Would you be satisfied if the Packers went 9-7?

Would you be satisfied if the Packers went 9-7?

• Yes

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 65.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
I was reading a season prediction in different forums. I've seen many of these, some ranking us as low as 5-11 and some as high as 12-4. It seems the opinions of many non-Packer fans differ greatly. This particular one put the Packers at 9-7 and second in the NFCN. Vikes went #1 and had about 12 wins and the Bears were third at 9-7 as well.

Now, a part of me would be fine with placing second in the NFCN and breaking .500% but then there's the other part of me. We were really good in 2007, only a couple points away from the Super Bowl. High hopes were set in 2008. A lot of things went well, like Rodgers shining and our offense clicking, and the constant pick 6's from our pro bowl juiced secondary. But certain things went down the drain. Our defense constantly had 4th Quarter Meltdowns, Crosby missed a clutch FG in Minny (it always comes back to me [not that Crosby sucks]), Rodgers couldn't lead the team to a comeback (we know it wasn't all his fault), and key injuries haunted both sides of the ball.

Over this offseason, most of the key injuries have been healed. The Packers drafted in the top 10 and picked up some necessary cogs for the 3-4 defense. Green Bay has revamped their entire defensive coaching staff, aside from Winston Moss. In their spots are guys I would classify as good-very good- and even great. Gone is Rock Gullison, and instead a HOF Strength and Conditioning coach is in his place. Justin Harrell reports don't seem as bleak as before. The Packers had, IMO and many others, one of the best drafts in the NFL. Free Agency added depth, skin over the bones. Rodgers has another year under his belt. Our young components of our OLine will continue to gel and only get better. Jordy and JJ are another year in. J-Mike is in his 2nd year. Our secondary is the same sick secondary. The Packers have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL, next season.

And so, I thought to myself...would I really be satisfied with a 9-7 season?

My answer to that was no. No, this team is too talented and has too much potential to go only 9-7. Am I expecting too much of this team? Can we really do better than 9-7? Maybe its my homer shades but I feel the Packers could do much better than 9-7. Thoughts?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've posted about this in another thread. I stand by what I've said. If we have a 9-7, 2nd place, make at wildcard and win, then I'm pretty happy.

But given how difficult it'll be to qualify in wildcard with 9-7, specially in the NFC, I have to say no. Not only we have too much talent to be happy just with a plus .500 record, but our Staff have had enough time to make us a playoff team.

If, like I said, we make the playoffs, and, baring any unnatural event, win at least one playoff game, then 2008 was an odd year, and we're in the right path.

If we don't make the playoffs, don't matter what happens, injuries ot what (because we should've learned from last year to have enough depth and to adjust the schemes to the current playing personel), then 2007 was an odd year, and what we really are is a mediocre team, and a lot of changes need to be made.

IMO we'll be fine this year. But in the hipotetical argument, that's my take.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I would be happy if the Packer went 6-10 again. But that's just me. The Packers have the talent to go 12-4. But what's I think is going to make or break them is the same thing as last year. First, injuries. Something no one can predict. If they stay healthy then they have a good shot at 12-4. Second, the defense. They just cannot let other teams march down the field in the 4th quarter like they did last year. The switch to 3-4 will take time and it may hurt them in some games but I think overall they should end up with a top 12 defense this year.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Echoing what everyone else pretty much said, if 9-7 makes the playoffs then sure.

I'm sure most teams in the NFL would kill to improve 3 games from their previous season without overspending on an impact free agent or making some sort of blockbuster trade.

Personally, I look into my crystal ball and see 10-6, but 9-7 would be a very nice improvement from the year before.

favrefan4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if they go to the new 18 game schedule then 9-7 might not be good enough to get to the playoffs they might have to be 10-8 you never know but I think this year we will be good enough to get to the playoffs

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9-7 was good enough to get the Cardinals to the Super Bowl last season. If the Packers had been 9-7 last year, if they hadn't lost the second Minnesota & Chicago games by blown Mason Crosby field goals, they would have been NFC North titleists again.
The two essential things for the Packers this year are 1) a winning record and 2) a return to the playoffs. Whatever record gets it done is fine.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think 9-7 would be a mininium for a good year, a good one 10-6 or better. However there still rebuilding and better than 6-10 would be improvement.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 9-7 would be a mininium for a good year, a good one 10-6 or better. However there still rebuilding and better than 6-10 would be improvement.

That is a good point. I am still trying to decide if I feel this year is still a "rebuilding" year. Hard for me to think of it as that but maybe I should so I can lower my expectations???

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many years can be "rebuilding year"? It's been a long time we've been rebuilding.
And TT doesn't think we're rebuilding anymore. All his other drafts he's gone BPA and stockpiled picks just to rebuild. This time, he moved up to pick the perfect players for our team. That speaks a lot.

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I've said in another thread that the record this year doesn't matter as much as the defensive performance. By changing schemes, McCarthy/Thompson have given themselves this year as a bit of a bye. I'm going to be watching where the defense ranks the 2nd half of the year. I especially want to see how the run defense performs in those tough December games.

Assuming the defense improves and plays in the top 16 or top 10 for the 2nd half of the year, and nothing weird happens in the offseason, I would expect 10-11 wins or more next year.

If the defense struggles the entire season, that would be just as bad as going 4-12 to me.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4-12 would be the worst possible case ever and I just can not see that as a possibility. But yeah, if our D shows up this year, 10-11 wins is going to be doable, FOR SURE!

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still trying to decide if I feel this year is still a "rebuilding" year. Hard for me to think of it as that but maybe I should so I can lower my expectations???

I think of it as a rebuilding year as the defense is in a transition, we still have a young quarterback, and The running game needs to improve from last year.

tjb_orlando

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vote NO

1. I voted NO.
  2. A clean division title is the min.
  3. Wildcard is not satisfactory (unless they take it to SB and win!) :victory:

I'm going to be watching where the defense ranks the 2nd half of the year. I especially want to see how the run defense performs in those tough December games.

And my view is similar except I focus on the OL. And similarly to uncle M, I will be looking at the tough stretch, except for me that means the late part OF GAMES!

Can the OL and run game crush opponents in the 4th quarter in September AND in December. If the answer is consistently "AFFIRMATIVE" then I will be expecting big things.
:Dancing:

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in the NFC today you need to be at least 10-6 to make the playoffs. I don't get to see as many green bay games so I'd prefer they make it to the playoffs even if they lose their first game.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread still looks split right down the middle. I am still holding on to 9-7 being the magic number to make the playoffs considering who else is in our division...

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many years can be "rebuilding year"? It's been a long time we've been rebuilding.
And TT doesn't think we're rebuilding anymore. All his other drafts he's gone BPA and stockpiled picks just to rebuild. This time, he moved up to pick the perfect players for our team. That speaks a lot.

We should call it a "rebounding" rather than a rebuilding year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still holding on to 9-7 being the magic number to make the playoffs considering who else is in our division...
But you have to consider the NFC South and East too. Do you really think that from the Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Cowboys, Panthers, Saints, Falcons and Buccaneers, at least 4 of them won't be 9-7? The wildcard will be though to get...

Members online

Latest posts