Would it be possible?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
With today's parity, today's rules and the league structure, can this organization with it's youth and excellent coaching/management possibly have a shot at eclipsing the teams of the 60's? Would it be possible for the modern club to use this decade to put the 60's in a secondary role of fame?

Reaction score
Anything is possible. As long as Rodgers plays lights out, we won't have to worry about the defense. If the defense gets a couple turnovers a game that would equal a win. Do that game after game and the Packers have a good shot at it.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely it is. The rules have changed to favor the QB and we have one of the best in the business. If he continues to play at the same high level that we've come to expect, there is no reason why the 2010's Green Bay Packers cannot become the team of the decade and a more storied team than that of the Packers teams of yesteryear.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
5 championships in 7 years is really tough to put in a secondary role. With league wide parity, you need to be above average to make the playoffs then all teams are basically even. Because of parity and schedule structure, every year or two it seems there is a new "team of the decade" that doesn't last more than a few seasons. Those are the teams that knock out the above average teams in the playoffs. So while it is possible to be really good for a long time, beating the upstarts time after time to win many titles in a short period is nigh near impossible.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Packers of the 60s eclipsed the packers of the 1930s and I think another three peat is possible. I still have a hard time swallowing mccarthy as an all time great coach but the facts put up an undefeatable argument for him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To expand on what Pappa San said I think it’s certainly possible the Packers will be the team of this decade but to eclipse the Lombardi Packers would mean more than a three-peat as extraordinarily difficult as that would be. They would have to win four more championships over these seasons to match Lombardi’s 5 titles in 7 years:

2011:
2012:
2013:
2014:
2015:
2016:

Win it all in all but two of those seasons. That’s how dominant the Lombardi Packers were.

Even if they do, by the end of 2016 season, Thompson will have been the GM for 12 years and McCarthy HC for 11, so technically they wouldn’t have matched Lombardi’s success of 5 titles in 9 years as HC or his 10 years as GM. Don’t get me wrong, if they come close I WON’T CARE about comparisons to Lombardi!

If the Packers win just one more championship under Thompson/McCarthy, Thompson will have eclipsed Wolf and McCarthy will have eclipsed Holmgren in Packers’ lore. Go back to Thompson’s hiring or McCarthy’s and consider your expectations then.

In a recent Packer Plus article, Reischel writes that with this incredible winning streak, McCarthy’s Packers are winning road games, including playoffs, at a .600 pace. That’s better than Lambeau’s .563 and Holmgren’s .469. But McCarthy’s teams have a ways to go to match Vince Lombardi’s .711 road winning percentage. No, it will be nearly impossible to match Lombardi’s record of titles. And Thompson/McCarthy don’t even have to come close to become immortalized in Packers’ – and NFL - history!

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers of the 60s eclipsed the packers of the 1930s and I think another three peat is possible. I still have a hard time swallowing mccarthy as an all time great coach but the facts put up an undefeatable argument for him.
Yup. I remember cursing him as the Niners OC. But what he's done with the Pack is amazing.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 championships in 7 seasons is next to impossible. I'd say those last two championships for Lombardi were even harder because first you had the NFL championship, then this AFL-NFL challenge thing that was a battle against teams they had never seen before (better known as the Super Bowl). What they did was pretty amazing and probably will never be matched.

Of course Steelers fans think they're the only team to win 4 championships in a decade (never mind that the 49ers matched that in the 80s anyway).

Members online

Latest posts