are not any closer than Green Bay is to me in the first place so I don't care either way.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is meant by "support" in this question?

Do I want to Pack to play in London - No
Do I think it would help the team or organization - No

but I do support the team during every game, home or away.... so??????

everyone else seemed to understand the question...

You must be a bears fan.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would support the Packers no matter where they played because they are my team. I may not be able to watch or go to the game, but they are still my team and deserve my unconditional loyalty and support.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I don't think that I would prefer it if they have to give up a home game and the local fans lose out, but I would certainly support the Pack anywhere and everywhere they play.

jamie97520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Double C4 , if that is your approach then i am afraid you are going to be left behind in this world. Pull your finger out and get up to date with the times! Basketball is an American game too but did you see how many International players got drafted this year???? 5 out of the top 10.

Jamie
twitter - j_h_stewart

DoubleC4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Double C4 , if that is your approach then i am afraid you are going to be left behind in this world. Pull your finger out and get up to date with the times! Basketball is an American game too but did you see how many International players got drafted this year???? 5 out of the top 10.

Jamie
twitter - j_h_stewart

Basketball is more widely recognized than American football, your comparing apples to oranges here. How many international players were in the top 10 of the NFL draft? I just hate the fact that a team has to lose a home game to go play in another country.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Absolutely not, this is an American game and it generates billions of dollars. I don't care if the British buy into the game. It's great if it happens but no. I still can't conceive of denying any home teams fans one single game of a year.
My favorite post was a fan who said he thinks he deserves a right to see a game. Oh really? More than the people who spend years on waiting lists? Get a plane ticket, get a game ticket and come see a game. We should ship our team to you?
Let me put it this way, the NFL might want to globalize, but are any fans ready to see a Toronto versus London Super Bowl? I'd rather see a Los Angeles vrs Louisville SB.
Screw the rest of the world, they can all pick up feeds to watch our sport. I know it's superb but it's American and that's why we like it.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
I hate to sound like an arrogant American but everyone has a point: this is our sport and it is not fair for the fans to give up 1/8th of their home season just so the NFL can try and generate international support. I understand their desire for a more widespread fandom, but being based solely in the U.S. has garnered a billion dollar industry, 99.9% of which is not supported by England, Mexico, Japan, or any other country. Baseball and Basketball can afford to export as their seasons are seemingly infinite while football is so minimal and every game is significant.

I have so much love and appreciation for Packer fans around the globe, but surely you understand the plight of the fan base when the game atmosphere is being manufactured in an artificial environment so to speak. If England wants to get their own team, awesome, it should make things interesting, but lets not uproot the rest of the league.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only one person wants football outside the US border. Too bad the owners and players can't vote on going or staying. There is so much tradition being lost with the younger generations. and yes I hate Goodell. What has he done for the good of the game?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you guys support a Packers game if it was in London or somewhere else on foreign soil?

Positives - worldwide exposure, new fans, maybe sell more items and make the team some more $.

Negatives - could lose a home game. Travel would be killer. The time of the game might be off for fans watching back home in the USA.

So... what do you think?

As long as it is an exhibition game - why not ?
But it should not be a regular season game.
I also read in this thread that this is an american sport, about artificial environment etc, etc.
So welcome to professional sports in 2011 !
To me as a german guy it sounds a little crazy when somebody complaints about lost traditions, artifical environment and so on and at the same time everybody takes part of a professional sport system where teams can be sold and moved from x to y, or owners can go bankrupt or even divorced from their wife and nobody knows what this will mean for the franchise. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the NFL should try the first preseason game for all the teams to be somewhere outside of the home stadium. Maybe Tokyo, Berlin, Madrid, Rio, Cape Town, Seoul, Toronto, Mexico City, Moscow, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Sydney, ect.

Dont worry about the times for US citizens that much, they will catch it somehow, or tape delay it. Make it a world event.

Members online

Latest posts