Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree completely. I even came up with a strategy in which how we could stay afloat in the meantime. The moment we heard Chicago was interested in him we should've did everything in our power to get him, just so that they wouldn't have him. There isn't anyone in the draft that is better than Mack, and we'd be banking on potential which is looking at our track record in regards to the draft, is iffy at best. That is part of warfare. Look what he's done for The Bears, and their culture. Having a defensive disruptor like Mack on the defensive side to help out the defense and help boost morale, while Rodgers got things going on the offensive side. Yes we would've eaten a chunk of cap space, but the deal we would've gotten him in comparison to future players it would've been a steal. In the meantime we stick with our draft and develop while signing some plug FAs. But we wanted to play safe, and look where that's gotten us.

Mack added a lot to an already stacked Bears defense. Bring him to Green Bay and you have the Rams defense which is pretty much what we had without the one stud. Mack would have made us better no doubt but I don't think he would have had the same overall impact as he did with the Bears.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For Brown's talent, I might give up both of our #1's, but because his personality comes with him and since I doubt that changes, not sure I would give up much, nor would I want to be on the hook for the balance of his contract if he doesn't work out. Would love to know what Adams and Rodgers think of the possibility of having a guy like AB on the team.

It seems so black and white and I know it isn't, you never know what you could get with a draft pick either. Could end up with a really talented player with personality flaws too or an all out bust, but the good news with a draft pick, you aren't out a ton of cap space if they don't work out.

Would you like to know what they think or what they would say because its quite possible they are not the same thing.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers locker room was definitely not toxic last season. Not even close.

Ty Montgomery not taking orders from his coaches and taking no accountability for the mistake, Rodgers blasting his young receivers in training camp and never giving them much of a chance this year, Rodgers and Clay calling out the GM/management in offseason, Ha Ha CD clearly giving less effort in certain games, dating back to last year Martellus Bennett trying to get Pat McKenzie fired. These are just the things that are public knowledge, who knows what else is going on. They aren't Steelers toxic but I can't think of any other team in the league that has a worse locker room. You're kidding yourself if you think this is a great locker room, and the Green Bay Media is known to some as 'too friendly'. Teams in bigger markets also have to worry about crazy media people.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
She was the first (and only) one I could think of but was she really Pre or more like the same time but didn't hold up as well. For the record I liked CL way better than M and I honestly can't name one Madonna song off the top of my head...Oh wait, she did like a ****** right...OK one.

Maybe Tina Turner?

Cher was Pre-Madonna.

Come on man, you don't like Madonna? You are off my "Brother" list. ;) I used to be Crazy For You. You were my Lucky Star and I didn't have to Justify My Love, but Momma told us both that Pappa Don't Preach and now I am stuck trying to Open Your Heart, because you seem to just be a Material Girl living on the Borderline and no longer Vogue enough to Express Yourself and Live To Tell us about your 4 minutes of being Into The Groove.

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mack added a lot to an already stacked Bears defense. Bring him to Green Bay and you have the Rams defense which is pretty much what we had without the one stud. Mack would have made us better no doubt but I don't think he would have had the same overall impact as he did with the Bears.
Mack with Daniels, Wilkerson, Matthews, and Perry? You're telling me that wouldn't be a scary combination? Along with Martinez and Frackwell? Remember this defense wasn't doing half bad until the injuries started piling up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Would you like to know what they think or what they would say because its quite possible they are not the same thing.
Agree, because as you imply, I doubt both would be the same. Which is why I said "think". ;)

Sadly, the Internet has taught most people that you have to be very careful of speaking your actual thoughts. Sometimes even your true thoughts can be twisted in to mean something else, in the eyes and ears of others. Personally, if I was someone under the spotlight, I would probably just get into the habit of saying "no comment" when an opinion is asked for.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mack with Daniels, Wilkerson, Matthews, and Perry? You're telling me that wouldn't be a scary combination? Along with Martinez and Frackwell? Remember this defense wasn't doing half bad until the injuries started piling up.

You had me until you added "Matthews and Perry". Also, I like Martinez and maybe eventually Fackrell, but neither would scare me that much as an opposing DC.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great player, too expensive, and WAY...too much drama. the Packers have too many needs and not a lot of cap room (about the league average in cap space). Brown is the guy for a contender whose one piece away. the Packers aren't that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
great player, too expensive, and WAY...too much drama. the Packers have too many needs and not a lot of cap room (about the league average in cap space). Brown is the guy for a contender whose one piece away. the Packers aren't that.

Sounds like the Vikings should contact him and offer to double his salary? ;) :whistling:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, the Internet has taught most people that you have to be very careful of speaking your actual thoughts. Sometimes even your true thoughts can be twisted in to mean something else, in the eyes and ears of others. Personally, if I was someone under the spotlight, I would probably just get into the habit of saying "no comment" when an opinion is asked for.
I know what you mean, most people are twisted a bit. Especially when they just pick a few things out of context, completely changing your meaning to fit their agenda.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't like the idea for a couple of reason:
  • Absorbing a $15 mil cap hit and giving up a high pick for a guy in his 10th season is awfully rich
  • Brown is a wideout, not a slot
  • I'd rather roll with Adams, MVS, et. al. and complement them with a good slot if WR is where you want to spend the money
Remember that Pittsburgh is on the hook for the balance of his prorated signing bonus in a trade. That's $21 mil in dead cap, the same as his cap hit next season if they keep him. They're going to want something of value in trade since there's no cap to be gained to offset the lost production.

The only good thing I can say about it is Brown's dead cap goes to zero for 2020 for the aquiring team. The $14 mil in dead cap for 2020 shown by the usual sources is the signing bonus balance which goes to Pittsburgh. So, if it didn't work out all you lose is the the $15 mil in cap, the pick, and the associated opportunity cost had those resources been applied to someone else.

The question to ask is whether an aging impact player or two is/are the missing ingrediants for serious contention in 2019? That might have plausible in prior years, Peppers for example. Now? Not at all. A signing like this is yet another instance of short-termism where the short term doesn't look that good to start with.

Think younger as part of a multi-year reload. Reports had Gutekunst interested in Watkins and Robinson and he put down a nice offer for Fuller. Skip the Grahams and Browns, especially if you're going to pay these guys like they're 26 years old entering a second contract. Get the actual 26 year old instead.

Think 2020. 2021 might be a strike year with the CBA expiring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You had me until you added "Matthews and Perry". Also, I like Martinez and maybe eventually Fackrell, but neither would scare me that much as an opposing DC.
Granted neither of them are as dynamic like they used to, but they can still get to the QB. Matthews definitely. Martinez and Fackrell may not scare you individually, but as a unit with Mack leading the fold. I'd say they could cause a lot of problems. Definitely would've gotten more pressure at the QB which would've forced QB's to throw the ball a lot faster, and thus helping the secondary. Again we were fools not to trade for Mack.

NorwegianPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's an outstanding player and would really make the offense potent. I think we need another legit receiver alongside Davante Adams, and while GMo is promising, he's still not on the level of a clear #2 receiver yet IMO.

That said, this team desperately need a good pass rush. That will help our secondary a lot when the QB have less time to throw and is getting pressured constantly. I would rather keep both picks in the first round and draft a legit edge rusher and perhaps a TE like Fant if he's there, or strengthen our O-Line.....

Too many positions that need to be improved to take such a big cap hit on one player and lose our #12 pick. Will probably take even more than that, probably a 3rd rounder too or something like that.

And then there's his disciplinary issues too, too big of a diva and if he's getting annoyed at JuJu Smith-Schuster eating up his targets he won't be less happy with another elite WR on the roster getting many targets as well.

In general though I believe we need a clear #2 wideout or perhaps a great TE like Kittle or Kelce. Graham's been disappointing so far.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article at CBS sports.com, which basically was an interview with Ryan Clark, ex Steeler and Brown teammate. He remember telling someone that if they paid Brown they'd be creating a monster. Said that Brown cares only about Brown and his own stats.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That said, this team desperately need a good pass rush. That will help our secondary a lot when the QB have less time to throw and is getting pressured constantly.
You know there was a FA last year, that kinda fitted that mold last year that probably could've helped us tremendously. But for some reason we let that trade slip through our fingers and our division rival got him and won the division and are in the playoffs this week. :rolleyes:

If it isn't obvious by now YES. I am EXTREMELY salty we didn't get Mack when we had the chance. And everytime someone mentions the phrase, "we need a pass rusher" or anything similar to it, I will point out our blunder regarding Mack.

NorwegianPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know there was a FA last year, that kinda fitted that mold last year that probably could've helped us tremendously. But for some reason we let that trade slip through our fingers and our division rival got him and won the division and are in the playoffs this week. :rolleyes:

If it isn't obvious by now YES. I am EXTREMELY salty we didn't get Mack when we had the chance. And everytime someone mentions the phrase, "we need a pass rusher" or anything similar to it, I will point out our blunder regarding Mack.

From what I've read we offered more or less the same package as Chicago, but the Raiders thought Chicago's picks would wound up being better. Cannot do anything about that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just read an article at CBS sports.com, which basically was an interview with Ryan Clark, ex Steeler and Brown teammate. He remember telling someone that if they paid Brown they'd be creating a monster. Said that Brown cares only about Brown and his own stats.
I posted the video earlier in the thread. ;) Just the beginning of the video and listening to Scott Van Pelt makes me want to say "no" and Ryan Clark's first hand accounting of AB makes me want to say "no times two".

Reaction score

The words Perry and Scary should never be used in the same sentence. You are forgiven lol

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted the video earlier in the thread. ;) Just the beginning of the video and listening to Scott Van Pelt makes me want to say "no" and Ryan Clark's first hand accounting of AB makes me want to say "no times two".

Sorry PB 2000, I missed that one!

charlottecheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the fit for Brown. Monetarily, trading for him would be a blow to our ability to address our many other needs, and I don't see Brown handling himself well when he has yet another season of equal target shares. If he didn't like playing with JuJu, he definitely won't enjoy potentially even playing second-fiddle to Adams and his established chemistry with Rodgers.

That being said, Green Bay will definitely need to take a deep look at the wide receiver market this offseason. DeSean Jackson has expressed interest in leaving Tampa Bay, and he and Aaron have a connection through Cal. His big-play ability could be huge for our offense. I could also see us reaching out to a possession receiver like Golden Tate. He's 30 and didn't pan out too well in Philly, but his market price won't be very high. In the event that we part ways with Randall Cobb, he could be a serviceable replacement and good veteran for the young guys.

Reaction score
You mean like we SHOULD'VE did with Khalil Mack?

First. Nobodies saying we don’t want a dynamic pass rusher or a dynamic WR. I think I want both!!

But honestly should we have?? Correct me if I’m wrong here, but we just signed Rodgers to a historically massive contract at nearly the same time.

Also. We’re assuming the GB brass knew he’d land in Chicago. Maybe they did maybe they didn’t? but is it possible they didn’t have that information?
We have the luxury of knowing and watching him in that system for an entire year. They didn’t. We also now have watched our beloved GB Packers struggle for a year. We watched Mo go down and Daniels regress. We watched a lot of frustratingly poor finishes.
If Mack had went to another city.. say.. San Diego? Or if Mack’s performance had dropped off my some... or if Mo was healthy and finished with 6-8 sacks.
Would our regrets today be as verbal? Probably not with as much enthusiasm

I personally think all GB knew through negotiations is ... we were not even players at around 20M per year and he may have not accepted our offer unless it was substantially higher than Chicago. Unless we were able to part with at minimum 25M PLUS annual or near 100M guaranteed we were wasting our breath.

My opinion is those are scary numbers for a GM. Especially when you just signed your QB to a 100M guaranteed. That’s 200M guaranteed for 2 players!!

I don’t know why it seems so surprising that we passed actually.

Last edited:

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well yeah, elite players cost money. He's on a 4 year/$68M deal, basically same as any other elite WR these days. Khalik Mack got 6 years/$141M and no one seemed too concerned about that.

I think a lot of people had a problem with Mack's contract. He was great for the Bears, who now are stuck with the contract and no #1 picks for 2 years. Check back in a couple of years. The Packers wouldn't have gotten anywhere this year even with Mack. Antonio Brown has a lot of wear on his body, has an attitude. I don't want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.