Would the Pack have an edge?

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think the Packers would have an edge, because the SB is in a dome?
Packers-Steelers Super Bowl XLV Dope Sheet
INSIDE JOB

After playing five of the past six games outdoors in cold-weather conditions, the Packers will head indoors for the second time this postseason, an environment they have had some success in during Head Coach Mike McCarthy’s tenure.
Super Bowl XLV at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, will be the sixth time in franchise history that the Packers have played in a dome in the postseason. It will be the second time they have played indoors in a Super Bowl, with the first instance coming in Super Bowl XXXI vs. New England at the Superdome in New Orleans on Jan. 26, 1997.
Since McCarthy took over in 2006, the Packers are 11-6 (.647) in dome games (including playoffs).
McCarthy won his first six dome games as a head coach before the Packers fell just short at Minnesota in a 28-27 loss on Nov. 9, 2008.
Green Bay’s offense has been productive indoors, averaging 381.6 yards of total offense and 30.6 points in the 17 dome games compared to averages of 356.3 yards per game and 24.3 points per game in outdoor contests over that span. In 12 of the 17 dome games, the Packers posted at least 370 yards of total offense.
QB Aaron Rodgers has a 111.5 passer rating in 12 career starts (including postseason) in domes, with 3,434 passing yards, 25 TDs and just six INTs on 264-of-385 passing (68.6 percent).
His 111.5 passer rating indoors (including playoffs) since 2008 ranks No. 1 in the NFL. He leads the league in yards per attempt at 8.92 and ranks No. 2 in interception percentage at 1.6 (min. 200 attempts).
Rodgers has registered seven 300-yard games in domes in his 12 starts, and has averaged 286.2 passing yards per game despite playing less than a half at Detroit this season in Week 14 (concussion).
Of his top five single-game yardage totals, three have come indoors, including a career-best 423 yards at Arizona last year in a Wild Card game (Jan. 10, 2010) and 366 yards at Atlanta this season in the Divisional contest (Jan. 15, 2011).
The Packers’ defense has done its part as well, posting 36 takeaways (2.1 per game) and seven defensive touchdowns in the 17 dome games since ’06, including six contests with at least three takeaways. That has contributed to Green Bay’s plus-11 turnover ratio indoors since 2006.

Since the arrival of MM, the Pack is 11-6 in domes, Rodgers has a 111+ passer rating and averages 300 yards and offense total average points of 30.6!

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I'm really excited to see what rodgers can do. he verbalized after the Atlanta game that he enjoys playing in a dome

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely think the perfect conditions of a dome give us a slight edge, but Ben is no slouch either. Remember, he threw for 500 yards against us last year. The guy can get it done through the air to be sure.

Their defense will have speed and can rush the passer better than most anyone else. And Troy Polamalu is scary good, plus he didn't play last time. This is going to be a tough matchup.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I wonder if that will give the packer defense an edge as they'll be more explosive off the line on artificial turf against the weaken O-line of the Steelers?

OP
OP
Zeck180

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack this year have played in the two most loudest domes the Metro Dome and Georgia Dome, well until they slapped on 30+ points.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Cowboy Stadium is far from loud at all. The acoustics are all jacked up.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus at worst the crowd will only be 50% Packer fans. My bet is there will be atleast 60%

L

Lunchboxer

Packers usually did good in Domes. Look at the Last Atlanta Game they Killed the Falcons in Home Turf in a Dome.

I think we got a Slight Edge when it comes to that.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It's a decided edge (Dome). You know they give Pittsburgh their "experience" factor which I think it complete nonsense. So even them out.
The Packers are a much faster team than the Steelers, also receivers can run those precise routes. The dome is a certain edge for the Packers. Oh, how about we're a better team too, that's an edge.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's give and take with the edges. I really think these two are the closest to being equal as I've seen in a long time. Comparing and contrasting at every level is really hard, they are both so good. The only area I question about the Packers is special teams. It's been the bane of our existence all year. But I will say I've noticed an improvement in them during the post season. They've played up and I'm proud of them. But comparing offense and defense is what is tricky as you can pretty much go back and forth all day countering weapon after weapon. All this means is it's going to be a really good game!

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
rodgers loves himself some dome ;)

He sure does, and he often follows a mediocre performance with an outstanding one. (Let's hope it happens that way again. :pray:)

Also, regarding experience - he seems fairly unflappable in general, just his personality type. I'm not worried about Rodgers never having been there before. Not really. (There may be other guys with the jitters, but I think that'll be okay too, once things get going.)

Barring any really unfortunate mistakes, I like our chances in this one. Naturally,anything can happen - but I feel like if we want it more (and I think we very well may), we have a better-than-decent chance to win.

FOUR MORE QUARTERS!

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're averaging 47 points/game in domes under this regime in the playoffs. Yes, small sample size. They are just built better for a dome with the way they fling the ball around. As long as they get decent protection I expect another huge day, 300+ and 3 or more TDs are not unrealistic.

Members online

Latest posts