Worth reading: MM's and TT's future, possible GM candidates

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm good with that. One of the few people that like the McCarthy/TT duo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although MM irks me sometimes he's the best man for the job right now. I've been on the Gruden or cowher bandwagon in the past but MM has a great relationship with Rodgers and that is extremely important to the teams success . He trust Rodgers and Rodgers trust him.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Although MM irks me sometimes he's the best man for the job right now. I've been on the Gruden or cowher bandwagon in the past but MM has a great relationship with Rodgers and that is extremely important to the teams success . He trust Rodgers and Rodgers trust him.

While I agree that McCarthy is the right guy for the job I sometimes get the impression Rodgers does have some issues with him and I´m not totally convinced they truly have a great relationship.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That is an excellent article and I recommend it to all Packers fans. It goes through the history of the Harlan changing the organizational structure and the hiring of Wolf. It also talks about possible replacements for Thompson should he decide to retire.

I don't favor extending McCarthy until Murphy gets a better idea of how long Thompson plans to stay as GM. I believe McCarthy is in his dream job so there is no hurry in locking him up. Ideally Thompson and McCarthy retire at the same time (after two or three consecutive championships!) and Murphy hires John Schneider as VP/GM (even if it costs a draft pick) who then hires his HC.

The article also contains some interesting information about Russ Ball I wasn't aware of. Again, excellent article - I wish the title to this thread was more all-encompassing to encourage more to read it.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets not even talk about ted thompson retiring... mike mccarthy is a cornerstone. sign and pay the man.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
His only fault is he has a few plays he won't let go of, but he's still one of the best offensive talent developers in the NFL, and one of the better playcallers. Lock him in.

H

HardRightEdge

Judging from the quotes in that link, Thompson is taking it one day at a time. I guess he'll retire on the "best day available", lol.

Seriously though, one would think that was just typical Thompson evasiveness...you'd like to think he'd give Murphy at least a full off season to find a replacement.

Schneider/McCarthy would be a nice combo.

Anybody know the deal with McCloughan? Twice retired for personal reasons by the age of 42 and now running a scouting service out of his home office?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Judging from the quotes in that link, Thompson is taking it one day at a time. I guess he'll retire on the "best day available", lol.

LOL.

Seriously though, one would think that was just typical Thompson evasiveness...you'd like to think he'd give Murphy at least a full off season to find a replacement.

I think so as well, it seems that he has already committed to the 2015 draft.

Anybody know the deal with McCloughan? Twice retired for personal reasons by the age of 42 and now running a scouting service out of his home office?

No idea.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ugh to both of them. Besides the fact that no coach has won a SB with 2 different franchises, both have been out of the game for too long IMO. I have never been a gruden fan, cowher I have respect for.

I would favor an assistant over a big name.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ugh to both of them. Besides the fact that no coach has won a SB with 2 different franchises, both have been out of the game for too long IMO. I have never been a gruden fan, cowher I have respect for.

I would favor an assistant over a big name.
Not as a HC, no

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many have tried it? Seems the sample is small. Guys who die prematurely shouldn't count.

Honestly I think it's age more than anything as well as outdated schemes. I remember reading something on avg age of SB winning coaches that said it leaned younger than older.

I would be interested in seeing how many sb winning coaches have been fired before as hc

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I would be interested in seeing how many sb winning coaches have been fired before as hc

Six coaches that were previously fired by an NFL team won the Super Bowl with another team. The list includes Weeb Ewbank, Mike Shanahan, Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy, Tom Coughlin and Pete Carroll, who was even fired by two NFL teams before winning the Super Bowl last season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Packer Update weighs in on the issue of succession. http://packerupdate.net/?p=33582
If Thompson retires before McCarthy, I hope Schneider is offered the job and doesn't let the fact he and McCarthy are friends would deter him from taking the GM job.
But would Schneider want to be in a position where he might one day have to fire his buddy? Or would he rather stay in the Great Northwest until McCarthy exits?
That's obviously just speculation. If that's how it works out, I would hope Murphy would give Schneider full power as VP/GM with no strings attached.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

For the love, just extend MM til 2016 when TT's contract is up too

Well, Thompson´s contract only runs through the 2016 draft, so their contracts kind of end at the same time at the moment.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Mark Murphy told Ian Rapoport today that no extension will happen for McCarthy as long as the team doesn´t extend Thompson.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just the other day Thompson said this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/18/ted-thompson-im-just-getting-started/
“I’m just getting started,” Thompson said, via the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “No, I feel pretty good.”

The guy isn't married, has no kids, and unless he's bored or tired really has no reason to quit. The only issue for fans is that TT has perfectly honed his evasive answering, and extended it beyond personnel talk to himself as well. It's frustrating for fans but what would you rather have...a GM that honestly answers every question that a reporter jams in his face? I'm more than happy with the TT/MM duo and hope they extend both for another five years. Everybody has kickout clauses these days.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one hope this duo sticks around for a while. For those who want one or both gone this to me is a perfect example of the grass in greener scenario. How many fanbases would give an arm to have the consistency the Packers have had for some time now. Every year there are teams that are supposed to be good and they end up laying an egg. Then you have the supposed doormat who jumps up and becomes relevant but seem to disappear within a season or two. Every single year we know we will have a legit shot at the Norris title and a deep playoff run. Don't get me wrong, we don't make this deep PO run every year but the simple fact that we stay relevant year in year out is something that I for one am very proud of! I try not to but I find myself playing the "what if" game when thinking of all the injuries that have hampered us in years past. We are one of the younger teams every year yet we consistently put a nice product on the field and give us fans something to be hopeful about. I say kudos to both Mike and Ted and while they are far from perfect I would be hard pressed to come up with many other duos I would want at the helm of my beloved team! GPG!!

Members online

Latest posts