Would losing a game early be good for us?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another poster mentioned MM being upset with the offense and RBs. He mentioned the team looks good on paper but they arent where they need to be. Im not sure of the teams attitude to be honest, but I wonder if a wake up call would help? Could a lose be a blessing?

I think a couple rough series for the offense in the preseason could help.

In 97 the packers lost 2 of the first 5 games before winning 10 of the next 11.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No need to panic.
Take a deep breath.
We still have quite a ways to go before the first kick off.
These are pros.
They have enough time to get things worked out.

And didn't you sorta mention in another thread that all teams are struggling, since it is a short pre-season, when someone else brought up the Pack having problems?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sure all teams are rusty at this point in the season. It helped we played longer than every other team in the NFL last year. Honestly, it's very possible we could lose 3 of our first 5 games.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not at panic point, that's rare for me, I'm concerned with the attitude of the team. Lombardi would be going nuts out there.

Yeah, i did comment about the defense being ahead of the offense being pretty common in the league. I think Peter king mentioned it with the eagles jets and Vikings maybe. I'm just concerned with the attitude at this point. I like the hustle out of a few of the rookies and am pleased to see a few of the players I dislike working themselves out of green n gold.

I would hate for this to turn into "teams that practiced together in the offseason are better than ones who didn't" bc the whole concept of that seems insane. But the media will run with it if we lose to the saints.

These are the ramblingS of a very tired man. Goodnight.

Jasonfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say absolutely not. A loss before the playoffs I sometimes like but not early in the season.

The other question is whether GB is better off losing so they can play in the playoffs in domes/warm weather as opposed to outdoors at Lambeau

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other question is whether GB is better off losing so they can play in the playoffs in domes/warm weather as opposed to outdoors at Lambeau
I know you guys are Packers fans but why this interest in seeing the Packers lose all of a sudden?

And I want the playoff games to return to the frozen tundra so they can start the tradition of having playoff wins at Lambeau again. Something that stopped happening when the previous QB was there.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definitely are full of confidence entering the season.
I am also very interested to see if that translates to winning the close games early and during the season.
Also if and when we do lose, will that aura of invincibility & confidence be gone?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had a rough practice last night, but the offense looked sharp in previous practices. Not too worried about it at the moment. Preseason is here as well, which will go a long way towards exposing their flaws.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
No, since it would cause this forum to panic. Now for the Pack, eh, a close game with a come from behind win would be a nicer way for a wake up call than a lose. ;)

Reaction score
A preseason game? Sure. Any other game Past September 1st will be unacceptable. It would be good for the team to come close to losing to make them humble again, but losing is the lowest of the lows. Losing might cause us to lose our swag and maybe cause us to lose more games. Losing might cause the team chemistry to go down. Losing might cause players to play with less confidence, therefore, not play as well. I think winning the first 19 games would be a good start for us.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at this as something good. I think if TT is focusing on his offense/ RBs, that means they are just a shade less than perfection. Keep in mind that many of these RBs are young, not including Grant. Starks is entering into his second year, Green is but a rookie, we also got Kuhn in the mix. I feel strongly we will be OK with our RBs. It looks like TT recognizes them as an area of possible weakness and is thusly concentrating on them and calling them out. That is motivation.

As for the question about losing a game early being a good thing. It all depends on how the team deals with it as it can determine where they go from there. I think with this team, seeing what I have seen of their spirit and motivation, I would say any lose would motivate them to dig deeper. This is not a team of quitters. In a perfect world, we would not lose the game to begin with, but I think projecting us to go 16 - 0 is a bit too optimistic. We are going to lose a game at some point, most likely a stunner that we didn't see coming. I think it's very important for team morale to be prepared for that in advance so you know how to deal with it and move onto the next game with your head held high and ready to win. I think TT has got this team right where he wants them. I'm not worried about them losing a game early or at any other point in the season. This team knows who they are and where they are going. TT is merely perfecting perfection (in terms of the offense/RBs). :)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It goes back to one of the first things McCarthy said upon becoming the Packer head coach. Something about the most difficult thing this team will face is handling success. It is an amazing statistic that the last 5 (or so) SB champions were unable to make the playoffs the next season. How can that be? To go from best in the NFL to not even best in your division, 5 times in a row!

Just shows how competitive and evenly matched the teams are these days. Any hint of relaxation due to success, takes an imperceptible 'edge' off your competitiveness, and you drop like a rock in the standings.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer if we had to lose any close losses to be mid season. A good start is vital for the defending champions, erases all talk of a superbowl hangover. The team doesn't lose confidence etc. Cowboys and Vikings lost some tough early games last year and never recovered. Not the best examples but yeah.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another poster mentioned MM being upset with the offense and RBs. He mentioned the team looks good on paper but they arent where they need to be. Im not sure of the teams attitude to be honest, but I wonder if a wake up call would help? Could a lose be a blessing?

I think a couple rough series for the offense in the preseason could help.

In 97 the packers lost 2 of the first 5 games before winning 10 of the next 11.
Losing early, no.

But some hard games would be great, some nail biters would help keep the team focused.
I'd prefer if we had to lose any close losses to be mid season. A good start is vital for the defending champions, erases all talk of a superbowl hangover. The team doesn't lose confidence etc. Cowboys and Vikings lost some tough early games last year and never recovered. Not the best examples but yeah.

Hang on a sec. while I check something on the top of the page.
Let's see here...
It reads "Packer Forum."
OK just had to make sure that I didn't wander over into the Browns or Lions forum by mistake.
But from reading a thread with posts like these, I'm still not sure if I'm in the right fan forum.
OK now I'll pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.
It's just a bad dream FF. Wake up. Wake up!
Nope, it's reality.

I can't believe that such a thread would be started on a Packers forum by a few fans who agree with it.
Did someone hack into your accounts? An evil twin or an evil clone?
You guys want the Packers to actually loose because you think it will help them? Since when did losing games ever do that? Just because it happened last year for them, does not mean it can happen again.
The only way to gain composure is to win.
Winning breeds confidence and losing breeds just more losing.
Take a look at the Browns or other teams that are in the cellar year after year. Those guys lose but they never bounce back.

I'm not convinced that losing an early game would be of any benefit. Losing brings down moral & enthusiasm. I say, "Win 'em all!!!". Wins build confidence.
Green Bay Gal is right on and sums up nicely my feelings on the matter to.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was mostly upset at our RB's -- one who's been out all season and the other who may have an attitude problem.

In the same light, one is hungry to actually help contribute to the team while the other is trying to win over a starting position.

It was just a bad practice it seems.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really depends on the team and how they as a team handle losing. A championship team is resilient. They can overcome anything, walk through fire while lesser teams crumble and fall. I don't think a person on this forum (I hope) wants the Packers to intentionally through a game just to prove to themselves and fans that they can bounce back from it. That is just madness. But I think we are gonna have to face the fact that at some point in this season the team is going to lose. The point I am trying to make is that when that does occur, I think it will make the team stronger and more determined. Sometimes you have to know how to lose to know how to win. You have to know how to put it into perspective. I think some of our losses in last season speak even louder than our wins. I know it sounds strange to say it but think on it. It's fighr or flight. Losses, as devastating as they may seem can motivate a team even more than a big win.

Reaction score
A preseason game? Sure. Any other game Past September 1st will be unacceptable. It would be good for the team to come close to losing to make them humble again, but losing is the lowest of the lows. Losing might cause us to lose our swag and maybe cause us to lose more games. Losing might cause the team chemistry to go down. Losing might cause players to play with less confidence, therefore, not play as well. I think winning the first 19 games would be a good start for us.

Losing does not do all of that. Losing has been good for the packers once and a while. The last 2 years we've done alright in the beginning and we've lost to a couple of teams that we should never lose to. Dolphins redskins last year and the buccaneers the year before that. After all of those losses the packers regained their strength and played their best football after a loss. in 2009 after the buccaneers loss they won 7 of their next 8. in 2010 we had to overcome injuries and tough losses and we did that. We fought our way into the playoffs and ended up winning the superbowl. Sure no one likes a packers loss but once and a while the packers will get sloppy with their play. It will take a loss to bad team to wake them back up. I'm not saying the packers should lose all the time. I'm saying a packers loss isn't always bad

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing early, no.

But some hard games would be great, some nail biters would help keep the team focused.
The perfect scenario would be to have a big early game, either the opener vs the Saints, or week 3 at Chicago or week 5 at Atlanta, where the Packers are down by 1 with seconds to go, and our chokey kicker Crosby MAKES a (or some) do-or-die game-winning field goals.

That's all we're missing.
If Crosby gets confidence in the clutch kicks, we're all set.

But I want to go 19-0 to be perfectly honest.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck no. Losing is never a good thing. Sure, I expect them, but that doesn't mean that's a good thing. In my mind, the only thing losing leads to is more losing.

The Packers don't need losses in the regular season to humble themselves and find out their flaws. That's what the preseason is for.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really depends on the team and how they as a team handle losing. A championship team is resilient. They can overcome anything, walk through fire while lesser teams crumble and fall. I don't think a person on this forum (I hope) wants the Packers to intentionally through a game just to prove to themselves and fans that they can bounce back from it. That is just madness. But I think we are gonna have to face the fact that at some point in this season the team is going to lose. The point I am trying to make is that when that does occur, I think it will make the team stronger and more determined. Sometimes you have to know how to lose to know how to win. You have to know how to put it into perspective. I think some of our losses in last season speak even louder than our wins. I know it sounds strange to say it but think on it. It's fighr or flight. Losses, as devastating as they may seem can motivate a team even more than a big win.
I have managed and played on various softball teams through the years each summer.
And here is one thing I have learned.
No matter how much coaching is done or practices we have, there will be certain players who will never be better than they already are.
Like there are a couple of girls who will never be able to hit the ball past the infield no matter how many batting practice hits they get.
My point is that it takes more than just determination. It takes talent. And if the talent isn't there, then it's just hopeless to win no matter how much desire there is to do so even after a loss or two.
And I think the Packers are a talented enough team that they don't need any losses for a wake up call.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The end goal is always the Lombardi trophy.

The Pats in 07 I believe would have won if they had lost in week 17. different situations I know.

Hopefully MM knows the team well enough to get through to them and the vets on the team can keep everyone realistic. Other than overconfidence I worry about the offense bickering bc of not everyone getting the # of balls they want.

Members online

Latest posts