Would you make a play for Moss?

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
It's 2013, not 2003. Moss is worthless. This past season proves it. He did virtually nothing to make the 49ers a better team. He was pretty much a non-factor in nearly every game.

He stretches the defense and commands attention for his straight line speed alone. He give other guys a chance to get open and make a play. How is that worthless?

It not much different that what Jermichael Finley has been for us. He stretches the field, commands respect, even if he's not catching passes he gets guys like Jordy, Cobb and Jennings single coverage.

So please again, tell me how that is worthless?

I'm not saying sign him to a 5 year contract for 40 million or some ****. Offer him the vet minimum on 1 year deal and see what he can do.

We have a lot of issues to address in the offseason. And if we have an opportunity to sign a good receiver for cheap money who could make a difference for our squad and save us a draft pick, why the *** would you not pull the trigger?

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Packers replace Jennings and Driver with Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson/OchoCinco next year!

Holy Hyperbole Batman.

And lol and lumping Moss into the same category as Ocho and Owens. Do you even football?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy Hyperbole Batman.

And lol and lumping Moss into the same category and Ocho as Owens. Do you even football?

Do I even football? Sometime!

I'm sorry I'm not excited about signing a guy who sat out the entire 2011 season then caught 28 balls during the 2012 regular season. Moss still takes plays off and gives 50% effort. I'd rather take a 21 year-old kid in the draft and develop him.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I don't think this is true at all.

Well thank goodness nobody cares what you think. Or I think for that matter.

But again, we have bigger issues than drafting another receiver. We need offensive linemen, defensive linemen, linebackers a running back. Signing a veteran player like Moss who can pick up a playbook and come right in and play unlike a rookie would probably sit for most of the year, sounds like a smarter idea to me. We save a draft pick for a position that actually requires filling and we temporarily fill another via a cheap FA signing. What really is the worst that can happen? If Moss is in a situation where he's going to be heavily involved, I don't think he's going to take plays off. And he's not a lockeroom cancer or diva like Owens or Ocho.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Well thank goodness nobody cares what you think. Or I think for that matter.

But again, we have bigger issues than drafting another receiver. We need offensive linemen, defensive linemen, linebackers a running back. Signing a veteran player like Moss who can pick up a playbook and come right in and play unlike a rookie would probably sit for most of the year, sounds like a smarter idea to me. We save a draft pick for a position that actually requires filling and we temporarily fill another via a cheap FA signing. What really is the worst that can happen? If Moss is in a situation where he's going to be heavily involved, I don't think he's going to take plays off. And he's not a lockeroom cancer or diva like Owens or Ocho.
:roflmao:

And I don't think he'd be cheap, even if he WAS an afterthought in the 49ers defense this year (If he's really still that great, why didn't he see the field more? Kaep likes to pass)

M

mayo44

He stretches the defense and commands attention for his straight line speed alone. He give other guys a chance to get open and make a play. How is that worthless?

So please again, tell me how that is worthless?

Because it's a fairy tale! It's simply not true. How many SF games did you watch this year? I was able to catch 8 or 9 of them and I'm telling you, he was met with mostly single coverage and rarely got open. He's a has-been. Show me ONE example where he was a key factor in SF winning any game this year. They made the conference championship last year without him. They made the SB this year, but it wasn't because of him. It was because of Kaepernick.

M

mayo44

K. Right after you post a link of a player or quote saying Randy Moss is a problem to have in the locker room.

The evidence speaks for itself. Teams simply don't trade away or CUT talented players unless there is a problem. The kid has had attitude problems his entire career. And I see that you qualified your feeble argument by asking for a quote from a PLAYER. Here's a bit of news for you. Players don't generally call out fellow players publicly like that. The bottom line is that FIVE general managers saw fit to get rid of him and that's not by chance. Frankly, it's unbelievable that any self-respecting football fan would try to argue in FAVOR of Randy Moss's attitude. What a joke.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yards per catch would be the best statistical indicator of "what is a deep threat". While YAC would increase the average yards per catch of a receiver, I can't think of another statistic that would better represent a "deep threat". I don't think "yards per attempt" is kept for receivers the same way as quarterbacks.

In the sense of the phrase "deep threat" a receiver that catches a 5 yard out and takes it another 15 yards for a 20 YPC average wouldn't be considered a deep threat. That's just my thinking, could be right or wrong.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's because Kap is in love with Crabtree and Davis... i do recall Randy Moss running by the safety twice (ed Reed) in yesterdays game and Kap didn't even look his way. Can't compare Moss and Driver tho, one is a future HOF and one is a future Packers HOF. Driver is one of the nicest players to ever play the game and Moss is one of the most feared.

he was also an inexperienced QB who couldnt make reads well enough...but No Moss,...why hire a guy that gaurantees a Super Bowl loss..Pats/ 49ers

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He mooned Lambeau Field. That is enough for me to say no to him being on our team. He is not a team player at ALL, I remember him putting his hands in his little receivers pouch when it was a run play so his hands won't get cold.
Last week he said he was the best WR of all time. Why the hell would he say this right before one of the biggest games of his life? Not to mention when he is on the team that harbored the real best WR of all time (Jerry Rice, which is only my opinion some people might disagree).

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Would you try to work out a 1-2 year deal with Moss? We don't really have a true deep threat receiver and with Jennings gone and Moss a FA we could probably sign him for a reasonable price and avoid having to spend a draft pick on a receiver.

Inb4 Moss is old, has lost a step, isn't the same, bad lockeroom guy, jerk, *******, I'm mad because he mocked mooning us like 15 years ago incoming responses

I`m sorry, it MAY be an English thing but I still find it funny that Packer fans, and I am definately one of those, get so worked up over the "Moongate" incident ?? We spent the WHOLE game hurling abuse at the guy !! If they had hurled abuse at one of our guys all through the game and HE scored the winning touchdown and did it to THEM, we`d be calling him a bloody hero !! :cautious:

I think he`d be a good short term signing myself.......short term. He`s still one of the best wide recievers I ever saw catch a ball.

I

Jordy is somewhat of a deep threat but he's no Randy Moss. If you get a guy like Randy Moss it can only make thing's easier for guy's like Finley and Cobb who do most of their magic underneath. You eliminate at least one safety hanging around in the middle of the field when Randy Moss is on the field. I'd sign him just for that reason. He improves the run game as well keeping those safties 25-30 yards off the ball.

While I have said earlier I always liked Randy Moss as a player, I have to disagree that I`d choose him over Jordy Nelson. I think he would be a USEFUL short term acquisition, I WOULDN`T pick him now OVER a younger fitter talented wide reciever like Nelson. Just my opinion of course.
Randy Moss is NOT the spawn of the devil though !!!

I

He mooned Lambeau Field. That is enough for me to say no to him being on our team. He is not a team player at ALL, I remember him putting his hands in his little receivers pouch when it was a run play so his hands won't get cold.
Last week he said he was the best WR of all time. Why the hell would he say this right before one of the biggest games of his life? Not to mention when he is on the team that harbored the real best WR of all time (Jerry Rice, which is only my opinion some people might disagree).

Jeez, its just ******** bravado !! Yes, as a younger player he had attitude problems, I seem to remember he got his *** kicked by the Vikings defensive squad for leaving the field before the end of a lost game ? (I may be wrong !) and maybe he will always have an attitude, but I think we NEED to get over the mooning incident in my honest opinion. Should we send out hit squads to kill Donovin Darius for putting Ferguson in a wheelchair for three weeks ??

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Moss is a shadow of his former self and all he has now is the last name that goes along with what he once was. I wouldn't sign him, I place more faith in what we already have for a deep ball threat in James jones and jordy nelson or a rookie we draft. Moss is a "has been".....he has lost his speed and he gives up on routes, his down field blocking ability is about the same a 5 year old little girl being on the field.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We all saw his "non-catch" in the SB. Same old Moss, no way I sign a WR who doesn't even try to get the ball.

Members online

Latest posts