Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of people had a problem with Mack's contract. He was great for the Bears, who now are stuck with the contract and no #1 picks for 2 years. Check back in a couple of years. The Packers wouldn't have gotten anywhere this year even with Mack. Antonio Brown has a lot of wear on his body, has an attitude. I don't want him.
The bears QB is on a rookie contract which helps them out for a few years.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the drama of this last week, it's nearly impossible to see the Steelers bringing back Antonio Brown. He's a generational wide receiver, sure Hall of Famer, not particularly young anymore but has not shown much decline yet either, performance-wise.

The late 1st from the Saints isn't enough, but the #12 pick is probably enough to get the Steelers to simply move on at this point, and we'd still have our usual late 1st round pick.

The upside is you would have two elite wide receivers with Aaron Rodgers, creating matchup nightmares and potentially transforming the offense back into an elite unit overnight.

The downside would be having a distraction on the team if Brown has a hard time sharing the WR spotlight, which seems to have been an issue for him with Smith-Schuster this year.

Would you do it?

As always, it depends.

First question: How does Brown feel about coming to Green Bay?. Second question, how would guys like Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams feel about Brown being on this roster? How much would the Pack have to give up? How much would hamstring the Pack with regard to plugging other holes? And how would the new coach feel about all this?

Those issues would have to be addressed first. Without a HC in place, it's a longshot at best.

Reaction score
I think a lot of people had a problem with Mack's contract. He was great for the Bears, who now are stuck with the contract and no #1 picks for 2 years. Check back in a couple of years. The Packers wouldn't have gotten anywhere this year even with Mack. Antonio Brown has a lot of wear on his body, has an attitude. I don't want him.
Yeah. That’s also a good point about comparing Mack. We would’ve lost at minimum 2 first round draft picks. Not to say they will be Mack, but lets take our 1st rounder each year and then take the 20M+ dollars we didn’t pay Mack and see what that 20M saved extra gets us each year as far as Free Agent signings and let’s combine all of that for the next 2 years and see if the combination of all those picks being utilized across the position board help.

Last edited:

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. That’s also a good point.
GB is 1 solid offseason away from improving to a point where we are either 1-1 with Chicago or 2-0.
GB in 2 good off seasons could very well be a 12-4 team again. Chicago will miss those first day picks and time is always on our side when it comes to not spending future capital before we’ve earned it.
Just watch

I’m fully expecting to recover to a 12-4/ contender type team as early as this upcoming season. We don’t have a TON of holes. We have enough cap space for a few nice signings, 2 first rounders and like 10 draft picks total. We could see a quick turnaround.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@OldSchool101 It was reported that Chicago was in the hunt for Mack as well.

And make no mistake, I believe we'll be back with a vengeance next year. What amazes me is that we're now all of a sudden wanting to play it safe. If that was the case then we should've kept Thompson. Typically in the NFL those who take chances gets highly rewarded.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@OldSchool101 It was reported that Chicago was in the hunt for Mack as well.

And make no mistake, I believe we'll be back with a vengeance next year. What amazes me is that we're now all of a sudden wanting to play it safe. If that was the case then we should've kept Thompson. Typically in the NFL those who take chances gets highly rewarded.
No they don't. Typically in 2-3 years they're firing their staffs and cleaning out cap room. I would say swings for the fence blow up in their face far more than they bring greatness and a Lombardi trophy and I don't think it's even close.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No they don't. Typically in 2-3 years they're firing their staffs and cleaning out cap room. I would say swings for the fence blow up in their face far more than they bring greatness and a Lombardi trophy and I don't think it's even close.
Obviously everyone has their windows to capitalize before it closes. You need an example look at how well Denver did. 2 SB appearances. True they aren't doing well right now, but that's more of an issue with QB.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Trinkets for Rodgers? When has Rodgers ever has gotten a weapon like Antonio Brown?

My point is that all you ever hear is that Rodgers needs weapons...when year in and year out, the Pack are also rans because they can't field a competitive defense.

See I'm a little wore out on the offensive weapons arguments because I listened to that argument throughout Favre's career too... as the Pack kept getting their rear end kicked because of lousy defenses.

I know you young guys love offense...offense...offense at all cost. Look no further than the 2011 season.

Then, the trinket you want to pursue is a guy like Brown? You'd have sell that one a lot better...the Steelers are stuck with that very talented, ego-maniacal head case because nobody will take that contract plus his crap.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Martinez, Clark, Daniels, Alexander, Jackson... there are others.

Yes, they need an infusion of more talent on the defensive side of the ball, especially at OLB, but they aren't running with 11 street free agents.

You hit my 3...I forgot about Martinez. That guy has heart and that is a HUGE part of playing in the middle... there are just more talented ILB's out there ...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously everyone has their windows to capitalize before it closes. You need an example look at how well Denver did. 2 SB appearances. True they aren't doing well right now, but that's more of an issue with QB.
Denver made it 1 game further 1x more than GB and has been far worse for much of the last decade. and Denver SUCKED prior to that as well and getting some really high draft picks. They don't win any super bowls if they don't have Von Miller and he was what pick? Every year there are FA winners and by years end, we hear of none of them. The Rams? They spent how much on defense this year and what has that done for them? They're lucky T.Gurley hasn't been hurt or they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that all you ever hear is that Rodgers needs weapons...when year in and year out, the Pack are also rans because they can't field a competitive defense.

See I'm a little wore out on the offensive weapons arguments because I listened to that argument throughout Favre's career too... as the Pack kept getting their rear end kicked because of lousy defenses.

I know you young guys love offense...offense...offense at all cost. Look no further than the 2011 season.

Then, the trinket you want to pursue is a guy like Brown? You'd have sell that one a lot better...the Steelers are stuck with that very talented, ego-maniacal head case because nobody will take that contract plus his crap.
You meant to say games Favre costed us right because of his bone headedness?

Well considering we're getting our ***** kicked despite addressing the defensive side what else is there to do? We clearly needed a defensive disrupter like Mack and yet we didn't get him, who would've made a difference.

So you tell me.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Denver made it 1 game further 1x more than GB and has been far worse for much of the last decade. and Denver SUCKED prior to that as well and getting some really high draft picks. They don't win any super bowls if they don't have Von Miller and he was what pick? Every year there are FA winners and by years end, we hear of none of them. The Rams? They spent how much on defense this year and what has that done for them? They're lucky T.Gurley hasn't been hurt or they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.
Doesn't negate that they had two SB appearances. Case and point.

I swear we can't make up our minds in what we want.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't negate that they had two SB appearances. Case and point.

I swear we can't make up our minds in what we want.
Case and point, they sucked, sucked enough to get the 2nd pick in the draft and had one fleeting moment of greatness because they had Von Miller. They have won nothing more than GB has with their current GM and has won far less more often.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Case and point, they sucked, sucked enough to get the 2nd pick in the draft and had one fleeting moment of greatness because they had Von Miller. They have won nothing more than GB has with their current GM and has won far less more often.
You do realize the previous year before they got Manning they made the playoffs with Tim Tebow right? And then once they acquired Peyton and went crazy via FA they went to two SB back to back? Granted they only won 1 but still. 2 SB appearances.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize the previous year before they got Manning they made the playoffs with Tim Tebow right? And then once they acquired Peyton and went crazy via FA they went to two SB back to back? Granted they only won 1 but still. 2 SB appearances.
Yes I do, they were one of those teams that shouldn't have made the playoffs, but got lucky everyone else sucked that year too. I remember them beating the steeers, then getting stomped. I remember them getting Peyton and getting stomped too. But of course they had already drafted the DPOY and eventual super bowl MVP. They went crazy in FA, won a single super bowl and then didn't even make the playoffs again. They've won nothing more than GB, and have won a whole lot less.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I do, they were one of those teams that shouldn't have made the playoffs, but got lucky everyone else sucked that year too. I remember them beating the steeers, then getting stomped. I remember them getting Peyton and getting stomped too. But of course they had already drafted the DPOY and eventual super bowl MVP. They went crazy in FA, won a single super bowl and then didn't even make the playoffs again. They've won nothing more than GB, and have won a whole lot less.
They went to the SB Twice. As opposed to us going once. They may have gotten the breaks knocked out of them the first round but at LEAST they got there TWICE.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want brown... age, salary, attitude - are all negatives.

We need an infusion of high end, young talent - especially in our front seven; and, that can only come thru the draft.

Gute has to hit on those 3 high picks in the '19 draft - and hopefully 2 of them are front seven players.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it? How so? Alexander... Kenny...maybe Daniels.
So what kind of odds are you willing to put up in a bet that there won't be more than 3 guys on our current defensive roster in the NFL in 2 years? If you're so confident in your outrageous claim, it should be easy pickings, right?

How about this. If any three of those guys are on an NFL roster for the 2020 season, you get the honor of changing your pic to a Vikings helmet. If those guys are all out of football, as you contend, then I'll do the same. You game, weeds?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So? One extra game in one year. And not even to a playoff game in half all those others. It got them 1 Lombardi. We got one too.

Anyway, go back 10 years and find some articles on all the “bold” teams in March. Then post the year end records and we can tally winners and losers. Sometimes taking chances works. Sometimes not taking chances works. Being “bold” rewards nothing. Success is based on the other 95%

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So? One extra game in one year. And not even to a playoff game in half all those others. It got them 1 Lombardi. We got one too.

Anyway, go back 10 years and find some articles on all the “bold” teams in March. Then post the year end records and we can tally winners and losers. Sometimes taking chances works. Sometimes not taking chances works. Being “bold” rewards nothing. Success is based on the other 95%
I'm sure Rodgers would KILL to have another chance for at a title.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To answer the question....no.... I’d rather have a 1st round talent at a position of need on a rookie contract.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cher was Pre-Madonna.

Come on man, you don't like Madonna? You are off my "Brother" list. ;) I used to be Crazy For You. You were my Lucky Star and I didn't have to Justify My Love, but Momma told us both that Pappa Don't Preach and now I am stuck trying to Open Your Heart, because you seem to just be a Material Girl living on the Borderline and no longer Vogue enough to Express Yourself and Live To Tell us about your 4 minutes of being Into The Groove.
lmao that took a lot of work... and i’m a bit embarrassed to say I know all of those songs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much Madonna, I'm going to leave this here for you all...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Give both first round picks for J.J. Watt. That's it.
We have reasonably good wrs, rbs, cbs. The best QB. We need o-line and pass rushers. Then we need safeties. Then tight end.
The least important thing now is a wr.

The Packers need a legit #2 wide receiver entering next season.

Would love to know what Adams and Rodgers think of the possibility of having a guy like AB on the team.

It might be more important to know what Brown thinks about sharing the spotlight with Adams.

Ty Montgomery not taking orders from his coaches and taking no accountability for the mistake, Rodgers blasting his young receivers in training camp and never giving them much of a chance this year, Rodgers and Clay calling out the GM/management in offseason, Ha Ha CD clearly giving less effort in certain games, dating back to last year Martellus Bennett trying to get Pat McKenzie fired. These are just the things that are public knowledge, who knows what else is going on. They aren't Steelers toxic but I can't think of any other team in the league that has a worse locker room. You're kidding yourself if you think this is a great locker room, and the Green Bay Media is known to some as 'too friendly'. Teams in bigger markets also have to worry about crazy media people.

It was pretty obvious that the coaching staff had troubles controlling the locker room this season but there's no evidence there was a toxic atmosphere.

Two things to consider. Both MVS and EQ finished within the top 15 rookies in receptions and yards, therefore Rodgers not giving them any chance this season is wrong. In addition the media covering the Packers is one of the most intense ones in the league.

Granted neither of them are as dynamic like they used to, but they can still get to the QB. Matthews definitely. Martinez and Fackrell may not scare you individually, but as a unit with Mack leading the fold. I'd say they could cause a lot of problems. Definitely would've gotten more pressure at the QB which would've forced QB's to throw the ball a lot faster, and thus helping the secondary. Again we were fools not to trade for Mack.

For the record, the Packers would have had to release a player, most likely Matthews, to have enough cap space to acquire Mack.

If it isn't obvious by now YES. I am EXTREMELY salty we didn't get Mack when we had the chance.

Would have never guessed that.

That being said, Green Bay will definitely need to take a deep look at the wide receiver market this offseason. DeSean Jackson has expressed interest in leaving Tampa Bay, and he and Aaron have a connection through Cal. His big-play ability could be huge for our offense. I could also see us reaching out to a possession receiver like Golden Tate. He's 30 and didn't pan out too well in Philly, but his market price won't be very high. In the event that we part ways with Randall Cobb, he could be a serviceable replacement and good veteran for the young guys.

The Packers should add a veteran wide receiver but I agree with HRE that it would be smart to target younger players set to become free agents for the first time in their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts