WOULD AN 18GAME SEASON MAKE SENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
That idea has been floated around but with all the injuries, I would not feel bad for a 14 game season eliminating the buy week completely…….

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. The NFL is different than baseball, basketball or hockey. Each game is special, as there aren't too many. You add too many, it begins to take away the importance of an individual game. You lose a baseball game in June, so what? You lose a football game in November? It really hurts your chances of making the playoffs.

That's my main reason, never mind more injuries, even more expanded rosters, and various records being shattered.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
NFL wants more money--- that is why a 18 game season is being talked about and probably will be granted in less than 5 years..

No way in hell are they even thinking about a 14 game season, let alone even talking about it..

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Personally even though i'm still pretty young I just hate the idea because it invalidates all of the Record books. If the NFL wants to make more money they should re-consider the way they currently split the games on sunday. If there are 6 games going on I'm sick an tired of only getting 1 game to choose from to watch. These guys should be able to think of a better way to monetize their current product rather than the silly idea of directv sunday ticket. I would feel dirty seeing records broken because said player simply had more games to set the record than the previous record holder.(I know they already extended the season once before but that doesnt mean they should do it again)

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The talk has been about going to 18 games and reducing the number of preseason games rather than the regular season. Reducing the number of games that don't count for the season but are increased opportunities for important players getting injured does make some sense.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One idea I heard floated recently was them adding games, but putting a thing in where the players still couldn't play in all 18.
For example, a player would have to sit out at least 2 of the games, so they only can play a max of 16 each season.

I think this idea is a result of the massive amount of injuries and moreso, lawsuits from the concussion ones. There will be more and more lawsuits going forward, and the NFL doesn't like that.

The lawsuits may prevent them from being able to get the schedule expanded at all. I hope it does.

As much as we love football, it's so brutally violent, just too many injuries. Except somehow to the f*%#* 49ers always.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Personally even though i'm still pretty young I just hate the idea because it invalidates all of the Record books. If the NFL wants to make more money they should re-consider the way they currently split the games on sunday. If there are 6 games going on I'm sick an tired of only getting 1 game to choose from to watch. These guys should be able to think of a better way to monetize their current product rather than the silly idea of directv sunday ticket. I would feel dirty seeing records broken because said player simply had more games to set the record than the previous record holder.(I know they already extended the season once before but that doesnt mean they should do it again)
More like twice before. They went from 12 games to 14 then to 16. Back in the early days they played from 10-14 games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard that to Frank

Would it be the week of you hold a player/s out?

Say there is a team that is horrible..So you want to sit out most of your good players that game?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Would be easier to add a second or even third bye week and stretch the 16 over 17 weeks into a 16 over 18-20 weeks, especially if they want everyone to go to Europe and play. Maybe over weeks 7-12 you have everyone take turns and have off a travel week, play a game (add one for #17?) in London, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Kiev and then a travel week back.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This would really suck if you team sucked. 18-20 weeks of watching you team suck it up and lose? 16 weeks is bad enough. Think it might bring on a rash of suicides for Lions fans. :)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the idea of adding a couple more bye weeks. Stretch the season out some.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
18 may lead to 20 and so on.
Leave it as it is.
Besides, we've suffered enough without Rodgers.
Wanna extend that to a couple more weeks?
Forget it.

Reaction score
18 games would be terrible. just more games i have to see that fat *** eddie lacy in. shoulda waited to drafted tre mason or trade for ben tate. someone other than from that loser bust program named UAT have you ever heard lacy talk? mush mouth to the max. more proof that auburn players are superior

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
18 games would be terrible. just more games i have to see that fat *** eddie lacy in. shoulda waited to drafted tre mason or trade for ben tate. someone other than from that loser bust program named UAT have you ever heard lacy talk? mush mouth to the max. more proof that auburn players are superior
Are you a Packers fan and are you serious? :confused:

If you are, someone isn't having a merry Christmas.

Reaction score
long time packer and auburn fan. i got so pissed when we drafted that guy. have you seen wat trent bust richardson turned out to be like and sean alexander? heres another reason we should stay away from them charlie peprah remember him with the Pack? where is he now? another uat bust

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your hatred of Alabama has nullified your good sense, with Rodgers on this team, this kid rushes for 1500 yards easily. The fact he has put up the numbers he has with everyone stacking the box and daring the Pack to throw while Rodgers has been out is testament to his ability. Right now you appear to be doing nothing more than trolling.

If you are still posting come this time next year, lets revisit this, if Lacy has pulled a Trent Richardson at this point next season, I will gladly eat me some crow, but until then, nothing you are saying about Lacy in this point in time is even semi-intelligent.

It is pure nonsense.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
long time packer and auburn fan. i got so pissed when we drafted that guy. have you seen wat trent bust richardson turned out to be like and sean alexander? heres another reason we should stay away from them charlie peprah remember him with the Pack? where is he now? another uat bust
When players enter the pros, it's time to let go of college rivalries and pride.
College is college and pros are pros.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This has got to be a joke. Lacy has been fantastic this season.

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be easier to add a second or even third bye week and stretch the 16 over 17 weeks into a 16 over 18-20 weeks, especially if they want everyone to go to Europe and play. Maybe over weeks 7-12 you have everyone take turns and have off a travel week, play a game (add one for #17?) in London, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Kiev and then a travel week back.

I think definitely a couple extra bye weeks would be great. Give injured players time to heal. It wouldn't help stadium revenue but the TV revenue should increase with the longer season.

I'm not a fan of the whole Europe thing, but I'd love to see the Thursday night games coordinated with the bye weeks so the teams don't have such a quick turnaround. Maybe even add more Thursday games.

Reaction score
I'm not some moron i watched this guy all his career in bammer land. first he had character issues then he fumbled all the time then he couldnt pass block then the one year he starts he only shows out because they had a good oline. sorry if you think im lying and am blinded by my hate but its true. franklin could do everything lacy has been doing if he started and probably would produce more than him

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not some moron i watched this guy all his career in bammer land. first he had character issues then he fumbled all the time then he couldnt pass block then the one year he starts he only shows out because they had a good oline. sorry if you think im lying and am blinded by my hate but its true. franklin could do everything lacy has been doing if he started and probably would produce more than him

Because his college careers matters now....

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He is no longer in college, he has the big boy pants on now and anything to do with him an college does not matter anymore, looks at his stats:

SEASONTEAMGPATTYDSAVGLNGTDFDFUMLST

None of this reflects any of your complaints, Franklin had multiple fumbles which put him directly in the doghouse. Lacy has had no fumble problems.

So, look at is stats, behind a crappy o-line, without the MVP QB and tell us how, as of now, Lacy was a bad pick.

I will save you the trouble, as of now everyone of your "criticisms" of Lacy are completely invalid and any attempt to say otherwise is nonsense.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
18 may lead to 20 and so on.
Leave it as it is.

I like what the CFL did. They went to 18 by eliminating two of the preseason games. It did not change the rates charged for the season ticket packages. Preseason games are generally perceived as a rip off.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Your hatred of Alabama has nullified your good sense...
You are assuming he/she had good sense to begin with. Every post on Lacy indicates no. He/she posted "GUy is having a fluke year and is playin behind a good oline. You'll see he's injury prone and has bad vision." on the Lacy thread.

He/she is either a fool or a troll. And if he/she is the latter, it's an interesting day to begin trolling on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts