Would you make a play for Moss?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just sounds like a bunch of Moss haters in here thats what i think. Hopefully he goes to Chicago and lights it up next year. I'd love to see some of you comments if that happens. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Just sounds like a bunch of Moss haters in here thats what i think. Hopefully he goes to Chicago and lights it up next year. I'd love to see some of you comments if that happens. Stay tuned.

It's typical for most here to hate anything and everything that isn't wearing a packers jersey. I guess objectivity takes a backseat to blind homerism

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The last time he lit it up was in 09 with Tom Brady. That was a long time ago for a 36 yr old wr

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
So of course this thread had to be made. They have one over the Vikings forum as well. While not defending Moss in any way I just want to point out some things about his skills over the years. Can he still play. Yes. Did he alligator arm that missed catch in the super bowl? How many WRs will attempt to catch a ball 10 feet over their head? The ball was way over thrown, although he could have at least put his hands up. It was completely uncatchable by him. Not even close.

While Moss may seem a shell of his former self, you have to remember how good that former self was. To put it in perspective. Moss had 28 receptions for 434 yards. 15.5 yards per catch. His average YPC for his career, 15.5. He did slack off on TD's, having only 3. For a ratio of 1 td for every 9.3 catches. As compared to 1 TD for every 6.3 catches which is his career average.

FWIW, the following WR's receptions to TD's Ratio

Jerry Rice 1 td every 7.8 catches
Terrel Owens 1 td every 7.0 catches
Cris Carter 1 Td every 8.5 catches
Tony Gonzalez 1 td for every 12.0 catches
Marvin Harrison 1 td for every 8.6 catches.
Calvin Johnson 1 TD for every 9.0 catches
Anquan Bolden 1 td for every 13.3 catches
Larry Fitzgerald 1 td for every 9.9 catches

So what Randy has become is an average WR who can still stretch the field.

Jerry Rice went from a 1 to 7.1 ratio to 1 to 11.7 ratio after he was 35 years old. So it age slows everyone down. Does he still have something left in the tank, yes. He was wide open several plays in the Super Bowl. I don't think Kap was even looking his way. On the right team, he could still light it up, but it would have to be the right team. I don't think the Packers are that team. Had he not done his stint just before Childress was fired maybe the Vikings, but that bridge has been burned. But Randy being Randy, someone might sign him.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You know Jerel Worthy had been known to take plays off coming out of college, yet we had no quarrels about signing him or kissing his ***.

Also
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nterception-was-all-my-fault-not-randy-mosss/
I didn't want Worthy. He was an athlete who relied on his first step, not a player.

I'm sure Kaep does blame himself, but that doesn't change the fact that Moss didn't even attempt to go after the ball. Moss is gifted, that's undeniable, but that kind of laziness is what made him the #3 receiver in SF. If he had half the work ethic Rice had nobody would ever have touched the records he would have set. I doubt he takes the game seriously even to this day.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
So of course this thread had to be made. They have one over the Vikings forum as well. While not defending Moss in any way I just want to point out some things about his skills over the years. Can he still play. Yes. Did he alligator arm that missed catch in the super bowl? How many WRs will attempt to catch a ball 10 feet over their head? The ball was way over thrown, although he could have at least put his hands up. It was completely uncatchable by him. Not even close.
Didn't seem that high. looked only about 6 or 7 to me which is completely in Moss' range

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While Moss may seem a shell of his former self, you have to remember how good that former self was. To put it in perspective. Moss had 28 receptions for 434 yards. 15.5 yards per catch. His average YPC for his career, 15.5. He did slack off on TD's, having only 3. For a ratio of 1 td for every 9.3 catches. As compared to 1 TD for every 6.3 catches which is his career average.

FWIW, the following WR's receptions to TD's Ratio

Jerry Rice 1 td every 7.8 catches
Terrel Owens 1 td every 7.0 catches
Cris Carter 1 Td every 8.5 catches
Tony Gonzalez 1 td for every 12.0 catches
Marvin Harrison 1 td for every 8.6 catches.
Calvin Johnson 1 TD for every 9.0 catches
Anquan Bolden 1 td for every 13.3 catches
Larry Fitzgerald 1 td for every 9.9 catches

So what Randy has become is an average WR who can still stretch the field.

Jerry Rice went from a 1 to 7.1 ratio to 1 to 11.7 ratio after he was 35 years old. So it age slows everyone down. Does he still have something left in the tank, yes. He was wide open several plays in the Super Bowl. I don't think Kap was even looking his way. On the right team, he could still light it up, but it would have to be the right team. I don't think the Packers are that team. Had he not done his stint just before Childress was fired maybe the Vikings, but that bridge has been burned. But Randy being Randy, someone might sign him.

Careful now, these Moss haters don't like logic or facts. They think that if a guy has a down year he's done.. not understanding that the right system and coaching means everything. Throw in the right qb then you could be looking at a guy having double digit td's.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Guess I read that post by Raptor a lot differently. Do we need a 36 year old average receiver?

Not particularly, but the ability of a wide receiver to stretch the field is not an ability that every average receiver has.

But IMO, on a 1 year contract for a reasonable amount of money he can play right away. A rookie may not see the field much. And once again I'd rather spend our draft picks this year on OL, DL, RB, and ILB, rather than a WR, which we aren't exactly in dire need of.

I don't see very much if any risk in doing it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not particularly, but the ability of a wide receiver to stretch the field is not an ability that every average receiver has.

But IMO, on a 1 year contract for a reasonable amount of money he can play right away. A rookie may not see the field much. And once again I'd rather spend our draft picks this year on OL, DL, RB, and ILB, rather than a WR, which we aren't exactly in dire need of.

I don't see very much if any risk in doing it.
I'm not convinced Moss would unless we go 4-5 wide

I don't see a lot of value in doing it

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts