Would Rodgers ever leave the pocket if...

OP
OP
C

ColtsSeahawks

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he has said that in several interviews, however, in those same interviews he has also said, he won't change his style of play ... - And that should cause some concerns ...

As for Romo ... - Romo has been far more consistent overall than Rodgers ... and the players have had "similar" career starts in terms of how they came to play ... - Yet the only singular reason as to why Romo has been slammed so much in the media is because the Cowboys haven't won a play off game with Romo at the helm ... in the meanwhile ... the Packers have failed to reach the play-offs at all with Rodgers ...

At this point ... I still think if we compare Romo and Rodgers ... then Romo is better quarterback of the two ...

Ya not to sure I agree with this.... Rodgers is not a hot and cold qb at all... The team finished 6-10 last year but that didnt have to do with Rodgers... Maybe that is a slight part of it... But the defense really let them down last year.

Lets look at some of the close games they lost.... Against Atlanta they put up 24 points, against Minnesota they put up 27 points, Carolina 31 points.... That is three games right there that they put up some very good points on offense that could have won them the game and taken them to 9-7... The defense just couldnt make big plays when needed.

Dallas on the other hand had a great defense last year.... Romo choked big time however against Philly at the end of the year... I have yet to see Rodgers choke that bad in a game. When Dallas played teams like the Browns they shut them down to 10 points... They shut the Packers down to 16 points, the 2nd time they played the Giants shut them down to 8 points, Seahawks to 9 points, Redskins to 10 points... And that is when Washington was a playoff contending team. In 5 games they let those offenses score a total of 53 points which is pretty amazing. The Packers let close to that many points go alone against the Saints.

Of course Dallas had a good offense as well and scored alot of points in alot of games... But as someone already said they had a very good running game in which Green bay didnt have a very successful running game last year. Aaron Rodgers had to take the team on his shoulders so to speak and did a very good job.. He was consistent all year without a good defense and an average running game. Romo Completely folded down the stretch, Rodgers did not.

Edit: By the way Greenbay had a better running game then I thought last year... I didnt realise it was that good, I just checked the stats and they actually had a solid running game... As did Dallas, but Green Bay had way more attempts then Dallas did. None the less I still think Aaron is a better QB then Romo.... Dallas also had a very good O line last year as well.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
First off, really nice to see some one being able to discuss games without tossing "insults" there ... - While we may disagree, nevertheless, it's very refreshing to be able to discuss matters like this :)

Ya not to sure I agree with this.... Rodgers is not a hot and cold qb at all... The team finished 6-10 last year but that didnt have to do with Rodgers... Maybe that is a slight part of it... But the defense really let them down last year.

7 games last season ... where the Packers was a score or less behind ... - resulting in a loss ... - I'd say one could argue that as being "cold" as well, especially when putting up "consistent" stats, like Rodgers did ...

Lets look at some of the close games they lost.... Against Atlanta they put up 24 points, against Minnesota they put up 27 points, Carolina 31 points.... That is three games right there that they put up some very good points on offense that could have won them the game and taken them to 9-7... The defense just couldnt make big plays when needed.

Can't argue there, except alot of those points were put up against defenses that had gone into coverage defenses ... Because their teams were already being ahead ... (The Vikings game on MNF especially comes to mind ...)

Dallas on the other hand had a great defense last year.... Romo choked big time however against Philly at the end of the year... I have yet to see Rodgers choke that bad in a game. When Dallas played teams like the Browns they shut them down to 10 points... They shut the Packers down to 16 points, the 2nd time they played the Giants shut them down to 8 points, Seahawks to 9 points, Redskins to 10 points... And that is when Washington was a playoff contending team. In 5 games they let those offenses score a total of 53 points which is pretty amazing. The Packers let close to that many points go alone against the Saints.

I'd say that is as much on the offense as well ... *If* the offense is as good as people say and think it is ... (not mentioning the teams they played against), then the offense by all accounts *should* have been able to make more plays ...

Of course Dallas had a good offense as well and scored alot of points in alot of games... But as someone already said they had a very good running game in which Green bay didnt have a very successful running game last year. Aaron Rodgers had to take the team on his shoulders so to speak and did a very good job.. He was consistent all year without a good defense and an average running game. Romo Completely folded down the stretch, Rodgers did not.

I'd say the running game of Green Bay has been pretty much the "same" the past 3 seasons now ... - In 2007 Green Bay didn't have a running for more than half the first part of the season (think it was game 8 or 9 before we saw some "real" running back then ...).

I wouldn't say Rodgers have "shouldered" the Packers yet ... - in 2007 for more than half the first part of the season you would see the Packers offense with an empty back field ... - Been a while since we've seen that from the Packers last season and this season though ...

Again I would say that when you have 7 close games (last season) within a scores difference to win - that is the time where a quarterback would need to "shoulder the team" ... - In *some* ways you *could* argue that as "failing" (or "choking") when the game is on the line ...

Edit: By the way Greenbay had a better running game then I thought last year... I didnt realise it was that good, I just checked the stats and they actually had a solid running game... As did Dallas, but Green Bay had way more attempts then Dallas did. None the less I still think Aaron is a better QB then Romo.... Dallas also had a very good O line last year as well.

Again, so far ... in my opinion, Romo (currently) is still the better quarterback ... in many ways ... Romo plays under alot more pressure than Rodgers is, because as many point out ... there is "no excuse" for Romo, which is why he is taking alot of blame when things don't go "right" ...

Another reason I think this, is also because, Romo hasn't been "afraid" to risk it when it was needed, and as we all know ... when the game is on the line ... you need to "risk it" ... - some times it goes bad, but most the times (provided the quarterback is good), it will end up well ...

Despite being the quarterback with most interceptions, Favre is also the quarterback with most come back wins (in 4th quarter) ... And so far, based on games played ... where the opportunity has been there, Rodgers have come up very short, because he is more willing to take the sack, than taking the chance to "Throw his receivers open" ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 games last season ... where the Packers was a score or less behind ... - resulting in a loss ... - I'd say one could argue that as being "cold" as well, especially when putting up "consistent" stats, like Rodgers did ...
That is only half the true. Without doing any research, just from what I remember, the Carolina and Houston game we had the lead with less than 2 minutes to end the game. In those, it was the D.

It's not automatic: 7 games lost by one possession and it's on the QB...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That is only half the true. Without doing any research, just from what I remember, the Carolina and Houston game we had the lead with less than 2 minutes to end the game. In those, it was the D.

It's not automatic: 7 games lost by one possession and it's on the QB...

Carolina game, up by 3 with 2 mins to go, then 30 secs later down 35-31

Houston game- tied at 21, packers drive to their 25 with under 3 mins to go..Holding on Moll, pushed back to their 32, next play Rodgers took a ( I am pretty sure it was ) 2 step drop and he was sacked loss of 9..Then 3rd and 26 at their 41, and coach calls a middle TE screen for 3 yards..

They punt Texans get ball on their 3 with 149 to go...

They get to the 22 yard line and kick the fg to win

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't argue there, except alot of those points were put up against defenses that had gone into coverage defenses ... Because their teams were already being ahead ... (The Vikings game on MNF especially comes to mind ...)

I think you got that wrong..

Packers only got one TD in 4th q of that game..and that was with about 6 mins left..

Vikings had 2 tds in the 4th

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I think you got that wrong..

Packers only got one TD in 4th q of that game..and that was with about 6 mins left..

Vikings had 2 tds in the 4th

I think you read my post wrong ... I was referring to the Monday Night game at the Metrodome on October 5th this year ...

1st Quarter GB 7 / Min 7
2nd Quarter GB 7 / Min 14
3rd Quarter GB 0 / Min 7
4th Quarter GB 9 / Min 2

Members online

Latest posts