Would you be satisfied if the Packers went 9-7?

Would you be satisfied if the Packers went 9-7?

• Yes

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 65.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? (Damn 10 letter minimum)

Because they didn't really improve. They added Raji, Matthews, and Anthony Smith, but two of those guys are rookies that are pretty boom or bust (I didn't like either of them going into the draft, and the other just isn't really all that good). They are a young team that is getting more experienced, for the most part, but their best corps is getting older with Harris and Woodson.

The defense as a whole wasn't impressive last year, and any time there is a change of schemes I tend to expect regression for the first year or two as opposed to instant improvement. We've been down this Kampman road before, but I still say that he was the team's best defensive player last year and now how he is somewhat of unknown. Forgive my sarcasm, but just like I don't expect the defense to magically get better in its transition, I don't expect AK to magically get better in his transition, either.

To kill the suspense, no I'm not a Packer fan. I'm a Viking fan who loves to chat sports. But I'm also level-headed, I give credit where it is due, and try to look at things like this from an analytical persepective instead of a fan's perspective. Discussion is generally more fruitful when everyone isn't looking at things from green or purple tinted glasses.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because they didn't really improve. They added Raji, Matthews, and Anthony Smith, but two of those guys are rookies that are pretty boom or bust (I didn't like either of them going into the draft, and the other just isn't really all that good). They are a young team that is getting more experienced, for the most part, but their best corps is getting older with Harris and Woodson.

The defense as a whole wasn't impressive last year, and any time there is a change of schemes I tend to expect regression for the first year or two as opposed to instant improvement. We've been down this Kampman road before, but I still say that he was the team's best defensive player last year and now how he is somewhat of unknown. Forgive my sarcasm, but just like I don't expect the defense to magically get better in its transition, I don't expect AK to magically get better in his transition, either.

To kill the suspense, no I'm not a Packer fan. I'm a Viking fan who loves to chat sports. But I'm also level-headed, I give credit where it is due, and try to look at things like this from an analytical persepective instead of a fan's perspective. Discussion is generally more fruitful when everyone isn't looking at things from green or purple tinted glasses.

This is going on another thread but when Dom has come in as the DC of a team the D ranks way higher their 1st year under Dom.

The D wasnt impressive, cuz of the starters that were gone for a lot of the season..Those guys are healthy now..

I like your take on it, I dont agree with it cuz I think not being a Pack fan there are some things you just dont hear about or have seen, but level headed and though provoking post

acanofpan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no way man.. if we could go 10-6 that would be sweet action. but if something were to go wrong 8-8 is not bad but i would really enjoy it if we went 10-6

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One can try his best to not be biased, but it's almost impossible. Analyzing issues from the inside is very different from the outside. Packer fans know much more about their team than other fans, but they have feelings about their team. Outsiders can be more imparcial, but they don't have the same info the fans have.

About our D, much like longtimefan said, look at Dom's record everytime he took as DC. Also, the great number of injuries that striked our starters. Those are almost all healed. And the fact that we were the 11th best D in 2007. We lost KBG and Corey Williams. Replaced with Raji and Matthews, and Jeremy Thompson is turning heads (though the practice are without pads.)
For sure our D isn't gonna be as good as yours, but we don't need to. A top 15 unit can propel us to the playoffs. And top 15 is very plausible considering the talent at players AND coaches.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with Dom Capers, Green Bay defense is going to improve a lot from last year. It's still going to be the 3rd best D in the division, but with the offense playing well, Improvement on the defensive side is what there looking for.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will our D be better now with Capers? After last season they have no where to go but up! ;-)

But seriously, the D will have a few rough spots in the beginning but after a couple of games they should be vastly better than that mess we had to witness last year! :puke: :lol:

If Grant can run like he did in '07, Rodgers continues to play well and our D is even a tad better than last season then I like our chances in the NFC North. :sun:

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay has a good chance to content in the NFC North, unfortunatley so does Chicago and Minnesota.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, unless Rodgers, Woodson, Jennings and Kampman go down. And even then we should've got better replacements. If we go under .500, fire'em all.

hubbabubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not. First off, there is no way 9-7 this year in the NFC makes the playoffs and anything but that I'm not at all happy.
Second, people have been saying that last year was a rebuilding year and that this year could be a second rebuilding year. Last year in my opinion should have been another playoff year but for an absurd amount of injuries and some unlucky gusts of wind, aka mason crosby ****** up twice. But the basic core was there of the 2007 season, with the obvious for Brett. But now I think that Aaron will surpass his 4000+ yard season, hopefully get more clutch, and supplant Brett. I love our team right now.
Just because we have a new def doesn't mean that we're rebuilding. It just means we have a new defense. The colts have a new head coach, are they rebuilding? Well, a little bit, and Dungy retired, not fired, but you get the idea.
With the easy schedule this year, I see a 11-5 season easily

Members online

Latest posts