Worth a look??

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Driver being injured and our ranks a little thin at reciever, should the pack bring in Doug Gabriel fresh off Oaklands cut list. He is a big target at 6'2" and 215 lbs. just the kind of reciever that MM likes. He has always been a good chain mover and in the west coast offense I think he would be ok. Also, Favre has this ability to make a so so reciever seem better than they really are, point and case Bill Schoeder, Corey Bradford.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think we are thin at WR at all. I feel really good with Driver, Jennings, Jones, Martin, Holiday and then we will get Koren Robinson back.

OP
OP
M

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I agree that we are not thin in talent but in experience, even though Gabriel is young, he has more NFL experience than Jennings, Jones, Holiday, and Ruvell Martin combined.

Reaction score
Magic, at this point in time I don't think it's useful bringing in Gabriel.

He'd come in to the situation without knowing our playbook, which would really limit the way we could use him (for at least the early part of the season).

Then there is the fact that he has absolutely no chemistry with either Brett or A-Rod. That in itself will take time to build, and thus further hamper Gabriel's usefulness to the Packers early on.

Given the fact that our KR/PR is Blackmon, he wouldn't really be able to contribute in any real way immediately. It'd be like carrying dead weight on our roster, when instead we could use one of the 53 man roster spots to carry an extra kicker in an attempt to get a late draft pick or something.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems to fit the West Coast. We should bring him in for the rest of TC to see if he could take Martin or Holiday's spot. I think Gabriel is an upgrade over Martin.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he would have been available in the offseason, I would have said definately yes. At this point, maybe. While not deep on experience, I feel the group we have has shown enough to justify faith in their ability to succeed this season. Gabriel has the size and speed combo that would seem a natural fit in this offense, but his lack of familiarity with the playbook and chemistry with teammates, combined with some personality issues(if I remember correctly) would lead me to shy away.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
He had trouble fitting in in NE.. and they were awful at WR last year, so there are questions in my mind of either his personality or talent. Looking at the numbers he seems to have Fergy type numbers...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are going to add a WR at this point they will need to be clearly better than Martin or Holiday. A few weeks down the road we will be getting krob back so by the time a new guy could fit in they would definately have to be more than an average receiver and be able to play a role long term.

Otherwise they come in now, sit on the bench, and leave when KRob get's back.

I mean. What's the point?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Different player... but adding this kid to the PS and trying to turn him into a safety might be something rewarding..... Marcus Maxey... Played for the U of Miami... little too slow in the foot at CB but physical enough to transition to safety... 6-2 ... 205... just cut with KC.

Give him a look for a season... reminds me of a taller LeRoy Butler early in his career...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what we got over Doug Gabriel and I think Driver will more than likely be ready to go against Philly. I'm guessing he's listed probable on the injury report. Maybe questionable.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had trouble fitting in in NE.. and they were awful at WR last year, so there are questions in my mind of either his personality or talent. Looking at the numbers he seems to have Fergy type numbers...

yea NE and then he gets cut by the Raiders who traded Moss, they have nothing as well so im guessing he must suck or be hurt or something.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
If you can't cut it in Oakland you flat out can't cut it.

Exactly, Oakland is the perhaps the worst team in the NFL. Why would anyone want to sign one of there rejects.

Members online

Latest posts