Worthy is killing me.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too soon to judge a player only on a few pre season games in his rookie year.

Gotta give him a season to fully judge.

Dont expect instant HOF performance from a guy straight out of collage.

Unless the guy is genuinely underwhelming, you really need to give a guy three FULL seasons before you can truly begin to assess a player's performance and value.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it "Hate." More like snark, and it's well deserved in cases like these. Labeling a rookie second round draft pick a bust before he's even played a full season is just stupid. Don't want snarky replies? Don't make stupid threads or posts. Simple.
Come on man, we're all Packer fans here... I'm not a hater. No need to call me stupid. We are brotherhood that every other team's fans wish they could have. It's ok to have concern every once in a while.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it "Hate." More like snark, and it's well deserved in cases like these. Labeling a rookie second round draft pick a bust before he's even played a full season is just stupid. Don't want snarky replies? Don't make stupid threads or posts. Simple.

Come on man, we're all Packer fans here... I'm not a hater. No need to call me stupid. We are brotherhood that every other team's fans wish they could have. It's ok to have concern every once in a while.

There's a reading comprehension problem here: SpartaChris didn't call you stupid; he called your earlier comments stupid.

Instead of the sulking response above, maybe you should consider his point. Your original post was garbage: a controversial opinion with no supporting argument/evidence whatsoever. I don't know what kind of reaction you were expecting. I actually thought you were trolling...

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so.. it's stupid to say I'm concerned about someone's play when they get pushed off the ball on every play by a single lineman. Got it! I get they take a few years to develop, but having a second and third string lineman own you in every game you've played doesn't scream stud. This guy was projected 1st round. It is what it is... I'm not a troll, let's just let it go.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a reading comprehension problem here: SpartaChris didn't call you stupid; he called your earlier comments stupid.

Instead of the sulking response above, maybe you should consider his point. Your original post was garbage: a controversial opinion with no supporting argument/evidence whatsoever. I don't know what kind of reaction you were expecting. I actually thought you were trolling...
And sir you appear to be a shark in the water, you smell blood and you come in to attack. I usually equate saying someone posted something stupid with actually being called stupid. Then you come in basically calling me stupid as well by saying my Comprehension is off. No need to be a ****.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, at this stage in the guy's career, it is stupid to express concern over a ROOKIE who just went through their first training camp and hasn't completed an NFL season yet. I don't care what round a player was projected for (Projections are stupid in and of themselves, but I digress,) or drafted in, there is ALWAYS a learning curve in the NFL.

The problem with many of my fellow Packers bretheren is they're highly impatient and unrealistic in their expectations. Regardless of where they're drafted, players generally need time to develop, yet it seems many Packers fans unrealistically expect them to be instant pro-bowlers their first season. And heaven forbid they make some rookie mistakes, because then they become a bust.

All I'm saying is you need to give the guy a couple seasons to improve first before you start expressing concern over their performance.

That is all.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And sir you appear to be a shark in the water, you smell blood and you come in to attack.

I apologize for devouring you like a shark. You were cheesy and delicious.

I usually equate saying someone posted something stupid with actually being called stupid

...That's great except these two things aren't the same. But, by all means, feel free to contribute to the collective intellectual decline in America.

Then you come in basically calling me stupid as well by saying my Comprehension is off. No need to be a ****.

If pointing out a person's mistake is the same as calling them stupid, then we might as well settle into the Idiocracy.

See, there you actually implied I am a **** by saying there was no need to be one.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO it takes longer to evaluate some players new to the NFL than others and that can depend upon which position the player plays and how closely what they are asked to do in the pros resembles what they were asked to do in college. (The most obvious example is QB, particularly one that didn't direct a pro offense in college.) That brings me to Worthy: I don't think it'll take three seasons to form a reasonable evaluation of how well he'll do in his pro career if he doesn't get injured and misses a lot of time. IMO at the end of next season we'll know how well suited he is to the NFL and to the Packers' defensive scheme. McCarthy mentions over and over how important the improvement of players is from their first to second NFL season and although there are exceptions I do think that's the rule. After their first season, they know what they have to work on - for example many have to get stronger. And heading into their second season, they're familiar with the scheme, their routine and they have fully experienced NFL competition. At Michigan State Worthy was mostly asked to one-gap. In Green Bay he's also being asked to two-gap and of course the scheme, even for DL, is more complex as are the blocking schemes he'll face. It takes some time to adjust to those new responsibilities. But I will say this about my expectations for Worthy this season: We had better see the effect of his reported best asset - a quick first step. I expect rookie mistakes and inconsistency but I also expect to see the evidence of his physical attributes that got him drafted where he was. And next year I expect to see a preview of how his NFL career is likely to play out. Not the last word, but a preview. Because as big as the jump from college to the NFL is, a genius IQ is not required to play DL in the NFL and one season's experience ought to be enough.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it takes longer to evaluate some players new to the NFL than others and that can depend upon which position the player plays and how closely what they are asked to do in the pros resembles what they were asked to do in college.

I've been thinking about this as well. It occurred to me when they took Perry (knowing they'd have to teach him a new scheme and new techniques) rather than Courtney Upshaw who was already a great pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. I assumed it's because they thought that Upshaw had a better chance to produce this year due to a more shallow learning curve but that once he gets going Perry will be the superior player for the bulk of his career. Of course, Upshaw is injured and hasn't taken the starting job they tried to give him in Baltimore, but that's neither here nor there. The point is, they're taking the long view. This is a bit frustrating in that championship windows close so fast in the nfl nowadays, but I guess we just have to trust that they know what they're doing.

Anyway, I suspect the same is true for Worthy. There were probably plenty of guys that had played DE in a 3-4 who would be having more of an impact right now, but down the road (and I hope it's not three years) we'll see that Worthy is doing a better job than those other guys.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It absolutely is too early to say any rookie is a bust when he hasn't played a regular season game. But, to the original post, I think the point he was trying to make (maybe he just didn't state it as well as he'd like) was that Worthy's preseason play is a bit worrisome heading into the regular season. As much as people may think it's foolish to rely on rookies, that's just not true in today's NFL. Rookies are relied upon plenty to be contributors. Worthy was a second-round pick, and the Packers coaches have put him in a position - and stated as much - where they need him to contribute immediately. And from what I saw in the preseason, I, too, am a bit worried about how much of an immediate impact he will make. I like his potential in the long term plenty. But, to be productive this year, he needs to learn to use his hands and develop a counter-move. From what I saw, he basically relies purely on his initial burst. If that doesn't amount to anything, he tended to get swallowed by the block the rest of the play. There's plenty of time for him to work on this and improve during the season, but I agree with the main point of this post - Worthy's play to date is a bit concerning over whether he will make the kind of impact we had hoped.

Members online

Latest posts