Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

3 years for about $39m. $15m year one, around $12m years two and three. Going rate for top tier WR. Get him for a 3rd or 2nd, I'd jump. Even for the NO 1st rounder as we aren't getting another WR that good with it. I doubt it will happen. Locker room cancers sometimes are worth the risk. He can be cut without dead cap anytime before week 1. If you insist, build in some type of draft pick returned if he flames out.

I highly doubt the Steelers would agree to a conditional draft pick based on Brown's performance.

You mean like we SHOULD'VE did with Khalil Mack?

Once again, it would have been close to impossible to field a competitive team while having the highest paid offensive and defensive player in the league on the roster.

With that contract nothing better than a 4th round pick. He's a me guy, not a we guy. Not only are we trying to add talent but we are trying to make sure this locker room isn't as toxic as it was this past season with players not listening to McCarthy.

The Packers locker room was definitely not toxic last season. Not even close.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, it would have been close to impossible to field a competitive team while having the highest paid offensive and defensive player in the league on the roster.
I disagree completely. I even came up with a strategy in which how we could stay afloat in the meantime. The moment we heard Chicago was interested in him we should've did everything in our power to get him, just so that they wouldn't have him. There isn't anyone in the draft that is better than Mack, and we'd be banking on potential which is looking at our track record in regards to the draft, is iffy at best. That is part of warfare. Look what he's done for The Bears, and their culture. Having a defensive disruptor like Mack on the defensive side to help out the defense and help boost morale, while Rodgers got things going on the offensive side. Yes we would've eaten a chunk of cap space, but the deal we would've gotten him in comparison to future players it would've been a steal. In the meantime we stick with our draft and develop while signing some plug FAs. But we wanted to play safe, and look where that's gotten us.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enter Marquise Brown with our second 1st rounder.

Only thing about that dude is he weighs like 160 pounds that's a red flag. It's highly unlikely that he won't be often injured once he gets to the league. There just aren't many guys that are that little that don't get injured a lot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Devante is good, but is no AB, Julio, Odell, Hopkins, I'd even throw AJ Green in there when he's healthy.

Adams definitely developed into an elite receiver this season, just take a look at his numbers while not playing with a reliable #2 wideout for most of the season.

I disagree completely. I even came up with a strategy in which how we could stay afloat in the meantime. The moment we heard Chicago was interested in him we should've did everything in our power to get him, just so that they wouldn't have him. There isn't anyone in the draft that is better than Mack, and we'd be banking on potential which is looking at our track record in regards to the draft, is iffy at best. That is part of warfare. Look what he's done for The Bears, and their culture. Having a defensive disruptor like Mack on the defensive side to help out the defense and help boost morale, while Rodgers got things going on the offensive side. Yes we would've eaten a chunk of cap space, but the deal we would've gotten him in comparison to future players it would've been a steal. In the meantime we stick with our draft and develop while signing some plug FAs. But we wanted to play safe, and look where that's gotten us.

The Packers would have a total of only $20 million of cap space entering next offseason if they signed Mack to a similar deal like the Bears did. With a lot of positions in need of improvement that wouldn't have been a lot of wiggle room to work with, especially considering the team wouldn't have had a first round pick in this year's draft as well.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams definitely developed into an elite receiver this season, just take a look at his numbers while not playing with a reliable #2 wideout for most of the season.

The Packers would have a total of only $20 million of cap space entering next offseason if they signed Mack to a similar deal like the Bears did. With a lot of positions in need of improvement that wouldn't have been a lot of wiggle room to work with, especially considering the team wouldn't have had a first round pick in this year's draft as well.

Adams and brown are on the same level at this point they are both in the top 5 or 10 certainly and at that point it's just preference. Right now I prefer davantae he's much younger and to this point in his career a positive in the locker room.
As for the Mack thing yes they'd only have 20 m or so in cap space and only the saints 1st round pick assuming they did the same deal as Chicago. But they also would very likely still be preparing to play a wild card game this weekend with a legitimate shot at going on a 4 game run to win a super bowl. Idk which scenario is better I guess we'll have to see who we get with the money and picks Mack would have cost.
Now as for brown I'm assuming he can play in the the slot and if that's true I'd be interested in aquiring him if the draft pick price is right. No way I do it for a first round pick because I don't think his value on the trade market is a first. He's got 3 strikes against him he's old 31 next season. He's got a big cap number for 3 more years granted if he puts up the same numbers he has it's certainly worth it. And 3 he has been a problem in the locker room. Now he might choose not to be in gb, who knows. So I guess I think he's worth more like a late 2nd. Yes amari Cooper got a first but he's much younger. For that price I start to seriously consider adding him to replace Cobb. Maybe it's a draft day scenario where if the wr they like in the draft is picked ahead of their pick they get on phone to Steelers and offer up that pick for brown as a backup plan idk but I'd consider it. He would definitely help the team win

D

Deleted member 6794

As for the Mack thing yes they'd only have 20 m or so in cap space and only the saints 1st round pick assuming they did the same deal as Chicago. But they also would very likely still be preparing to play a wild card game this weekend with a legitimate shot at going on a 4 game run to win a super bowl.

I highly doubt the Packers would have made the playoffs with Mack on the roster this season. They would definitely not have been a legit Super Bowl contender even while having him.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Packers would have made the playoffs with Mack on the roster this season. They would definitely not have been a legit Super Bowl contender even while having him.

Any team in the playoffs is a legit super bowl contender, technically. But certainly any team with Aaron Rodgers as QB is a super bowl contender once they're in the tournament. And clearly we disagree but I think the Packers win a lot of the games they gave away if they have Mack. I think Mack makes a play or two in most of those games that becomes the difference. Rams, Vikings, Cardinals, there's more than a couple I'm forgetting as well. Mack would have changed the whole demeneor of the team not just the defense

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any team in the playoffs is a legit super bowl contender, technically. But certainly any team with Aaron Rodgers as QB is a super bowl contender once they're in the tournament. And clearly we disagree but I think the Packers win a lot of the games they gave away if they have Mack. I think Mack makes a play or two in most of those games that becomes the difference. Rams, Vikings, Cardinals, there's more than a couple I'm forgetting as well. Mack would have changed the whole demeneor of the team not just the defense
EXACTLY! People forget that we lost a lot of close games. I guarantee we would've beaten Seattle, LA, and NE, had Mack had been there. We definitely wouldn't have gotten swept by the damn Lions, and lost to The Vikings.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enter Marquise Brown with our second 1st rounder.
If he is tough enough (he does not weigh much); he sounds exactly what I would be looking for. He caught around 75 passes this year I think so he was very productive. Not Jordy Nelson productive but I imagine OK had more options than Kansas (State?).

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ Hockenson hasn't even declared yet, maybe you have inside information from his Dad on this? :unsure:

For those saying we should trade for Brown and saying he is better than anyone we can get with the draft pick(s) it costs to get him, of course he is, right now. However, he will cost a lot more, which means less cap space to use on others. That is just the money side, then you have to start thinking about what bringing a guy like AB into the Packer locker room does. Would he fit in with the attitude he seems to have? Guys like Randall and Dix didn't seem to.

I will take our chances on the current WR group, saving the money and the draft picks(s) as well as not take a chance on a "me first" guy ******** up the locker room.

No, TJ hasn't decided yet but he's a smart kid and I think he knows the stars aligned for him this year. I'll be surprised if he doesn't come out.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No, TJ hasn't decided yet but he's a smart kid and I think he knows the stars aligned for him this year. I'll be surprised if he doesn't come out.
Would make the most sense for him to come out now, while he is healthy and his stock is at a high point. I saw an interview with him after the Bowl Game, sounds like he has made his decision, 95% sure of he said. Noah Fant the "other Iowa TE" is a beast as well. It will be very interesting to see what happens to them both and I wouldn't mind if the Packers drafted either of them.

Eduardo Valadares

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give both first round picks for J.J. Watt. That's it.
We have reasonably good wrs, rbs, cbs. The best QB. We need o-line and pass rushers. Then we need safeties. Then tight end.
The least important thing now is a wr.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. He’s on the decline and he’s a pre Madonna. Too much risk from too many angles.
If we make a major investment like that it has to be a premier, disruptive pass rusher.

pre Madonna I'm trying to think of who that might be.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ Hockenson hasn't even declared yet, maybe you have inside information from his Dad on this? :unsure:

For those saying we should trade for Brown and saying he is better than anyone we can get with the draft pick(s) it costs to get him, of course he is, right now. However, he will cost a lot more, which means less cap space to use on others. That is just the money side, then you have to start thinking about what bringing a guy like AB into the Packer locker room does. Would he fit in with the attitude he seems to have? Guys like Randall and Dix didn't seem to.

I will take our chances on the current WR group, saving the money and the draft picks(s) as well as not take a chance on a "me first" guy ******** up the locker room.

If the choice is the WRs we have or adding Brown I say go with Brown. If the Choice is Draft a WR high or Brown I say go with the draft choice.

If we assume we could get him for the #32 pick I would rather spend that pick on a WR although I am not seeing a lot of high end WRs listed on many draft lists this year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cyndi Lauper?

She was the first (and only) one I could think of but was she really Pre or more like the same time but didn't hold up as well. For the record I liked CL way better than M and I honestly can't name one Madonna song off the top of my head...Oh wait, she did like a ****** right...OK one.

Maybe Tina Turner?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For Brown's talent, I might give up both of our #1's, but because his personality comes with him and since I doubt that changes, not sure I would give up much, nor would I want to be on the hook for the balance of his contract if he doesn't work out. Would love to know what Adams and Rodgers think of the possibility of having a guy like AB on the team.

It seems so black and white and I know it isn't, you never know what you could get with a draft pick either. Could end up with a really talented player with personality flaws too or an all out bust, but the good news with a draft pick, you aren't out a ton of cap space if they don't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts