Would it be wrong for TT to go offensive with his 1st pick?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my perfect world the packers franchise and trade flynn to move up in the draft. They draft Devon Still for the defensive line then with their original pick they pick up Nick Perry. Similar to drafting BJ Raji and Clay Matthews I think these 2 pieces could be added to those other 2 to add a pretty formidable defensive group. I then would like to use the 2nd round pick on an offensive lineman, if Wells go we can pickup a center or if not we can always use depth (there are only so many big bodies each year). I would like the 3rd round pick to be used on a safety, Markelle Martin in my dream, he even reminds me a little of nick collins. 4th and 5th can be interchanged but I would like to pickup a running back and cornerback in those rounds.

I would like this to happen to the packers. We were 15-1 last year and had a bad game at the wrong time of year. We have a core that can compete for years to come but I think we need to push it as hard as we can while we have it.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okcpackerfan,
I'm not attacking you but I really dont like your picks that much, I do like the positions you choose though.

D. Still looked kinda bad at the combine, soft, slow and not very explosive, not terrible but there's better options. And N. Perry is fast and strong but but very stiff... had a poor 3 cone drill time of 7.25 seconds, which the standard is... below 7.0 3-4 OLB, above 7.0 4-3 DE. So he doesnt really fit as a 3-4 OLB, again better options.

I like Fletcher Cox, 3-4 DE Miss St., and as far as 3-4 OLB's I think they're gonna have to trade up to get a good one like Gilmore or Upshaw. I really dont think any other 3-4 OLB's are 1st round worthy. If a good ILB like Kuechley or Hightower drops to them they'd have to think hard about selecting them.
In the 2nd I'd choose whichever of those two positions not picked in the 1st. In the 3rd or 4th a center and the rest of the picks... CB, S, ILB and more DL.

If TT doesnt trade up to get that special DE or OLB I think he'll trade down because I dont think theres much to choose from at those positions at the bottom of the 1st round.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Don't forgot to dance with the girl who brung ya"

TT has built a SB champion team whose depth of talent is second to none in the NFL. Why would he suddenly change to the more common "Knee Jerk Reaction System" of drafting?

I would say TT made an absolute pick of need in last years draft. Sherrod was an definite need pick as we needed a LT replacement for Clifton. Pre-draft the talk was would TT take Sherrod or Brooks Reed?(who had a great rookie year), both major need areas. We'll I guess Sherrod had the higher grade. All I'm saying (unless it was a huge coincidence) is maybe TT does pick for need not just BPA?

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming Nick Collins can still play football and the Packers add at least one defensive lineman and outside linebacker in free agency, then no, I would't mind.

I don't see what offensive position should/could be addressed in the first round, but why not. If you think about it, quarterback, receiver, tight end, tackle and guard would be a stretch.
As far as Nick Collins,you hope for the best but expect the worst

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well know about Nick soon enough. Even still you might want to draft at his position anyways

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce Irvin should be our OLB pick in round 2 (may have to move up to get him). 2nd in the nation in sacks last year and had a 4.43 40 time so he can easily keep up witha TE or slot receiver. Him and I solid DE in round one would be PRIME. Followed by safety, center, speed RB and a corner and/or OL/DL

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are in that sweet spot where some good player is going to fall for no real reason and Ted will grab him. He always seems to do well in the 2nd thru 4th rounds anyhow so if some player falls thru the cracks and Ted can scarf him up in the 1st it just means he's on his way to another killer draft.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce Irvin should be our OLB pick in round 2 (may have to move up to get him). 2nd in the nation in sacks last year and had a 4.43 40 time so he can easily keep up witha TE or slot receiver. Him and I solid DE in round one would be PRIME. Followed by safety, center, speed RB and a corner and/or OL/DL

if that's the case, I suppect that TT will trade back to the top of the second round the same as when he drafted Jordy Nelson

Packerplays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see them going after someone like RB Doug Martin in the second round if Grant isn't re-signed. Let's face it, James Starks isn't 100% reliable, Alex Green has limited experience, and Brandon Saine is about the only one who can block. Martin is a tough inside runner, who can catch the ball well, and be a third down blocking back.

PACKERS MOCK

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fletcher Cox will probably not be there at #28, but Nick Perry might be. Perry has all the look of a solid 1st round pick and could play either OLB or DE, although OLB in a 3-4 is probably his best bet. He beefed up to 271 for the combine and it was all muscle. He didn't lose any speed or quickness.

Apparently TT went to the Badgers Pro workout and took a long look at Zeitler. Zeitler played OC at the senior bowl and he can play that position. There is some speculation that TT may try to nab him in the 2nd round, especially if Wells is not re-signed. Zeitler could be a nice pick for us since he plays both guard and center, and he definitely impressed at the combines and at the workout.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT would go offensive with his first pick I would hope it would be a stud lineman. Our passing offense runs so much better when AR has time to throw. I think that is what make Brady so good. He always seems to have time. When he is hurried he is just like everyone else.
Rds 1 & 2for D lineman 3& 4 RB & OL,preferablly a LT

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they took Konz or possibly (but I doubt it.) even a rb, since there are a lot of "tweener" pass-rushers in this draft that they can get later. I think that a lot depends on the health of Nick Collins. If he has to retire, I could definitely see GB go after s/Mark Barron, cb/Stephon Gilmore, or they could trade out of the 1st & grab s/Harrison Smith. I would be happy w/any of those guys. Also, if Grant isn't re-signed, does anyone trust Starks, no matter how much upside he may have? Alexander Green wasn't a burner to begin with (4.52-4.55) & now he's coming off a serious knee injury (& can't hang on to the ball either.) & Saine is injury prone & unproven & couldn't even get the starting gig @ OSU. He's kind of like a poor man's Najeh Davenport. If GB doesn't resign Grant, they'll probably draft a rb, especially since they want to use a 2 back system (which I don't like unless you have a C.J. Spiller/Kendall Hunter type of back as your 2nd back & GB doesn't draft smaller rb's, so...). If you're going to draft/sign the same kind of rb's all of the time, like GB has done since Wolf was GM, aside from De'mond Parker, Basil Mitchell & Herbert "Whisper" Goodman, you might as well use the best one as the "bell-cow" back & give him 16-22 attempts per game. I do hope that GB resigns Wells, but obviously not for the price he & his agent are currently asking for. Yes, he's undersized but he's someone you really never think about, in a good way; ) He's solid, intelligent & I would certainly want him to help groom his own replacement. Having an up & coming Detroit team w/Fairey, Williams, Avril, Hill & Suh....& @ least 3 of those guys will only get better, GB definitely needs a big, strong & intelligent O-line.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go ballistic. :mad: He needs to pick a player for the defense. I don't want to go through another year watching a defense as pourous as ours. We all know he isn't going to venture into free agency. There's got to be a LB, DE/DT, or DB available when he picks that measures just as good or close as an offensive player on his draft board.

We need a defensive player at any of the aforementioned positions more than an offensive player.

Do you recall when Forrest Gregg took over & it was in the "war room" during the '84 draft where he told his scouts (& i'm paraphrasing a little.), "I don't care who it is & if he doesn't have a 1st round grade, but find me a defensive player (or maybe a d-lineman?) that I can take w/our 1st round pick!!" That ended up being de/Alphonso Carreker, who some teams had a 3rd round grade on. Luckily, '84 wasn't that good of a draft year. Others that were taken in the 1st were: wr/Kenny Jackson (PHI), cb/russell Carter (NYJ), de/rick Bryan (ATL), lb/Billy Cannon Jr. (DAL), lb/Jackie Shipp (MIA), cb/Mossy Cade (SD), wr/Clyde Duncan (STL), nt/Bill Maas (KC), nt/Pete Koch (CIN), lb/Wilbur Marshall (CHI, who was taken 1 pick before GB.) & lb/Todd Shell (SF). Hmmm.....I wonder if GB would've grabbed Marshall if Chicago didn't take him? Probably not, Gregg drafted for "need".

This is a deep draft for pass-rushers so unless Ted has his eye on one of them, expect him NOT to draft one in the 1st.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2012 season isn't going to be about impact from this years draft, it's going to be about the impact from growth from players of previous drafts.

Raji, Williams need to bounce back as well.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2012 season isn't going to be about impact from this years draft, it's going to be about the impact from growth from players of previous drafts.

Raji, Williams need to bounce back as well.

I agree with you that players like Raji, Tramon Williams, Shilds and Burnett need to bounce back and regain their 2010 form. Hopefully OTA's pay off. I would also love for Nick Collins to come back healthy.

I think the draft makes a difference along the defensive line. I have no faith Mike Neal. Iwant to have faith in Neal because the guy looks like he could run through a wall, but I just don't. Is it too early the say that the Mike Neal is the key to the offseason?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if that's the case, I suppect that TT will trade back to the top of the second round the same as when he drafted Jordy Nelson

I would personally rather see the Packers back into the second round than pick an offensive player in the first round. Packers drafted their OT, RB and WR of the future last year. Sherrod and Green are coming off of injuries, but it's not like they're dead. They'll heal and come back. Sherrod was drafted to be the LT of the future.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (ver possible) but I heard Sherrod's leg was like shattered and has metal pins in it? That can not be good for a 300lb guy to try to anchor with

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts