Would Aaron Rodgers be a better choice in 2006 ANYWAY?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(this is just my opinion, I easilly,possibly,probably, could be wrong, but I think this is something to throw out there. Lets try not to make this a bash thread.)

Favre(the 2006 Favre) is probably better than Rodgers. Yeah. That is a pretty easy assumption we can live with. But still, could A-Rod be the better choice to play QB?

With our line the way it is(unfinished at this point), which is not very good, we could easilly see Brett throwing 29 interceptions again. He's the gunslinger. He makes things happen. He turns nothing into something. Sometimes.

But his "all or nothing" attitude (which I personally love, and will miss when he retires in 2 years) seems to definitely have it's drawbacks. 29 interceptions drawbacks. Yes, the line sucked, and his WRs were hurt and nonexistent. But nobody made him throw the ball. Nobody put a gun to his head and said "You throw that ball or your little girls are gonna get it, you son of a *****." He threw it, because he is the gunslinger and throws the football through a window that only a brett favre throw could get into.

29 interceptions though. Not all his fault, yeah. But, nobody made him throw the lobs up there when he was getting sacked. Nobody made him force the throws. Why not take a sack? Why not throw it away? The only guess I(personally) can make is that favre is a PROUD competitor.

With a top 10 offensive line(which we've had for a while until last year) Bretts zingers and gunslinging antics were great. But now(2005, but hopefully NOT 2006, but we dont know yet) the aggressive ways seem to be a disaster. His WRs(Who he barely knows cuz they were just signed) arent getting to the spot he wants, and is being picked off. The throw he is forcing because he is about to be sacked...picked off.

Would it be possible that a more calm,conservative approach would be better? Taking a sack isn't the end of the world, not when you have a top 10 defense. Throwing it away doesn't make you a coward(brett STILL barely throws the ball away). Most coaches want you to throw the ball away when you don't have anything instead of throwing a lob pass up, and last year..brett didn't have anything (WRs or Oline help).

We do not know much about Aaron Rodgers in the NFL. We don't know how aggressive he is, if he forces the issue like Brett does. All we know is he is a (supposed) young talent, with tremendous upside.

If Aaron Rodgers IS that calm,conservative QB, and the offensive line is once again not great...should Rodgers get the nod?

I personally hope the line gets fixed, we get a good WR for Javon, and Brett changes his mind and says 2 more years instead of 1, but I thought this was something to think about.

(please no bashing, PM me if you are going to do that)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tromadz said..

Favre(the 2006 Favre) is probably better than Rodgers. Yeah. That is a pretty easy assumption we can live with. But still, could A-Rod be the better choice to play QB?

I stopped reading after "probably"....

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"If Aaron Rodgers IS that calm,conservative QB, and the offensive line is once again not great...should Rodgers get the nod"?

How would any QB be calm with the Oline we have ? lol . I will let others tackle the rest !!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Tromadz said..

I stopped reading after "probably"....

I should have stopped reading at that point to 66 !!!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A calm conservative approach would be better, one with Favre throwing the ball though not Rodgers. From what I've been reading, that is more of what Mike McCarthy is all about, the more pure west coast offense. It would require reiging in Favre a bit but as long as he is willing I think he could be very successful. More of an emphasis on route running and less on running far and launching the ball. This will be better with the somewhat more depleted reciever core too. People seem to forget that the Packers lost 8 games last season by 7 or less points. A dramatic improvement isn't needed. Just some more consistency on the offense particularly in the running game and an improved defense should make up the difference. Rodgers would benefit more by spending another year practicing, getting used to taking snaps behind center instead of from the shotgun formation and learning more about mental aspects of the game.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
A calm conservative approach would be better, one with Favre throwing the ball though not Rodgers. From what I've been reading, that is more of what Mike McCarthy is all about, the more pure west coast offense. It would require reiging in Favre a bit but as long as he is willing I think he could be very successful. More of an emphasis on route running and less on running far and launching the ball. This will be better with the somewhat more depleted reciever core too. People seem to forget that the Packers lost 8 games last season by 7 or less points. A dramatic improvement isn't needed. Just some more consistency on the offense particularly in the running game and an improved defense should make up the difference. Rodgers would benefit more by spending another year practicing, getting used to taking snaps behind center instead of from the shotgun formation and learning more about mental aspects of the game.

yeah i hope A-rod has another year of splinters on his butt from watching brett play all year as well.

good call.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No if you saw Rodgers play in 2005 during Training Camp and preseason you'll know this guy is a BUST waiting to happen. I think he may be worse than Harrington. I have no confidence in Rodgers. I didn't think we should of drafted him last year. I liked Campbell and I really liked Charlie Fyre better last year.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
No if you saw Rodgers play in 2005 during Training Camp and preseason you'll know this guy is a BUST waiting to happen. I think he may be worse than Harrington. I have no confidence in Rodgers. I didn't think we should of drafted him last year. I liked Campbell and I really liked Charlie Fyre better last year.

I'm interested in seein A-rod this year, see what he learned from Favre, the coaching staff, and what he learned about the NFL game in general.

we'll see in camps and mostly pre-season games. come on preseason!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers would have got KILLED with that O line. He had NO movement in the pocket, the little i saw him. He was Kerry Collins. Maybe if he had a solid line he could be OK. Favre still knows how to juke a lineman out of his jock. IF Favre comes back, you play him, period.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
killed? most likely?

29 interceptions? dunno about that.

29 INTS.....yeah......i doubt that.......cause Rodgers would have been on his back before even getting the CHANCE to throw the ball.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do know. did you not read the last lil paragraph i wrote? come on guys, you gotta read the entire thing.

my point is:

Bad Oline+Injured WRs+Gunslinger = 29 interceptions & 4-12 season.

Maybe a kid who doesnt have the pressure that Favre has (he has pressure of being favre, making something out of nothing, creating miracles) would throw less interceptions, throw more balls away, take a couple more sacks(with a bad oline...hes taking sacks!)

that was my point.

Now like my original post says, lets get some oline help, a WR to replace Javon(if he leaves) and have brett back for 2 more years!

I WANT the gunslinger back, but it wont work with no line or WRs(which are solid at this point)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Did you know that 26 teams gave up more sacks then the Packers?

NFL - Teams Been Sacked Total
Packers QB was sacked 27 times.
Houston QB was sacked 68 times.
Steelers QB was sacked 32 times, five more than the Packers and they won the SB.

ESPN - Samkon Gado Player Card
Samkon Gado in six full games (played in two more but was not starter or injured for remainder of season) ammassing 529 yards. That's nearly 90 yards a game and over 1400 yards over a 16 game stretch. (For those who want to include the other two games even though he didn't play more than 2 quarters each, he'd still have had over 1000 yards in the season....) And in one of the six games he only carried the ball TEN times.

Offensive Line might not be as dire as we believe. Perhaps we're still in awe struck mode from Rivera and Wahle being in different jerseys? It doesn't help that the Packers didn't sign a 'big name' free agent to slap in there.

We lost hurt always Flannigan. Do we really miss this guy? I can't recall a weekend where anyone said he did a supperb job. Instead I kept hearing 'Start WELLS sit flanny' now that's a possibility of happening and yet we're still griping?

We have Ahman Green back, William Henderson back. Lost a step? I'm sure they have, however I'd rather have Ahman/William with missing a step over a lot of the possibilities. Don't forget the Gado sensation either.

In light of this I'm not so worried about the OL. Don't get me mistaken. I'm not saying it's freaking solid, I simply think we will get by sufficiently with what we have.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah more teams gave up more sacks than Gb, cuz Favre kept throwin the ball up! and DBs usually came down with them! Not his fault, but he didnt help! lol!

good points though, Zero. Can't wait to see more Gado!

COME BACK BRETT!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the oline was coming together at the end. Now, will the WR's be any good? I don't know. No one really does. Dallas getting TO doesn't mean they will be great. It improves their chances, but no guarentee.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I think the oline was coming together at the end. Now, will the WR's be any good? I don't know. No one really does. Dallas getting TO doesn't mean they will be great. It improves their chances, but no guarentee.

TO with T. Glenn is not fair. Simply not freaking fair. If Bledsoe doesn't toss for over 35 TD and 4,000 yds he should retire. (said in jest)

Our WR will be a year older. Driver may, MAY take a step back but will still be a dependable WR. Fergie, if he was flatter i'd use him to wipe my ***, Gardner will be our 3rd WR and a solid one at that. Boreighter is going to be a contributor more than most anticipate during the middle of the season and will finish strong. Javon, well he's going to pick up where he left off in 2004 but with a massive chip on his shoulder. Murphy is going to have to retire early :(

Now you know :p

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Did you know that 26 teams gave up more sacks then the Packers?

NFL - Teams Been Sacked Total
Packers QB was sacked 27 times.
Houston QB was sacked 68 times.
Steelers QB was sacked 32 times, five more than the Packers and they won the SB.

ESPN - Samkon Gado Player Card
Samkon Gado in six full games (played in two more but was not starter or injured for remainder of season) ammassing 529 yards. That's nearly 90 yards a game and over 1400 yards over a 16 game stretch. (For those who want to include the other two games even though he didn't play more than 2 quarters each, he'd still have had over 1000 yards in the season....) And in one of the six games he only carried the ball TEN times.

Offensive Line might not be as dire as we believe. Perhaps we're still in awe struck mode from Rivera and Wahle being in different jerseys? It doesn't help that the Packers didn't sign a 'big name' free agent to slap in there.

We lost hurt always Flannigan. Do we really miss this guy? I can't recall a weekend where anyone said he did a supperb job. Instead I kept hearing 'Start WELLS sit flanny' now that's a possibility of happening and yet we're still griping?

We have Ahman Green back, William Henderson back. Lost a step? I'm sure they have, however I'd rather have Ahman/William with missing a step over a lot of the possibilities. Don't forget the Gado sensation either.

In light of this I'm not so worried about the OL. Don't get me mistaken. I'm not saying it's freaking solid, I simply think we will get by sufficiently with what we have.

I agree that the OL was not as bad last year as people say. Early in the year we had an unproductive Ahman Green at running back. He looked really slow to me. Late in the year, after Gado got hurt, we had Fisher and Herron at running back. In between with Davenport(for 1 game) and Gado, the running game wasn't bad. In the 7 games in which Davenport and Gado were the primary ball carrier, the Packers averaged 117 yards rushing per game. They averaged 72 in the other 9 games. If the Packers had averaged 117 YPG for the whole season, they would have finished a respectable 13th in the NFL in rushing.

One of the reasons why Favre's stance frustrates me is because he fails to recognize that things will likely improve this season just because guys are healthy. There is little reason to think the Packers' running game won't at least be respectable.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Did you know that Ahman was playing the last few games of last year (2004) injured and it continued to bother him through the next (2005) season until it finally gave out? That would probably explain why he was slower, or atleast appeared slower.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Klemm at LG didnt help.

I dont like when guys play hurt and hurt the team. We know they're tough, but come on.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman didn't look himself when he did play in the preseason. That does explain a lot.

Barry should of been starting at OG last year. I really hope he wins the job this year. HE deserves it.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Klemm at LG didnt help.

I dont like when guys play hurt and hurt the team. We know they're tough, but come on.

Packers averaged 72 YPG rushing in the 8 games Klemm started, 97 YPG in which someone else (Wells) started. In fairness to Klemm, Gado was the primary ball carrier in only 1 game that Klemm started. Green started 6 of them. While I agree that Sherman took too long to replace Klemm, I still think the running back situation was the biggest factor in whether the Packers were able to run the ball.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Klemm just seemed outmatched(I later learned GUARD is not his best position). The Klemm experiment took way too long before the plug was pulled.

Lets get the best line we can get, have it be consistent, no weekly changes like sherman did in preseason, get our RBs healthy, and do the damn thing!

i agree with you, route.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

Now that we have it all figured out, how do we get Brett to see the light?

Hey! I just graduated from Waterboy to Rookie! :joy: :mug:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts